Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i have no idea what to think about this roughly two inch by two inch sticker seen in a local bar bathroom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

For real, I read PJ's OP what feels like years ago and the terms still made sense when brought up here. It's only making GBS threads up the thread because some people seem to have an interest in failing to understand them and PJ has an interest in nver letting that go without comment.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

You are an evangelical? Ew

Contradiction in terms! They don't appear to be encouraging anyone else to join them.

But there's a temptation... so maybe

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why are Zaphod and the Sentionaut in there?

Start researching.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

No they were, the internet just didn’t make them quite as relevant in your life before. I don’t know how to baby step you through the idea of the availability heuristic without coming across as an even bigger dick than I am right now. But all the poo poo you claim is unique about Q has happened over and over again, thats why every post since yours has been people dunking on you.

It's different now. Hell is other people and connection to other people is just the default now

Age Of Consent
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
867-5309
Do the the math

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Contraction Cycles are just a natural result of the inherent contradictions of Capital which is why they only exist on the right.

I wouldn't agree with "only". Ideological purity tests are for everyone!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

We already know that a common trait to Qanon is face blindness

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Spins posted:

How tiresome.
To say their features look very different is ridiculous. And lol at the insinuation you need face blindness to think so. :haw:
But you do you.

I mean yeah there are obviously similarities but they're also obviously not the same person

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

What is the utility of being evaluated/diagnosed? I definitely have moderate faceblindness* and I'm not sure what the knowledge can do for me.

*I won't reliably recognize people unless I've known them at least a month, and can still be thrown off bu a change of clothing + different angle.

Knowing for certain seems like it would have utility.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's also an i8, a hybrid

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

ShuckyDucky posted:

I like how the loving aryan couple gazes the bright MAGA future which entails a stealth bomber flying over the heartland.

edited to add: Jack Hammerstone, the author, was kind enough to share his objectives and aims and writing this new take on the great American novel. Forgive him if he doesn't show his face, he's paranoid of attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXNkZ98G9I
there are a couple of reviews at the end

"This smart novel sets a high bar for conservative storytelling in the MAGA era, indeed, it's a long-over-due [sic], refreshing break from doomsday non-fiction and incessant political chatter."
-Books Among Friends

underlined and bolded emphasis mine

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

why "BabyQ" when "q" was right there?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Qanon Season 1: The elite murder children and extract adrenochrome from their brains (somehow) in satanic orgies

Qanon Season 5: The elite have scientific and ordered industrial scale adrenochrome processing sites around the globe

I hate that loving website but pretty sure TVTropes had some name specifically for that kind of bizarre escalation and retconning

It's just "serial escalation" or "sequel escalation" depending on which word seems to be a better fit.

"Sequel escalation" does have a "Real Life" section for World War II.

"Plot Leveling" (as in the plot "levels up" with a further installment) would fit here too with the introduction of BBQ but that's already too much time on TVTropes for the day for me.

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 26, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

That’s what happens when David Icke’s tears fall on the grave of Art Bell.

Speaking of Icke he recently did an interview on the modern pandemic and apparently he's co-opted "1%ers" as the name for the shapeshifting reptilian-human hybrid cult that's running the world.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's... not at all what that (hypothetical) document was.

you can't know that so therefore you're wrong, obviously

q doc prime woop woop

wow this thing is super boring tho i need John Q Public to spice it up

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

that's just a sky shaka

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

Skimming that OP's post history is, uh, quite the ride.

gently caress the history it's a hell of a ride for the one bit

/e i'm disappointed they couldn't figure out an H to fit in that last part

how do you forget "hubris"?

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 14, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

2300bux, holy poo poo.

lol and here i thought i overspent on this fancy video card that i use every day

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

maybe calm down about the posting of a reasonably informative long-form article

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Also, calling out Cambridge Analytica for using "big data" to target the content is ridiculous as we've learned that Cambridge Analytica was mostly bullshitting about what they were capable of doing. While they got a lot of data it was almost entirely basic demographic data that wouldn't let them do targeting any more sophisticated than your average advertise-by-mail campaign.
weren't they targeting via facebook's demographic data? doesn't need to be particularly sophisticated on Cambridge Analytica's part when the work is already done for them

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

It is. They actually mean about 10,000 years. It coincides with the invention of writing and everything before that is considered prehistoric! :eng101:

With the clarification "recorded history" you could split the difference but it'd still probably be closer to 5,000 years ago than 10,000 years ago.

Unless the art on the structures of Gobekli Tepe counts as recorded history in which case we're looking at more like 12,000 years ago.

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 25, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There are yoga... "sects"? regarding "kundalini" which can easily be interpreted as "awakening the inner serpent" which is obviously suspicious from certain perspectives.

really though it's probably just about physical exertion and stretching leading to good intestinal behavior with a metaphysical overlay lol

some practitioners are even up front about it

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 28, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Christianity in 2020 is a cudgel to be used politically and anyone proclaiming otherwise is useful.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

This all came from the Chinese officers in Vancouver?

When do you think if ever their brain registers "hang on, I'm always afraid of non-white people: why is that?

Or is it never?

yeah, yeah, it's reddit, just watch the video with sound and ignore the comments until you've watched the whole thing. Reccomend sound on.

a bit of levity for this, the 293rd day of March 2020

currently limited to an OS i'm not super familiar with or i'd have figured out how to just put the video inline

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 19, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

UGh I can never work out how to get to Picadilly Circus
Amateur hour, you've got to get to Mornington Crescent

re: Tesla i'm a fan of the idea that the Tunguska Event was a Tesla "oops"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did Tesla's wireless power transmission system even exist?
Did Leonardo's helicopter even exist?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

But then I listened to a guy screaming at the top of his lungs mad that people wouldn't torture a miniature Hitler in a magic floating castle and I feel better.
Wish they'd gotten into an intellectual property version of the Ship of Theseus paradox. But it's a perfect copy besides being the size of a dinghy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

The private deplatforming efforts are legal and really effective, you drive it underground and by doing so you greatly reduce the number of new people that get radicalized.
Sure, but where is/was the tipping point to metastasis? Because the current deplatforming seems like too little, too late. They already scattered like rats a week or three months ago or whatever (what is time now?) when facebook officially "deplatformed" the Q groups and they scurried to their insular thinly-veiled subclusters.

I don't have to agree with PJ to acknowledge that "compaction cycle" is a useful term. And there was just a very public catalyst for a compaction cycle.

poo poo's going to continue getting weird over the next eight days, and it's anyone's guess as to where the weirdness goes after.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

they intended to dodge taxes and own people, op, hth

woah woah woah woah woah

they intended to dodge taxes and own property

don't you dare bring up the fact most of them considered certain people to be property, that's scandalous

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm really having trouble feeling any sympathy for the people who get sucked into this nonsense. I mean, it's just so loving stupid. Like, absolutely brain dead dumb. Like I want to grift these people because they seem to have no goddamn common sense, but I just cant bring myself to do it because it'd be like scamming a child. Like these beliefs are the dumbest playground rumor nonsense you'd hear in like 4th grade. This is like "if you swallow a watermelon seed a watermelon will grow in your stomach" level bullshit is bringing the world to its knees and killing people. gently caress.
I thought the same to myself like 20 years ago about the way country music was going and look at me now not being fuckin' rich

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

It was an impressive prediction though. He only died because the adrenochrome got held up in the Suez Canal during a military operation by patriots, which we knew would happen because the ships name, Ever Given, was a reference to Hilary Clinton's Secret Service code name.

*Evergreen, which is also the name of the shipping company

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I mean

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-v...-twitter-study/

May 2019 posted:

Russian Twitter trolls have attempted to fuel the anti-vaccination debate in the U.S., posting about the issue far more than the average Twitter user last year, a study out of George Washington University has found. The "sophisticated" bots shared opinions from both sides of the anti-vaxxer debate, which took the U.S. by storm and prompted tech companies to crack down on the spread of misinformation surrounding vaccinations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

I really wish they wouldn't ... you know, give these people oxygen. Just be like gently caress you, you said covid is fake, what you're experiencing is clearly fake, quit being a bitch. Go be with Jesus if you think that's so great.
Doctors spell it "Hippocratic", it's a subtle difference

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Saving a hatemonger who incites violence is absolutely not "doing no harm"
I don't disagree, but in context it's "do no harm to the patient"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

packetmantis posted:

The Hippocratic Oath is not legally binding and it's not even taken in many schools.
Yeah but that was out of scope for a "hippocratic" vs "hypocritical" wordplay

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Can we talk about how weird the Proud Boys being against masturbation is really loving weird? The closes I get to understanding it is listening to this NPR article about them that seemed to link them to pick up artists. Anyone know anything about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Given his, well, given his entire life he was definitely going to die in a prison somewhere.
given his tweets he probly expected to get eaten by a whale eventually

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

yeah uh more than half a million dead because strong man couldn't appear weak by telling his idiot followers to do the barest minimum

could have financed his 2020 run off of MAGA masks lmao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"fomented"
hth

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

nah it's stolen from "aliens are gonna sterilize us for depopulation purposes" but tbf i don't think the 80s show V originated the concept

the (first?) SG-1 episode about the Aschen definitely didn't originate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

indiscriminately posted:

Not perfect, therefore not useful at all. Is there even a name for this kind of error in reasoning? Seems too trivial to even have a name.
Subset of or related to false dichotomy, all or nothing, and black or white

^nirvana fallacy seems like a good fit as well