Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sequels / Continuing
Boku no Hero Academia
Nobunaga no Shinobi
Darling in the Franxx

Stoked for:
Asagao to Kase-san
Hinamatsuri
Hisone to Maso-tan

Three episode tests:
Caligula
Comic Girls
Golden Kamuy
Layton
Mahou Shoujo Ore
Mahou Shoujo Site
Shiyan Pin Jiating
Uma Musume
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii

Shorts
Akkun to Kanojo
Fumikiri Jikan
Kuroneko Monroe
Uchuu Senkan Tiramisł

Priority to whatever ends up on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

ouch

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Will Gun Gale make sense if I only watched three or four episodes of the original SAO?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Stuff I've watched so far:

Horse Girls: Seems like a pretty standard sports/CGDCT show (with an inexplicable dash of idols), if you ignore the horse premise. Pretty decent so far.
Comic Girls: Generic Kirara 4-koma show. Don't care much for the main character, but the blue-haired chuuni is okay. Will probably keep watching.
Gun Gale: Turns out SAO is much better without the lovely MC and the edgy "you die in the game you die in real life" plot. Looking forward to more.
MHA: It's more MHA. Starting with a summary episode felt strange, it hasn't been that long since season 2 ended. New OP is the worst one so far.
Hinamatsuri: It's great.

Still want to check out Hisone to Maso-tan, Wotaku, and maybe Caligula. I did have Mahou Shoujo Site marked as a "maybe", but after reading the thread, I think I'll pass.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Horse Girls episode 3: Idol outfits are not proper running gear. The story is hitting all the familiar beats so far, and I doubt this show will ever stray far from the obvious formula. I did like tall horse girl's training regimen, and the running (haha) "muri" joke.

Caligula episode 1: Weird, but in a good way, maybe? I'm not completely sure about the art style and the general wordiness, but the first episode did have a couple of really good scenes, and I think they nailed the dreamlike feeling. It just might turn to poo poo once they start revealing more of the plot though, so I'm proceeding with caution. Also, I'm glad that one of the Love Lives managed to get a solo career.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Hargrimm posted:

So... why did they just leave an annotation from the concept art in the finished background for Megalobox?

lol

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Wotakoi was alright. I don't really like the main character's VA, and the two male characters are a bit too similar in both voice and personality. Some decent jokes, while others fell flat due to poor timing. I don't care that much about the otaku angle, but it might turn into a good romcom show.

Hisone to Masotan was great. I love the art-style and the expressions, and both pilots are great fun so far. The first episode did feel a bit rushed, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm mildly surprised at how many people felt like HisoMaso's first ep was rushed. It moved pretty fast, yeah, but I thought it felt very much like a deliberate tonal choice - trying to overwhelm the viewer akin to the way Hisone was overwhelmed by all the madness of the episode, plus it avoided getting bogged down in TOO much exposition around the absurd premise. Didn't feel like they were cramming stuff in just to save time or budget or something like that.

Not, like, a problem or anything. Just caught my eye is all.

I'm not saying it was bad, just that not many series would go from "I am unaware of dragons" to "I refuse to ride this dragon" to "I am now riding the dragon" in the space of less than 25 minutes. A more conventional pacing would have been to end the first episode with the discovery of the dragon, and then spend the second episode on the "Get in the loving dragon Hisone" part, culminating in the first flight. Again, not necessarily bad, it just felt like they wanted to get all the exposition out of the way so that they could get to the fun stuff (dragons, and the riding thereof).

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I made a thread for Hisone to Masotan

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Wotakoi isn't very good.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

It's a small moment but the part in HisoMaso where Hisone uses the yogurt she was given by a strange old woman as an emotional revelation trigger was very good and funny

I hope she's going to learn a new life lesson thanks to a different Yakult product in every episode. If you're going to have product placement, you might as well lean into it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Cake Attack posted:

well I watched two episodes of wotakoi. the manga is pleasant enough as a quick read but it's kinda dull in twenty+ minute episode format. the adaptation isn't really making any of the material pop either.

The third episode is a bit better, but yeah, it's the most forgettable show I'm currently watching, and I'm watching Comic Girls. Might drop it and check out that boxing show you people won't shut up about.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

nice

time for a rewatch

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Space Flower posted:

I wanted to watch an anime where high school manga artists live in a dorm together and get to know each other's genres and the one who does chuuni shounens is voiced by Takahashi Rie (megumin) and that casting decision is very intentional and one of them draws eromanga (big fan) so there's plenty of lewd and lewd jokes and the main char is the Big Mood because she kind of uh, teacher voice, needs improvement and gets rejected by her editor all the time but she's doing her rubesty. that's what Comic Girls is. also the fourth girl has food crumbs on her face a lot

for the record manga time kirara has had irl JK mangaka though of the ones I know their stuff isn't translated and I dunno how old they are now, like if theyve graduated since. must be a trip for them to watch this

did the irl JK mangaka also get to live in a beautiful old house on a spacious plot in one of the most expensive neighborhoods of tokyo

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Summer Season 2018: It's Fuckin' Hot, Again!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Now that the season is winding down, here's some thoughts on the stuff I watched.

Good poo poo
Hinamatsuri: Probably anime of the season. Swings wildly between heartwarming drama and dark comedy, but does so with such confidence that it's hard to hate.
Hisone to Masotan: Runner-up of the season, unless the last three episodes knock it out of the park. Great art, likeable characters, and easily the best ED of the season.
Gun Gale: Pleasant surprise of the season. Low-stakes PUBG SOA is much more enjoyable than high-stakes fantasy SOA. Great characters, really fun action scenes.
Fumikiri Jikan: Only watched three episodes, but those were pretty good. Will probably watch the remaining episode in one sitting once the season's over.

Mediocre poo poo
My Hero Academia: "It's more MHA". The novelty has really worn off at this point, and the Big Plot this season didn't interest me much. Worst OP of the season, too.
Comic Girls: It's impossible to talk about this show with using the word "generic". There's cute girls, they're doing cute things, it's both enjoyable and extremely forgettable.
Uma Musume: A well-made show advertising a dumb mobage advertising a sport that doesn't interest me in the slightest. More entertaining than it should have been.

poo poo
Franxx: The last two episodes ruined the show for me. I'll still finish it, but my expectations for a satisfying ending are really low.
Wotakoi: Lazy animation, bad joke timing, boring characters. Also somehow the best OP of the season.
Caligula: Only show I dropped this season. Mediocre adaptation of what looks like a really lovely game.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

odd future is a great song by the way they time it for the op is... odd...

I don't necessarily agree with the "great song" part, but yeah, the way literally nothing in the visuals syncs up with the audio makes me think it was a last-minute replacement for some other track.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm glad they left out the senpai arc, that was my least favorite part of the manga.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

lmao, horse girls ended in a sixteen-way tie. what a dumb and enjoyable show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Gun Gale definitely stuck the landing. One of my favorites of the season, after Hinamatsuri and HisoMaso.

• Locked thread