Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Going to plant my flag early.

Safe pick: Hero Academia 3
Risky Pick: Magical Girl Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
EMM put it better than I could, but I loved Mob Psycho 100. I found it alternately thrilling, heartwarming, and hillarious, and Aritaka Reigen is one of my favorite characters in any kind of media.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I will probably also watch Magical Girl Site. I've got a close friend who loves Xtreme Edge, and I love magical girl stuff, so it seems like a good place to meet in the middle.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

yuri's revenge

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Space Flower posted:

in versions of konosuba before the anime, aqua has panties, yes. and in this interview with the character designer for the anime who also handled animation direction on half the series, they talk about how stuff like how darkness's breasts just kind of. grew, and grew. and he admits to being responsible for the bouncy no-bra animation throughout the series. or how he just happened to be responsible for the succubus episode and the scene where darkness scrubs kazuma's back.

it's not mentioned, but i imagine aqua's situation was the result of similar, mm, happenstance.

Hey, thanks for linking this! It was a really fun read.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nephthys posted:

Juvenile sexual humor is everywhere, sure, but in anime the pantyshot and accidental pervert jokes are weirdly ubiquitous tropes. I can't think of equivalents in western media I've seen.

:agreed:

Not to say that Western stuff doesn't sexualize or objectify characters - of course it does! But a lot of anime will sneak in a panty shot or whatever in a scene that's not even supposed to be funny or sexy "as a bonus" in a way that totally ruins the intent of the scene, and that sucks (and similar stuff sucks in Western media too).

I mean, ymmv on this stuff. I love a lot of very fanservicey anime, but I think it's fair to say 'this is gross' sometimes.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 28, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sharkopath posted:

Somebody please link an eye on Springfield opening for illustrative purposes.

It's a complex thing because artists are by nature thirsty af. Figure drawing is a skill mostly honed by drawing lots and lots of nude people and the thirst transcends gender and sexuality, men and women artists partake equally even if you may only notice one or the other. Not to treat artists like a protected class or different from non drawing folk but it's my near universal experience that this is true. Its filtered through a world dominated by a patriarchal lens and there's a huge variety of social stances you can take on whether sexuality is good or bad or maybe only certain kinds of it are good or should it be regulated or if not censored tamed at least, but I think you're always gonna see it because like I said, artists thirsty af.

Personally I wanna see more harmless or healthy sexuality and relationships in everything because love and lust is a huge part of the human condition and we should probably be sharing realistic and good relationships with kids more than we are showing them violence. Love good.

thanks for this post!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Everything Burrito posted:

I like the "thirsty" descriptor as well because to me saying i'm thirsty isn't really the same as saying i want to gently caress [this person]. it's more an abstract appreciation for something horny in nature.

also prompto is a good boy and I love when he takes boyfriend selfies with noctis

You start out in 1997 saying "horny, horny, horny". But by 2015 that hurts you, backfires. So you start talking about thirst, best girl, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Btw burrito I totally agree with you. You can, for instance, describe Takagi-san as 'thirsty' for Nishkata, where it would he gross to call her horny for him.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

probably should take the giant spoilerblock reviews of an old mecha show to the mecha thread

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

let the 90s die

The 90s were a really good time for California's music.

Specifically, in 1992, three of my favorite artists had their debut studio albums

Sleep: Holy Mountain
Dr. Dre: The Chronic
Pavement: Slanted and Enchanted

I can't let that die.

Ed: I'm a lovely Sleep fan, Volume 1 exists and is good and came out in 1991.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

I swear (I may have mis-remembered) I read somewhere that he was working on something like Wake Up, Girls! yet again and I was like "Dude, no". Oh well.

DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND
Follow the smoke towards the riff-filled land :rock:

Guess I'm listening to all of Dopesmoker again today.

:rock:PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN:rock:
:rock:NAZARETH:rock:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Also, not entirely anime-related but this is Eela's fault!

Just kidding. loving love this record. This is the third time I buy it. :rock:
'fault?'

DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND
FOLLOW THE SMOKE TO THE RIFF-FILLED LAND

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't like this. Get me out of here!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Silver2195 posted:

Watching the first episode of Magical Girl Site now, and wow, this is pretty tryhard. I burst out laughing when this exchange happened:

Heroine: Every day, all I think about is dying.
Bystander: Isn't it a little early for this?

Yes, I know it's not intended that way (the heroine's line is internal monologue and the bystander is probably talking about the train schedule), but I couldn't help but parse it as a Signal from Fred, some part of the writer's brain wondering if they were going too dark too early in the show. Even Magical Girl Raising Project had enough restraint not to have the protagonist nearly get raped in the first episode, or make literally everyone we see her interact with before becoming a magical girl be monstrously cruel to her just for kicks, or have the magical girls bleed from the eyes when they used their powers.

More sample dialogue:
Heroine: Please, don't hit me in the stomach. I won't be able to get my period...
Older brother: Why the hell would I care what happens to your body?

This sounds loving dire.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't know if it was commerically successful but Witchblade was a pretty good at 'edgy' Magical Girl.

Symphogear is pretty dark at the beginning of S1, but not grim. I think the first episode of Symphogear is really effective writing. It's way, way darker than the rest of the series, but that darkness has a real point. It establishes real, personal stakes for each of the main characters and outlines their relationships right off the bat.

The traumas that Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Chris have suffered deeply inform their characters. You only need a little glimpse to understand, and the show (mostly) doesn't linger on the traumas themselves, but how the characters respond to and move past them.

It's a very silly show where things happen just because they're cool, often, but it's never pointlessly cruel for the sake of visual impact, and I really appreciate that.

TLDR: surprise, surprise, I really like Symphogear.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
But enough about a Centaur's Life....

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Endorph put it way better than I could have. For me, it's part habit, part real defensivess. Anime is an easy target, and it's easier to put some ironic distance between yourself and the things you like.

Part of it is affection, though. It's the kind of reverse-pride of the Primus fan. When I'm hanging out with my friends, the ones who like each other the most give each other the most poo poo, you know?

It's one of those things that works better with facial cues and tone of voice and all the other things text doesn't give you, though. I can go up to my friends and go "hoo boy, have I been watching some garbage" and they'll get what I mean.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

I'd watch 'I can't Believe my Magical Cyborg Harem Fantasy has so Much Paperwork!'.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
All in on Winning Ticket. It's in the name!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Zettace posted:

So horse anime/Umamusume passed the 3 episode test with flying colors for me.

For those of you on the fence because of it's weird and somewhat awkward premise, it's actually a really fun show. Turns out it's actually just a cute girls™ doing track and field anime...except they're personified historical race horses and when they win they do idol performances (I lol'd when they abruptly showcased this in the first episode).

tl;dr: Horse anime is actually: Track and Field Equinem@ster/UMA LIVE!

all us anime fans should be sent to the glue factory

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

we need to intentionally make our shows look worse in order to nostalgia pander

at least the weird scanlines in kino 2003 were just trying to make the whole show seemed like half-remembered events and not just random downsampling to emulate some transient technological issue

I don't think this is pandering, unless you consider anything deliverately low-fi pandering. I think it's kind of cool to go for a visual style that isn't crisp. I don't think the down-and-up-scaling is a very good solution to their problem, though. (I've only watched a couple clips, though,so don't take my opinion too seriously.. yet)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
name me Nyquil

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Neeksy posted:

I love getting peeks into the provincial politics of other countries. (i.e. What is Japan’s Florida or Kentucky, etc.?)

gunma man

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Wasn't Angel Mom A Centaur's Life a Chinese co-production? I liked that one well enough

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think the seasonal anime sickness has left me. I'm sure I'll keep up with MHA and FranXX and I'll probably check in with megalobox and golden kamuy eventually, but I'm just not as interested in trying to keep up with the season this time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sharkopath posted:

You won't watch it because I've made it illegal for you to watch it, as Official Censor.

I want a title too! I mean, besides Loser Nerd.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Neeksy posted:

Sometimes it’s nice to watch shows about people being sincere and the societal rewards of positive communication or whatever.

My favorite anime are the sincere sappy ones

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Julias posted:

May I reccomend that you watch both seasons of Encouragement of Climb (Yama no Susume) then, if you haven't already checked them out.

Never heard of it! I'll check it out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

Darling in the Franxx confirmed for anime of the decade

I don't agree with you there but it's real good

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

theres a difference between a fairly individual artist making a manga and then a variety of corporate deals going down to make an anime to promote it, or a studio wanting to make an original anime and securing funding from various interested parties, and a giant corporation cranking out a mascot to make tons of merchandise of, imo

I've never thought about it that way before. Makes sense.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

I think in the context of the show itself (groupthink is literally about to kill everybody) it comes across a lot more harsh. And the phrase 'the most terrifying thing in the world' makes it seem a lot heavier than just 'we fought and killed some people,' imo.

:yossame:

It's as close to a thesis statement as Gatchaman Crowds: Insight gets. The whole season is about people's willingness to get swept up in groupthink & nationalism rather than actually engage in politics. These behaviors lead people to either actively persecute minorities who don't fit in, or at least sit by and watch it happen, which is not considered acceptable by the show.

Then the show draws an explicit parallel to Japan's self-destructive, jingoistic fervor during WW2. it honestly really impressed me, I rarely see that kind of self-reflection in any medium.

I really don't like when people punish a piece of media for engaging with a tough subject for not getting everything 100% correct according to current internet left doctrine. If you do that, you're kind of abandoning the field to the right, who have no qualms with just saying their piece.

That's not to say that shows shouldn't be criticized for where they screw up, but I wish people would be more charitable towards shows that get things 98% right if they stumble at the finish line.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Quote is not edit.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 28, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I need to get back into Shirobako. It's super good but I just kinda... stopped?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

a kitten posted:

https://twitter.com/pripri_anime/status/990564982403182594?s=21

"The decision to create the Princess Principal sequel!

All six chapters are released in theaters from 2019.

A complete new drawing of the last episode of the TV series please enjoy!!! pripri-anime.jp #pripri "

Six actual full length movies? One movie with six chapters? Secretly just OVAs? I never know what weird artifacts machine translation might introduce.

Whatever. Awesome!

:siren::bisonyes::siren: I love PriPri so much!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
A Star Driver movie but good this time

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Megalobox owns. I still wish they didn't down-and-up-scale it, but every single other thing succeeds on pretty much every level. I'm totally hooked.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Crain posted:

Bad news: With the two shows using the same "technique" this season being otherwise popular and great shows there will probably be more studios using that art style.

Unless that actually costs a lot of money to do in which case never mind.

It is not expensive to do at all, it's a very simple technique.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

cathead posted:

I'm thinking about making a thread for Umamusume as it has turned out (in my opinion) to be a pretty legitimately entertaining "girls doing their best at sports" anime with a fun cast and lots of interesting references to real horse racing. The idol stuff (which I'm pretty sure is meant to represent the Winner's Circle after a race) is actually kept to a relative minimum, in fact there have been a few races so far where they just straight up skipped that part or it was like a 5 second cut. They do still run in fancy idol-ish outfits though, but that sort of "just playing the concept straight and not giving a poo poo" kind of feeling is part of what's made the show fun to watch for me. I'd recommend giving it a second look if you passed it up originally but are into stuff like GuP.

Also the latest episode had an eating contest between 3 characters that was a reference to an actual horse race in how it played out.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think for it to count, the girls won't turn into cars, they'll just be car-themed, Kemono Friends style. To be honest I'm shocked it doesn't already exist. Moe anthropomorphism knows no bounds.

The concept kind of weirds me out. I'm fine with animal-as-moe-girl but object-as-moe-girl is apparently my line in the sand.

• Locked thread