Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Has anyone found grass-green string yet? I need it for a sidequest and dunno where to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FauxLeather posted:

Absolutely howling at the king's speech.

"I think things should be good, and everyone should be nice. I like flowers and sweets. Thank you"
"ROARING APPLAUSE AND ADORATION"

Edit: I got to chapter 5 and these skirmishes are starting to wear me down. Maybe I'll wait until I have more choice with squad units before I dive back into them because hoooo boy. I hope these sidequests aren't strictly time-gated

This really seems like a game that is absolutely lax about sidequesting. I highly doubt anything is missable in this game at all.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I find it extremely funny that you end up poaching nearly every single NPC with a name into your city. It makes it very obvious who's gonna be recruitable I guess!

Edit: So what does Influence... Do, exactly?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 25, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I gotta say, I was actually a little surprised at doing a sidequest and getting a costume reward. I'm so used to all costumes being DLC these days...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It's kind of boring but it's a huge boost to your income and you get to build the institute which gives you a bunch of time and cost reductions to building and research so rush that asap

I'm assuming it'll look more impressive once its leveled up, but it's kinda extremely expensive to do so at the point of the game I'm at. I'm also starting to wonder if you actually get enough NPCs to staff all of these stalls and such, especially considering there's apparently still at least one more expansion to the kingdom... I also hate how many people are EXPLORATION EXPERTS when they're really not that necessary in the long run. They also keep giving me all these new squads to use in skirmishes but like... They don't come at the same level as the squad I've been using all this time and I'm lazy :effort:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just going off the pattern their weapons have, I'm assuming 6th character uses hammers/axes and guns, which sounds like a fun combination. I really like the 5th characters moveset, it's so flashy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Regy Rusty posted:

The end of the Hydropolis chapter makes no sense at all lmao

OK so it made no sense to me either at the time but I think I sorta get it now? Kinda?

So, city was stuck in a... Time reset... Thing? But it only worked so long as there was the exact same number of people in the city so no one was allowed to die or be born. But apparently it wasn't a full time reset because people mention the rules changing and like, multiple days happening, so it's a weird not really a time loop? So did no one die of old age or something? But then the queen gave it up so as soon as anyone dies in the city the city will get... De-time-looped? Ok nevermind I don't get it at all. It's utterly incomprehensible. Also why did she go with snake-head-man? So many things about that chapter make no loving sense.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean I can kind of see where Roland is coming from (Dude gets saved from nuclear radiation through the magic of being isekai'd so he decides to make the best of it) but everyone else is a little bizarre.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like, if there was some downtime and some insight I might be able to buy it a bit better but he survives a nuclear warhead and is thrust into a harrypotter magic world where he has to babysit a catboy and gun down some mice (one of which turns into a centaur???) and his first thought once it's all clear is "yeah they can handle that mess themselves nobody will miss the president of the united states, my family doesn't matter gently caress it I'm throwing my lot in with you 10 year old boy let's make you a king of the entire planet that I've never seen before."

It's insanely stupid and I did a double take at how fast it was. Then it just got dumber and dumber and I checked out.

I think it's either laziness or trying to play up Roland as ludicrously genre-savvy. The true secret of the president of the not-USA is that he's a huge weeb so when he found himself in an alternate world with cat and mouse people as a younger version of himself he just went "Score, time to live out my anime dreams."

Jokes aside, I do think he probably realized nearly immediately that he couldn't exactly just go home, no one knows how he got there and crying about it won't help. So might as well just help this random catboy become king of the world. Maybe that's even him being extra genre savvy. "You know, in these kinds of stories the summoned hero has to do some sort of important task and I did get teleported literally into this kid's bedroom, so that's PROBABLY it."

That's my headcanon anyways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Boy, Chapter 7 might as well be titled: Infinite Sidequest Time

Not that I mind. The main story is just something I do in-between making my kingdom better and cooler. It's kinda great how every time you feel like you're making huge amounts of money you unlock a new tier of stuff to upgrade that costs craploads to keep you humble. I'm gonna be sad when I max out this whole thing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly I think there's more cosmetic costume changes for free than the vast majority of JRPGs, so it feels fine to me on that front (the problem is some of the very few you get are ugly as gently caress, what the hell is up with that lovely green coat for Roland christ).

By the way, does anyone know what/where spooky purple aura monster number 2 is? I assume it must be related to some sidequest I missed or something.

Edit: Nevermind, found it while doing an entirely unrelated sidequest. It also revealed where sidequest 27 was this whole time.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 26, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man some of the sidequests in this game are pretty dang well hidden. One I just did required me to:

a) Have found an out-of-the-way cave
b) Have researched an optional spell that, as far as I can tell, serves only for this quest
c) Done a fairly easy sidequest in said cave
d) Left the cave, turned around, walked back in to get a sidequest that lets you recruit a guy
e) By the way said sidequest actually has a relatively hard boss so I hope you saved recently

I'm finding all this poo poo while trying to figure out where the hell Sundown Woods are.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Regy Rusty posted:

Can you tell me where it is, I still haven't found it.

Spineshiver Grove, a forest pretty close to Evermore.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

OK, I take it back, Chapter 9 is the real YOU WANT SIDEQUESTS? HERE HAVE SIDEQUESTS. Chapter. Christ almighty they just dump a ton of em on you.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, that Rosehip Tart quest is such a troll. You get it really early in the game (like chapter 5 or something IIRC?) but you can't actually complete it until post-game. And it sounds really simple too!

As for costumes, I think each character gets 3 + their default. One for each character is in chests scattered around the world map, one comes from random quests or purple monsters and one comes from a half-dozen post-game quests that you can do once you hit Kingdom Level 4. Evan gets one extra.

And for some reason they don't include the costumes that are ALREADY IN THE GAME. Why can't I have Roland in a suit, Level-5!?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 27, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

:smith:

Oh well. Are the optional dungeons at least fun to do, or are they all just hallways with a couple of side paths?

Every optional dungeon in this game has one of maybe 4 models (caves, forest, shrine, I think there's a second type of cave) and the dream dungeons, aka randomly generated optional dungeons, use the same set of tiles to make themselves. Honestly it makes the game feel pretty cheap overall! But there's definitely a lot in this game that feels like they ran out of budget, like the way cutscenes play out and such.

I just 100%'d the game, it was alright but not amazing overall. Kingdom building was pretty addicting, combat turned out to be fairly standard difficulty in the end, not THAT easy past the early game, the plot is kinda nonsense with a couple shining moments. There are too many pointless busywork sidequests for its own good. Overall 7/10 game for me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wendell posted:

Geez, I cannot imagine playing a game I consider to be a 6/10 to 100% completion.

Also, those criticizing this game for feeling cheap clearly haven’t played any other recent JRPGs, such as Tales of Berseria. Which, like, good choice, actually.

To be fair this game has a pretty easy 100%.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This screw quest is the dumbest most contrived thing

What do I actually give him because none of the poo poo I have looks like a screw and I'm pretty sure I have most materials at this point.

Also just to confirm but someone said I can't complete this tart quest till post game right?

It's the bully button. It looks like the head of a screw, you see. And yeah, you only get the recipe for the rosehip tart in a post game quest.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Really Pants posted:

what's the Japanese equivalent of "FLIPPIN' NORA"

I never managed to unlock quest #68, or find anything that qualifies as smelly shoes for Morgan. What did I miss?

For the smelly shoes I just happened to have some in my inventory from somewhere, so I can't really help you. For quest 68, I think it's one of the joke weapon upgrade quests, you have to have made the frying pan hammer thing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The entire end sequence is 100% classic Dragon Quest and weird as heck.

Also literally every enemy in the game

*Slimes
*Slime Skeletons
*Fairies
*Wing Drake
*Kind of Bigger Wingdrake
*Big Ape
*Chimera Centaur thing
*Humanoid Robot
*Dragon Quest Robot w/ Morph Ball
*Your pet hamster
*A dragon
*A jellyfish w/ gun
*Those things from Tremors

You forgot about not-orcs and those dog things (assuming pet hamsters is those chinchilla things). There's also some ancient stone golems, and annoying birds who like to spam at you from range.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caesar Saladin posted:

regardless of all of those enemies, you pretty much mostly fight skeletons, slimes and chinchillas

I dunno, I feel like I fought a lot of those spiky dogs too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Really Pants posted:

I had to laugh when Chapter 8 was wrapping up and Leonhard's ghost manifested to reconcile with Mausinger, then he loving vanished without one spare word for his own son.

They shared a MANLY NOD which is worth a thousand words.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I never swapped off the NPC's that I liked and read a trophy description of "complete 50 skirmishes"

Did 50 of them randomly then found out it *actually* meant 50 UNIQUE ones so now I'm overleveled and just trying to find flags.

So what was your 'never switch off' party? I went for the spear dog girl with a damage bonus for archers to serve as sort of a front line, and three squads of archers who had archer buffing effects. I dunno if it was the most effective thing I could've done, but it was pretty funny.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For me I unlocked all the loot bonuses so I'd get more exp. Gave myself magic regen/dodge roll distance/heavy attack damage boost and literally everything else went to the top left one which I'd alter for bosses.

I don't think I ever got poisoned in the whole game and there was only one part section of the game that cast confusion on my guys which... didn't really do anything.

Top left? I only put 5 points there, it's not like you ever fight bosses with two types. I put my leftovers on top right because I was lazy and just decided to have 2 points of defense in each element.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ainsley McTree posted:

For spoils, is it better to have equipment or rare materials? I trust that gold is useless, so I shorted that at as much as I could, and I'm bad at JRPGs, so I took as much xp as I could, so I guess I'm really just curious about the mats <> gear tweaker.

Since gold is uselessly easy to acquire, you already will have a point in gear, so might as well toss the other on materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Amppelix posted:

I beat the game, it was a good game

Dunno what y'all are complaining about with feeling unfinished, really. Sure, there's some underused areas but the game felt like a very complete package to me. I know the feeling I get when it seems like a game has a hole left in it and I didn't get that at all. Not a flawless game by any means but the only time I didn't enjoy it was that time I beat my head against the stupid mushroom for 30 minutes and discovered the battle system comes apart at the seams if you push it.

Oh yeah, and now time to do all the rest of the poo poo I didn't do. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do everything in this game.

OK, but explain the Hydropolis time loop tho.

• Locked thread