Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I have paralyzed vocal chords, and this makes my voice sound like a raspy whisper when talking over a mic. (Think the bastard love child of Gollum and Darth Vader). This makes talking with friends, playing games, anything using a mic really hard.
I need help finding some type on hardware or software that can help clear up that raspiness in real-time. I'd obviously prefer to have a free or low-cost solution (being disabled in a wheelchair makes funds kinda tight), but I'm determined to find a way to make this work no matter what.

I'm not sure what other info to give to start, but don't hesitate to ask. I'm really hoping you guys can help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can you afford an arm that gets the mic real close to your face? Like what you see singers/radio presenters doing? Getting it closer and cutting down on gain will improve sound quality a lot, and get rid of a lot of background/keyboard noise. From there, you can boost input a bit, and if you use discord, your friends can set your individual volume high. From there you could get a decent, lower end condenser like a gomic or similar.

Alternatively, I think the modmic is really good, and attaches to your headphones for the same effect. You have to tie the cable to your headphone cable though.

In my opinion, if money is tight, and sound quality is important to you, set a little aside and get something nice.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

Can you afford an arm that gets the mic real close to your face? Like what you see singers/radio presenters doing? Getting it closer and cutting down on gain will improve sound quality a lot, and get rid of a lot of background/keyboard noise. From there, you can boost input a bit, and if you use discord, your friends can set your individual volume high. From there you could get a decent, lower end condenser like a gomic or similar.

Alternatively, I think the modmic is really good, and attaches to your headphones for the same effect. You have to tie the cable to your headphone cable though.

In my opinion, if money is tight, and sound quality is important to you, set a little aside and get something nice.

Getting a mic really close to my face makes things worse. When I talk, there is excess air coming out my mouth due to my vocal chords being paralyzed far apart. While undetectable when talking in person, a mic picks up on it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does it pick it up with the mic on the side? If you put a cloth between the microphone and your mouth to simulate a windsock, does that make it better? If it does, you could try find a pop filter and proper sock that fits your current setup? Sorry I can't be more help, this is about the end of my knowledge. Would your doctors will know of a good method, or they can ask their other patients?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Voice modulation software would be the first thing to try. There are free versions of those around, but most of those will put weird effects front and center. Their core function is shifting pitches and formants, and you'd want something that only does that very subtly. I don't know how well it could help with raspiness. That would be like trying to take distortion back out of a signal, it can't really be done. If you find something that lets you play with equalizer settings and formants to pull out the lower frequencies in the whisper to make it sound more like a speaking voice.

A lavalier microphone would avoid the air problem, and would give a voice changer more to work with, but would also be more expensive. Any gaming headset microphone is going to be telephone quality.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
This is extreme but have you considered a vocoder (like ones for playing music)? You’d have to go through a digital audio work station or something but if you set it to hold a note and added chorus it might soften the rasp

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
lol who wants to play video games with roger troutman

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
You might be able to use some sort of software that allows you to block a particular frequency with a notch filter in real time. You would have to figure out where the whispering sound is located frequency wise and you might end up blocking sound you need but it could possibly work. Sorry, I can't recommend specific software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Medical person here that used to work in a specialty that dealt with these kinds of issues on a daily basis:

Why are your vocal cords paralyzed?

Is it unilateral or bilateral vocal cold paresis/paralysis? Does one move better than the other? Someone should of told you this at some point.

If one does move better than the other, has anyone looked into botox injections at a high quality university setting like Stanford ENT/Speech for you? Sometimes if you add bulk to one side, you can get enough contact to allow for near full vibration for voicing.

Also something to try that's low cost would be an electrolarynx (little cylinder you place up to your neck that vibrates allowing you to 'mouth sounds' to get an 'ok' amount of intelligibility) but I would see a speech therapist first to see if it's even a viable option as I don't know why you have a VF paralysis and if you have any other issues like restricted range of motion with your upper extremities, difficulty fully opening/closing your mouth, any difficulty with tongue range of motion, dentition/other oral or pharyngeal anatomical issues, etc. that might make an electrolarynx not a good idea.

There's also intraoral electrolarynx's, but there's only 1 company that makes em, requires the creation of a custom made oral appliance like a retainer so it can fit between your maxillary/mandibular teeth, and there's little research on their efficacy aside from random case studies.

• Locked thread