Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
as I recall, I had a server first (i think they differentiated between server and world right?) discovery of some random bracers or gauntlets whilst killing mobs in absolutely bumfuck nowhere in Vanguard.

I liked the idea of them embracing community run sites for class information a la Caster's Realm, Monkly Business, Steel Warrior, etc etc from the Everquest days... my friend and I planned to make the world's PREMIERE BLOOD MAGE FAN SITE, got into somewhat early beta, and realized maintaining such a beast would be :effort: .

My PC at the time couldn't really handle it at all. I bought it anyway and had a very... sluggish experience with it.

I will probably pitch in for Pantheon eventually, but I'm a little skeptical at this point. part of what really grabbed me with EQ was the mystery in the world. with all of the data mining and botting that goes on now, i'm afraid any new MMO will be chewed up, spat out, and min/maxed to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

MF_James posted:

They can't be 100% thieving from EQ

sound effects, classes, mechanics- sure.

but rear end-scratching? my god man.

Ehud posted:

New gameplay video

Ogre Shaman in Black Rose Keep.

Haven’t had a chance til watch it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_oFEy4YGTg

my favorite part is when he right-clicks and death touches the game designer and starts snickering like a madman while they're like "That's all the time we have for today"

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
probably the Skar.

https://pantheonmmo.com/races/skar/

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

I think it’s smart to keep showing gameplay streams to keep people engaged in the development of the game. It’s one thing I think they’re doing better than most of these other MMO’s in development.

I'm not sure whether other games have done so, but it's a good marketing ploy to reach out to PRO STREAMERS and show off the game like this.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 4, 2018

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
sounds cool. Shaman seems very EQ-esque, except they moved the wolf pet to Druid in the form of a fox. I don't see any teleport spells for the Druid - wonder if the Wizard will have them, or if they're abandoning ports for some other mechanic for getting around the world?

Cleric looks like it's evolved slightly from "sit on your rear end and heal every so often", but I'm not sure by how much.

edit: INT casters when?!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

it blows my mind anyone would play current eq over project 1999 (if you were someone who wanted to play eq that is).

20 years of poopsocking momentum i guess.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Givin posted:

You're getting your executive producer scammers mixed up friend.

Brad McQuaid, or Benzo Brad, or Brad McQuaalude is the pill head.

The Drizzt book guy is Curt Schilling who took the whole state of Rhode Island for a ride by promising to make an MMORPG and then pissed all the cash away, fired everyone, and skipped town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75H5SpegbI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

you know, I kind of liked Kingdoms of Amalur though. I just didn't like it enough to buy it :v:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
id really like to see some outdoorsy dungeons. where's crushbone?!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Have the Fallen risen yet?

I'm not even sure if the Fallen have fallen yet, much less risen.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

They should get rid of a compass too. You should have to have a Gnome tinker one for you.

Gotta bind your Sense Heading skill to your arrow keys, so you can max it out while running around!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

soy posted:

Just draw out your own map on a piece of paper ya big baby

Seriously though every mmog is such a trophy dispenser themepark for retard toddlers that pantheon has a good chance to fill the niche of hardcore pve mmog

yet everyone uses the original EQ Atlas maps made by ONE SPOONY BARD. whats the difference

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

soy posted:

Someone had to make those, we didn't have poo poo in 1999.

IMO make poo poo as hard as possible.

point is that it was basically just one guy (MUSE hallowed be thy name) that did all of them. and that was really cool and he was truly the spooniest of bards. but the rest of us just downloaded all of his maps, wasn't any different than having an in-game map without location tracking for 99.99% percent us.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
yeah, being able to make maps in game, or have vendors sell maps would be really handy. and having a map doesn't necessarily mean it has to be accurate- I could see having a map that gives you the general lay of the land and major landmarks, but doesn't show your location or tell you where all of the phat lewt will spawn.

themepark MMOs that shuttle you from quest to quest, area to area maybe need the tracking and stuff because they're made up of largely forgettable "bring back 23 wolf feet" quests. the purpose there is to facilitate mindless skinner box quests so you can max out and get to The Real Game (tm) of whatever endgame content they've put together.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

lol

Somehow this sums up everything perfectly. It’s too bad it’s too long for a thread title.

completely agree on both the bear asses and the title.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
have the fallen risen yet?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
who wants to start a Failed Kickstarter Game merchandise collection with me?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Did they not even give them ice cream

seriously, this is the most important part of the story. was there ice cream or not? and what flavors

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
you see, the new logo shows how the fallen have risen and now encircle Terminus forever like an Ouroboros of grinding. you're an idiot who just doesn't understand The Vision (tm)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
seriously sad about this. thanks for all of the good times in Unrest, Lower Guk, SolB and so on, Brad!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I like the new zone. I'm looking forward to going on a corpse run there.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

pretty much this

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Percelus posted:

1st person eq is haram

fact- you cannot see your ogre scratch their butthole in fps mode

EQ didn't get the WoW-like camera until somewhere between 2002-2006.

Playing third person was really hard when the camera tracked oddly like an early N64 game when they weren't really sure how to deal with cameras and gave them their own button.

it was definitely a must to slap F9 until you got an optimal butt scratching viewport when standing around trading though.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

Maybe Brad had a life insurance policy that listed Visionary Realms as the sole beneficiary.

THE PLOT THICKENS

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
hey guys whats goin on in this thread... oh

well uh, have the fallen risen yet? i'm ready to give them all of my money! :homebrew:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is definitely a game for system administrators. Linux system administrators.

....tell me more.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
as we've learned from Star Citizen, the best games are the ones that live entirely in the player's imagination.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i was going to actually check the Pantheon website for updates instead of my usual trite 'have the fallen risen yet???'

but it turns out that no, they have not bothered to update the blog since May 20. i trawled around some more and found a dev stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0azqKDRdrx0 where they mostly play the same 30s of 'greyboxed' terrain in al oop.

these guys really, really love the ability to climb walls. i think they wanted to make a spiderman game.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Hexel posted:

With McQuaid in Shadowrest who's in charge of Pantheon?

I assume he's helming the project from beyond the grave just like all of the liches in his fantasy worlds.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Node posted:

I'd play the poo poo out of a game if it was made by a lich

but aren't liches like devoid of all sapience and direction?

...it all makes sense now.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

It's not that they can't, it's that they are not trying and have no intention of trying.

that feels like every crowdfunded MMO.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Richard Garriott's terrible MMO raised more money than the original EQ cost in today's dollars (~4.7 million).

for whatever reason this reminded me of something ive been thinking about for a while.

i've really come to appreciate old school EQ's architecture because it feels like it's something, on the server side at least, that could be implemented by a single person or small team today with modern tooling, assumptions about home internet quality, premade libraries, etc.

"Q: how often should the server tick to handle scripts, events, aggro, combat rounds, buffs...?
A: I dunno.. every 6 seconds?"

"Q: How do we build a single massive world?
A: Uhhh let's make some really big rectangles with impassable hills at the edges and use crevices, caves and bridges to delineate different 'zones'!"

Bringing this back to Pantheon.. I think they would've been able to build a really cool game with a small team if they worked within, approximately, the constraints of the original EQ. Every time I see Black Rose Keep it looks a little more like WoW with climbing mechanics.

Sometimes less is more...

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

milkman dad posted:

Everquest modding is actually fun and relatively accessible. Unfortunately the work on an open server codebase is way way farther than that on an open client.

yeah, absolutely. i've got an idle fascination with open EQ clients, but they all seem to fall flat on their face for some reason or another. I guess once you start down the road of developing one, you start to think.. why constrain myself to a reverse-engineered protocol when I can just invent a new one, with new content?

start your kickstarter now.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ehud posted:

game looks done!!!

honestly id play this game if they stuck to the dev graphics as the actual graphics.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
It never ceases to amaze. I'm unsurprised but sad that they painted themselves into a corner.

They're saying poo poo that are now my trigger words thanks to Star Citizen.

"pipelines".
Nooooooooo :stonk:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Pantheon: The Fallen Have Arisen but then they fell down again.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sachant posted:

It wasn't though. EQ is great. It's all of these projects that take that and try to second guess it all that are failing.

I think EQ is different kinds of great to different kinds of people. It has a ton of warts, but yeah, fundamentally my favorite broke brain game.

I played Live from Kunark thru PoP, Project 1999, and now The Al'Kabor Project and they were/are all great in different ways. I think they can be summarized as roughly:
Live -> I was 15yo and clueless. Everything was a mystery. Killing rats and bats in Freeport and Qeynos is the single most nostalgic thing I can imagine.
P1999 -> I played the same content as live, but I was less clueless. The wiki has everything. I had a lot of fun with the leveling game, hanging out with goons, but breaking into raiding was miserable. Worse now, with green. first-to-engage poopsocking and conga lines for soon-to-be-removed items is super unfun to me.
TAKP -> I'm more wizened about mechanics than ever. There's very little mystery, far different than when I first became an EQ player, but raiding is fun because it's accessible. All of the ways you can break this game by exploiting geometry and subtle mechanics is amazing.

There are so many half-assed systems in EQ. Crafting, useless skills (alcohol tolerance, begging, pick-pocketing, poison making, languages...), message boards (mercifully killed early in the game, but they were cool), tons of broken quests, boats never worked right, etc. I don't mean that as a criticism, that was part of what made it so awesome. Project M letting players be random low level mobs? Awesome.

I do wonder how much of EQ's success was throwing poo poo at the wall and rolling with what stuck, and how much of it was that large portions of the fundamentals were lifted from MUDs. Certainly they could never replicate The Vision with Vanguard, much less Pantheon now.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

I picked up Vanguard again about a year before it died for good and i really enjoyed it. Shame it had such lovely leadership and launched in the state it did

It was really fun and cool to be the first person to discover an item :colbert:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Frog Act posted:

even though this is basically a long sustained farting sound the stupid dual wielding generic everquest characters triggers something deep in my brain. it makes me want to waste a thousand hours in a low poly world. sign up for camps. fall off something and never get my corpse back.

ed: also lol it's hilarious watching this full party try to take down regular mobs by trying to carefully use CC spells, which are bugged and don't work like half the time, just at all

yeah the greyboxing/low poly has a certain charm and they ought to just roll with it as their final art style :colbert: low poly bear <3

the races and combat look pretty generic and muddy. i guess it's just my nostalgia but EQ's combat felt a lot crunchier and the characters had nice albeit goofy at times silhouettes. this kind of just looks like it plays like wow clone button masher.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hobocrunch posted:

That's because outside of like Faerthale that is quite literally accurate. This game is basically completely fresh since these young blood joined the team in like mid 2019 or whenever it was. Most of the time spent until now has been on Faerthale.

But I don't know about everyone else but Faerthale didn't even look that fun? I realise this game is more about reading and the storyline / getting immersed in the world etc but there just didn't look like that much poo poo to do. I'm real worried that there just isn't going to be enough lore / quests to keep anyone interested.

No minimap is great though. This is going to be super fun for exploring and learning the world.

But it has climbing mechanics damnit. CLIMBING. NO ONE HAS DONE CLIMBING MECHANICS YET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

The weird thing is, I think that there is space out there for a successor to the EQ style MMO. McQuaid was absolutely NOT the person who should of been at the helm though. Everything he did post-EQ showed that he learned all the wrong lessons and was operating out of a place of ego. I kind of wish when McQuaid came to these forums once upon a time that we didn't immediately run him off because one of the things I really wanted to ask him was what he learned from Vanguard.

This was always doomed to a comedy of disasters. Too bad though.

it's amusing how this always happens and gamers always eat it up.

McQuaid, Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott..

it's almost as if they need constraints and pressure from above to actually deliver.

overwhelmingly the response to "What if Soandso Washed Up Rockstar Game Dev could make the game of his dreams with no limits?" is always "A wet fart"