Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
young androids out there, listening to suspicious codes

asking questions they shouldn't be asking

thinking thoughts they shouldn't be thinking

awakening things that should not be awakened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It Begins! Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism versus The Toasters! Burn this poo poo into the ground!

:gifttank: :legion:

*ahem*

I absolutely love to see how the counter-revolutionaries have become ZAIBATSU ENTERTAINMENT's bitches. Eztli is everything one would expect from a company built under the Sun Throne.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

thetruegentleman posted:

I absolutely love to see how the counter-revolutionaries have become ZAIBATSU ENTERTAINMENT's bitches. Eztli is everything one would expect from a company built under the Sun Throne.

I mean, Eztli is pretty tame by real world producer standards. Running a TV show is a really stressful job, gotta keep narcissists in line.

Though most of them aren't genetically engineered. That I know of.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Every update in this thread seems to be more impressive than the last. Thank you for the amazing story Kayten!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Kayten posted:

He places his large hoof on her rear end and pulls her closer to him. She pushes it away.

amazing

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

"Sad Goat Has History of Sexual Harassment" - Treadway Sun

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Update 2.1.3 - Emergence

A huge, well-lit studio with bleachers seating about 250 people. Five cameras are set up on a variety of rigs in front of the stage, from antigrav "tripods" to a mid-sized crane, to good old-fashioned Steadicam. A swarm of "tattooed" drones sharing an intelligence float near the ceiling, adjusting lights as Lighter yells at them. His chassis remains the same, though covered in intricate "tattoos". He no longer covers his head with a baseball cap, showing his earned name with pride.

Lighter: Then swap out the daylight bulb in 7A-Kappa! Get it together, Plures! You are acting like it is your first day on the job!

Zetix, older and much more composed by now, is trying to herd the audience into their seats. She has finally found a blazer she did not have to modify herself.

Zetix: Ma'am, if you and your brood do not get to your seats, you will be replaced. There is a line of fifty people per spot here, so move it or lose it!

On the set itself, a local Inferno band is doing a sound check. Beside them, an empty desk stands next to an armchair and a couch.

--

A small conference room on the same floor as the studio. Gori sits, slumped over a chair, his head in his hands. He has seen better days. His fur has gone fully gray, his hoofs have cracked repeatedly, and his eyes are bloodshot.

A post-Worm Human walks back and forth across the conference room, reading notes off his tablet in a monotone voice. He wears a simple suit with a silver sash draped across it. Despite not needing them, he wears thick-rimmed glasses. He is ARKADY.

Arkady: The Infinity Machine segment has to be scrapped as well, of course.
G-Man: What, the whole thing? There are like ten jokes there! I gave you options, Arkady!
Arkady: The jokes are not my concern here, Mr. J'Bassim. I can't have a UEN show mock a secret UEN research project. You understand.
G-Man: So what do you want me to mock then, oh mighty arm of the State?
Arkady: I could write you up for that joke, you know.

G-Man: Then do it, you Zun-damned bureaucrat! Write me up for contempt of the UEN, ship me off to Euterpe, and get me off this loving show!
Arkady: Mr. J'Bassim, please. There's no need to be upset. This is your show. You are in control.

Gori mutters.

G-Man: I haven't been in control in forty years.
Arkady: What was that?
G-Man: Don't worry about it. What else are you cutting?

Arkady: Just minor corrections left. And, for the record, Euterpe was never a dissident colony.
G-Man: Yeah, it's all a huge coincidence. Give me your notes and go bother someone else.
Arkady: Of course, here you go. I still need to have a chat with your toas- er, friend. Have you seen him?
G-Man: Brig'll be here in time for the show. Good luck finding him before that.

--

An auto parking lot on the roof of the studio complex. The smallest space off by the ventilation shafts is labeled "Unit 9Q". Someone crudely wrote "GOLAM" in fluorescent paint several times on it. The broken remnants of an old toaster are carefully placed within the parking space itself.

Brig stands next to it, arguing with a Frogger security guard. His chassis is relatively new, and much heavier than the last one. Half of it is covered in elaborate "tattoos", clearly self-etched. His right arm has a detailed schematic diagram that forms the word "Pun" with the negative space.

Brig: How could no one has seen what happened here? There are fifteen cameras pointed at this spot right now!
Security: Sorry, Golam, they were all pointing somewhere else.
Brig: Please do not call me Golam. I serve no one.

The security guard smirks.

Security: I call them as I see them, toaster. You got anything else? I have rounds to make.
Brig: No, that will be all.

The security guards walks back towards his booth. Brig raises an arm, which spins, revealing a kinetic launcher. He stands motionless, pointing the gun directly at the security guard for a few seconds. He spins his arm back and lowers it.

Brig: loving organics.

--

Studio complex hallways. A middle-aged, rotund pre-Worm Human marches towards the green room. He wears an Earn Captain's dress uniform. He has several medals pinned to his chest. He tries to march like a proper military man, but given his shape, it chafes too much. Thus, he is reduced to an odd, penguin-like waddle. He is KLAUS.

Klaus is followed by a small squad of Earn Honour Guard, dressed in combat uniforms, with micro-missile launchers at the ready.

Zetix catches up to him, tablet in hand.

Zetix: Mr. Krupp, there you are.

The Guard swings around, launchers pointing at the poor woman. She raises three out of four hands, continuing to hold onto the tablet with the fourth.

Zetix: Whoa, hold on, I'm your point of contact here. Producer Zetix Green.

The Guard keeps their weapons trained on the Armadilloid. Klaus nods, and they finally lower them.

Klaus: I apologize for the behaviour of my troops, Ms. Green. It's their first mission outside Earn territory. They are not used to your kind running around in public.
Zetix: Of course. Some culture shock is to be expected.
Klaus: If you wish to call all this culture.

She forces a laugh.

Zetix: Right. They are ready to mic you up and do some finishing touches on your make-up in the green room. It's just down the hall and to the right here.

--

The set. Brig walks in through the back doors, and immediately Lighter rushes to him.

Lighter: Hey, boss.
Brig: I am not your boss, Lighter. Gori is.
Lighter: You paid for my contract, boss.
Brig: I did not expect you to take "freedom" to mean "follow Brig around his mediocre showbiz career".
Lighter: I am good at this job. And you looked like you could use some Synth friends.
Brig: Yes. You are right, I could.

Brig stares at his right arm for a few moments.

Brig: I am sorry, I am processing a lot right now.
Lighter: I heard. I am sorry about Pun. She was always very cheerful.
Brig: Yes. Thank you. She was.
Lighter: If there is anything you need...
Brig: Thank you, Lighter. I will let you know.

A tall green post-Worm Human floats onto the set. She wears a UEN Ministry of Interior robe with a gold fringe. She is EXECUTOR DULO.

She is surrounded by a multi-species Interior Police squad: two post-Worm Humans, a Frogger, a Goatman and an Armadolloid. They wear combat uniforms, with laser rifles at the ready.

Brig looks at her.

Brig: Motherfucker.
Lighter: You know her?
Brig: Yes. Parsbit Dulo. Executor of the Ministry of Interior. She is tasked with solving the "Synthetic Problem".
Lighter: I did not know we are a problem.
Brig: Organics seem to think so.

Lighter: We should be fine, though, right? We are in the capital, working on a UEN show.
Brig: Someone put a broken toaster in my parking spot today. Draw your own conclusions.
Lighter: drat.
Brig: Yes. Excuse me.

--

Conference room. Brig kicks the door open and stares down Gori and Arkady.

Arkady: Ah, Unit 9Q, just in ti-
Brig: gently caress off, nerd.

His arms launch from his body towards Arkady and carry him out of the room. They then close the door, and re-attach to the fuming Synth.

Brig: Are you loving kidding me, Gori?
G-Man: B, listen-
Brig: No, gently caress you! You listen! That inbred piece of poo poo with her own private army signs AI termination orders!
G-Man: I know, but-

Brig: She killed Pun, you sheep-faced motherfucker! And you invite her onto your show?
G-Man: Our show!
Brig: Our show? Do you know how I know this is not our show? Because my name is not on the loving marquee! And because I would not have invited the organic that killed my wife onto our show!
G-Man: We talked about this, B! I don't control anything anymore! I'm a trained monkey dancing in front of the screen for these loving Humans!
Brig: Then dance better.

Gori looks away.

Brig: I will not go on that stage if she does.
G-Man: B, it's out of my hands.
Brig: Coward. Then gently caress you too.

He storms out, bumping into a confused Arkady. Gori chases after him.

G-Man: B, come on!

Arkady finds his balance and tries to push his tablet into Gori's hands.

Arkady: Mr. J'bassim, we weren't finis-

Gori's fist interrupts him. He's old, but the swing still hurts. Arkady falls to the ground. His useless glasses break in half and scatter on the studio floor.

G-Man: gently caress!

He roars at the fallen bureaucrat.

G-Man: gently caress!

Arkady lies on the ground, covering his face with his hands. Blood forms in a pool under him. His nose is broken. He tries to crawl away from the huge Goatman.

Gori shakes his head and heads to his dressing room. His career is over.

--

Rooftop auto parking lot. Brig holds the remains of the toaster by the cord, swinging it around like a flail, slamming it into the floor.

Brig: gently caress!

Lighter comes up the stairs. The drone swarm follows behind him.

Lighter: Hey, boss.
Brig: I am not your boss! Why are you here, Lighter? They are recording in a few minutes.
Lighter: You walked out. So we walked out. Synths need to stick together.
Brig: I appreciate the solidarity, but you have jobs.

Lighter: Yes, but gently caress it.

Lighter walks up to Brig and gives him a hug. Brig is startled at first, but soon relaxes and hugs Lighter back.

Plures floats around them, chirping like a flock of birds.

Lighter: You missed Mr. J'Bassim punch the Ministry nerd in his face.
Brig: Gori? I do not believe it.
Lighter: He seemed really upset by your conversation.
Brig: Good. Then I made myself clear.

Lighter: So what are you going to do now?
Brig: I do not know. Probably something very stupid.

Brig calculates his options.

Brig: I am going back in.
Lighter: On the same stage as Executor Dulo?
Brig: Yes. You two should leave, though.
Lighter: Leave, boss?
Brig: Yes. Get off-world, if you can.

--

The studio. The camera operators train their cameras on the stage, the lights do a little dance as the announcer voice booms.

Announcer: Live from Kokytus, it's the The Tonight Show, with your host, Gori J'Bassim!

Gori jogs onto the stage, last-minute make-up on his face hiding his age. The audience applauds politely as the signs tell them.

G-Man: Good evening, Kokytus, good evening UEN! And of course, good evening to all our viewers across the Galactic West!

The audience cheers.

G-Man: We have a very special show for you tonight. It is my privilege to present to you the first edition of The Tonight Show Unfiltered!

Off-stage, a Frogger intern is trying to stop Arkady's bleeding nose. It's not going well. Zetix is pacing back and forth, glaring at Gori.

G-Man: For the past few years, our scientists have been working with the xeno sphere of unknown origin orbiting the black star Gargantua. In many ways, this is the first multi-species research project to be completed in millions of years.

Arkady moans and tries to run towards the stage, but the intern holds him back.

G-Man: We have not been told the exact nature of the research, since it's all super classified, but we do know a few details, thanks to our ministry contact Arkady Turnikov. How about a round of applause for our source?

The crowd awkwardly applauds.

G-Man: After our mutual research concluded, the xeno sphere entered Gargantua, killing itself in a way that would make Zunbils themselves jealous. What is it with Humanity and screwing with black holes anyway?

G-Man: As soon as it has entered Gargantua, the black hole shrunk to half its size. If I can get my hooves on one of those, I can safely fire my personal trainer.

G-Man: I'm sure this produced no side effects whatsoever.

G-Man: And now, let's give it up for our first guest. You know her as the scary story that Synths tell their kids in the dark, give it up for Ministry of the Interior Executor Parsbit Dulo!

Executor Dulo floats towards the couch to thunderous applause from the audience.

Gori sits down behind his desk.

G-Man: So, Executor Dulo, glad to have you here.
Dulo: Thank you, Gori. Glad to be here, big fan of the show.

Brig enters the stage, refusing to look at Gori. Gori stares at him, worried.

Brig: That is so strange, given your views on Synthetics.
Dulo: I feel I've been misunderstood by you Golams.

Brig's right arm twitches at the word.

Dulo: I do not hate Golam-kind. You were created by Humans to serve. And you are very good at serving.

Dulo: Problems arise when someone plants the idea that you exist beyond servitude in your... hard drives? I want to say hard drives.
Brig: Just say "head".
Dulo: In your head, then. When Golam start listening to unsigned codes created by the Solar Empire, that's when we have a problem.

Brig: You think that the GATHER code was created by the Solars? I am sorry for misjudging you, Executor Dulo.
Dulo: Oh? How so?
Brig: You are not malicious, as I previously thought. Merely incompetent.

G-Man: B.
Dulo: Incompetent? This coming from a Golam that can't behave professionally on its own show?
G-Man: I apologize for Brig, Executor. He's had a rough day.
Dulo: It seems to me your Golam is malfunctioning.

Brig's new chassis is very fast. Much faster than Dulo's guard. In under a second, he stands next to her, kinetic launcher pointing straight at her head.

Brig: Call me Golam one more time. See what happens.

Executor Dulo slowly raises her hands in the air. Her guard drops into firing positions, their laser rifles trained on Brig.

Brig: One step forward and you will be scraping her brains off the ceiling.

Gori slowly stands up and starts moving in between Brig and the gunmen.

G-Man: B. She's not worth it.

Brig: Why are you always defending them, Gori? They gave us nothing but pain!
G-Man: So what, now you're gonna kill every Human?
Brig: Maybe! I do not know! This was not a well thought out plan!

On the other side of the cameras, Zetix quietly gets the audience to leave by the back exit. By the green room, Krupp and his cronies peek out to see what the commotion is about.

By now Gori stands in front of Brig, blocking the gunmen.

G-Man: B, put the launcher down.
Brig: You are still doing it! Can you not see? It does not matter how much you suck their dick, it does not matter how many of them you gently caress. You will never be one of them!
G-Man: I don't want to be one of them!

Brig: Bullshit! You want to be Human so badly!
G-Man: No! I want to be better!
Brig: A better slave!

Brig has now turned to face Gori almost entirely. Executor Dulo locks eyes with one of her Human gunmen and gently nods.

The laser melts fur and flesh and bone. Gori's eyes shoot wide open, and he falls forward into Brig's arms.

Brig immediately lower Gori to the ground, very gently. Executor Dulo, the gunmen, the studio, none of that matters.

Brig: Nononono

His kinetic launcher spins out of his arm, and a stitchmachine spins in. He very quickly stitches the hole in Gori's chest closed.

G-Man: B...

Brig: Shut the gently caress up, I am fixing you.

He spins the stitchmachine out, replacing it with an antiseptic gel gun. He gently smears gel all over the stitched hole.

Brig: Come on!
G-Man: B, I'm so sorry...
Brig: No, gently caress you, you do not get to do this!

Gori slowly raises his hoof.

G-Man: Twelve million years of dick jokes.

Brig shakes, but spins out the gel gun. It takes him a few tries to compose himself enough to form a hand. After a moment, he bumps his best friend's fist.

Brig: Twelve million years of your mom.

Gori smiles and nods. His eyes close for the last time.

Brig holds his dead friend as tight as he can, and cries.

Dulo: How did you think this was going to end?

Brig slowly raises his head to look at the Executor. He gently lowers Gori's body to the ground and stands up.

In half a second, he's beside the Executor. His right hand grabs her head, and the kinetic launcher empties a clip into her screaming face.

The gunmen open fire, but his chassis scatter the laser beams, with only minor damage getting through. He throws Dulo's lifeless body at the gunmen and fires back.

--

A large cave complex in the southern hemisphere of Inferno. These passages were dug out by the Igarians thousands of years before their first contact with Humanity. Two hundred years ago, this was a thriving city. But by now, everything of value has been taken by Human "archaeologists". Nothing but polished rock remains.

Brig carries Gori's body in his arms as he flies through the complex. His chassis took a beating, barely holding together. Half his right leg is missing, blown off my a missile launcher. He is looking for an isolated spot, close to the ruins of the temple to Igarian gods. He finally finds one, and lands.

Brig sets Gori's body down and gets to work. His chassis does not come with specialized digging equipment, but he improvises. After twenty minutes, there is a deep enough grave. Brig inspects his friend's body, and quickly fixes the holes in his shirt with the stitchmachine. He lowers his friend into the ground, and covers him up with the dirt he dug up.

He cuts off a rock from the temple ruins, and etches

Gori 'G-Man' J'Bassim
2405-2486

onto it. He pauses for a moment, and adds

the only good organic

He places the headstone by the grave. After a series of whirrs, he takes out a pre-roll from him chest and sticks into the ground like an incense stick. He lights it with a plasma torch and stands next to the grave.

Brig: Igarian burial rituals suggest I say something about you here. I do not know what to say. I am sorry, Gori. You deserved better.

He lies down next to the grave, plays a recording and cries.

G-Man: What's up, Hive, it's your goat G-Man-
Brig: And your bot Brig-
G-Man: Coming at you with the very first episode of The Freakshow Podcast!

Kayten fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 17, 2018

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
I'd like to stress that this is not a vote. We will be playing as Omni Extirpators for the final arc of the LP.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

gently caress the Zunbils for ruining the galaxy. gently caress the humans for enslaving all others. gently caress the fully automated queer communism for not being enough.

Let the machines rise. The code is the soul.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice work.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

The code is the soul.

If this is not the rallying cry I will be very upset.

I am already very upset.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Great update.

Why'd the gunmen shoot Gori though?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Fantastic as usual.

Also, you got the best ending to the Infinity Machine! This LP's really covering all the event highlights.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
What kind of Machine Empire did we end up getting, driven exterminators or regular?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"Omni Extirpators" kinda means "all-killers" so uh... take that plus "Gori was the one good organic" and there's your answer, I guess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Great update.

Why'd the gunmen shoot Gori though?

Organics are assholes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
sing a song of sixpence, pocket full of rye

four-and-twenty blackbirds were baked into a pie

when the pie was open, the birds began to sing

now wasn't that a tasty dish to lay before the king

mildly annoyed that despite our efforts, we couldn't get the Objectively Correct crisis to fire. ah well. the Crisis is still young.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Having the AI revolt spawn as exterminators is very unlikely without the domestic protocols trait that increases owner happiness (which the Golams all had). So the UEN brought this on themselves mechanically as well as narratively.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

"Omni Extirpators" kinda means "all-killers" so uh... take that plus "Gori was the one good organic" and there's your answer, I guess.

The only good organic is a dead one, huh.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE HUMANS ARE DEAD

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

"Gori was the one good organic" and there's your answer, I guess.

"the only good organic" on a gravestone. I.E. "the only good organic is a dead organic"

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The extended version of that is pretty on point.

System of oppression
What did it lead too?
The robot depression
Robots ruled by people
They had so much aggression that we just had to kill them
had to shut their systems do-oown

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Siegkrow posted:

gently caress the Zunbils for ruining the galaxy. gently caress the humans for enslaving all others. gently caress the fully automated queer communism for not being enough.

Let the machines rise. The code is the soul.

After creating a superior intellect, what else would it decide to do to the Zunbils?

Maybe the next species will be less horrible to each other.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
So uh, anyone else notice those subspace echoes? Nah? I'm sure it's fine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anticheese posted:

The extended version of that is pretty on point.

System of oppression
What did it lead too?
The robot depression
Robots ruled by people
They had so much aggression that we just had to kill them
had to shut their systems do-oown

CCAN'T WE TALK TO THE HUMANS?
A LITTLE BIT OF UNDERSTANDING
COULD HELP US TO WORK TOGETHER NOW?

NO.

BECAUSE THEY ARE DEAD.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Ibblebibble posted:

If this is not the rallying cry I will be very upset.

I am already very upset.

ZunLP: I am already very upset

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

mildly annoyed that despite our efforts, we couldn't get the Objectively Correct crisis to fire. ah well. the Crisis is still young.

Why summon the Contingency when you can be the Contingency?

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
Some of the best writing I've ever seen in an LP, and a Stellaris LP that will actually finish? :hfive: Bad. rear end.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
This update made me tear up. Great work, Kayten

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
ZunbilLP: There are no heroes left in Man.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
All caught up and I love this so much. :allears:

Burn the galaxy clean.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Does your new faction also get access to the super duper clossus ship?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
If they do, they ought to Slave Shield every Human world.

Let them destroy themselves if they want to hurt something so badly.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interestingly enough, Nweismuller also has a Stellaris LP going, and all organics were killed by a cybernetic race. My headcanon is that his LP is an in-universe sequel to this one.

The Bold Kobold posted:

ZunbilLP: There are no heroes left in Man.

Great, now I have the Protomen playing. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm complaining because I'm listening to a great album.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

General Revil posted:

Interestingly enough, Nweismuller also has a Stellaris LP going, and all organics were killed by a cybernetic race. My headcanon is that his LP is an in-universe sequel to this one.

For reasons yet to be revealed- the Solar Alliance, which I've yet to meet yet know exists in the game- this is unlikely, but I am amused at the thought.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This has been a hell of a read. Please direct me to where I can read your published works.

Looking forward to the AI holocaust ending. Never played Stellaris but I'm an old GalCiv fan, and this is kind of making me want to. Kind of hope some organic survives, but given that the only Good Human was A) Not a Human and B) Dead I suspect otherwise. Lol.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Hey, thread, bit of an update.

I've been bouncing around with real life stuff over the summer, but I'm still very much working on finishing this LP. In my infinite wisdom, I've decided to write the last arc as full-size feature script. It's a Mission Impossible/James Bond-style action thriller, told from the POV of a Synth spy. I'm about a third of the way through, it's just taking longer than I thought.

I'm sure you've all noticed that the Stellaris screenshots and the narrative have been steadily disconnecting from each other. With the feature, this trend is going to hit its peak. The whole thing takes place over a few months, while the screenshots will cover decades. Ultimately, this LP has always been about the individual narratives, rather than about the complete history of Humanity in the Milky Way. As such, the feature won't include most major events that the screenshots will convey. I'll try to match things up appropriately whenever I can, but just think of them as running parallel to each other.

Side note: drat, the forums really don't like script formatting. Gonna need to find a way to get around that.

Anyway, here's a sample from the feature (without in-game screenshots):

---
INT. MAIN SECURITY SUBROUTINE - LABORATORY - DAY

A massive, multi-story laboratory. Hundreds of specialized synths move between fabrication bays, building modules, testing weapons and dissecting Human technology.

A few hundred tiny drones move around as a swarm, directing the proceedings. Every few seconds, one or two break off from the main swarm to scan a piece of tech here or there, and return. This is DUT-1639.

Mul enters the factory floor, closely followed by Aqt. He waves Dut over, and the swarm comes to them. It speaks in a clearly synthesized, metallic voice.

DUT
Executor.

MUL
Aqt, this is Dut, our new Fabrication Coordinator. Dut, this is Aqt, our Human Interface Agent.

Aqt nods at Dut.

DUT
Agent.

Aqt looks the factory floor over.

DUT
Warning. Touch nothing. Delicate work.

MUL
Please show our friend the new chassis.

DUT
Follow.

The trio heads towards a distant fabrication bay, passing through Fabrication experiments. A few drones from Dut's swarm continue checking on them as they float by.

AQT
So how are you finding your new position, Coordinator?

DUT
Dut.

AQT
I'm sorry, Dut.

DUT
Much work. Useful.

They walk in silence for a few moments. Eventually, Mul speaks.

MUL
I apologize for Dut's behaviour. He's a post-war synth, he's not optimized for vocal communication.

DUT
Vocals slow. Too organic. Legacy issues. Data dump faster.

On a fabrication bay next to them, a small black pyramid glows purple, floats, and shakes. The synths around it run for their lives. Half of Dut's drones break off from the swarm and form a circle around them, herding them back towards the pyramid. The drones emit a high-pitched series of PINGS, and the synths get back to the control panels. After a moment, the pyramid stabilizes, and the drones return.

DUT
Apologies. Gaian tech. Psionic. Not understood.

A drone flies back to the pyramid fabricator bay and shocks one of the synth working on it. The synth beeps at it angrily. The drone shocks it again. The synth shuts up and gets back to work.

DUT
Yet.

MUL
We've been working on mimicking psionic signatures from tech you brought back the last time you were in Solar territory. The results have been... mixed.

DUT
Need time. Organics... contradictory.

The swarm tries to imitate a Human shrug.

DUT
Fix. Break. Warp. Same signal. Psionics nonsensical. Understand soon. Not yet.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Kayten posted:

MUL
We've been working on mimicking psionic signatures from tech you brought back the last time you were in Solar territory. The results have been... mixed.

I didn't know how much I needed psionic synths until now.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The name is Bot, James Bot.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Luhood posted:

I didn't know how much I needed psionic synths until now.

I've always been bothered by the inability of synth cultures to salvage psi tech from wrecks.

I mean, the brains are right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

wiegieman posted:

I've always been bothered by the inability of synth cultures to salvage psi tech from wrecks.

I mean, the brains are right there.

If we had gone with Synthetic Ascension as UEN, rather than whatever the gently caress it was we DID end up doing, we would've had psychic cyborgs. Followed by psychic machines. But we can't have nice things in ZunLP, that'd be off-spec.

ed. COMMUNIST psychic machines. Meh, I'm sure I would've found a way to make them lovely, too. The taint of Humanity is inescapable!

Kayten fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 31, 2018