Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phi230 posted:

It's very bad that you have to manually maintain every building
Ugh. There's really no way to get the drones to do that? I'd have thought that they would attend to maintenance problems automatically if they had appropriate resources stockpiled in range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

How many sols does it usually take for mysteries to trigger? I've got a stable colony and expansion plans, but I kind of feel like I've won this one already.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

Mine started about sol 90 or so.
Cool - thanks.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

There's a limit to how many drones your controllers can handle at any one time, so that can be a bit of a bottleneck. But there's also a tech that'll raise that limit to a hundred each, so yeah you can go hog wild in the long run. I usually fill up whatever spare space left in my early supply rockets with additional drones, makes building up and maintaining those early domes much less of a hassle.
I've found launching with a single drone, 4+ drone hubs, and inventor to be a really solid QOL improvement. The drones will suck up all the surface resources in range and you'll have the workforce you need to immediately slam down extractors and infrastructure.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is there a way to remove piping after you research the improved pipes breakthrough? I hadn't realized that they fixed the bug with water/oxygen/electricity not flowing through domes, and consequently I've got a bunch of ugly pipe routing around my exteriors that I'd like to eliminate.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 19, 2018

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Power cables and water pipes use 1 metal per 5 tiles. The first costs 1 metal and the next 4 are free. So each one of those dots costs the same as a 5 tile line. I don't think you're saving any money.
The flowers are pretty though. I'll give them that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

So, my current game gave me both the cloning and soylent green breakthroughs, which sounds like a recipe for a delicious dystopia.

The trouble is that there's zero need for the clones from a practical standpoint (see discussion above re overpopulation). Feels like a missed opportunity.

Also, I'm on sol 95 and still no mystery. WTF.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I got that same map, but there's a few subtle differences, notice he got a crater in the top left and I got a plateau.

Coordinates are 16S 149E.
Thanks - I might check this out in my next run, as I think that I made things a bit too easy on myself environmentally, and a giant strip of dusty death in the middle of the map would be fun to work around.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Along the lines of dust-alley, above, are there any other cool maps that people have run across, with coordinates?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

Whoops, early morning phone posting. I meant Mechanical Parts for the wind turbines. They cost a lot and I kept being low on them. It was annoying.

So I made a Solar-only game. The maintenance for solar panels is just 1 metal, so they are stupidly-cheap. Batteries (power accumulators) cost polymers and use polymers for repair. Once you have a Polymer Factory, they can be made easily out of just water and fuel. Even in my poor-playing early games, fuel and water are not hard to come by, meaning that the Solar+battery combo is the cheapest/easiest option for me.

Also, I am bad at the game, so I'm sure I'm not playing "optimally"
I do the same thing. It's probably not "optimal," but it's a low stress way to get yourself into the mid-game.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

I also want a mod that lets me specifically bring in a genius or celebrity regardless of their other traits. Normally I wouldn't be interested in a lazy alcoholic whiner, but if they give me 50 research points or some funding, it's worth it.
You can turn your filters off and hand pick passengers if you want to. It takes a while, but that's how I've handled what you're talking about.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

Right. And if there'd been any warning that there was such a possibility, then sure, I'd take the hit and feel stupid. But there was no warning; in fact, the narrative continually emphasizes how removed you are, how remote, and how little you can actually do anything. Following that with "Oh, but there were secret missiles in space around Mars, instant missile strike, yah!" is just more evidence of bad, bad design.
It's good narrative though, if you consider the point to be that the Martian colony, despite its isolation, is still connected to humanity as a whole, and can't escape being impacted by the conflict.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Heffer posted:

I haven't played this game since launch. Are renegades still an issue? As in no way to get rid of them, or convert them back to normal?
Is it possible to shift them to a dome for undesirables, and then cut off the air supply? I've never had renegades or idiot gurus - legit asking.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

Looks like they just announced new expansion(?), but I can't tell if it's part of the season pass or not.
On its face, this expansion looks like a sort of 4x conversion, with "rival colonies," trading, and the like. Could be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Insanite posted:

Doesn't increasing comfort get rid of them? Or can security stations?
I think high comfort prevents them from ever showing up, which is probably why I've never seen them.