Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard was awesome even with all its problems. I’m excited for this game because even if we get just what that game was, it will be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beefeater posted:

One vial of Brad McQuaid's blood will be sent to those who donate $100. If you donate $500 he'll jerk off into a sock for you and sign it.

I'm only interested if the sock grows mushrooms. :colbert:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was actually avoiding posting much in this thread because I was optimistic but after seeing the same dungeon AGAIN consider me off the hype train. Brad, you always break my little EQ heart. :(

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No to both.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

Someone had to make those, we didn't have poo poo in 1999.

IMO make poo poo as hard as possible.

When I was in high school my best friend printed out every single map from EQ Maps from original through Velious and had them organized and notated in a large 3-ring binder.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m unashamedly excited for this game. Yes it’s McQuaid and lol their kickstarter failed and it’s going to be in development forever and may never see the light of day.

That being said I hope this video game about wizards comes out because I will play it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chomposaur posted:

It did have a few gaffes like the /pizza command and that weird facial tracking thing.

Holy poo poo I forgot about the face tracking. Is that still in? I’m playing on the new Kaladim server and I actually have a webcam for once since I had to do a video interview.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It might have had to do with the insane queues to log in at launch. Blizzard had to make new servers daily for almost a week and ask people to use them so the queues would die down.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you type /pizza in the game now it just opens a browser window with a Google Image search for pizza.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chomposaur posted:

Didn't /pizza just open up an in-game browser tab to the Pizza Hut website anyway?

I know this was back in the dark ages of the mid-2000s but I remember being pretty unimpressed, even as the no-lifer fat bastard EQ2-playing target audience.

I think you’re right. But alt-tabbing didn’t work as well back then as it does now. It used to be a pain to tab in and out if I recall.

They should modernize with a /DoorDash command.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

here is an important hype video made by community members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBv34yHx58c

They aren't serious right? This is some sort of Tim and Eric humor video? :stare:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Twitch stream going on. So far its one guy in a plaid shirt who is at least good at talking, and then another dude in a grey shirt that sounds/acts like he's somebody's cousin that wandered onto the set by mistake.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean hey, with Aradune's dirt nap, there's a .001% chance someone with common sense will take over. Ah who am I kidding. When Nagafen's Lair freezes over.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With Daybreak nostalgia mining I wouldn't put that too far off of a chance.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

When you die, your loot stays and monsters can loot your corpse, forcing you to kill them and get the gear back. If another player kills them first they get to keep the gear.

Ngl that sounds pretty rad. Which means it won’t end up in Pantheon.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'll stick to inhaling my own farts, tyvm.

Project Fartinhale

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the plan still just to work on Project Fart-hell until an investor picks it up and funds a full team? I just can’t see that happening. They would have been better off trying to do a full MMO by themselves. At this point they could have finished off maybe 1 continent.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Themoor posted:

Still hoping it turns into something there is no other mmos coming.

Idk if you just aren’t counting these because maybe you think they look bad, but Ashes of Creation is an upcoming AAA fantasy mmo with a dev team of more than 100 (many veterans of the industry as well) and Amazon’s New World just to name a couple that will actually release unlike Pantheon.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New Worlds will not be good but is not vaporware/a scam like Pantheon.

The sad part is I say this as an original Kickstarter backer.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend and I were looking at Vanguard emulators and as it turns out, they have even less a population than live did which means zero instead of 5.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahah that happened with Vanguard too? That's basic poo poo how did that happen twice?

Drugs and incompetence.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought if a Kickstarter failed they didn’t get any of the money?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, they only attracted about half of their $800K target, so unless they did it again on a "flexible funding" platform that I can't find, they didn't get a dime.

I do recall that as soon as the KS failed they set up a donation page and encouraged everyone to donate the amount they submitted through Kickstarter. I know this because I’m a sucker.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Verbose posted:

The comments in this...are we all watching the same video?

Not a single critical comment on that video. :psyduck:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hobocrunch posted:

I don't think it is. I actually believe this game will release. Will it be good? I think it's extremely unlikely it captures the same essence people are expecting and it will come off more as boring rather than ingenious, but time will tell.

I genuinely believe at this point that Brad was potentially holding them back from pushing to a final release.

I don’t think they even have a single zone completed.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For a look at how the actual game looks and not this curated demo, see this video posted 2 months ago:

https://youtu.be/RGtB7F3ddBM

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They may make it to alpha before the 10 year mark. Probably not. It’s hilarious to me that we’re on 7 years and they have only a compressed demo to show investors and nothing else.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hate to see them scam more people out of money but I don’t hate to see multimillionaires get scammed

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scamtheon: Lies of the Fallen (bc Brad is dead and he was a notorious liar)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really don’t know how one can defend this game. Brad or not, I feel like the last several years were complete lies with them saying how much content was complete and being polished, only to find out not even a single zone had even been close to finished.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean best case scenario this game, which just started development apparently, will come out in 5-7 years. Don’t we think after 12-14 years of being in development that the tech will be obsolete? That gaming interest will have moved on? Who, who was excited about Pantheon when it was first announced, will still be actively excited for the games release after a decade and a half?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rift had chloromancer which remains the coolest class I’ve ever played in an MMO. Heal your group by doing as much damage as possible.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard suffered greatly in my opinion when they instituted the newbie island. I understand that they had to because of the low population but having separate and distinct racial starting areas was so good. I remember starting a half giant shaman and getting really immersed in the lore via the quests and diplomacy.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I jumped into actual EverQuest for a hot minute with a couple friends a year or so ago before I tried P1999 and EQ also did something lame like that.

Ah yes the gloomingdeep mines or w/e they’re called. I miss the days of newbie gardens being chock full of new players and old players making alts.

The newbie garden I think of most often is Misty Thicket, while I feel most nostalgic for Innothule Swamp. In 1999 as a 12 year old I was blown away by EQ and I’ve not felt the immersion I felt after making my troll Shadowknight ever again. I think that’s most people’s experience with MMOs though. We look back with rose tinted glasses and want to feel what we felt again, but we never will.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 15, 2021

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

lmao at that “to do” list

To Do:
-Make a game

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pantheon: faaaaaaarrrrtttt

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow that’s a big ol reminder that Reddit is still as toxic as ever.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sachant posted:

Gfay was popular on some servers since there was a bank right there and it wasn't too hard for evils to get faction from killing orcs in Crushbone. Plus it had a wizard teleport right there and a druid teleport one zone over in BB. But yeah EC was a better pick. Very central, close to teleport circles and banks for everyone (except Iksar I guess).

If you were an Iksar SK, monk, or Necro (so, most Iksar) you could just run to the Freeport bank and feign death while you did your banking.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For me, the Ec tunnel was a social thing where you could see everyone’s cool armor and weapons. I remember being a sub-level 20 troll SK and just blown away by how diverse and interesting everyone in the tunnel was.

Hated haggling though. Everyone was so entitled with their items and if you offered less than asking or tried to haggle it would become “stop wasting my time you noob.” Given almost everyone playing eq back in 99-01 was a teenager I guess that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sachant posted:

How long do you think before Pantheon has Halloween and Christmas costumes in their cash shop?

Never because it isn’t going to release.