Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Vanguard looked pretty good at times too. Some of the location designs and dungeon atmosphere was some of the best I've ever seen. Each islands flavor was unique and very enjoyable to run around in. I forget the name of it, but the giant port city was amazing to look at from the top of the hill overlooking it.

Then other times it looked like a lump of clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

SimonChris posted:

But that was the best part! You could go on bona fide archaeological expeditions in Vanguard, exploring massive unfinished dungeons. cities and areas, discovering clues to the epic storylines that they should have contained. To enter them, you would frequently have to seek out wise explorers, who could tell you how to die in juuust the right spot, so you could respawn on the other side of the wall or whatever.

The world needs more massive unfinished MMORPGS, for that emergent exploration gameplay experience.

There was a dungeon on the kung fu island that fits this description perfectly. I don't know the name of it, but on the outside it just looks like a ruined temple. Pretty nondescript and to be honest you don't realize it's a dungeon until you're down underground fighting. You get inside and fight undead samurai and statues that look like Mogu from WoW. It was huge. I remember my static group fighting through this dungeon all day and it just kept going and going. Then, by some crazy chance we clicked on a statue and some hidden wall opened up which unlocked an even bigger dungeon below. We camped out inside the dungeon for the night and came back the next day. It took us another 5 hours or so to crawl through this second wing and I'm pretty sure we didn't even cover half of it. It was massive. We scooped up so much loot that we were having to pick and choose what to keep and what to destroy.

The best part was, this particular dungeon was waaaaaay out of the way and nobody really went there, especially the deep parts. Everyone went to the Emperor's Tomb instead. We completely missed out on that dungeon.

Vanguard was the greatest MMO commanded by the worst people and came out way before it's time. If Pantheons world can emulate the size and scale of Vanguards they may have a shot at holding a steady niche community together.

It won't, but an old man can dream.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I really hope it does attract the attention of the "DPS race for everything" crowd. Because they all deserve each other.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

TheAgent posted:

Jesus Christ, I thought you guys were joking about being interested in this game

it's going to be loving terrible, don't give brad a dime and go play something not made by an idiot manchild who throws tantrums about how his unique class isn't unique enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CM8tTG9Yig

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Pretty decent Ogre. Not rear end scratching awesome but it passes. Trolls better be fat with asscrack loincloths however.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Ehud posted:

It’s kind of weird, Brad doesn’t feel like he’s in charge or even totally aware of the game’s design during the streams.

It feels like Chris Perkins is actually in charge at this point.

History repeats. Color me shocked. The FoH Vanguard beta thread where Brad was talking about bullshit that was completely different or not even close to what was in game while he shilled it was something to behold as well.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 1, 2018

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Node posted:

You'll never be as pathetic as me, if that means anything.

I would play MMOs with you just so you have someone to share this pain. No one man should suffer this much watching his childhood burn.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Warhammer Tier 1 PVP was the bees knees. Matches were so much fun when the tide of battle swung back and forth and teams would keep pushing back across the map and there were so many good choke points where fights would tie up and just be massive slaughterhouses. Curbstomping a team at their graveyard was meh.

The only thrill I got out of DAoC was the first ramp room in the Spindelhalla dungeon because that game was a broken buggy mess.

Despite also being a buggy mess, I have a special place for Anarchy Online. Some of their systems were way ahead of the day and still not used properly today. I loved rolling missions and being able to kinda customize it to my liking. Buffing and implants were a mini game all its own and working in to equip some crazy overpowered gear was awesome when you finished figuring out the exact order you needed to equip and buff in.

DDO is a game I regret not keeping up with. I always thought it looked fun if you had a dedicated team of bros to play it with.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I think we're all just waiting for the next "This could turn it around for Vanguard." style quote to really seal the deal and give this thread the title it deserves.

It's just a matter of time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Nagging question. Will bow graphics have bow strings. Why this bothers me in mmos that have bows with no strings, I do not know, but it does.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Is mcquaid the one who is probably spending kickstarter money on Vicodin and drizzt books?

You're getting your executive producer scammers mixed up friend.

Brad McQuaid, or Benzo Brad, or Brad McQuaalude is the pill head.

The Drizzt book guy is Curt Schilling who took the whole state of Rhode Island for a ride by promising to make an MMORPG and then pissed all the cash away, fired everyone, and skipped town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75H5SpegbI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

Givin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 30, 2018

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

real relationships in everquest consisted of hating everybody, including your guildmates. ESPECIALLY your guildmates.

I speak without hyperbole when I say that a game that straight up bugs out and kills you (where pantheon is now) is better than 2018 everquest or 1999 everquest or anything in between. I played more than enough eq to know this first hand

I still harbor dislike for some people from rival guilds in Everquest and would have no issue putting a fist through their face if we poo poo talked each other like we did back then today. Especially the guy who stole a guild bank and used it to put a down payment on a house in Tennessee after taking over control of it from me when two guilds merged.

Mainly because he thought of it before I did and I was too much of an honest sucker with morals to realize I was sitting on a mountain of platinum worth a shitload of IRL money.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

It is basically a nothing on twitch because of how loving endlessly boring it is. The MDI gets (a lot) more viewers and the MDI isn't even pvp and also sucks rear end.

Though both of them put together don't even get a quarter of the viewers a bad day at the overwatch league gets.

To further drive it home how boring it is to watch, more people will watch streamers farm old content for mounts and items to play pretty princess dressup, which is the best meta game of WoW.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Thought the VR was Virtual Reality. Nearly fainted from shock.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I only want this game to come to be because it will be a fine tomb for all the 40 plus year old spergs who can't let go of their rose colored glasses and understand there is a reason all those old MMO systems were abandoned.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
PROJECT FARTINHALE

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The EQ zones weren't that hard to memorize anyway. The hardest was probably guk live side. Even the cazic maze was easy enough.

That being said, nothing at all wrong with in game maps and if you think there is you're just a grumpy grognard who wants poo poo tedious for the sake of being so.

Givin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 12, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
A map won't take away any of that, sorry.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Is there a confirmed death penalty for Pantheon?

Playing the game if it ever comes out.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
His post should have been titled "Relapse" because this is how Vanguard began.

God I can't wait.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

"Why play in a World of Waiting" was their slogan at launch. WIsh I could find the banner for it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Chomposaur posted:

I don't think so, but as a bonus I found the video of the guy peddling it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c

It's kinda fun tech but it loses its charm after about five minutes of messing with it. I think the main reason they were developing it was that they were prototyping poo poo for EQNext.

In a long lost follow up forum post, that guy had a mental breakdown when feedback for that feature came in as "not very good". He literally went on a tirade about how players do not respect the amount of dev time that goes into features like this, despite being told players would rather see said dev time go to fixing the cornucopia of tangled broken poo poo that was wrong with core game issues, like mitigation and stats just not working at the time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
But at the dives, you don't get handed one of those red flashy "your table is ready" technology and get to feel all :smug: when you walk by all the hordes of people waiting in the foyer.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Ehud posted:

here is an important hype video made by community members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBv34yHx58c

It's nice they collected everyone who will play this video game all in one video.

Looking forward to the "We Are Broke" follow up video.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
You have 14 Days. If after that time the Plane is not properly tuned, I am deleting my characters, and cancelling all of my accounts. The rest of my guild will follow suit, as will several other guilds and people that play Everquest.

To be brief, I did not work my rear end off, jumping through your idiotic hoops with my friends and guildmates, so I could go to a zone where only groups of 18 could enjoy the content. EVEN if past these initial moronic events I can finally get my entire guild in to raid with me, gently caress YOU GUYS. Seriously, gently caress YOU.

I cannot believe this... right now I'm just so pissed off. I am sitting here in the Plane of Time, and 3/4 of my guild is just sitting around while a group of 18 is repeatedly trying to beat one of the mini ring encounters. Don't you people have ANY loving DECENCY? SMEDLEY WHY DON'T YOU STOP COUNTING YOUR MONEY AND START ISSUING ORDERS?

The tragic irony of creating the ultimate cockblock encounter in the form of the Rathe which requires 80 people to defeat and then to limit encounters in the Plane of Time to 18.

14 Days.... after that this site will change from the most popular EQ fan site on the internet to the most popular World of Warcraft fan site on the internet. I'm done playing ball with you useless fuckers... it's my turn.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
And after that it runs headlong off a cliff face never to be seen again because they nerfed the everloving piss out of charm. Then every enchanter heads back to PoF tables to solo AAs for the rest of their days, stopping only to try to peddle their KEI equivalent buff at the guildhall entrance.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I felt a genuine sense of embarrassment watching that video. Holy poo poo. And I have zero stake or interest in this game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
This is my favorite game. I've got hours of entertainment out of this poo poo show and don't even have to play it. Worth every penny I've spent on it. ($0.00)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
To ensure he actually plays whatever of the game they made, the devs made a class specifically for him. Unlike when he tried shilling Vanguard and it was obvious he never even touched the poo poo and was hype phoneposting on the FoH boards while doing coke off a ladyboys rear end in Thailand.

So many good Brad memes lost to time. Wish we still had the thread where he came here trying to hype Pantheon.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
What a treasure trove those threads are.

--Brad

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Byolante posted:

I know somebody who was invited to the infamous ice cream party in the carpark that fateful day at Sigil. I still do a rofl to this day thinking about all the staff thinking 'woo free icecream' only to be told instead of icecream you are getting unemployment paperwork.

Had a buddy who I played Everquest with who worked at Sigil. Was in IRC with him throughout development and he'd talk about how things were. The thing I'll never forget about this was him coming back from the parking lot thing and just saying how they all got shitcanned and he's taking his computer chair home because it was super comfortable and at least he'd get something out of this shitshow.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I hope it does come out simply because it will be an elephant graveyard for MMO Boomers who can't let it go and understand the reason we put up with the poo poo EQ and UO handed us was because there were no other options.

It was the people you interacted with, not the game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I wish World of Warcraft was really Warhammer Online every day except they had three factions instead of two.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
It's almost like "The Vision™" was bad game design from the start. Who could have guessed?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
This thread is the only thing on the internet that even remembers this game. It was probably in a better state when Brad had the two super christians writing fan fiction about it in his garage while forum warrioring.

Every CohCarnage stream of it, I just wonder why continue at this point.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Pantheon: The Thread To Talk About Ultima Online, EverQuest and Vanguard

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Node posted:

I'll make the wiki

I have strong christian values and a big garage. I'll handle forums and modding.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm surprised they haven't offered NFT packages and forced backers to renew their pledges yet.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
This could really turn it around for Vanguard.™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
If I were a billionaire, I'd refund everyone who donated to this scam so they could erase the sin and get into heaven when they die to kick Brad in the balls.