Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So what should be the first building you have your intrepid pioneers work on. A polymer factory? That seems to be my bottle neck more often than not, since I think it’s the first thing that you “need” which isn’t available on the Martian surface... but it always seems a toss up between that or a reliable source of metal. What do they do in the streams with the founders/next 12 colonists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

I generally find that before I let the first colony ship land I have:
-housing
-food (usually a hydroponics tower)
-clinic
-grocer and/or diner set up

If I have excess polymer I'll also put a track field down. After that I set up a Polymer facility ASAP since a) it's nice to no longer rely on Earth for a resource and b) they're so easy to set up and supply.

Also I just wanna say, this game's purty:

You really can’t lose with a diner. I don’t know if it is better than a grocer, but I like to think about the grumbling scientist with two PhDs from MIT who lands on the red planet and finds out that they are going to be the first bus boy on mars.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The hint about putting supply depots near areas where drones overlap is a great suggestion. Right now my Martian colony is doing the tried and true “throw poo poo to the wall and see what sticks” method of colonial development, but hopefully in my next game I’ll actually think out how I want my colony to grow better.

Also, does anyone know how much money you get per rare metal received by earth? My colony can now finally mine them, so I’m looking forward to exporting “something” in the near future.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I kind of like setting up a super efficient colonial base more than when the colonists arrive and the game truly starts. If only Space Y would let me be the VP of space logistics instead of a big deal colonial official...

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

canepazzo posted:

What this game sorely needs is Dwarf Therapist.

I think you’ll find that people can handily lift themselves out of depression with equal parts gambling and scenic walks in parks, much like in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Europe and Blue Sun seem like the best two starts for real games. ( I don't count Mars Mission which is a tutorial. ).

Blue Sun getting that deep mining early plus cheap shuttles, plus better deep mining lets you solve a lot of issues just with cash flow.

5 free techs plus an expanded tree helps Europe in everything right off the bat. Faster early tech just seals the deal. Constant influxes of cash per research lets you order new shuttles in fairly regularily.

I’ve been playing as the USA because I like the safety net of having period cash infusions, but I agree that Blue Sun is probably the better outfit to go with. Especially once you’re good enough to not be over-building at the start of the game :/