Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if you gave me 5 mil i'd make a mockup website for eq 1.5 and then spend the rest of the money on benzos and liquor, as is tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Did they ever introduce catch-up mechanics to Shards of Dalaya? Last time I tried to play there I would have had to grind for 8 years nonstop to get invited to anything

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I hope Feb 18 is when they unveil an EQ private server with Pantheon names for stuff

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

there was probably more finished content for eqnext than there currently is for pantheon

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as far as modernized p99 goes, I feel like there's room for a modern mmo that actually has some downtime in groups so you can chat with pugs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sachant posted:

I think it's a little more than that but not much. They have a guy who is/was pretty active in the EQ emulator coding scene and seems to actually know how an EQ server is made and runs. And the lead guy is a former EQ lead designer, admittedly from one of the worst periods in the game's lifetime, and was also some exec from some niche fantasy horse MMO (this is not a joke) that apparently made some amount of money.

which eq period was that? I would like to bet five zenny on "gates of discord"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I like AAs because I have 57000 of them so now my Shadowknight is an unkillable demigod (this is roughly where you run out of AA to buy including stupid garbage ones, on live servers)

I have done nothing but no-healer groups for weeks

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

Meanwhile I'm sure Pantheon will have an auction house as it marches into aggressively generic obscurity.

pantheon will probably try to recapture our ec tunnel nostalgia by allowing you to access the auction house from your android phone (iphone support coming in a later patch) but for added convenience, you get a little bit of the cash shop currency required for auction house trades by logging in daily to collect your free spin on the Wheel of Chance!

please look forward to it (I have absolutely no optimism for this game being good or even being released)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I sucked at EC tunnel quest because I felt bad if I charged too much so every lowballer got my golden efreeti boots

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

Absolutely, and it seems like EQ had enough interesting basic mechanics that emergent behaviour like swarm kiting was possible. And I think the EQ dev team did a great job permitting some of the weirder stuff while smoothing out some of the obvious exploits. For example, stuff like shrunken races being able to see through walls, I don't think that was ever intended but they never really patched it either. Except for when they did, for zones like Vex Thal (last dungeon of Luclin) where they doubled up all of the walls to prevent exactly that. They were really good at rolling with the punches with things like that.

I feel like the best thing to do is "simply" have a separate set of stats / balance numbers for PvP combat vs PvE. It's twice as much work, but simpler than trying to water down PvE to make PvP totally balanced.

iirc the double-walled vex thal served another purpose too, some dudes managed to get into the zone before it was done (it's hard to find any information about this thanks to super-dead old guild forums, but the key quest was originally unobtaniable-by-obfuscation as opposed to just not being implemented) and if you were mounted, your horses rear end or beak clipping through a wall would aggro stuff from wherever they felt like aggroing from, which the devs only cared about because it made mounts look like stupid garbage during the expansion that introduced those mounts (I assume the horse aggro is fixed now, I actually haven't played a horse-medding class in a loooong time)

this highlights my favorite thing about EQ though: they kept releasing expansions with clearly unfinished content and just made it a bitch to access, hoping that hard mobs in the poopsocker MMO would keep the poopsocker crowd out of the hard mob zones. like velious had an insanely unfinished plane of mischief that went through a ton of changes before it became the "original PoM" that people remember though this wasn't really a traditional endgame zone, luclin had janky vex thal and an atrociously designed acrylia caverns, planes of power had super-broken plane of time with super-quarm etc. they kept failing to hobble players enough to pull off their dumb scheme of "make it too hard to get to the unfinshed poo poo so we have time to finish the poo poo" but they just kept doing it

I realize this isn't entirely on topic but I jump at any chance to talk about everquest with people who might have the chance of knowing what the heck i'm talking about

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Vinestalk posted:

After playing on Al'Kabor for years I could go on an absolute screed about all the broken poo poo that existed in PoP at launch and how it was clearly rushed out the door. Especially PoEa, PoEb, Xegony, and PoTime which were definitely not playtested or finished. In spite of that, AK was the best time I ever had playing EQ and sometimes the broken/rushed stuff was significantly more enjoyable than what it turned into after patching.

I really want to read what you've got rattling around in your brain about busted rear end early-version PoP because this sort of thing is absolutely my kind of thing, and I have a huge gap in knowledge about that era

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I love those EQ posts but I agree, maybe a generalized "wonky MMO mechanics" thread so the FFXI dudes can chime in or whatever, i'm pretty sure that game was also weird

edit: not a good snipe, if you skipped to this page go back a couple and read the effortposts

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

napster of meat posted:

Random memory triggered from this thread...

Hugging the wall for the buff line then logging out to the chat room to preserve those buffs for your lovely Vox PUG attempt. Wiping, falling asleep during the CR, and having to find a Necro with a coffin days later because you died in the pit.

i'll see your corpse run and raise you several hours of buffing and rebuffing, waiting for ???, then the raid leader announces that the runed bolster belt (the one with 31% melee haste on it that was worth a literal fortune) is claimed by said raid leader and virtually everyone just immediately bails

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

can someone do a huge sprawling post about blood mages because i think i'd have loved the class and goon rants are far superior to anything i could google

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

12 hotbars of abilities with 6 hotkeys brimming with abilities actually sounds like current EQ1, my minimalist UI had 8 and I got around that handicap by quickly switching between hotbar pages on my main bar as needed

keep in mind most EQ1 classes just jam like a dozen abilities onto one hotkey and smash that key until everything is dead, my EQ1 shadowknight got through 99% of fights by just hitting 3 a lot because that had a bunch of lifetaps on it + some AA abilities that you could fire during the spell cooldown

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

deathbagel posted:

Rust also works because there are only a few hundred people on a server. It's fine to have just wolves playing a game when you only need a few hundred players. if you want MMO numbers, which if you spent MMO money to develop your game you do, then you have to have some way to accommodate the people who don't want to PvP constantly. Also, another problem is, that while I do enjoy PvP and raiding other people's bases and such, I also enjoy designing and building stuff and I don't want something that I worked on for an entire week to just be destroyed while I sleep.

Edit: Also, another difference, is that Rust servers reset eventually, so even if one group gets a stranglehold on a server, eventually it'll wipe and everyone will be back to square one and that group may not get as lucky as they did that time to manage to get so far out ahead.

i've heard almost nothing about rust but this sounds like a great approach - seasonal games don't need to produce content at blistering speeds to keep the money rolling in and if you fall too far behind you can just wait until the next time the server resets

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dire lord had better be this games shadowknight because if it ever comes out i'm just rebuilding my old everquest main and i don't see sk on the chart

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Node posted:

Unless they've changed it, a dire lord is basically a shadowknight, but they only wear up to chain armor. No plate for them.

thats perfect because then i can re-live my experience of when my sk had poo poo gear

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Groovelord Neato posted:

You cannot. The game is never coming out.

this is perfect because it also lets me re-live that time in my life where my sk had poo poo gear and i also couldn't afford a subscription

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Six AM posted:

This thread is sad. I can't imagine wanting to relive something from 1999

it would own actually because now we all have high speed internet instead of dial up so u dont get disconnected mid-group because someone is calling ur parents and you can stream reruns of star trek on a second monitor with little to no performance loss

you can mitigate wife aggro by either getting her hooked or by not being married / getting a divorce idk i'm gonna just sort of wing this step

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tabletops posted:

Objectively untrue

maybe but have u considered:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hobocrunch posted:

What are these games? I assume ECO is this one in EA on Steam but M&M? Might and Magic?

https://monstersandmemories.com

quote:

Monsters & Memories started as a discussion between MMO fans during a series of livestreams, about what it would be like to create a niche, smaller budget / indie game, in the style of a Classic Fantasy MMO, but utilizing modern day tools and development practices.

Our belief is that by focusing on a very specific audience and core tenets & feature set, a modest, but compelling MMORPG can be developed without spending 10’s of millions of dollars and do well enough to maintain an ongoing live service.

they're actually making progress, here's their development roadmap: https://trello.com/b/wjN4owwf/monsters-and-memories-roadmap

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it owns when screwing up doesn't necessarily instantly kill your group but instead penalizes you by consuming more slowly-replenishing resources, like the individual encounters aren't so bad but you can get worn down by attrition

usually it means a lesser geared group can still tackle content, just slower, as opposed to the tank getting globaled or your group not meeting the dps check or whatever, but it's still gonna be rough and you've gotta play as carefully and efficiently as possible

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the open world version loot should all be tradeable and usable at level 1 where the instanced version has a level requirement and maybe character bound

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LuckyCat posted:

I wish we could see how far they got with EQNext.

my heart hopes that someone will leak a half-finished build but my pessimism expects they didn't make anything that we didn't see in the carefully designed teasers

I said come in! posted:

I have always been curious about that too before it got canceled. I kinda feel like the next obvious stage to take EverQuest would be a mobile MMORPG, but at this point I think that will never happen. EverQuest 1 & 2 are ran by a pretty small team now that seem to just want to focus on cranking out content for that for the few whales and players left playing it.

i'm pretty sure the eq1 devs are trying to find the sweet-spot for tuning where content is doable by multiboxers but still too hard for the average players so they can gently persuade people to buy kronos (tradeable subscription time, can be transferred across servers) to pay for carries through content, at least on live servers. i don't know what the monetization scheme is for progression servers but i assume much of the cashflow from those comes from xp potions

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

on live servers it seems that the most common use of xp potions is to burn like an 8 hour group xp potion to try to guilt me into tanking some dogshit camp in the middle of bullshit nowhere that i only signed up for because i was bored

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I was pretty sick a couple of days ago and looking for youtube videos to distract myself with, stumbled across this stream of a guy playing on some vanguard emu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNmbHcA1KM

i vaguely remember him ranting about how much work they've pumped into the project recently but I didn't retain any important details because I had an insane fever the entire time so the only things I remember are "lots of work has gone into this" and "there is a cave full of giant ants"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope the stupid bear is one of the playable races

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i look forward to defeating the rock bear with all my friends who are just out of frame also defeating the rock bear

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

looking forward to pantheon when it launches as a modded wow classic server in 2167

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that fire beetle is my friend and the flames they painted on his abdomen make him run faster (like jboots, which this game will also have when it launches)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope its eyes bulge out more when you hit it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

r0rb posted:

I assume that bat has 3 eyes because one of those eyes is directly centered on the bridge of the nose.

thank you for pointing this out because i thought it just had loony toon rear end wobbly eyes

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it's standard for a bat to have 2x the nipples of its average litter size

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i look forward to maxing out my pantheon fortnight rank exclusively via training sand giants onto all of the nerds grinding caimans on the beach

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if your eq clone needs more content just make some half assed too-hard zones out of whatever assets you have lying around, might as well also clone the eq content development process as well

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i look forward to playing monsters and memories in like 2 years and having people in my group say they're just playing m&m until pantheon comes out

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

maybe if the pantheon dev team can sell enough vials of lord british's blood they can turn things around

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pantheon? more like scam-theon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PrinnySquad posted:

The dwarf models are absolutely delightful. The game is more classic EQ1 in systems than TLPs at this point. But the game still has a long way to go. One of the most important facets of EQ is stupid random bull poo poo with questionable utility, like a knife that clogs your inventory with 5000 bandages

embalmers skinning knife owns actually