Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dracula Factory posted:

I just got finished MHA dubbed on Hulu to get my fix again while waiting for season 4, and I gotta say I like the dubs better. Deku's actor is fantastic and really sells the character, and I enjoyed the other characters more when I could comprehend their accents and other small vocal things. I'm a big Vegeta fan and Sabat's All Might is way better than the japanese one imo.
The United States of Smash is really cool subbed, but it is incredible dubbed. Also, the dub makes Deku a bit more active and assertive about his own life, which is a good change I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fight with the Noumu in season 1 is fantastic dubbed as well. Sabat basically was the perfect pick for All Might.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In fairness Bakugo has been the second- or third-most important character since the beginning, so it's not exactly a huge surprise that he stays in the limelight.

Ochako is fine she just needs to kick somebody's rear end. Like the whole point of a "wow they're so far beyond me" fight like her match against Bakugo is to provide motivation and a good base for future development.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

nrook posted:

In fairness Bakugo has been the second- or third-most important character since the beginning, so it's not exactly a huge surprise that he stays in the limelight.

Ochako is fine she just needs to kick somebody's rear end. Like the whole point of a "wow they're so far beyond me" fight like her match against Bakugo is to provide motivation and a good base for future development.

I will not rest until Ochako hits someone with a gravity assisted pile-driver.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will not rest until Ochako hits someone with a gravity assisted pile-driver.
It's going to be Toga.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

In retrospect its a shame that the fighting style Ochako learned was grappling and not air juggles and floor bouncing.

If she never shoryuken's someone into the atmosphere its a missed opportunity.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
still waitin for that day when ochako zero gravity tags an enemy, deku detroit smash uppercuts them into the stratosphere, ochako zero gravity tags bakugo, and he shoots himself up into the stratosphere and does a rocket-propelled kick on the bad guy all the way down to earth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've always been of the opinion that uraraka would be a really bad matchup for bakugo even outside of a tournament context if she could get in close, because his agility revolves around very precise control of his momentum via his explosions and he can't do that if his personal gravity is snapping on and off every ten seconds

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

JT Jag posted:

literally the only thing that keeps me watching MHA's sub over its dub is that Froppy's Japanese VA is incredible

Aoi Yuuki, right? She’s great. Fun in pretty much every role, but you can tell she enjoys it in stuff like Nichibros.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i've always been of the opinion that uraraka would be a really bad matchup for bakugo even outside of a tournament context if she could get in close, because his agility revolves around very precise control of his momentum via his explosions and he can't do that if his personal gravity is snapping on and off every ten seconds

The trick, of course, is getting in close to begin with. Would be easier outside of a tournament ring, of course, easier to launch an ambush and try and get that first hit on, but still not easy. Bakugo isn't a genius but he's not a dumbass either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The trick, of course, is getting in close to begin with. Would be easier outside of a tournament ring, of course, easier to launch an ambush and try and get that first hit on, but still not easy. Bakugo isn't a genius but he's not a dumbass either.

His grades say otherwise.

Third in the class, ahead of Deku, and it's implied he did it easily, unlike Deku and Iida's maniac study sessions.

Considering U.A. is one of the top academic schools in the country, that's pretty good.

It's worse in combat, where he's at his best. If you look beneath the layer of mad dog, Bakugo's constantly planning and adapting. It's just that his thought process needs to be translated from Bakugo to Japanese to read as anything but "I'LL loving MURDER ALL OF YOU!", and even Deku's only somewhat fluent.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah, it's said a number of times (including by All Might) that Bakugo actually is some kind of genius, at least when it comes to fight good

he just didn't have any points left over to put in his social skills

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's a genius when it comes to think good too.

That's kinda his deal compared to Deku. Bakugo's the natural genius, he was born with one of the best quirks in the series and has great grades while not trying at all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

And part of his growth starting from Season 1 was realising he needed to try and stay on top now instead of just being naturally the best like he believed in middle school.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have read through this entire thread almost but I have seen a distinct lack of love for Monoma. After I finished the anime the first time a year ago he was the character I ended up loving the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XhEGj78Vxo

I like to compare him to a Hufflepuff just showing up all the time to poo poo on the Gryffindors. "Just because the Main Plot follows you around doesn't mean you're better than us!"

Also that laugh is so, so good. I hope I see lots of him and Kendo and her karate chop in Season 4.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He's the guy that copies powers right? I want to see him in more combat situations

I want to see most characters in more combat situations

Mha has good fights

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The manga thread has a lot of love for Monoma when he shows up, because the slower paced nature of the manga means there's less stuff to go on every week and his gags have more of a presence that way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Monoma has one joke

It's a good joke but I'm sick of it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

The manga thread has a lot of love for Monoma when he shows up, because the slower paced nature of the manga means there's less stuff to go on every week and his gags have more of a presence that way.

That makes sense. I wouldn't mind some real fights with him or even a serious character arc.

MHA is undoubtedly a much better shounen than many but years of watching shounen with huge casts just kinda sets you up for disappointment. Not everybody can get the attention you feel they deserve.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I recently started reading the manga, and only just finished the next arc past what the anime covered, and without spoilers goddamn I gotta say I'm really excited for S4, now. I was a little unsure how well the story would hold up now that major status quo pillars like All Might's reassuring presence and the focus on in-school antics as opposed to in-the-field heroism were starting to diminish, but that first arc we'll be hitting might be my favorite so far.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Until this rewatch, I didn't think any of the villains stood out in Season 3 apart from Muscular, Twice and All For One. Like some people were raving about Moonfish. I couldn't even remember who that was until they mentioned teeth. Oh, the teeth guy who loving got owned.

And I'm re-watching Episode 48 and 49 because they're perfect but Jesus do these villains look worthless as all hell. They can't restrain Bakugo with 6-on-1? Crashing into Mt. Lady knocks one out? Then Gran Torino oneshots the rest of them?

No wonder I didn't remember any of them. Muscular has a good fight, Twice is hilarious and has a surprisingly dark past and AFO is obviously amazing. I've come around to liking Shigaraki and Toga more upon the rewatch and Mr. Compress at least looks pretty cool. But most of the baddies here don't leave a particularly strong first impression.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The lack of strong first-impressions is somewhat intentional. Much like the protagonists, the antagonists are meant to grow, too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Patchwork blue fire guy I find mildly intriguing because he seems to be presented as one of the most powerful of the villain group and he hasn't really gotten much of a fight in yet, so I'm waiting to see how his power measures up to shoto/endeavour's and if there's any appreciable difference between them

But mostly I just remember him because he has a pretty distinctive design

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The lack of strong first-impressions is somewhat intentional. Much like the protagonists, the antagonists are meant to grow, too.

in particular, muscular and moonfish were veteran villains who could have done a lot more damage, but they were unfortunately under the leadership of tomura shigaraki, who's still kind of a putz

he tried to enact a proper Dastardly Scheme at the summer camp by publicly turning U.A.'s rising stars against them (which probably would have dealt a mortal blow to the school's image and a severe one to the hero society in general), but he misused his resources and horribly miscalculated his target's personality. he probably could have just lobotomized bakugo and made him into another nomu, but he also failed to watch his own back while he was planning his defense, leading to all might's pizza delivery

he made it out, but at the cost of his mentor and most of his organization's resources. a lesson was learned but the damage is irreversible

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Patchwork blue fire guy I find mildly intriguing because he seems to be presented as one of the most powerful of the villain group and he hasn't really gotten much of a fight in yet, so I'm waiting to see how his power measures up to shoto/endeavour's and if there's any appreciable difference between them

But mostly I just remember him because he has a pretty distinctive design

That's Dabi and I'm not sure what to say on him because it's kinda spoilers but not really? I was told it's just a popular theory back in November of last year.

Everyone told me when I first watched the anime "that's totally Endeavor's son. " He specifically mocks Shoto by name at the camp and Endeavor is (plot) conveniently stationed outside the bar so the two never see or interact with each other. He's also a disciple of Stain who utterly detests the type of Hero that Endeavor is.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 4, 2019

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

NikkolasKing posted:

That's Dabi and I'm not sure what to say on him because it's kinda spoilers but not really? I was told it's just a popular theory back in November of last year.

Everyone told me when I first watched the anime "that's totally Endeavor's son. " He specifically mocks Shoto by name at the camp and Endeavor is (plot) conveniently stationed outside the bar so the two never see or interact with each other. He's also a disciple of Stain who utterly detests the type of Hero that Endeavor is.

also just theorizing:

Dabi's scarred tissue / burns are also around where endeavor's passive flames are--around the eyes, chin/throat/beard area, and down the arms but not the hands. I haven't read the manga, it's just stuck out to me--like he could have botched trying to wear Endeavor's "costume" at some point

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Toga owns because she beats people up with the power of her fists

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Toga owns because she beats people up with the power of her fists

Toga is knife lady not fist lady.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kendo is fists lady.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember when I first watched the anime I thought "sure is lucky All Might beat Al For One before he could tell anybody Izuku had One For All now." I thought of it like a villain being stopped before he could reveal Bruce Wayne is Batman.

But, after seeing it all again, I realized that All For One seemingly never told anybody about One For All to begin with, let alone who did or did not have it. That seems like a very helpful and vital piece of information to withhold from his apprentice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hunt11 posted:

Toga is knife lady not fist lady.

Can't hold a knife without a fist

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Can't hold a knife without a fist

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just started this series (now at the start of S2) and I Deku's finally growing on me now that he has a bit of a spine. I just feel like he should've spent more time with Support (which I guess will happen) or aiming for it to show off more of his analytical abilities and give him more tools other than scrambling around desperately half the time.

Edit: Bakugo's gotten slightly better, but he's still an rear end in a top hat and I dislike him. If he was an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold type character like Yusuke Urameshi, I might feel better about him. All Might turning from beacon of justice to large dork is good.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 5, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xelkelvos posted:

All Might turning from beacon of justice to large dork is good.

I think you're missing the fact that All Might was always a large dork. :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
All Might in part chose Deku as his successor because they're both kinda-shy dorks. His whole loud hero persona is just because he thinks it puts people at ease, but in fact he's a pretty bad leader and teacher.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

All Might in part chose Deku as his successor because they're both kinda-shy dorks. His whole loud hero persona is just because he thinks it puts people at ease, but in fact he's a pretty bad leader and teacher.

Tactics wise All Might may suck at being a leader but his charisma and ability to inspire others is second to none.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Tactics wise All Might may suck at being a leader but his charisma and ability to inspire others is second to none.

He's basically Superman if Superman never picked up anything from his craftier allies and didn't have to deal with a villain who was 90% a threat because of his ability to out think everyone instead of 30% out thinking 70% overwhelming power.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So is Crunchyroll going to stream the next season or is this whole Funi deal screwing it over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MHA is one of the things they got joint custody of.