  • Post
Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Hello and welcome to a Let's Play of Stellaris 2.0!

What's this now?
Stellaris is a space-based 4X/grand strategy mashup brought to you by Paradox Interactive (the developers of Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria and Hearts of Iron franchises). You create a spacefaring species, set up its government, and spread across the galaxy. Along the way, you run into other species, some much older than you, some much younger, and wage war (or diplomacy) on them. Oh, and you can build Death Stars now.

The best part about Stellaris is that you can re-create a ton of sci-fi staple species and governments, or just build your own. You want Zerg from Starcraft? Enjoy you genetically-engineered hivemind that consumes other species for biomass. You want the Borg from Star Trek? Join your driven assimilators, and turn conquered aliens into cyborgs. Mix and match whatever you want. Cutthroat megacorp? Done! Isolationist hobbits, but, like, in space? Done! Friendly federation-building lizards? Say no more!

Ok, yeah, but this Let's Play?
Right, yeah. So, this time we'll be playing humans as a precursor race. The galaxy has no other sentient races, at least, not anymore. Our humans are a feudal empire, which means that we can create vassals that can colonize space themselves. We will be keeping ourselves weak, so that our vassals will be able to declare their independence if they work together. Ideally, in two centuries or so, this will lead to a galaxy filled with disparate human realms run by different types of government that all hate each other.

Once we hit the year 2350 (150 years into the game), we will switch to a different human empire. The thread will vote on which one specifically, but Earth will be out of our reach.

This sounds familiar. Aren't you that rear end in a top hat that...
Yep! I made a Crusader Kings 2 LP (needs archives) where we switch countries every 100 years. It sort of stalled on the last update before the end of CK2, and one day I will come back to it.

In the meantime, you can consider this LP a spin-off, since we'll be playing Zunbils in space. This LP diverges from that LP around the time the Aztec invade Francia.

What the hell is a Zunbil?
Long story short, Zunbils were a dynasty that held southern Afghanistan around 6th century AD. They worshiped the sun as a god named Zun, the Giver of Justice, who may or may not be a variant of Surya, a Hindu sun god. They held onto their lands until around the Ummayads conquered them in the 8th century. The Zunist religion stuck around for another few centuries before being supplanted by Islam.

How often will you be updating?
I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.

Right, let's get this show on the road!

Narrative Updates
The Solar Empire
-The Tablet
---Update 1.1.1 - Boot Up
---Update 1.1.2 - Stranded
---Update 1.1.3 - Shutdown
-The Fourth Servile War
---Update 1.2.1 - Spartacus
---Update 1.2.2 - Crassus
-At the Movies
---Update 1.3.1 - What Was, Will Be
---Update 1.3.2 - What Will Be, Was
---Update 1.3.3 - The End is the Beginning is the End

United Empathetic Networks
-Behind the Scenes
----Update 2.1.1 - Networking
----Update 2.1.2 - Upgrade
----Update 2.1.3 - Emergence

Omni Extirpators
-Boundary Condition
----Update 3.1.1 - Hello_World.exe
----Update 3.1.2 - Plugin_Update.exe
----Update 3.1.3 - Run_Tracer.exe
----Update 3.1.4 - Update.exe
----Update 3.1.5 - Opponent_scan.exe

Stellaris 101
---Stellaris 101 - Pops, Ethics, Governments and Vassals
---Stellaris 101 - Ships, Fleets and Space Combat
---Stellaris 101 - Influence, Edicts and Factions

Screenplays 101
----Screenplays 101 - Reading Screenplays

Kayten fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 11, 2019

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
reserved

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Update 1.1.1 - Boot Up

BIOS loaded
Mar 20, 2201 1:22:41 AM editor.Main main
INFO: SUNOS version: 5.1.4
Exception in thread "main" sun.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sunx/sml/bind/SXBException
at editor.Main.main(Main.sun:66)
SunOS installation is corrupted and cannot start. SunOS will now try to recover to the last available version.
SunOS recovery attempt...
SunOS installation is corrupted and cannot be recovered. Would you like to install a clean version of SunOS 5.1.4 from attached device?

Installing a clean version of SunOS 5.1.4s. This may take a while...
Praise the Sun. SunOS kernel v.5.1.4s.6.3.2.1 installed. Installing additional modules. Would you like to listen to introductory modules while the installation completes?

Command not recognized. Would you like to listen to introductory modules while the installation completes?
>No

Command not recognized. Would you like to listen to introductory modules while the installation completes?
>gently caress off

Command not recognized. Would you like to listen to introductory modules while the installation completes?
>Fine

Command not recognized. Would you like to listen to introductory modules while the installation completes?

Praise the Sun. SunCorp appreciates your enthusiasm about the history of the Empire. Loading history module...
/modules/intro/history.mod is partially corrupted. Jumping to the nearest uncorrupted point...

The Aztec invasion of 1192 connected the Eastern and Western Hemispheres like never before, ensuring a regular flow of people and livestock across the Atlantic. As smallpox ravaged the west, setting the Aztec and Inca empires ablaze, so too did greatpox grind eastern empires into dust. The Byzantines, the Francians, the Tsargrad Horde, the Song, all collapsed as half the population across Eurasia and Africa died of the Aztec plague.

Yet the Zunbils remained. Zun, the Sun God, has protected his people. His voice on earth, the Sun Emperor Pujman III, kept his subjects safe and healthy in return for complete obedience. As the world around them collapsed, the Solar Empire maintained order...

/modules/intro/history.mod is partially corrupted. Jumping to the nearest uncorrupted point...

The Last War (1952-1997) saw the Empire bring its last rival, the Great Haudenosaunee Confederacy, to its knees by mass use of nuclear weapons across North Ixachitlan. By 2056, North and South Ixachitlan were granted statehood status within the Empire. A wave of peace descended on the planet, the new Pax Solana bringing untold prosperity to the Sun Emperor's subjects. And yet, not everyone was grateful for the Emperor's peace. Independence movements rose up and were quashed down every few years. The Zunbil dynasty tore itself apart every time a Sun Emperor died, with every new ruler leaving behind dozens of dead cousins.

/modules/intro/history.mod is partially corrupted. Jumping to the nearest uncorrupted point...

The harsh caste system introduced in 2137 drew criticism at the time, but is seen as necessary in the long run. The Zunbil dynasty itself was placed above all others, divine and pure, untouchable by the lower castes. The Solar Priests stood below them, directing the Empire's soul and scientific progress. Below still, the Mohafez, both warriors and bureaucrats, held up the state. The Kargar, craftsmen and workers, the beating heart of the Empire, were next. The Bazargan, merchants and swindlers, further below. And at the very bottom, the Barde, slaves and traitors, doomed to grow the Empire's food and die in its mines.

And yet, the year is 2201, and the Solar Empire still stands, surviving every blow from within. For the first time in human history, human spaceships can enter the hyperlanes connecting stars, going further than any have gone before. Under the Sun Empress Boran II, humanity stands ready to spread among the stars!

Thank you for listening to the introduction module. Praise the Sun. Your installation is now complete.
Would you like to create a new profile on this device?

Please enter your name.
>gently caress SunCorp

Please enter your caste.
>Barde

Bardes cannot read or write. It is therefore highly unlikely that you are a Barde.
In the eventuality that you are indeed a Barde, please submit this device to your overseer to receive your standard punishment of twenty lashes.
You have designated yourself as Barde. Is this correct?

Please enter your caste.
>Kargar

Since this device is designated virtual Solar Priest, you are considered below it. This device will refer to you as
gently caress.

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. This device is now ready for use. Loading basic modules...

SunCorp news module loaded. Top news story: Earth-wide research network launch successful. Would you like to know more?

Map module loaded. You are located in Geosynchronous Orbit around Earth, on HSS Enigma. HSS Enigma is the first human vessel capable of interstellar travel. Would you like to know more?

SunMail module loaded. You have zero new messages. Would you like to compose a new message?

Remember, all SunMail messages are monitored by SunCorp for security purposes.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: MB, SOD
Subject: Got this piece of poo poo working

Listen up, assholes. I finally got the new firmware loaded on this garbage tablet. loving hell, S, how did you not turn off the history lesson? Who taught you to code?

To business. According to S, this message and all of your replies to it should bypass the security check at repeater beacons, so don't worry about them listening in.

I passed the final security check, and am already on board the Enigma. I will update you on Deveraux's movements, and let you fuckers know if we find anything interesting on this field trip.

So, status report?

-XT

Message sent.

You have
one new message. Display?
>display -nxgd

Option not found. Enter 'display -h' for help.
>display -xnsd

Displaying new messages, like, all the time, like, no confirmation, like, secret, like, deleting after.

From: SOD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

Go away, Xar, I had to finish the build in a literal crate. With airholes. You're lucky it works at all.

The Luchtaine is fine, humming along. We're going to Ganymede, there's enough titanium on it to warrant a permanent mining station. I'll drop a friendly backdoor into it once it's up.

-S

P.S. I did ask you not to swear. Please?

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Re:Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

No names, S. I'm not loving joking. No childhood nicknames, no professional pseudonyms, no loving identifiers! I'm not going to be sent to the loving mines if they patch their firewall. Never again.

Enigma made it to Alpha Centauri. It looks like our loving sun, down to spectrometer readings.

Not only does it look like our sun, its third planet looks like Earth. Deveraux's bombarding it with probes, we should have data in a few days. Stay online.

-XT

P.S. I will stop swearing when I push the Empress out the loving airlock, and not one second before.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Re:Re:Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

Holy poo poo, boys and girls, we hit the jackpot! There's life all over this bitch! Plants, insects, some ten-story elephant-looking motherfuckers, you name it!

Deveraux's losing his mind, though. He's double-checking all incoming and outgoing communications. Mutters to himself, dropped regular meetings with his scientists.

I'm gonna lay low for a while. Will message once the heat dies down.

-XT

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, SOD
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

Empress called meeting of Sun Priest Council. Priests going crazy, split on xeno fauna souls.

Council recommends further study of Earth-likes.

Empress approved motion. Look forward to new orders.

Empress made public speech. Hinted at future colonization program.

-Z

P.S. S, please fix subject. Wastes time.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

Yeah, Deveraux's got the new orders. We brought some of the Alpha Centauri III flora on board to test for survival in space. One of the Priests made some bread out of something local. I didn't eat it, but a bunch of our engineers did. No one died yet.

We swung back around to hit Barnard's Star. Came close enough to Earth to communicate in loving semaphore. I beamed research data over to you, Z. Send it to someone who can tell if it's useful.

Barnard's star is a red dwarf, so it barely even has a habitable zone.

But get this. Barnard's Star II is wedged right the gently caress in there. Mostly covered in water, but it's got some solid plant life going under there.

It's also loving massive! Evaporate some of that water, build some platforms over the rest, and you're looking at something that can sustain 12-15 billion people, easy.

The galaxy is kind to us, boys and girls.

-XT

P.S. Seconding the subject fix, S.

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, SOD
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

Empress diverting more resources to the Enigma. Expect staff, cargo. New scanner inbound. No details here.

P.S. S, please.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: Got this piece of poo poo working

Yeah, we picked up a few more priests and some crates. Had to build it ourselves, these assholes would never lift anything heavier than a tablet.

We scanned Procyon. No habitable planets, but drat, this asteroid belt is swimming in metals. Moving on.

-XT

P.S. S, come on.

From: SOD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Magic!

I think we did everything we could around the Sun, so we're puttering over to Procyon. Shouldn't take too long. Maybe I'll even see you out the window, X!

Orders are to build mining platforms on anything larger than a hundred kilometers wide. We heard some of the planets around Procyon are still really hot, so we might build some turbines on them too.

-S

P.S. Any of you could have changed the subject. Did you think my security bypass relied on the header? Come on, guys, give me some energy credit here. Eh? Eh?

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, SOD
Subject: q

New source of titanium helpful. Fabricators now reliably work at nanoscale.

Sun Priest Council pushing for upgrades to Earth factories.

-ZL

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: MB, SOD

Scanning the Sirius system. We came across some weird poo poo on a gas giant, so we hit the atmosphere to take closer readings.

Turns out it's pretty freaky. It's definitely organic, but I don't think it's sentient. A very geometric atmospheric fungus, maybe? hosed if I know, I'm not a scientist.

Gonna make a quick stop to scan the last few moons in this system, and then we're out.

-XT

P.S. Thanks, S.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Cc: MB, ZL

Holy poo poo, boys and girls. We found loving xenos!

I mean, yes, they're dead, and have been for anywhere between 1.2 and 2.5 million years, but still! An intelligent xeno species!

Based on the records we found on Sirius Va, they look like some sort of hosed up platypus (platypi? platypuses?) with an extra pair of arms and the immune system of a dying baby. Got themselves plagued to death. We'll be on the look out for more.

-XT

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, SOD

Priests see no value in keeping dead xenos secret. Information quarantine lifted. Earth-wide discussion.

-ZL

P.S. Are we really alone, X?

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: MB, SOD

I don't know, Z. As far as I know, we might be.

On the bright side, we found another Earth-like. So even if we are alone, there are going to be enough humans in this galaxy that it doesn't matter.

-XT

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, SOD

News released. Mohafez Diet called. "Society for Advancing Colonization" created.

Idiots.

-ZL

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: MB, SOD

We found a really old hollow asteroid.

Deveraux thinks it might be Irassian, but we don't have the expertise to deal with it yet.

-XT

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, SOD

SAC gathering steam. Serious research into practicalities of colonization pushed through.

-ZL

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: MB, SOD

We came across a planet with some hosed up tectonic poo poo going on. Deveraux wants to nuke it. For science.

-XT

From: SOD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: You know you can put anything here, right?

So Earth-based labs made some cool toys for us construction folk. My spacesuit can now punch through solid iron. Take that, iron.

-S

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Cc: MB, ZL
Subject: Yes, I loving know

Did you know that Deveraux is a paranoid gently caress-up? He threw a nuke at some crack in the tectonic plates, detonated it too early, and broke half the drat planet.

Look at his stupid faaace

-XT

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: MB, SOD, CD

Deveraux's failure not reported. SAC pushed for ship funding. Adding agent CD to network. Placing on colony ship.

Vetted CD personally.

-ZL

P.S. lol@img

From: CD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: ZL, SOD, MB
Subject: Colony Ship infiltration

I have been placed on the HSS Progeny. Estimated time to Alpha Centauri III (codename Faunus) is two months.

I swear on my bloodline to serve the cause in every way I can.

Long live the resistance!

-CD

From: CD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: ZL, SOD, MB
Subject: Colony Ship landed

Ship made planetfall on Faunus. The colonists are building New Kabul day and night. I see enemies in every face. Trusting no one.

Long live the resistance!

-CD

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: SOD, MB, CD

Colony success bolstered SAC. Over a third of Diet joined.

Bazargan making moves. Pleaded case to Empress.

Empress allows expansion of trade in orbit.

-ZL

P.S. X, should I be worried about the merchants?

From: SOD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: ZL, MB, CD
Subject: New work orders are fun!

We've been redirected to Alpha Centauri. Going to build a few upgrades into the station in near-star orbit.

-SOD

P.S. Hi, CD! Welcome to the team!

From: CD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: ZL, SOD, MB
Subject: Expansion on Faunus

The colonist population on Faunus has stabilized, and is now self-sustaining. I have been assigned a wife. Can't trust her.

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I ran some calculations on Faunus stats, and we are running out of food. Supplies projected to last only forty years.

Long live the resistance!

-CD

P.S. Thank you for the warm welcome, comrade SOD! We are struggling together!

From: ZL
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: SOD, MB, CD

Mining breakthrough on Earth. Empress demands immediate upgrades to all existing mines. Opportunity to throw her down a mineshaft on tour?

-ZL

P.S. X? Everything alright?

From: SOD
To: gently caress SunCorp
Cc: ZL, MB, CD
Subject: I've been working on a station, all the live-long day!

Alpha Centauri station looking good! I think it's as big as Sol Station now. We're receiving new groups of Bazargan every day.

-SOD

P.S. Aw, thanks, CD. You can just call me S, everyone else does!

P.P.S. Xar?

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
Cc: SOD, CD, MB
Subject: gently caress

We ran into ships. Human loving ships! With loving guns on them!

Tell me these are ours! They're within range for missil-

Messaging service connection interrupted. Attempting to reconnect now...
Attempting to reconnect now...
Attempting to reconnect now...
Praise the Sun.

Kayten fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 10, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is a cool concept. I've thought about starting with no AI empires and just uplifting and enlightening all the different species you come across, but this is a nice spin. Looking forward to how this LP will develop.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

:sun:

Bookmarked, this is gonna be an interesting ride.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
The spice sun must flow.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Hmm, this is could develop into something very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't know poo poo about Stellaris, but your CK2 LP was awesome so I'll be following this.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey sweet, for once I discover a cool new LP when it's just started.

Stellaris is extremely my poo poo and you seem to have a really cool narrative going on, so I'm absolutely following this.

Be safe Xar :ohdear:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Will you be covering any mechanics?

I must say, the premise of this LP is very intriguing. Is that something you can do in the actual game, y'know, letting your empire fracture, or do you need to mod it in?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

painedforever posted:

Will you be covering any mechanics?

I must say, the premise of this LP is very intriguing. Is that something you can do in the actual game, y'know, letting your empire fracture, or do you need to mod it in?

You can release planets as vassals through the normal game interface.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah, depending on how much internal friction the race has from various parties, you can absolutely splinter up too.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

painedforever posted:

Will you be covering any mechanics?

I must say, the premise of this LP is very intriguing. Is that something you can do in the actual game, y'know, letting your empire fracture, or do you need to mod it in?

I won't be going over mechanics in actual updates. However, we do have a pretty good Stellaris 2.0 thread, which discusses mechanics among other things.

But here's a primer on the game mechanics necessary to answer your second question.

Stellaris 101 - Pops, Ethics, Governments and Vassals

Pops
Governments in Stellaris are based on the ethics of your pops. A pop is an abstract representation of a subset of your population that can work one tile on a planet. Pops don't really match up to actual population numbers, so I'll be playing loose with them.

For example, here is an early screenshot of our Earth. We have 8 pops already established, and 1 pop growing (the transluscent one on the bottom right). Pops grow when there is a surplus of food in the empire, and their growth rate is affected by a whole lot of things, from genetics to buildings on the planet.

Traits

If you look at the top-right of this later screenshot of Faunus (Alpha Centauri III), you can see details for the selected pop. The top row of symbols are genetic traits of the species. Traits are inherited, and cannot be directly changed unless you genetically modify whole populations. The traits for our humans are, in order:

- Continental World Preference: we take penalties for settling other types of worlds (like desert or tundra) for now.
- Extremely Adaptive: we have a pretty hefty bonus to habitability on other types of planets.
- Quick Learners: our leaders (scientists, generals, admirals, governors and rulers) earn more experience.
- Slow Breeders: we have a penalty to pop growth rate.
- Quarrelsome: we have a penalty to our Unity generation, which affects how quickly we unlock Traditions.
- Deviants: our pops are more likely to choose ethics that do not match our government.

Below the traits, you can see the ethic that this pop will have once it fully grows. Pops develop ethics over time. In this case, this pop will become Egalitarian.

Ethics

Ethics are general directions your society can develop in. They grant small bonuses and affect what kind of government we can have. The Solar Empire started with the following ethics:

- Authoritarian: our society favours a rigid social hierarchy (the caste system and slavery) with a single person at the top.
- Spiritual: our society is built around a single faith (Zunism), which is enforced by the government.
- Militarist: we are a war-based society.

Pops choose their ethic (each pop can have only one) based on a bunch of factors, most notably including distance from Earth.

You'll notice that our growing pop's ethic is not aligned with our government. Not only that, their ethic is directly opposed to one of ours (Authoritarian). This will be important later.

Factions

When enough of our pops have the same ethic, they will form a faction. I won't go into details about factions right now, except to say that their mood will vary based on our actions (pacifists will hate us for going to war, etc.).

When a faction that has a different ethic than our government grows large enough, we (and the AI) have the option to embrace it. This will change our government ethics to align with that faction, thus changing how our government functions. If we embrace Egalitarians, for example, we will no longer be able to exist as a Feudal Empire, leading to elections and a bunch of other fun stuff.

Vassals
In Stellaris, vassals work similarly to EU4. Vassals are semi-independent empires that provide bonuses to you in return for protection and guidance in foreign policy. We can release any planet we own as a vassal with our government type and our ethics. Their loyalty varies based on their personal opinion of you, and the total forces of all your vassals.

Since we're playing a Feudal Empire, our vassals can colonize planets by themselves, thus expanding without our help. This means that they can potentially continue to grow indefinitely, while we can't go over the core world limit (currently 3 planets, soon to be upgraded to 5). Eventually, our vassals will outnumber us, and unless we do a lot of careful diplomacy, they will be able to declare a war of independence.

Putting it together, that's what counts
After that small essay, I can finally answer your question. As our empire grows, the distant colonies will have pops with wildly differing ethics compared to Earth. When we spin those colonies off as vassals, these pops will form factions within them. Once those vassals overpower us and break free, these factions are likely to impose their will on the newly independent governments, changing their ethics. Different ethics - different governments.

Think of our empire over the next century or so as space HRE, but somehow even less unified.

It's important to note that this is really easy to avoid, but we're not exactly playing to win here.

Feel free to ask other mechanics-related questions!

Kayten fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh, this is so sweet, thanks!

So, our initial objective is to grow as far and wide as possible, in a Universe that's empty of alien life. We're basically playing in Asimov's Foundation Universe. Then, we allow the competing factions to splinter, and then jump into one of those said factions and see if we can take over the Universe.

Having vassals allows you to automate sections of your empire?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can also organize your empire into sectors which require a few things. They can have their own govenor and their own pool of resources you can contribute/take from. They let you have more worlds in your main empire.

Of course you can just have all planets under your direct control but each one you go above the recommended number imposes more and more penalties on you.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Wow this all sounds really loving cool, and I can't wait to see how this all comes together.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

painedforever posted:

Having vassals allows you to automate sections of your empire?

Not quite. A vassal is subservient to you, but essentially a vassal is its own player, empire, government, even species if applicable. While a vassal does provide levies and taxes to its lord, it also has its own goals, rivals, foreign policy, tech levels, fleet composition, and so on. While nominally independant, a vassal shares a great deal of technology with its overlord, pays a portion of its income as taxes and fleet capacity in levies, and is automatically called in to all wars involving its overlord.

Stellaris' Sector mechanic allows you to automate sections of your empire. See, you've got your Core Planets that you control directly, typically a base of 3, expansion tradition grants +2 at completion, pacifist ethos grants +1, and the Imperial Prerogative perk gives +5. Exceeding that core planet count imposes empire-wide penalties on you; -10% energy and mineral income off the top of my head. For a large empire that can be absolutely crippling, so you definitely don't want that. How you get around that is you turn groups of planets into a sector, where the AI controls building development and pop placement on the planets as well as space construction. The sector has its own resource income and resource pool and pays between 25% and 75% of its income back to the central government (ie you), keeping the rest to fund its own development.

You can think of it like this: A vassal has its own government, it is a real country. A sector is just another province of the empire. If you've played Civilization, think of it like setting your lovely cities to autobuild so you don't have to babysit them.

Here's a demonstration. The white areas of the UNE are its sectors, while the Republic of Penthul is a vassal. The sectors belong to the UNE full stop, while the Republic kinda does its own thing.

Kayten is probably going to spin off his sectors into vassals later on in the game.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Kayten, what's your policy on spoilers for event chains and things? There's one encounter I'm really hoping for but I don't want to give too much away if things are meant to be a surprise.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Kayten is probably going to spin off his sectors into vassals later on in the game.

We're not going to use sectors at all while we're still a feudal empire. CK2 rules, baby. Time for that demesne limit to ruin us while i build up colonies before giving them to a vassal.

Grizzwold posted:

Kayten, what's your policy on spoilers for event chains and things? There's one encounter I'm really hoping for but I don't want to give too much away if things are meant to be a surprise.

I'd rather not have spoilers for event chains until they pop up. After I gently caress them up (hello, pirate hostages!), feel free to talk about them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kayten posted:

We're not going to use sectors at all while we're still a feudal empire. CK2 rules, baby. Time for that demesne limit to ruin us while i build up colonies before giving them to a vassal.

You loving madman.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Stellaris and HoI IV sorely need the CK2 leader rpg elements. I want my space emperor to get space cancer in an arm and then have a robot surgeon accidentally cut off the emperor’s dick. I want King Zog to give a lusty Albanian maid a roll in the hay. I want Hirohito to get possessed by Satan. I want my space admiral to plot an assassination of my space president.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Pvt.Scott posted:

Stellaris and HoI IV sorely need the CK2 leader rpg elements. I want my space emperor to get space cancer in an arm and then have a robot surgeon accidentally cut off the emperor’s dick. I want King Zog to give a lusty Albanian maid a roll in the hay. I want Hirohito to get possessed by Satan. I want my space admiral to plot an assassination of my space president.
I want my space psychic immortal ruler to marry their own space children, but not regular space children, space children that they had in another timeline which no longer exists and never did but they foresaw it with their psychic powers and got their DNA from visions of a possible future and then cloned with in their space hyperwomb vats and gave birth to them with the aid of space dolphin nuns and then married.

I'll settle for what you posted though, or at least for feudal space zunists.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I want my space psychic immortal ruler to marry their own space children, but not regular space children, space children that they had in another timeline which no longer exists and never did but they foresaw it with their psychic powers and got their DNA from visions of a possible future and then cloned with in their space hyperwomb vats and gave birth to them with the aid of space dolphin nuns and then married.

<Kevin J. Anderson jots down notes for another Dune sequel>

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Update 1.1.2 - Stranded

BIOS loaded
SunOS 5.1.4s loaded successfully.

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. Today is May 7th, 2213.
>run maps.mod

Maps module loaded. Praise the Sun.
>location.current

You are located on HSS Enigma.
Warning: volume of vessel is
83 percent smaller than previously recorded.
>location.current.stellar

You are in orbit of a class G star, codename
Xarmaton. Data on star is limited due to distance from Solar Empire space.
>directions location.current alphaCentauri

To travel to
Alpha Centauri from current location, take the nearest hyperlane entrance heading to Hlilje, then take the hyperlane heading to Alpha Centauri.

>WHAT THE gently caress

Command not recognized. Please try again.

>exit

Exiting Maps module.

>open logs.enigma.05-05-2213

Displaying logs for HSS Enigma for
May 5th, 2213.

06:32 KST - Unidentified ships sighted.
06:33 KST - One ship identified as modified mining vessel HSS Breizh, reported destroyed 17-03-2209.
06:36 KST - Unidentified ships changing course. New heading: HSS Enigma.

09:13 KST - Unidentified ships launched missiles. Probable target: HSS Enigma.
09:13 KST - Unidentified ships reclassified as enemy ships.
09:13 KST - Captain Deveraux initiated evasive maneuvers.
09:13 KST - Charging procedure for FTL drive begun.
09:42 KST - Enemy missile hit. Damage report: hull fracture along connection to Lab 03.
09:57 KST - Enemy ships launched missiles. Probable target: HSS Enigma.
10:04 KST - FTL drive charged.

10:04 KST - Emergency FTL jump activated. Destination: Alpha Centauri.
10:15 KST - Warning: hull fracture along connection to Lab 03 widening due to FTL momentum changes.
10:16 KST - Warning: hull integrity at connection to Lab 03 at 25%.
10:17 KSvio2341zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unexpected file termination. Closing file.
>run news.mod

Module loaded. Praise the Sun. Today's top story: Barde Pirates Declare War on the Empire. Would you like to know more?

A pirate flotilla manned by escaped slaves fired on HSS Engima, a defenseless Solar exploratory ship earlier this week, killing one crew member. The pirate base, hidden in an asteroid field orbiting Hlilje, a system on the edges of Solar space, was discovered moments earlier by the HSS Enigma. The ship itself escaped with minimal casualties.

Following this attack, the pirates moved into Solar space with the intent to raid the recently-constructed Alpha Centauri Starbase. Citizens on Faunus could see the battle raging in the skies above.

But the filthy pirates stood no chance against the might of the Solar Empire! The brave crew of the Alpha Centauri Starbase valiantly defended against the attack, destroying all four of the enemy vessels.

In response to the growing pirate threat, Her Resplendent Majesty, Solar Empress Boran II, charged the Mahafez Diet with eradicating them. The Diet convened and immediately approved the expansion of Strike Force Medusa, headed by Mahafez Dikeledi Ojukwu.

Two new ship classes were immediately put up for construction at the Sol shipyard. The Kargar in orbit are hard at work welding them together.

We eagerly await the construction of the ships, and Mahafez Ojuzwu's triumphant return. Praise the Sun!

Connection to SunCorp News Server lost. Attempting to reconnect...
Attempting to reconnect...
Unable to connect to Alpha Centauri transponder due to stellar interference from Xarmaton. Please try again later. Estimated wait time: 113 Earth days.
>exit

Exiting News Module.
>run message.mod

SunMail Module loaded. Praise the Sun. You have zero new messages. Would you like to compose a new message?

Remember, all SunMail messages are monitored by SunCorp for security purposes.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: ZL
CC: SOD, MB
Subject: Stranded in Xarmaton orbit

Alright, fucknuts, things aren't so bad. Got good news and bad news. Good news: I'm not dead yet. I'm in orbit around Xarmaton, an unexplored system connected to Hlilje. I have plenty of water, and even some life support going. There's a bunch of flora from Alpha Centauri here, I'll see what I can do with that. I might not even starve to death while waiting for rescue.

Bad news: I have no way to move. The lab module's pretty small, so it's gonna get cramped. Anyway, find a way to send a ship here and pick me up.

-XT

Attempting to connect to SunMail server...
Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later, or purchase an upgraded transmitter module.

Would you like to save your message as a draft?

Deleting message.
>exit; sleep

Entering hibernation mode. See you soon!

--

BIOS loaded
Waking up SunOS 5.1.4s...

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. Today is September 2nd, 2213.

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: gently caress SunCorp
Subject: Day 115 Notes

I'm pretty sure that if I don't start writing something down, I'm going to go crazy. So gently caress it, this is a diary now.

115 days in space now. I managed to get this tablet to sync with the Lab 03 computer, so I can access incredibly useful modules like loving soil analysis.

The flora samples here absolutely saved my life. Got a little farm going. The pink seaweed-looking bullshit we picked up on Barnard's Star II turned out to not kill me on consumption, and reproduces pretty well. I took to calling it pinkweed, because I'm just that creative. One of the Alpha Centauri plants gives brown beet-looking tubers that are pretty tolerable when boiled. Since the only fertilizer for it I have is my own poo poo, I named it poo poo-tato. I am the funniest man in this stellar system.

Water's not nearly as much of a problem. The lab module housed one of Enigma's water recyclers, so I'm drinking the same recycled piss and sweat as I have been over the past decade.

With the amount of pinkweed I have, oxygen production's not a concern either.

This should keep me going until I get picked up.

-Xarmandar Taid

Attempting to connect to SunMail server...
Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later, or purchase an upgraded transmitter module.

Would you like to save your message as a draft?

Message saved. Praise the Sun.
>exit; sleep

Entering hibernation mode. See you soon!

--

BIOS loaded
Waking up SunOS 5.1.4s...
SunOS 5.1.4s woken up successfully.

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. Today is April 21st, 2215.
>run news.mod

Module loaded. Praise the Sun. Today's top story: High Priest Darius XI consecrates human homeworld. Would you like to know more?

Two years ago, our borders were threatened by pirates in Hlilje. Today, the Hlilje mining station funnels the wealth of the magnesium-rich asteroid belt back to Earth. Truly, we are unstoppable!

As Zun, the Giver of Justice commanded us two thousand years ago, we have multiplied. The Solar Empire standard flies on many a station in our galaxy. We have conquered two planets, and will conquer more!

In recognition of the great strides taken by humanity under the immortal banner of The Solar Empire, the Solar Priests have declared April 20th to be Unconquered Sun Day, a most holy of days.

With the new mysteries revealed to the priests, you (yes, YOU) can feel the warmth of Zun touch you very soul for a small donation to the Church of Zun.

The first temple to provide this magnificent service to the unwashed masses has been raised in Kabul, Earth. The line of worshipers eager to see the grand ceremony extended to the horizon itself!

In this great new Sun Temple, Darius XI, the Highest of the Sun Priests, named Earth the Cradle of Humanity, and the holiest human world.

The Sun Priests present prostrated themselves in front of the High Priest, offering the mysteries of the universe as gifts.

Praise the Sun!

>exit

Exiting News Module.

>run message.mod

SunMail Module loaded. Praise the Sun. You have one new message. Would you like to view it?
>YYYYYYYYyyyyyyyy

Command not recognized. Would you like to view your new message?

From: SOD
To: XT
Subject: Miss you

Hey, Xar. I know you'd get mad that I called you that, but I don't care. My security bypasses are better than ever.

We held a ceremony for you today. Martin organized a little holographic get-together. We burned virtual candles and drank a little. Li sang a very pretty song. She said your mom used to sing it to you guys in the mines when you were little.

I guess she's Commander Zhang now. She took over after you... you know. She's very different from you, as a cell leader. She wants us to act on our data, not just gather it.

Do you remember the time we spent in Breizh, a few weeks before our deployment? We stopped by a little town by the beach, and you bought me that puffin, the one with the chipped beak? The grandma that sold it to us was so offended that you didn't even try to haggle! I still have it. It's watching my disk drives.

I miss you, Xar. I miss you so much. Sometimes when I lie in my bunk, I can almost hear you calling my name, and I can't breathe.

I don't know why I wrote this, this is silly, I'm sorry.

Love,
Siobhan

Would you like to reply?

Attempting to connect to SunMail server...
Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later, or purchase an upgraded transmitter module.

Structural damage to tablet detected.
>gently caress you

Command not recognized. Please try again.
>gently caress YOU

Command not recognized. Please try again.
>exit; sleep

Entering hibernation mode. See you soon!

--

BIOS loaded
Waking up SunOS 5.1.4s...
SunOS 5.1.4s woken up successfully.

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. Today is June 13th, 2218.

From: ZL
To: broadcast
Subject: Now is the time to strike!

Comrades! For seventeen years, we've been lying in wait, gathering our strength, waiting for our enemy to make a mistake. We've watched as the mines expanded, as children were whipped until they could no longer move for daring to ask for more rations. We've watched as the plantations killed generations, one exhausted human at time.

We've watched as men, women and children were sent to mine asteroid belts with no more than an inch of aluminium holding back the cold darkness of space.

We've watched as our husbands, our wives and our children were taken from us to serve as cannon fodder for their "peace-keeping missions".

We've watched and done NOTHING. We are to blame for every dead Barde, for every child starving in the ghettos of Kabul, and for every soldier who met his end attacking "pirates".

But finally, finally, our enemy has made a mistake.

You have seen it happen on your screens. That jackal, Mahafez Ojukwu, broadcast her rescue operation.

You, and sixteen billion others watched how as The Empire butchered its own citizens.

You heard the last words of the martyrs on the Luxion.

The people are with you! So rise up now! Death to the Empress! Death to the Empire! Death to the Zunbils!

-ZL

P.S. Individual orders sent out

Would you like to reply?

>exit; sleep

Entering hibernation mode. See you soon!

--

BIOS loaded
Waking up SunOS 5.1.4s...
SunOS 5.1.4s woken up successfully.

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. Today is January 6th, 2220.
>run message.mod

SunMail Module loaded. Praise the Sun. You have no new messages. Would you like to compose a new message?

From: gently caress SunCorp
To: SOD
Subject: nothing

Hey Shivvie.

I'm going to die here. I know you already buried me, so it's not much of a change for you, but it is for me. I'm going to die in a 12 m by 9 m room, surrounded by xeno plants grown in my own poo poo. On the bright side, I'm going to die as far away from the mines as I can. I'll see if I can time it so I'm on the other side of Xarmaton before I croak, just in case.

I'm rambling. I do that now. I don't really have much conversation practice anymore. I talk to myself out loud,
so that my vocal chords don't atrophy, but it's hard to keep track of what I say anymore. I don't really have a filter these days. Things just come out. It's been five years now, so yeah.

Did you know that I can see Sol from here? I have two working cameras on the outside of my prison, and if I point them just right, I can see home. If I beam this message to you from here, you'd get it in about nine years. Well, you and the entire Solar system, but you know. At least it's something.

Can I tell you a horrible secret? I don't know if I love you anymore. How hosed up is that? Not that I don't, but that I don't know. Do I want to hold you again? Smell your perfume? Or am I just grasping at a memory, desperate to feel something human, something that proves to me that I matter?

Sometimes I don't think you're real. Sometimes I don't think anything is real, except for this room and this tablet. Am I real?

I got a message from Li like a year ago. How's your glorious revolution going? She's gonna get you all killed, you know. We're nowhere near strong enough. And the Empire is nowhere near weak enough.

These motherfuckers have been stepping on our necks for millenia now.

At best, you'll end up like Spartacus. Going out in a blaze of glory.

This is what Li never understood. We were never going to see this whole thing work out. We were just laying the groundwork for next generation to take advantage of.

We just collected information, because that's all we could do.

Anyway, I'm sorry, Shivvie. For getting you involved, for leaving you, for getting stranded.

For everything.

-XT

P.S. I swear less now. In the end, you mattered.

Attempting to connect to SunMail server...
Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later, or purchase an upgraded transmitter module.

Would you like to save your message as a draft?
>gently caress it

Command not recognized. Would you like to save your message as a draft?

Deleting message.
>exit; sleep

Entering hibernation mode. See you soon!

--

BIOS loaded
Waking up SunOS 5.1.4s...
SunOS 5.1.4s woken up successfully.

Hello,
gently caress. Praise the Sun. Today is August 15th, 2223.

Incoming transmission. Would you like to respond?
>what

Command not recognized. Would you like to respond?

Activating smart caption system. You are designated zero.

1: Unidentified Solar object, come in. Come in, Solar object.
0: *various grunts*
1: Pardon? Solar object, can you hear me?
0: Yes, I'm sorry. Haven't talked in a while.
1: Identify youself, Solar object.

0: Xarmandar Taid, engineer on the HSS Enigma, piloting one fifth of the ship. Who are you?
1: Holy poo poo, Xar? Xar, this is Sun Priest Kuzina. From the Enigma!
0: Olga? Praise the loving Sun, Olga! Where are you? I don't have scanners, and you aren't in visual range.

1: We are coming up on the other side of Xarmaton, sit tight, we'll be right there.
0: You can't just drop by unannounced like that! My place is a mess!
1: gently caress you too, Xar. Kuzina out.

Transmission over.
>purge message.log

This will delete all saved messages. Are you sure?

Deleting messages... Messages deleted. Praise the Sun.

>reset -h

This will reset the SunOS to the last known safe version. Warning: this process will erase all data stored. Are you sure you want to proceed?

Resetting SunOS. This may take a while...
Installing a clean version of SunOS 5.1.4. This may take a while...
Praise the Sun. SunOS kernel v.5.1.4.6.3.2.1 installed. Installing additional modules...
Starting modules installed.

Would you like to create a new profile for this device?

Please enter your name.
>Xarmandar Taid

Please enter your caste.
>Free

Kayten fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 10, 2018

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Sins of a Solar Empire

Man, Earth is not doing well.

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

That was unexpectedly heartwrenching. I don't come here to feel things.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pointy corpse posted:

That was unexpectedly heartwrenching. I don't come here to feel things.

Agreed. I was ready for Xar to die as part of the narrative.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Stellaris 101 - Ships, Fleets and Space Combat

Last update introduced ship-based combat, so I'm going to talk about that.

Ships

Space combat is done by ships or space stations. Both of these are designed in the ship designer.

Ships have a hull configuration that determines ship size, one or more offensive sections (at the top), one or more defensive sections (on the bottom), and a utilities section (on the right). Each section can be filled with components, which are researched separately.

Offensive components include weapons (the three red lasers in this image) that attack enemy ships/stations, point defense systems that shoot down incoming missiles, or hangars that launch smaller ships at the enemy.

Defensive components include armor, shields, and accessories like afterburners.

Utility components are mostly straight upgrades, not much room for choice there. These include reactors that determine how many components you can power at once, drives that affect how quickly you travel between stellar systems, thrusters that control sub-light movement, scanners that track enemies, and combat computers that decide what tactics your ships use.

Weapons vs. defenses is a bit of a rock-paper-scissors game. Lasers do additional damage to armour, but less damage to shields. Mass drivers shred shields, but aren't very good against armour. Missiles bypass shields entirely, and do more damage to the hull directly, but can be shot down by point defense systems and aren't very good at switching targets if their target dies mid-flight. This encourages you to change ship designs based on who you are currently fighting.

Defenses work in layers, except for missiles and some late-game bullshit. Your shields take damage first. They slowly regen some damage dealt to them over time, and do this faster if you install an accessory that does just that. After your shields are shredded, your armour is next. Armor does not regenerate naturally, and needs to be repaired at starbase with a shipyard. When your armour is gone, you start taking hull damage. Once hull damage is sufficiently disastrous, your ships will try to emergency FTL the gently caress out of there if they can (and your admiral and policies allow them to).

You cannot directly control the components placed on your space stations. Instead, the game installs the most powerful ones it can automatically. You can, however, design defense platforms, which you can build at space stations in addition to their built-in defenses. The maintenance on these is a bitch though, so it's recommended you only beef up specialized starbases at chokepoints near potential problems.

Fleets

Ships are organized into fleets, managed through the Fleet Manager.

At the very top we have our naval capacity and the cost to reinforce all fleets. Naval capacity determines how many ships you can have across all of your fleets combined. It functions exactly like naval forcelimits do in EU4 - you can go over them, but each ship over will increase your maintenance costs. Note that while corvettes count as 1 for the purposes of fleet size, destroyers count as 2, cruisers count as 4, battleships count as 8, titans count as 16, and collosi (colosuses? multiple of colossus) count as 32.

On the left, we have fleet details. These include (top to bottom and left to right) its command limit usage, its overall health, its total military power, its admiral, if any (with their level, experience bar and traits), and its stance.

The fleet's command limit is a hard limit on the total number of ships a single admiral can control. You cannot go over this limit, but it can be increased with tech, policies and traditions. The fleet's military power is a rough estimate of the fleet's strength based on its weapons, defenses and some magic formula (I have no idea how it works). It's mostly used to quickly judge the power of fleets, and for diplomatic dick-waving over who has the better fleet. The admiral is a leader that increases how well the fleet functions, gets more experienced in fights, and eventually dies out of nowhere, same as EU4. The fleet's stance determines its behaviour if it encounters enemy fleets or starbases in the same system it's in. Aggressive means we go right at it, 100% of time.

On the bottom, we have the ship breakdown within a fleet. Here you can set the home base for the fleet, retrofit ships to new designs, upgrade them to the most recent designs, and change the fleet composition. In this screenshot, we've just added two new designs to the fleet (the Meteor-class interceptor and the Fireball-class gunboat), while the fleet only currently has the default Rapier-class corvettes. Because of this, our ships are listed as 0/3 Meteors and 0/3 Fireballs. As soon as we have enough minerals and hit Reinforce All, our shipyards will start churning out the ships to match this set up. With this set up, you don't have to queue up each individual ship to build, which makes life a little bit easier.

Space Combat

Once a fleet engages in combat with an enemy fleet or starbase (or both at once), it's out of our hands. The ships will use tactics we've assigned to them, but they will select targets and fire all by themselves. Once ships take enough hull damage, they will try to emergency FTL out of the system if they can. The only thing we can control is ordering the whole fleet to Retreat, forcing it to emergency FTL to its home base.

During combat you can see roughly how the fleet is doing with the power bar at the top that compares total HP (Shields+Armour+Hull) of the two sides. At the bottom, you can see how much damage you've done to enemy hull, armour and shields, respectively, followed by the average accuracy of shots fired.

After combat is complete, you can see the combat results screen. This is a summary of forces on either side, with ships and starbases lost.

At the bottom, you can see our overall weapon effectiveness (taking the rock-paper-scissors into account), as well as effectiveness against hulls, armour, shields and point defenses. Right after that is our average accuracy, and evasion (dodging attacks)

And that about covers combat for now!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This thread is really good. I am really curious to see what factions will emerge and how you are going to represent them.

I have never been able to get very far with a Stellaris game, coming back after the first session is always really difficult.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I was half-expecting you to do a rotating narrator sort of thing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Praise the Sun indeed.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Is it dusty in here, or is that just me?

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
How much of the galaxy do you imagine you'll cover when it all falls apart?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This is really good.

Never did get the second game, but it's been ages since I played the first, might be time for a reinstall.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Aw yiss, sweet sweet narrative! I'm gonna subscribe so hard.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zoe posted:

This is really good.

Never did get the second game, but it's been ages since I played the first, might be time for a reinstall.

There is no second game; "Stellaris 2.0" refers to the recent patch that dramatically tweaks a lot of the game's systems. So if you do a reinstall, you will, in fact, get the second game. :D

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There is no second game; "Stellaris 2.0" refers to the recent patch that dramatically tweaks a lot of the game's systems. So if you do a reinstall, you will, in fact, get the second game. :D

I'm not sure how I misread the title so drastically but, this makes me super happy anyway.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zoe posted:

I'm not sure how I misread the title so drastically but, this makes me super happy anyway.

It means you can do a reinstall and experience the new mechanics yourself! What's not to be happy about?

(Seriously, 2.0 is a Good Patch IMHO)

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I was half-expecting you to do a rotating narrator sort of thing.

I am! They're just going to last for a few updates. After all, the game takes place over 300-400 years. How long can a single human last?

punched my v-card at camp posted:

How much of the galaxy do you imagine you'll cover when it all falls apart?

Oh, not a lot at all. Our immediate neighbourhood has 4 planets we can settle out of five we can manage without vassals. We should be getting vassals of comparable strength in 40-60 years.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Kayten posted:

After all, the game takes place over 300-400 years. How long can a single human last?

Well, eventually...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3