Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mercury_Storm posted:

The clones thing is probably from Deep Space Nine :lol:

Or a callback to that old Nazi trope about being able to detect Jews by whether their earlobes are attached or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cat botherer posted:

What is it with the colloidal silver? That’s been a thing with these types for a good 40 years now.

It also was about 40 years ago that The Smurfs debuted on American network television coincidence?!?

Yes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The past few months almost everyone I know in NW Vermont got one of those in the mail.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive read once that Polynesian people might have arrived at south america too before Colombo, but that was an actual scientific theory, iirc

The Polynesian contact theory is a legit thing, but it's pretty much at the level of "entirely plausible hypothetical for which we currently have no hard evidence." They had the capacity and a history of exploratory voyages westward whenever population pressures on whatever islands they occupied got too much, and were entirely capable of reaching the western coast of South American from Hawaii, but to date I don't know of anyone finding any solid evidence they actually did it. There's some soft cultural similarities here and there that you can see if you want to between them and some subsets of indigenous South Americans, but nothing that couldn't also just be coincidental simultaneous developments by both parties.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

There's genetic evidence, that in combination with some of the other less definite things means it's almost certainly a thing that happened.

Do you have any links to genetic studies on this? Last time I went looking I couldn't find anything that wasn't either speculative or just unreliable.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2487-2

I don't agree with some of their claims, but what they present looks solid enough to me to say that there was enough intermingling for it to show up genetically. But if you are a geneticist and there is something fundamental wrong with what they did lemme know. I don't really handle the genetic side of archaeology.

Also as far as I know there hasn't been a rebuttal paper on it.

Sadly no, I'm a historian so I can't speak to the substance; when I teach world history I usually reference the Polynesian contact hypothesis as one of the actual/probably pre-Colobian contacts of the outside world with the Americas, and to-date I've always framed it as I posted above. Presuming this study stands, I'll need to amend that bit of the class.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

When someone links him the protocols of the elders of Zion us political discourse is going to get wild.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I do not like how right you are.

Me neither :(

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

He's just so uniquely bad at dogwhistling, it's kind of astonishing. Like you can tell he really likes projecting the image of the Cool Mysterious Centrist who just Tells It Like It Is but then tweets "Hmm. Interesting!" over a picture of The Turner Diaries. Like he's really blowing the cryptofascist exam and will have to retake the class next semester.

He's desperately trying to play the "just asking questions" mask for bad-faith contrarians, not knowing/understanding that was well stale at least twenty years ago. It's like his brain is permanently locked into late 90's mode, and can't comprehend that the internet has (in places, sorta) grown and moved on.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Maybe we should have made fun of his cybertruck even more you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Vahakyla posted:

I wonder if Qanons feel stupid now. The wave’s gone and nothing happened.

Doomsday cults generally take more than one failed prophecy before most of them hit the bricks. Usually it takes several, and even then a core of hard believers often remains.