Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Most excited for: Hinamatsuri, Golden Kamuy, Kase-san

I'm going to try and keep up with Amanchu S2, MHA S3, Megalo Box, and Franxx as well, and I'll give some others a shot if you all have good things to say about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

OH HEY BY THE WAY

Looks pretty cool once I muted it. Maybe it's a personal failing on my part, but to me dub VAs almost always sound like the same half dozen aging baby boomers trying to impersonate angsty teenagers. It's uncomfortable.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I actually kinda like the one where the crowd in the stands behind them is just a flat blurry picture. It reminds me of how Bakemonogatari would have bystanders just be like stick figures.

Also the CG stick figure extras in Kyousougiga, I thought those were kinda cool and fit the trippy atmosphere.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

August 25th! Movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl89-kF75FI

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That PV just came out today, but I'm not sure if the movie news itself is old or not.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hinamatsuri is really good guys.

Yeah!

I'm really happy with Hinamatsuri's production quality, and while the pace is fairly brisk I think that it works well and keeps the jokes snappy. I can't wait for the other character arcs because the "side" characters are really what carry the manga after the first few chapters.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Hinamatsuri is already my favorite show of the season. Episode 2 was perfect, funniest show I've seen since Nichijou I think.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Do we have enough anime-only Hinamatsuri watchers to justify an anime thread? I guess even for us manga readers it might be nice to have a place to talk about the adaptation other than the manga thread or here in the season thread.

I have never made a thread in my 10 years on SA, but if there is demand then I'll give it a shot.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Julias posted:

It feels weird not to have one tbh; I didn't want to link the manga thread since there were bound to be spoilers for people just getting into it through the show. I plan on checking out the show, but have no interest in the manga, so I've been keeping clear of the thread.

Good point. Alright give me three hours or so and I will try to make a good OP in between doing my laundry and drinking this bottle of Rumplemintz. Gosh it's nice outside!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I made a thread for the Hinamatsuri anime! I hope I did OK.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You did great!

Thanks!

Now I can catch up on shows. I'm going to watch Megalobox and the new season of Amanchu.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I guess I can empathize with Hinamatsuri viewers who might get the impression that a lot of the comedy is built upon Schadenfreude, but my opinion is that the ways in which the various characters deal with their misfortunes is the real source of some great laughs and makes the characters very relatable. They're all flawed goofballs and I love it.

The tonal whiplash of Anzu's current troubles compared to everything else going on is pretty severe, granted, but (without spoiling anything) I think it adds quite a lot to the story overall and Anzu is a great character.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Viridiant posted:

Hinamatsuri and Megalobox are imo the two best new shows this season.

:agreed:

I'm also watching Amanchu season 2 and MHA season 3, and I'm going to make time on Sunday to watch the dragon pilot show because it looks cute and weird and interesting.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

:bisonyes:

That pose makes this music pop into my head instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5XaLsSfoWg&t=8s

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

What have the thin-eyebrowed Mugi imposter and the tiny Nodoka wannabe done with Azusa? :ohdear:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I kinda like Hinamatsuri's quick pace, but it's a drat shame they seem to be skipping almost all of the yakuza/Nitta chapters even if it means we get to see more of the girls' antics. I'm not sure if it's a directorial decision or outside pressure to leave out the organized crime stuff, but either way it's my only real complaint with the anime adaptation.

First episode was probably the weakest one so far though; with the hasty introductions out of the way it gets into the really good jokes and the heartbreaking tale of Anzu the Can Collector.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jin-Roh live action I'm assuming? Neat.

edit - Or maybe something else in the Kerberos Panzer Cop universe? I can't read Korean.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 28, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'll watch Chio-chan's Way to Class and FLCL Alternative for sure.

Probably also checking out Banana Fish, Grand Blue, High Score Girl, and anything else that ends up looking fun.

I can't believe they're actually making Back Street Girls, jesus.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

sirius the jaeger is being directed by masahiro ando. hes actually someone i can talk about, hes great at action - he had a role as 'action director' on the cowboy bebop movie and evangelion, and he directed several episodes and openings for both fullmetal alchemist TV series. he directed the film sword of the stranger, as well, as well as canaan and blast of tempest. he's very well-respected in terms of action. so all things going well, you can expect good action from sirius the jaeger. writing is being handled by keigo koyana, who wrote, uh, regalia the three sacred stars. and a few episodes of blast of tempest!

Oh poo poo, this wasn't on my radar at all but now I'm interested so thanks! Hopefully the writing holds up to the action. Ando also directed Hanasaku Iroha, which I thought was the best visually out of the PA works working people shows. It had a really good sense of character movement and weight and inertia despite not being an action show at all.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

My trusted source for anime news and opinions, Gizmodo Media Group.

This new SAO looks a lot more interesting than the ~3ish episodes I watched of the original before deciding it wasn't my thing. I'm gonna give it a shot when I get some time this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Julias posted:

it's about that time where I ask my fellow goons what they think the title for the next seasonal thread should be.

Summer 2018: Western PC games finally get representation in anime

• Locked thread