Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This upcoming season presents some opportunities to show things that happened off-screen in the manga which would alleviate your complaint, and I really hope they do.

I'm very hyped to see more just in general and this only makes me more excited.

raocow posted:

like mina could punch a dude and then melt his face off, but that's just never going to happen in a shonen series

Wolverine was the most popular character in X-Men TAS and he never once chopped a fool in half. They can make Mina work. Have her fight robots or people with disposable body parts like that one 1-A guy.

This is a pretty dark and violent series though which is a fact I didn't appreciate on my first watch. Watching this after some other shounen is pretty jarring. I completely forgot about Todoroki's poor mom snapping from the abuse and burning Shoto's face with boiling water. (I thought the mark on his face was just part of his design)

I see lots of hate for Endeavor up above but I've been "spoiled" on vague manga details and also it's just kinda obvious that he will be redeemed so I didn't have the same animosity for him this time through the anime. But I tie this to my last point because the tone of a story is such a strange thing. What Endeavor did was horrible but many characters have done far worse and people are ready to forgive them. Nobody would ever suggest Endeavor and Rei get back together even if he does become a better person. But in other "lighter" series it's not at all uncommon for a villain to fall in love with a hero even after they maybe attacked that hero.

I should also mention this and Fairy Tail are the most recent shounen I've seen. Everything being so fast-paced is peculiar. I guess the days of notable fights lasting five episodes is over. And the entire tournament arc was about as long as Yugi and Kaiba's duel or a battle from the Dark Tournament.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

raocow posted:

like mina could punch a dude and then melt his face off, but that's just never going to happen in a shonen series

If she was a villain, then they'd totally have her melting people's faces off, but she's a hero so she can't exactly go around brutally murdering/disfiguring people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well and we always have examples of it being handled worse, like Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Souma, Naruto, etc.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I see lots of hate for Endeavor up above but I've been "spoiled" on vague manga details and also it's just kinda obvious that he will be redeemed so I didn't have the same animosity for him this time through the anime. But I tie this to my last point because the tone of a story is such a strange thing. What Endeavor did was horrible but many characters have done far worse and people are ready to forgive them. Nobody would ever suggest Endeavor and Rei get back together even if he does become a better person. But in other "lighter" series it's not at all uncommon for a villain to fall in love with a hero even after they maybe attacked that hero.

I should also mention this and Fairy Tail are the most recent shounen I've seen. Everything being so fast-paced is peculiar. I guess the days of notable fights lasting five episodes is over. And the entire tournament arc was about as long as Yugi and Kaiba's duel or a battle from the Dark Tournament.

I have to wonder if seeing Fairy Tail might have influenced you not having the same hate for Endeavor as the others, what with Fairy Tail being super big on some of the arc antagonists doing awful poo poo which the others tend to forget about once they get punched into friendship.

Radish posted:

I think the girls have powers that have a lot of combat potential, it just isn't used which is a shame.

Yeah, this is probably one of the weakest parts of MHA for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It would take an awful lot to redeem endeavor for the repeated rape and abuse of his spouse, and also the abuse of his child

I like endeavor and hope he's a character that shows up again, but redemption for him is a little eyebrow raising

I guess it's not worse than actual nazis being punched into friendship or whatever in other anime though

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Without spoiling anything, I will say that his "redemption" in no way excuses what he's done and characters are absolutely not letting him forget how much he hosed up.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fabricated posted:

Well and we always have examples of it being handled worse, like Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Souma, Naruto, etc.

Was assassination classroom bad with girls? I seem to remember the girls being a pretty constant part of the plans to murder the teacher.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spanish Matlock posted:

Was assassination classroom bad with girls? I seem to remember the girls being a pretty constant part of the plans to murder the teacher.

I think that message was a response to abusive parents being redeemed in Shonen Jump manga, not to girl participation.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ninjewtsu posted:

It would take an awful lot to redeem endeavor for the repeated rape and abuse of his spouse, and also the abuse of his child

I like endeavor and hope he's a character that shows up again, but redemption for him is a little eyebrow raising

I guess it's not worse than actual nazis being punched into friendship or whatever in other anime though

Whoa wait a minute, I don't recall rape being a thing in this series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Well, he had children with someone who did not want to have his children.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, he had children with someone who did not want to have his children.

Evidence suggests she was quite happy to have his children.

It's how he brought some of them up that made her unhappy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

chiasaur11 posted:

What? :psyduck:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mraagvpeine posted:

all of todoroki's three, four or five older siblings were born for endevator's quirk eugenics experiment, not out of any love they had for each other. the marriage was forced from the start. todoroki's mother even says that she can barely look her son in the face anymore

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

chiasaur11 posted:

It's how he brought some of them up that made her unhappy.
this is dumb

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 1, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I mean I know that the Endeavor family is definitely a hotbed of child abuse, but I don't know that it was also a hotbed of marital rape. Is that supported in the text somehow or are we just assuming that disfiguring one's own child must be the result of that sort of abuse?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean I know that the Endeavor family is definitely a hotbed of child abuse, but I don't know that it was also a hotbed of marital rape. Is that supported in the text somehow or are we just assuming that disfiguring one's own child must be the result of that sort of abuse?
She does outright state that the marriage wasn't her choice. What you take from that is up to you, whether that be her just 'doing her marital duties' or something even darker and more hosed up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it was some sort of arranged/political marriage (at least according to shoto)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

She does outright state that the marriage wasn't her choice.

Where was that?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NikkolasKing posted:

I said this before in the manga thread but the disconnect is that being a villain that wants to destroy the universe or guild or whatever is easier to forgive because these are easily abstracted away as storytelling devices. Themes like child abuse are much harder for readers to forgive because many members of the audience have been/are currently experiencing child abuse and expecting them to "forgive" wrongness that has literally happened to them is far more difficult.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I have to wonder if seeing Fairy Tail might have influenced you not having the same hate for Endeavor as the others, what with Fairy Tail being super big on some of the arc antagonists doing awful poo poo which the others tend to forget about once they get punched into friendship.

Very possible. In fact, I've been comparing Gajeel and Levy to Endeavor and Rei a lot as part of my musings on differing tone. What Gajeel did to Levy was way worse than what Endeavor did to Rei but Gajeel and Levy are a very popular couple.It's all about how things are presented.

In fact, the total lack of redemption possibilities in this series feels very jarring. The villains aren't without tragic backstories or anything but from what I've seen and heard, I don't think we should expect any of the League to see the light. Twice is such a great comedy act...and then we get his hosed up backstory. Half the League seems so plainly demented I wondered how they can even function in society. But I guess, judging from Twice in the last ep and Toga's covert mission, maybe they just lost all control during their attack on the training camp. In any event t he narrative does a great job fleshing out the villain without making it seem like there's much hope for them.

Another comparison I have between FT and MHA is their female characters. Fairy Tail is surprisingly great with women. It might have excessive fanservice but its huge cast of women who can all kick rear end is appreciated. Lucy is also every bit the lead that Natsu is. Kinda reminds me of Inuyasha where Kagome was co-lead and half the cast were women.

Eej posted:

I said this before in the manga thread but the disconnect is that being a villain that wants to destroy the universe or guild or whatever is easier to forgive because these are easily abstracted away as storytelling devices. Themes like child abuse are much harder for readers to forgive because many members of the audience have been/are currently experiencing child abuse and expecting them to "forgive" wrongness that has literally happened to them is far more difficult.

Yep. I agree completely.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 2, 2019

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

She does outright state that the marriage wasn't her choice. What you take from that is up to you, whether that be her just 'doing her marital duties' or something even darker and more hosed up.

I don't think Torodoki's mother ever said this? Actually, I don't think Torodoki's mother ever directly discusses the details of her relationship with Endeavor-- aside from implying that that it used to be better with the whole hospital flower's thing. Shoto is the only one who's ever really gone into depth about it and even from his (understandably) uncharitable take, it sounded less like she was bought into marital slavery then like he tricked her and her parents with the whole preeminent hero thing.

Going by what I'm remembering here, I think the implication was that the ENDEVOUR EUGENICS PROJECT didn't go hardcore until like child 3 & 4.

En Family Mook fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 2, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do they all have different mothers or was he just trying over and over again with Rei to get a child with both fire and ice?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's just her.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Ochako is the best character in this show by a mile and it's a shame that she's not treated as seriously as Deku/Todoroki/Bakugo

tbh Ochako/Momo/Mina/Jiro/Hagakure could carry a series on their own. they'd be an excellent action squad

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cephas posted:

Ochako is the best character in this show by a mile and it's a shame that she's not treated as seriously as Deku/Todoroki/Bakugo

tbh Ochako/Momo/Mina/Jiro/Hagakure could carry a series on their own. they'd be an excellent action squad

No love for Froppy?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
!!!!!!

I knew I was forgetting someone. It's been a while since this show has aired. Froppy is obviously an incredible being.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Froppy exists to be the fun police and her hero ethos is strictly at odds with Deku's and thereby the premise of the show (that being a hero is about doing the right thing and saving the day regardless of the odds and rules laid out against you)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was literally one scene and she apologized for it and realized the error of her ways.

People need to get the gently caress over it already.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I didn't see anybody post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWc_W2x4WQ

It really is amazing to see how far Funimation has come. I'm gonna be 31 this year and I grew up with them, watched them grow from producing the trainwreck that was their early DBZ dub where half the cast was Chris Sabat badly imitating accents and the Ocean voice-actors to...well, the trailer I just posted. Again also been watching FT and I can't imagine a more perfect dub than that. The people behind it not only were good at their work but deeply cared about it as well. And MHA is just as special.

Apparently a lot of the new blood got their start in online media like TeamFourStar or Rooster Teeth(who I admittedly have never watched but I know they're pretty big in nerd circles). I knew immediately Ichiya from FT was Cooler from DBZA. Also I was informed Izuku's dub VA was Gohan in DBZA's Trunks special but they didn't have him come back because they feared it would damage his prospects with Funimation as Toei are dickheads. Better not to gently caress over his career by being associated with them.

I love everything about Izuku Midoriya which is rare for a shounen main characters. I usually like every other character more than them but Izuku is great and his English VA is a big part of that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 3, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It was literally one scene and she apologized for it and realized the error of her ways.

People need to get the gently caress over it already.

I mean it’s cool you’re allowed to like a party pooper dude

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

NikkolasKing posted:

I love everything about Izuku Midoriya which is rare for a shounen main characters. I usually like every other character more than them but Izuku is great and his English VA is a big part of that.

I met Justin Briner (Deku) at GalaxyCon last weekend and he's also just a really cool dude. Chris Sabat, too, but that goes without saying honestly.

I agree with your general sentiment about their work. I've been a big fan of their recent dubs, starting with Steins;Gate a few years back. That was the first one that I saw where I could really tell someone really put a lot of heart into the localized script writing. That attitude has largely carried forward.

They have a keen awareness of the "same actors in every show" problem and seem to have really gone out of their way to grab fresh talent. Their dub for Hyouka stars literally no one I've heard of and aside from Chitanda (who is still fine) everyone kills it. For Overlord they got Christopher Guerrero from T4S and he is a perfect Ains.

Compare to, say, Sentai Filmworks who just kind of keep putting the same 10~ people in every single dub and it's night and day.

Funimation gets some well-deserved poo poo for some of their dubious localization choices, but I also think they deserve a ton of praise for making dubs that are worth watching.

And you know what, I'll say it: I prefer Chris Sabat's delivery of United States of Smash.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shere posted:

I met Justin Briner (Deku) at GalaxyCon last weekend and he's also just a really cool dude. Chris Sabat, too, but that goes without saying honestly.

I agree with your general sentiment about their work. I've been a big fan of their recent dubs, starting with Steins;Gate a few years back. That was the first one that I saw where I could really tell someone really put a lot of heart into the localized script writing. That attitude has largely carried forward.

They have a keen awareness of the "same actors in every show" problem and seem to have really gone out of their way to grab fresh talent. Their dub for Hyouka stars literally no one I've heard of and aside from Chitanda (who is still fine) everyone kills it. For Overlord they got Christopher Guerrero from T4S and he is a perfect Ains.

Compare to, say, Sentai Filmworks who just kind of keep putting the same 10~ people in every single dub and it's night and day.

Funimation gets some well-deserved poo poo for some of their dubious localization choices, but I also think they deserve a ton of praise for making dubs that are worth watching.

And you know what, I'll say it: I prefer Chris Sabat's delivery of United States of Smash.

They still made some fine dubs back when. Yu Yu Hakusho was my favorite shounen ever for a long time and the English dub is a big part of that. Justin Cook as Yusuke was loving perfect, another shounen MC who was the best characte in his series. Justins's Hardening Quirk 1-A guy in this . Sabat was Kuwabara, Robert McCollum was Sensui and he's Stain in this. He has one of the best villain voices of all time. Although Eric Vale was Sakyo and is Shigaraki here and he's good too.
They've always had a lot of talent, they just needed better writers and directors.

As for their plethora of actors, while that is appreciated, I was recently commenting on how peculiar it is that Fairy Tail and MHA are pretty much caught up with the Japanese version. A dub being caught up was unheard of in all my years as an anime fan. I'm told it's because of streaming an d simulcasts. But at the same time, this is because Funimation has the money to do that. Most dubbing studios cannot duplicate this schedule and certainly can't afford as many actors and actresses. I can't even remember the last time I heard an Ocean Group dub of an anime but you always heard the same voices because they just don't get the work that Funi does. And Funi took Gundam away from them I think. (Ocean did some great early 2000s work like Inuyasha and X-Men Evolution)

Glad to hear you met so many cool people, though. I'd really like to meet some of them someday which shouldn't be hard since I live in Fort Worth, Texas now. I've always wanted to ask a female VA if fanservice makes them uncomfortable. I don't think I'd ever actually do it but it always goes through my mind. Not so much in this show but in Fairy Tail or other anime the fanservice can get pretty intense. They are grown women and they know what they're getting into but I still worried that the shows I liked they hated. But after very recently finding this video as well as reading about how much Cherami Leigh (Lucy) loved the show, I feel like I was probably overthinking things. Which is good, obviously. I want the people who play the characters I love to enjoy themselves, too.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 3, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yu Yu Hakusho is way better dubbed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is helping MHA keep up with the subs is that it has seasons instead of new stuff constantly coming out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
justin cook is criminally under-represented, the guy should have been one of the shounen OG's but he kind of dropped out of sight after YYH

before kirishima, what other prominent roles did he have? i just remember him voicing some schmuck in that terrible catholic vampire show on toonami. no, not that one, the other one. no, not that one either

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is way better dubbed.
That's a high bar considering that overall I'd say that YuYu has the best dub and dub script ever done.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

justin cook is criminally under-represented, the guy should have been one of the shounen OG's but he kind of dropped out of sight after YYH

before kirishima, what other prominent roles did he have? i just remember him voicing some schmuck in that terrible catholic vampire show on toonami. no, not that one, the other one. no, not that one either

He was Raditz in Funi's later dub of Saiyan Saga (and maybe Kai, too?) and Super Buu in their regular dub of DBZ. Oh yeah and he was the older Dende, too.

Without Wikipedia that's all I got off-hand. I'm sure there are others I've heard him in but I can't think of them.

EDIT:
He's Kid in One Piece. That's not too bad. Extremely minor villain in Fairy Tail. And the rest I am mostly clueless about.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 3, 2019

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I just got finished MHA dubbed on Hulu to get my fix again while waiting for season 4, and I gotta say I like the dubs better. Deku's actor is fantastic and really sells the character, and I enjoyed the other characters more when I could comprehend their accents and other small vocal things. I'm a big Vegeta fan and Sabat's All Might is way better than the japanese one imo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
literally the only thing that keeps me watching MHA's sub over its dub is that Froppy's Japanese VA is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm reading some of the early pages of this thread and somebody said Harry Potter is very Anime. That reminded me of something.

Izuku, Iida and Uraraka really give me a Harry, Ron and Hermione vibe and I mean that as a compliment. I love their dynamic. But I was warned by manga readers that both of them drop out of focus and don't do much. It makes me sad.

Todoroki (yay) and Bakugo (meh) are the most popular characters so they get all the focus.