Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
So you're saying he still went into the office that day

e: possibly the worst page snipe ever. How are Q and the disciples going to handle it when the Mueller investigation wraps up? I doubt Trump will be directly implicated, but a bunch of his staff will be, and obviously Podesta, the Clintons, Obama, and Soros won't even be mentioned. Most people I suspect will see Trump as guilty as hell by association and mountains of circumstantial evidence...

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well they won't believe it because its just the Deep State blathering on about "muh Russia". If you're referring to the fact that Q originally sold Mueller as being on Trump's side, well, they've already switched gears and are now focused on the IG report being the "real" investigation that will redpill the normies or whatever. If that disappoints and the Democrats win back the House then I wouldn't be surprised if Q has trouble keeping the game up. That might be the moment of real narrative collapse, to use PJ's terminology.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

So let me get this straight QAnon is a conspiracy theory regarding a secret political organization that is actually a conspiracy by another secret political organization bravo PJ u cracked the case

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Morbus posted:

So let me get this straight QAnon is a conspiracy theory regarding a secret political organization that is actually a conspiracy by another secret political organization bravo PJ u cracked the case

No, my stance is that Qanon is the product of an active Russian psyop. My hypothesis is that 1.)Q Anon posts the bread crumbs, 2.) false consensus is manufactured on the 'chans and/or communities discussing Qanon, and then 3.) bots are used to signal boost both Q Anon direct material as well as whatever alt-right figures happen to be discussing Q Anon. That's why for example someone who averages 500-6p0 hits on their youtube videos suddenly gets 400,000 hits when they do a half hour rambling diatribe about Qanon. The hits provide incentive to social media figures to keep producing q-anon material because that material reliably provides massive hits and both in subscriber numbers.

I am proposing here that Qanon is just one part of Russia's ongoing efforts to radicalize our population and spread both confusion and divisiveness within US politics. They don't need a game plan beyond that because Qanon devotees will inevitably sow the kinds of chaos that Russia is expert at exploiting.

For what it's worth I predicted the rise of Trumpism before Trump had even announced his candidacy, and all along I have maintained that Trumpism is a completely natural phenomenon that results from complex emergent behavior. This is pretty much the first time where I am asserting that something like this is not a natural phenomenon, but is instead the result of an intelligent actor directing a natural phenomenon for their own benefit.

I don't think it's exactly an outrageous idea either. I pointed to two examples of actors operating this exact same scam (what I call the "Nostradamus Hustle") for direct financial benefit, why is it so outlandish that Russia might have figured out how to do the exact same thing for political gain instead of financial gain?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 29, 2018

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Y’all are thinking too hard about this. The answer is right there in his name. It’s Q. He got sick of loving with Picard and decided he was going to screw with the 21st century for a while, see if the Romulans notice, that sort of thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

e: wrong thread

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Clearly this is the answer.. :supaburn:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For an alleged high-level covert operative, Q spends a buttload of time hand-holding worried suburbanites:

"Sleep Well Patriot"..? I mean, isn't lowtax having surgery this week, with GA General Anaesthetic... :supaburn:

:ughh:
(I have no idea when lowtax's surgery is, or whether it's general anaesthetic or local... and of course I'm freaking kidding... probably has as much validity as anything else these mung-beans post though...)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
prester jane have you considered applying occam's razor both to the subject of your postings and your posts themselves? just because you can reason yourself into a gordion's knot doesn't correlate with plausibility

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Cable Guy posted:

"Sleep Well Patriot"..? I mean, isn't lowtax having surgery this week, with GA General Anaesthetic... :supaburn:

(I have no idea when lowtax's surgery is, or whether it's general anaesthetic or local... and of course I'm freaking kidding... probably has as much validity as anything else these mung-beans post though...)

Hey, if tricks chuds into helping cover the Tax's medical bills I'm all for it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

A big flaming stink posted:

prester jane have you considered applying occam's razor both to the subject of your postings and your posts themselves? just because you can reason yourself into a gordion's knot doesn't correlate with plausibility

I mean I could be wrong, but the majority of the last two hundred or so goons who wrote this exact post to me over the past three years have wound up eating crow...

Also Occam's razor doesn't really apply to this case, because it's a choice between an eccentric solitary genius altering our national dialogue by posting gibberish on 8chan, or this is just one more aspect of the cyberwar that Russia is conducting against the United States. I don't see how I Occam's razor can be claimed to cut cleanly in either direction in this case.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Who is Desmond Llewlyn

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I normally am one to agree with PJ, but here I kind of agree with the naysayers, sorry, Jane. I just don't think there's really enough compelling evidence for this being a Russian operation or anything. I mean, look at that first infographic in the OP. This nonsense is basically the Book of Revelations for the GOP Death Cult. The Messiah is mustering his forces and preparing for the final battle against the Great Beast and the Antichrist. The Faithful will be kept safe and rewarded in Heaven while the wicked shall be cast down into the Lake of Fire.

If Christianity could produce that sort of Apocalyptic literature organically (and obviously plenty of other religions and 'cults' have over the ages) why can't this cult? I mean, it's certainly possible that this is a particularly bizarre aspect of the Russian cyber-war against the US, but right now it just seems to me like cults gonna cult, and trolls gonna troll.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Have you tried asking Q cultists what they think about Putin?

They all mysteriously think he's sexy.

That's a 'calling card', friend.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean, it's certainly possible that this is a particularly bizarre aspect of the Russian cyber-war against the US, but right now it just seems to me like cults gonna cult, and trolls gonna troll.
Yeah that poo poo is more likely to be natural native "john birch" style crazy, not a pure Russian import. Not that they wouldn't help him.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
It being a random person does seem like the most likely option. The only thing that makes me wonder is that from what we already know it seems pretty likely that russia is loving with /pol/ somehow and this is similar to what they've been doing on other social media sites.

Still though, this is not something that requires anything more than a bored troll/desperate Trump fan and those guys are everywhere

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that the distinction is somewhat immaterial when prophetic gibberish written by anyone would have the same effect.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I normally am one to agree with PJ, but here I kind of agree with the naysayers, sorry, Jane. I just don't think there's really enough compelling evidence for this being a Russian operation or anything. I mean, look at that first infographic in the OP. This nonsense is basically the Book of Revelations for the GOP Death Cult. The Messiah is mustering his forces and preparing for the final battle against the Great Beast and the Antichrist. The Faithful will be kept safe and rewarded in Heaven while the wicked shall be cast down into the Lake of Fire.

If Christianity could produce that sort of Apocalyptic literature organically (and obviously plenty of other religions and 'cults' have over the ages) why can't this cult? I mean, it's certainly possible that this is a particularly bizarre aspect of the Russian cyber-war against the US, but right now it just seems to me like cults gonna cult, and trolls gonna troll.

It's not the fact that the Narrativists following Q Anon have recreated the Grand Narrative that makes me think this is a Russian psyop. A huge theme of my work is that various groups can independently recreate apocalyptic ideas with an identical underlying structure. It's the coordination between q and ions narratives and Russian propaganda narratives, as well as the fact that Russia is clearly using their resources to augment Q Anon's message and spread it as far as they can that leads me to conclude that this is a Russian psyop. It's the coordination that leads me to conclude that this is an actor with an agenda exploiting/directing naturally-occurring craziness. The underlying apocalyptic structure would ultimately be identical whether Q Anon was the result of Russia or not.

Contrast this with pizzagate which I think we all agree was a fully naturally occurring bit of Internet craziness. Q Anon in my view is just pizzagate, except this time with an Oracle figure that the Russians control. The point is to give people away to psychologically inhabit their apocalyptic delusions, because doing so will inevitably cause chaos within the United States. You don't need any more of a real plan beyond that if you are Russia in this situation. They would be destabilizing a political rival on the cheap using complex psychological warfare techniques.

And again there are clearly individuals who have enough of an underlined understanding of how this all works to run their own private versions of this for profit. That is exactly what the people behind the Bible Code and the Web Bot do, and those are just small operations run by talented Psychopaths you happen to have the right psychological toolkit to pull this kind of scam off.

For example there is an Infamous conspiracy form called godlikeproductions. On godlikeproductions all discussion of the Web Bot or anything connected with it is an autoban, because the Web Bot has repeatedly convinced godlikeproductions that the literal end of the world was about to occur. It became such a distraction that the owners of godlikeproductions ultimately had to create an auto pan in order to deal with it, because it was regularly disrupting the board every time the Web Bot managed to convince another group of suckers that "TEOTWAKI" (the end of the world as we know it) was just around the corner.

Similarly the Bible Code basically just keeps constantly predicting apocalypses that never pan out, but despite that the scam keeps right on a trucking.

All I'm proposing is that Russia figured out how to do this for political gain instead of financial gain, and that they Incorporated this strategy into their products cyber war against the US.

Check out this Telegraph article about the web Bot from 2009:

London Telegraph posted:

Conspiracy theorists on the web have claimed that the bots accurately predicted the September 11 attacks and the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, and that they say a cataclysm of some sort will devastate the planet on 21 December, 2012.

The software, similar to the “spiders” that search engines use to index web pages, were originally developed in the 1990s to predict stock market movements.

The bots crawl through relevant web pages, noting keywords and examining the text around them. The theory is that this gives an insight into the “wisdom of crowds”, as the thoughts of thousands of people are aggregated.

However, the technology was later appropriated for another, more controversial – some say nonsensical – use: predicting the future.

Its study of “web chatter” is said to give advance warnings of terrorist attacks, and proponents claim that it successfully did so ahead of 11 September 2001. George Ure, one of two men behind the project, says that his system predicted a “world-changing event” in the 60 to 90 days after June 2001.

Despite the vagueness of this prediction, many believed it to be genuine. Now its makers claim that the technology can predict natural disasters, and that it foresaw the earthquake that triggered the 2004 tsunami, as well as Hurricane Katrina and the devastation that followed.

Its latest and most sweeping prediction is that 21 December 2012 signals the end of the world, possibly through a “polar shift” – when the polarity of the Earth’s magnetic field is reversed. Believers claim that as well as the bots, the 2012 apocalypse is predicted by the ancient Mayan calendar, the Book of Revelations, and the Chinese text I Ching.

Sceptics have pointed out several major flaws in the theory. First, the internet might plausibly reveal group knowledge about the stock market or, conceivably, terror attacks, as these are human-caused events. But, say critics, it would be no more capable of predicting a natural disaster than would a Google search.

Second, the predictions are so vague as to be meaningless, allowing believers to fit facts to predictions after the event: a blogger at dailycommonsense.com compares them to Nostradamus’s quatrains. They give the September 11 prediction as a case in point.

I would argue that article makes it pretty clear that the people behind the Web Bot are exploiting the exact same psychological phenomena as whoever is behind Q Anon. Also worth noting is that the Web Bot guys routinely scrub their all predictions and make it impossible to track them down for yourself, because they are constantly tuning their narrative towards whichever target audience they perceive as being the most likely to give them a financial gain. Which is why current Web Bot predictions look like this: ( he is telling people to buy Bitcoin in order to prayer prayer for the coming apocalypse because bitcoiners are like the ideal target audience for someone running a Nostradamus Hustle for financial gain)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tr1cATWDHk

All I'm proposing is that this particular Nostradamus Hustle is being conducted by an actor with a political agenda instead of a financial one. The underlying psychological mechanisms and structure of the apocalyptic ideology that emerges will always be virtually identical whether the person conducting a Nostradamus hustle is doing this for financial gain or otherwise. The underlying psychology will be the same either way.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 29, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

This thread managed to make me sad Umberto Eco is loving dead and doesn't write in the Italian press anymore, he would probably have interesting things to say about the current political climate in the US.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gum posted:

Still though, this is not something that requires anything more than a bored troll/desperate Trump fan and those guys are everywhere

I very strongly disagree with this. It takes an extremely rare psychological toolkit to be able to pull this off, which is why successful Nostradamus Hustles that last for any appreciable period of time (or accrue a meaningful amount of supporters) are very rare relative to the number of pathological individuals who would happily run one for their own financial benefit if given the opportunity. It really isn't something that any sufficiently motivated individual can pull off.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I don't get how it's more believable that Q is a solitary nutter conning millions for absolutely no gain whatsoever, than it is that Q is an extention of the ongoing Russian misinformation psyop that every intelligence agency in the world agrees is happening.

I feel like Occams Razor definitely cuts in favor of Russia here.

:shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rape Stink posted:

I don't get how it's more believable that Q is a solitary nutter conning millions for absolutely no gain whatsoever,

I mean, people do things for attention on the internet all the time. Also I don't think they're directly conning millions, they're making waves with a particular group who then tell their friends, this isn't one person enthralling millions of people it's someone getting a group of nutters riled up who then talk to their slightly less nuts friends about their weird conspiracy theories.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Cable Guy posted:

Qqqq Qqqqqqq,

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
The ex-wife of Alex Jones is tweeting out some things that seem relevant to this discussion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexJone...agenumber%3D182

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Prester Jane posted:

The ex-wife of Alex Jones is tweeting out some things that seem relevant to this discussion:

Is there any way to confirm this account's identity?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gum posted:

Is there any way to confirm this account's identity?

Not so far as yet: https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979203491016183808?s=20

Should be obvious if its really her or not within a week or so I imagine. If it wasn't her I would expect the harassment that the real Kelly Jones will receive from the chuds would force a quick public correction from her/her legal counsel.

FWIW what she is describing in those tweets are bog-standard tactics for a clinical narcissist. (During the divorce trial it came out that Alex has a formal diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.) If its a fake it is a well thought out one imo.

Edit, more interesting tweets from that account:
https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979176509721206784?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979178801308545024?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979318946863214592?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979199067510231040?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979144030377398272?s=20

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 29, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

I very strongly disagree with this. It takes an extremely rare psychological toolkit to be able to pull this off, which is why successful Nostradamus Hustles that last for any appreciable period of time (or accrue a meaningful amount of supporters) are very rare relative to the number of pathological individuals who would happily run one for their own financial benefit if given the opportunity. It really isn't something that any sufficiently motivated individual can pull off.

as someone who is shamefully familiar with 4chan posting styles: :wrong:

tripcodes have been fakeposting sagas that strain credulity on that site for over a decade. And people loving gobble it up out of boredom or wanting to believe it's true.

it is actually, extremely, easy to get people to believe everything they read on the internet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What might not work on the general population with its bias towards the consensus view of reality that most of us are probably at least passingly familiar with, may be significantly more likely to work on a place as detached from reality and full of Extremely Online people as the chans.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ueJhI2_Ac

looks like the account's genuine

her website (that's linked from the youtube account and links to the twitter account):

https://alexjonesx.com

Gum fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 29, 2018

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Prester Jane posted:

It's a visa, not a passport. All it says is "this person may enter Russia."

Almost any American can get a multiple-entry Russian visa, good for three years, for a few hundred bucks. There's a lot more paperwork than friendlier countries that do free visa-on-arrival, but Russia isn't going to turn down your tourism or business dollars if you really want to put them into the Russian economy.

The lack of sponsorship info is a bit strange, but more than likely it's just so he can go on RT or one of the even crazier state outlets and spout off for a bit. So, sure, he's a useful idiot who serves the Russian government's purposes - but it's an ordinary travel document, not a passport or an FSB ID card.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

tripcodes have been fakeposting sagas that strain credulity on that site for over a decade. And people loving gobble it up out of boredom or wanting to believe it's true.

it is actually, extremely, easy to get people to believe everything they read on the internet

Fakeposted saga's are a different beast from a Nostradamus Hustle though. There isn't a bunch of elaborate decoding of gibberish involved in a regular fakeposting saga.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Space Gopher posted:

It's a visa, not a passport. All it says is "this person may enter Russia."

Almost any American can get a multiple-entry Russian visa, good for three years, for a few hundred bucks. There's a lot more paperwork than friendlier countries that do free visa-on-arrival, but Russia isn't going to turn down your tourism or business dollars if you really want to put them into the Russian economy.

The lack of sponsorship info is a bit strange, but more than likely it's just so he can go on RT or one of the even crazier state outlets and spout off for a bit. So, sure, he's a useful idiot who serves the Russian government's purposes - but it's an ordinary travel document, not a passport or an FSB ID card.

i think the implication is that she knows what he was up to and it wasnt good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

Fakeposted saga's are a different beast from a Nostradamus Hustle though. There isn't a bunch of elaborate decoding of gibberish involved in a regular fakeposting saga.

But the point of decoding gibberish is that what you see in it is a reflection of yourself, all the gibberish has to have is a sufficient aura of mystique to attract the initial interest and an audience of suitably inclined viewers, after that it becomes self sustaining, as with bibliomancy and numerology.

It's like selling psychic bollocks to people who paid to attend a psychic reading event or glossolalia to a church, chans kind of self select the already somewhat detached from reality and right aligned politically.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 29, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Who is Desmond Llewlyn

He was the original Q, the guy who gives James Bond his gadgets, until he died and John Cleese took over.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I can buy what PJ is saying because the common counter argument that anyone could write gibberish reminds me of the old tales that anyone can be a video game writer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

He was the original Q, the guy who gives James Bond his gadgets, until he died and John Cleese took over.

Or rather, until he faked his death in a car accident and went underground :tinfoil:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I mean, hell, this isn't even like half as impressive as John Titor.

But, uh, y'all feel free to keep making up insane conspiracy theories about the people we're laughing at for believing insane conspiracy theories, I guess.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
What a totally insane and completely irrational conspiracy I've been proposing here...oh wait:

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsomm...r%3D523%23pti13

So the FBI is accusing an Infowars reporter of being s Russian agent and is compelling him to testify in front of a grand jury, and Q Anon is by pure happenstance reacting to this very news! What a bizarre twist.

Look guys, the kinds of people who can pull off this kind of manipulation are actually pretty goddamn rare (the comparison of everyone thinking they can be a video game writer is very appropriate here), and they operate in very specific ways. If you know what you're looking for it is0 pretty easy to spot when they are colluding with each other instead of operating independently.

Basically all of the posters who have disagreed with me have done so in good faith and some have put forth some pretty good arguments, but collectively you are missing the forest for the trees. You have been focused on how Q Anon could have come about naturally instead of noting the clear collusion between the narratives being put out between Q Anon, Alex Jones, the Russian botnet, and Russian propaganda outlets. It's the uniformity of the narratives they are all pushing that is a dead giveaway.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 30, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad this thread went from let's laugh at people who believe the insane bullshit to actually,

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/979193624226385926?s=20

edit: I found the Periscope broadcast of Alex Jones and Jeremy Corsi talking about this. Skip to about 2 minutes in for video of a congressional hearing of some sort wherein Infowars is specifically described as an echo chamber for Russian propaganda. Then Alex starts talking, but within the first 30 seconds of talking he straight-up denies that he's ever been to Russia. (Considering that his wife earlier posted a picture of Alex's Russian travel visa, I find that claim to be a little suspect.)

https://twitter.com/AlexJones_Ex/status/979107598552240128?s=20

Alex Jones then talks about how major media outfits are calling him up and inquiring about his connections to Russia, whether or not the Russian botnet is being used to spread his websites material, etc etc

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1rmGPmbvlQDJN

I'm going to go ahead and listen to at least some of this and I'll note any interesting tidbits I come across in later edits to this post.

If you are a fan of high-quality schadenfreude that I highly recommend you zip to 7:35 to see a hilariously insecure meltdown that literally starts out with the phrase "If I'm not America nothin is!!!!" I have probably watched on the order of about 1500 hours worth of Alex Jones over the years and I've never once seen him looking this scared. He is on the verge of shiting his pants. This meltdown is a thing of beauty.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
It seems plausible to me that Q-Anon started as a lone troll or true believer and then the Russians took over the persona after they saw how useful it was.