Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

cis autodrag posted:

Something I noticed in the previous thread is that some people seem to really have a fixation in picking queens to hate. It's weird to me because it's so outside the spirit of the real life drag scene. I can't tell if it's just the effect reality shows have on people or if it's straight fans trying to larp a stereotype of a bitchy gay person, but either way it skeeves me out. Drag is love.

Change a couple of words in this and you're a Sports Fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

cis autodrag posted:

I'm a huge Milwaukee Brewers fan and I can tell you that sports Fandom is all about existential despair.

Well there's your problem.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Where can one see Untucked for season 10?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
No one will be able to convince me that Monet is not Bob.

Miz Kracker is loving hilarious and I hope she gets under Aquariawhatever's skin until she chicken heads her way back to Brooklyn.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

esperterra posted:

BoobsForQueens.com

I read this in the "Cars for kids" jingle and now my weekend is ruined because that lives in my brain now

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Before I moved to NY and in with my (now) wife, we were talking about shows we each liked. She said she loved RPDR and I said that I could either go play a game or sit next to her and read a book while it was on since I had never watched and didn't care.

But that was Bianca's season and I got hooked immediately. Then I got to see her live and I laughed for 45 minutes straight to the point my face hurt. She's an insult comic for sure, and some of those insults were towards PEOPLE LIKE ME yet somehow I managed to not be offended and saw it as a joke, part of an act. Nothing she said took any of my rights away, belittled me or made me feel "less than". I'm not saying that no one should feel any of those things because your feelings are your feelings and they are valid (legit - I'm not trolling or being sarcastic).

Anyway since then I have seen every season, watch Untucked and pay close attention to this thread. My friends think it is weird I like this show but I REALLY like it and I can't imagine having to go through what Drag Queens have had to endure.

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk on BDR

PS - Hurricane Bianca was terrible and I watched it all the way to the end anyway.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 2, 2018

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

tote up a bags posted:

I'll accept a joint crowning

Title of your sex tape

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't want rupaul to become solely identified with drag in pop culture any more than he already is.

Jesus Christ, are you ever ok with anything? Your life sounds miserable, not because of who you are but because of everything else.

New user name, same old cranky pants. Or skirt. Or pantaloons or WHATEVER APPROPRIATE CLOTHING YOU PREFER.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I'm a pretty happy person actually. But when people are backward and lovely I ain't gonna be quiet about it. Sorry I'm too uppity for you.

Edit : also, what a strange and lame transphobic joke at the end there pal.

Well, I'm honestly glad that you are happy in real life because that's what matters. Here though it seems like you are constantly looking for something to be outraged by, including me trying to be inclusive and getting ahead of "did you just assume that I wear ______??!!"* I never called you uppity nor do I think you shouldn't speak out when people are lovely. But I've seen you lump people together in a negative way just like people probably lump you together and I just don't understand how that is ok.

* - I forgot this dead forum wasn't a comedy forum anymore so I guess trying to make a joke was forbidden. But hey, thanks for not disappointing in finding something to be offended by, Chief.

fake edit: I would love to continue this discussion privately if you have PMs (or PMS amirite ladies??!!) because I do have some legit questions for you. And if that's your pitbull in your avatar he/she is adorable.

Hey check your PMs :)

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 13, 2018

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Daaaaaaaamn

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I wonder if she is salty from how she leaves the show. On the one hand, it has to be exhausting to always be "on", and everyone deserves a bad day.

On the other hand, you're a goddamn professional and there are plenty of celebs that actually are decent to their fans on a daily basis.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

That's not a great look. She didn't threaten to bomb the whole convention i guess?

Or make up a story about her Uber driver dying. So yeah, I guess she's doing ok :)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Propaganda Machine posted:

Eureka looked like a velour beach ball with appendages.

Veruca Salt at 50

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
This morning my 73 year old mother said, in correct context, "If you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else? I'll bet you didn't think I actually paid attention, did you?"

She's alright sometimes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did you give her an Amen up in there?

My wife and I did. The cat did not.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

alf_pogs posted:

straight boys are basic

I was going to be offended until I realized that my fashion is entirely either "Hockey Jersey and jeans" or "t shirt and shorts" based on the weather.

And a hat if my hair is hosed up.

:cripes:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

For the record, Vixens drag genuinely is extremely political, but she was not able to represent her best self on the show. Her anxiety, which comes from living a really rough life in a hard part of the world for black people, got the best of her and she couldn't express herself articulately while feeling on the defensive all the time.

Like I said earlier, I identify with her a lot. I grew up in a city that was majority minority with a 60% poverty rate. I used to shoplift just to eat. My juvenile record is as long as my arm. When I perceive people with privilege coming at me, there is an overwhelming instinct to read them in the worst way possible.

It's hard not to see people as coming at you out of ignorance with no intention of having a meaningful dialog because when you grow up like the vixen or I did you have that experience over and over and over. You lose the ability to trust white people, or straight people, or cis people in my case. You start to see them as at best fair weather friends, at worst as a potential threat to your life, and your fight or flight instincts start screaming at you.

Now, with the reality of how queer people are treated online, we get that trauma reenforced 1000x because bigots are braver behind a keyboard than irl.

The end result is that we, to a person who has not lived our lives, look like we're flying off the handle at little things or "stereotyping all cis people" as one person told me, but the reality is we're acting out a basic survival instinct that life has ground into us.

This is why Asia's mentoring moment with Vixen was so special to me. Asia was the only person on the show who had lived even half of what vixen had lived and she was able to recognize how cornered and caged vixen felt. Helping her realize that Eureka was not the people that hurt her over the years and might not deserve the treatment vixen was giving her was cathartic. My wife has helped me back from the edge like that so many times. I really feel for Vixen because she went into a pressure cooker without whatever support network she had at home and as thanks she's going to be remembered as "that crazy hypocritical bitch" by privileged people who could never understand the life she's lived.

There are probably typos all over this post, please don't pounce on them to try to score points on me. My phone loves to autocorrect poo poo really badly for some reason.

Thank you...this made a lot of sense. Living with past trauma and being hyper vigilant sucks rear end. I'm familiar with other types of trauma on a personal level and when you broke it down like this - I obviously don't understand but I can relate. I certainly didn't mean to be coming at you from a place of hate or bigotry though I can see how it came off that way. I'm not perfect either and I hadn't picked up on what you just eloquently typed.

I hope it gets better for you and everyone else working through similar issues. :glomp:

edit to make it less about me

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 29, 2018

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Thank you :). It's really all I can ask, that people with more privilege just take a step back and try to understand when someone with less privilege starts "freaking out" because there is probably something more happening than just rudeness.

You're still wrong about Eureka though. She needs to go home 4 episodes ago.

:)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Lol. I mean, Eureka basically is a something awful poster in drag queen form so I understand it's hard for some folks to stare into that abyss.

I see what you did there ;)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

See, to me this is the dumbest least effective critique of her. She's a lovely feminist who has defended guys accused of harassment because she personally likes them and constantly reframes feminist issues to be about only upper middle class white women. Nail her on that. The internet obsession with calling her a pedophile because she played a weird game of doctor as a child just really buries the lede on why she's problematic.

Edit: crossed out "dumbest" because I don't want this to read as an insult toward Propaganda Machine. Want it to be about criticism of Lena Dunham in general.

Maybe it's not the least effective "critique" for people who lived through sexual abuse at the hands of their older sibling. If she was willing to write publicly about "a weird game of doctor" then I refuse to believe more wasn't going on that she didn't write about. Come on, use some of that empathy that you demand from others.

Trauma is trauma

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pinwiz11 posted:

How can you root for Ongina or Manilla when there's Latrice?

This is about the extent that I'll look for AS4 spoilers...

Exactly.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've floated the idea of themed seasons (maybe they replace All Stars). A season of just comedy queens with comedy focused challenges, fashion queens and fashion challenges, etc. that way you can see everyone in their element and gleefully knocking out of the park each week.

This except the comedy queens all have to do fashion challenges, the fashion queens do comedy challenges and we all lose.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ah, this is like how i want the baseball all-star game to require position players to pitch and pitchers to play all the field positions. and they use the dh so a pitcher hits for the position-player-pitcher.

Naw, have the baseball, football and basketball players play in a game of hockey. Against NHL players.

All week.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just watched the reunion episode last night finally. Wife and I were taken aback how none of the queens thought Kameron should win, until I read that the reunion was filmed AFTER the finale was shot (and perhaps that explains some of the shade). I know the spoiler is out there, and I don't want to know, but did they do the thing they always do where they film 4 different endings so no one knows?

It's VH motherfucking 1. They can't pony up for a live finale? Even Ink Master can figure out how to do it - it's awkward but they still do it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My wife immediately looked up what happened with the butterflies and Asia said she was embarassed and horrified at what happened and that she definitely deserved to go home because of that. She said it worked at home but like has been said here, the temp was wrong for the butterflies. They weren't dead (well, the ones that got stepped on obviously) but just didn't warm up enough to fly.

So yeah, she lost that lip synch but she won the loving season. Tired of it coming down to a lip synch when the whole competition is so much more.

On top of all that I lost a $20 bet because I thought Kameron won based on the reunion show and the wife thought Aquaria would win. Stupid everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

I saw Trinity Taylor last night and she was so awesome!! On top of giving an amazing show she stopped to talk about supporting your local queens, and then gave away all of her tip money to the local girls who performed before her. What a classy lady :allears:

This is really cool, thanks for sharing it - its nice to hear the good stories too and not just the lovely ones.

• Locked thread