Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the part where people trust the perpetually-stoned-on-painkillers guy who "made" Vanguard which turned out to be a dumpster fire to somehow do better with even less funding and an even more unqualified staff.

Things will be different this time, I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I swear to god there is something broken in the brains of these old school hardcore MMO fans. I can't see how "the game actively makes it a chore to play"=fun

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Pantheon is going to be more SOTA/Star Citizen

Isn't there some nominally playable form of Star Citizen right now? Seems like even that trainwreck is more a of a thing than Pantheon.

quote:

Vanguard, which was at least a competent and interesting game

That's.... being generous, IMO.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah not gonna lie, the game did have some really cool class designs, and diplomacy was neat. It's too bad the rest of the game was a dumpster fire.

Still, anyone who thinks Pantheon is going to be amazing is kidding themselves

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

frajaq posted:

some guy did a huge effort post on the pantheon reddit about why transmog is the worst thing ever

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/dacxni/transmogrificationcosmetic_changing_of_gear_in/

honestly it's kinda fascinating how much some people hate Modern MMO features stuff, and I mean REALLY hate it

Honestly, playing Classic WoW for ~20 hours was more than enough for me to really appreciate the advances made in the genre since then. I'm actually mildly concerned over the mental well-being of people pining for the days of 24+ hour camping for rare spawns and cross-world corpse runs and losing levels upon death and all that terrible, terrible stuff. I liked the older MMOs like EQ, etc., back in the day, but going back... they're... they're not great.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Holy moley what a bunch of tl;dr that... doesn't really say anything.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ehud posted:

I missed Wildstar because it was released during a time that I wasn’t doing much PC gaming.

I wish I could see why it was such a disaster. I love stuff like that.

I think the main thing was that despite having relatively cool combat, it was too focused on the "HARDCORE" audience (it had a Burning-Crusade-esque attunement quest to unlock the raid, and then 40-man raids. No one really wants that poo poo anymore, at least enough people to maintain a big-budget mainstream MMO). The questing itself was also fairly bog standard collect 10 bear asses stuff.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Nothing will be in Pantheon because it will never be released (and I will continue to believe this until it actually is released)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The biggest red flag was McQuaid's involvement tbh. Most of the stuff that was good about EQ was poo poo the devs never intended and then, uh.... Vanguard. You'd have to be a giant sucker to see "Brad McQuaid's new MMO!" and think that it would be anything remotely enjoyable

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LMAO I forgot about that, what a fuckin' clown

That video... releasing a WoW clone in 2020 2021 2022....

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Working hard by skipping work and pissing into mountain dew bottles in front of my computer for 18 hours for a chance at getting a 0.1% drop from a monster that spawns once every 36 hours while hoping it doesn't get stolen by another group to own the libs

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The fart bat with 12 nipples was a..... bold choice to start with

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Maybe I'm just becoming an old man, but I don't understand what these NFTs are. I keep hearing about them as art pieces, like screenshots, paintings, recordings, etc but... how the gently caress does that work? I can literally just right click->save as with the artwork or download it from somewhere or something.

How is this a form of currency? It seems even stupider than bitcoin, which is impressive because bitcoin is already very stupid, but at least the theory kinda makes sense.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

It's a downloadable image that also has a list somewhere that says the name of who actually "owns" it. Also that list has no owner and is in a crypto blockchain because something something globalist elites.

Zaodai posted:

It's basically when you and your friends are talking about a movie, and someone is like "I saw that in theaters, on release night.". So they get to wave their ticket stub in your face like they had something special, but at the end of the day you all saw the same loving movie.

NFTs are exactly what you think they are, and the only reason they "work", for a very loose definition of "work", is that people are speculating in them as the next big thing and so each person is conning the next person in line for slightly more money. It's straight up just a pyramid scheme, there is no intrinsic value to any of it.

Sounds really loving dumb. Sounds like a barter system but even more obtuse, unwieldly, and for items with little intrinsic value. Of course weirdo AnCaps love it.

EDIT: And for items you can get 100% accurate carbon-copies of, making the items worth even less

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In all honesty I think Visionary Realms is kinda cute.

It's like a small child putting on his dad's shirt and necktie and pretending to be an accountant or whatever his dad's job is.

"Look! Look! We're game developers!"

Sure you are, champs!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Current list of features:
The game will have characters
The game will have locations
There might be weapons and armor and attacks, we aren't sure yet

Give me kickstarter money

EDIT: Unrelated to Pantheon but related to NFT's, apparently thrash metal band Megadeth sold an NFT for 18 grand in some kind of fake internet currency loving lmao. What is this world?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 13, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Vomik posted:

what I don't get is how does this "company" not have a single ideas guy? it seems like every other industry is overrun with them.

without brad getting high and writing articles about some stupid bullshit i feel like there's no way this company can carve out a niche in the fake game market.

My absolutely shot-in-the-dark wild guess is that they don't have any "ideas guys" cuz the only people Brad managed to hook were people slavishly devoted to his "vision", same as the people who are bizarrely obsessed with this game and the halcyon days of Verant/989 early EQ. They didn't have ideas, they had Brad and The Vision (TM)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think there's almost no chance anyone's going to make what the people chasing the EQ dragon want. I suspect then even if a game was literally a carbon copy of EQ with better graphics, it still wouldn't be the same for a lot of people.

I remember on the Vanguard forums, pre-beta and pre-alpha, if you talked about how much you liked a feature in an MMO that wasn't in EQ, people would freak. If you pointed out all the ways VG was going to be different than EQ, features and aspects that were already announced, well known, and shown on the main site, people would freak. "No! This game should be exactly like EQ and will be exactly like EQ LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 18, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think the only parts of Vanguard I didn't like were defaulting to third person view and doing the WoW ! for quests. I'm bummed I worked full time and went to school full time during its launch because my brother and his friend had so much fun with it and I felt so left out on them telling me about out of the way dungeons and poo poo.

I played Vanguard for a bit and recall... not hating it, but it performed so poorly I got sick of the frame rate drops and crashes and hideously long load times and had to stop playing it. I remember the diplomacy mini-game actually being pretty fun. I also just happen to remember a very vocal minority that didn't seem interested in what the game actually was; just Brad McQuaid was making it so obviously it was going to be EQ + better graphics, even to the point where they didn't want Warriors to have anything other than auto-attack, kick, and shield slam.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

Well, you're in luck: https://www.projectn.online/
I'm ready to be disappointed again.

Hell yeah, another old school hardcore MMO being developed by a small unfunded team. Can't wait for this game to never come out!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Can't wait for them to reveal Beynos and Breeport and Brobb and Borth Bommonlands

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The Pit, right outside the city of Ouchfish, where the evil Smartypants race live after they broke away from the Smartypants in Smartypandin

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm stretching my EQ knowledge, I actually didn't play beyond like level 20 during the Kunark era.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's come up before but Vanguard had such cool loving classes. It is too bad Brad couldn't manage worth poo poo.

Yeah, Blood Mage and Disciple were really cool IIRC

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

IIRC the Warrior-Priest/Disciple of Khaine from WAR and Bear Shaman from Age of Conan were similar to that, too.

Man those games had some really neat class design

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm already playing FFXIV, FFXI, and TSW because I'm a madman. I do have the WAR private server client installed though.

I kinda miss weird utility classes from old MMOs like EQ's Bard and Enchanter and how you could have dedicated Buff/Debuff classes in DAoC but I suppose including that kind of thing makes designing encounters and stuff more of a pain. I don't know, that's my assumption.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Who is this person? I love a good trainwreck, which is why I love Brad McQuaid's Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Guys I'm starting to think that the Pantheon team is not very competent and the game might not ever come out

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I should learn how to use unity and start a kickstarter for an old school mmo, I'm tired of working

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

IIRC Paladins in DAoC could "twist" auras in a similar fashion

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Long hours without a group and ending up in groups that only got me killed a bunch were frequent enough that I never got beyond like level 20.

When I quit, I gave all my stuff to my little brother. The stuff wasn't like expensive but it was good enough for some of his alts. He logged in on a lowbie wizard(?) alt and used summoned bags to hold some of the good stuff. He couldn't find someone to sotw/invis to freeport that day and logged off. Woke up the next morning with half the good stuff gone because he forgot summoned bags disappear on logout.

Truly, the peak of gaming, I don't understand why more devs don't make games like this anymore. They should take it to the next level and send a professional Muay Thai boxer to kick you in the junk when you die

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I was in a stream on twitch talking about how the MMO genre seems to be in decline, there's only like three new MMOs coming out (New World, Ashes of Creation and maybe Riot's MMO) and someone in the chat said "Don't forget about Pantheon!"

lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I didn't play it much but the class design was cool and diplomacy owned. It was just so poorly optimized it ran like complete poo poo on my otherwise very good at the time PC.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I played Rift until 60 during that first expansion (Storm Legion?) but the world never clicked for me. It felt more sterile and uninteresting than WoW (and I didn't find WoW's world terribly interesting starting around Cata). I remember at some point I basically had to grind Infinity Stones to gear up and noped the gently caress out.

Still, some of the dungeons and mobs were really cool and some of the souls were interesting.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I still encounter people who think this is the next big thing lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't understand the problem with leashing, tbh. It seems more realistic for anything other than, like, a golem or undead critter to eventually give up and go home than to chase you literally until one of you dies. That's assuming "My VERISIMILITUDE" is the reason for the complaints, of course.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

It isn't about the loading screens, it's about whether you can do things like quadding, fear kiting, and bard swarming. Leashing means you probably can't, and also makes mobs less dangerous in most situations since you can run from them in any direction rather than specific ones.

Oh hmm. I hadn't played enough EQ to even consider that

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm amazed that they're still working on this game. They've made a lot more progress than I expected. Of course, I expected at most procedurally-generated terrain and bought unity assets. That there's more to it than that is a miracle.

Why, they might actually release a buggy, bare-bones, completely unfun product before 2030!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Memories of my Human Necromancer of Bertoxxulous (or was it Innoruuk?) being KoS to one single random NPC in my home city but "dubious" or "apprehensive" to everyone else except for my fellow evil-god-worshipping-NPCs

EDIT: I also remember I bought the Ruins of Kunark strategy guide and it said that no one was KoS to Halflings. Took a Troll to Rivervale once and discovered this is a complete lie.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

hobocrunch posted:

I see the entire Pantheon community asking for slow combat (because they're in their 60's now) and I sit here and wonder how they're going to like playing a video game that's dead in a week because no one wants to play a game where it takes several minutes of auto attacking to kill an enemy

Thinking about all these vaporware old school MMOs that promise really elaborate features and poo poo that, if they ever launched, would shut down in less than 12 months because they were too expensive to develop and too niche to recover the costs

At least that minecraft EQ clone they're developing is probably cheap enough