Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triwolf
May 9, 2008
I'm following this thread with great interest because my mother-in-law is deeply into this stuff. She has always been a conspiracy theorist obsessed with new world order/weather control/anti-vaxxer nonsense, with many of her conspiracies going back to the 60s and 70s. Hers are mixed with a peculiar kind of end-times Sedivacantist Catholicism and filtered through the worldview of being an elderly Korean lady.

For years I've been listening to her talk about how the globalists are going to crash the world economy any moment now and how Obama is setting up concentration camps (with gillotines!) to carry out mass depopulation. The "why" has always been vague to me. The globalists are doing this because they are greedy and want the whole world to themselves and also just because they are Evil and controlled by Satan. China is usually involved (they do the weather control, if course).

Russia used to be part of the globalist conspiracy but it's been interesting to watch that change over the past year or so. She is a big believer in Fatima and has been waiting for the Consecration of Russia for literally her whole life, but is slowly coming around to the idea that Putin is on the side of goodness. Because of the religious bent she brings to the story she believes that Putin is secretly working to reconcile the Russian Orthodox Church with the Catholic Church to form one extra holy church. The globalists are working hard to thwart it though!

My MIL is not a 4chan reader or even a Freeper so she gets her Qanon news filtered through random conspiracy blogs. I realized a few visits ago that I was starting to see the Qanon flavor come out in the printouts from those blogs she gives us every time we come over. Next time I visit I will bring the thread some of those materials, they are really something.

Idahoant posted:

I guess it's the whole 'lock her up' phenomena continuing on - we can all see quite clearly that she has not been locked up and is not getting locked up, so why not construct an elaborate fantasy where the locking up is imminent...less bruising to the ego than to admit that Trump is an idiot who can't accomplish poo poo and lied his way to the presidency.

The fantasy focus on punishing the evil Hilary is a huge part of this. Hilary is the personification of all of the new world order's wickedness to them. It's a bit disturbing to hear this tiny elderly Korean lady, surrounded by saint statues and crucifixes, work herself into an angry froth about Hilary's many crimes including child murder and cannibalism. Like how does Hilary even have time to get to all of this? (Spoiler alert: she is a literal witch of course!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triwolf
May 9, 2008

Polygynous posted:

I kind of feel bad about but I can't stop laughing at this detail.

Well, half laughing, half mind boggling at the idea of visiting one of my aunts and having her shove like infowars printouts at us.

This is exactly what happens! She usually saves it for breakfast on our last day visiting. We know what's coming because she goes into her office and comes back with a stack of papers and a very serious expression, saying "The news is very bad lately! Very scary!"

It's been happening less lately because my wife has lost her patience for this nonsense and has started arguing about it hardcore with her when she brings those papers out. I'm a bit sad because I like hearing about the latest conspiracies although it is a bit exhausting.