Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Finding groups on p99 is really easy as long as you stick to the most efficient leveling zones, given that the zone experience modifiers are now public knowledge, most people just stick to those. If you want groups you’ll want to do newbie zone to 10, Kurns/Crushbone to level 20, Unrest to 25, HHK Gobs to 35, ?? to 40, then COM to 50. Those zones are always packed.

FWIW I’m one of those brain damaged types that has actually really been enjoying P99. The sense of danger and mystery, I still get lost and scared I’m going to die all the time, the tremendous socializing required to make it in the world, the experience isn’t really present in any other MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

It's dead if you want to casually step into a teens-30s exp zone and expect multiple camps to be occupied with groups that aren't all pre-filled with alts getting PL'd by someone, if you run into anybody at all.

FWIW that really hasn’t been my experience at all. I started a char this summer and have gotten him to the upper 50s. While leveling up the newbie zones always had people in them, FOB and Gfay were packed, Kurns/crushbone typically had 20+ people in them, same goes for unrest/mistmoore, HHK, COM, KC, etc. There are definitely preferred leveling zones that people tend to congregate towards for efficiency.

That said, the other day I ran from South Karana to Permafrost, and there were 20-30 people in SK, 20 people in West Karana, half a dozen people in QHills and Blackburrow each. I specifically thought “drat this is awesome, these classic zones still feel alive”.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the big problem with p1999 is everyone's max level and poo poo so the low level zones are dead as hell. only a few classes can solo so it's a huge bummer going to the places i enjoyed and there being one or two others at best.

There are definitely tons of newbies and alts leveling up constantly. Uguk had 36 people in it last night, could barely find anything alive. Kurns is sitting around 20 people regularly. Field of Bone, Gfay, Crushbone, Oasis, Unrest, Mistmoore etc all consistently have a few dozen people in each of them during peak hours. I even saw multiple groups in Befallen the other night.

Some zones are more consistently empty, like Toxx, Qeynos, Blackburrow, there are preferred leveling zones that form an exp highway that you'll find most people at.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

hayden. posted:

Pantheon is never going to compete for the types of players that also play WoW. If you play Pantheon it's because you don't want hand holding. If you want hand holding there's literally 30 better games you could play. It makes sense they wouldn't compete in that space.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
There's a difference between having the map be available in game, and having to go to a website to try to figure out some weirdo's hand-drawn estimate.

I played a bunch of P99 over the last 6 months, and I got lost in zones countless times. If the map were readily available by pressing M or whatever, that wouldn't have happened. I'd have just popped it open like every other game with a map, and stared at my icon as I moved towards my goal on this 2D image, ignoring the world I was traveling through. Even when I'd use the map in a browser alt tabbed, I'd have to look around the world IG to find landmarks and hope I was getting to the right place, and even then I'd miss landmarks a bunch of times and end up running around seeing parts of the zone I wouldn't have otherwise.

The idea of "just don't use it if you want it to be harder" doesn't work. If it's readily available, most people will give in and use it, and you lose that sense of immersion and being lost in a world that you'd get otherwise.

The whole point of Pantheon is to ignore a bunch of the conventions in MMO's that have become the standard, like in game maps, in favor of getting back to a more immersive, mysterious, dangerous experience. Maybe (probably) it will be a colossal failure, but this kind of a decision is consistent with what they're trying to do here.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

You can easily have in game maps that don’t track your location

If they do end up including maps, I think removing the tracking would go a long way towards easing the concerns of the anti-map crowd, as long as the entire contents of the area weren't already laid out on the map as well and had to be discovered first. What could also be cool is if, as an alternative, they allowed players to somehow draw and sell their own in game maps.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Yeah, the boss and raid mechanics in WoW were definitely light years ahead of anything in EQ.

To echo what the other two posters above said though, is that the world of classic EQ, and the grouping experience, felt much more immersive due to the danger and the mystery that resulted from that lack of information. It wasn't about the technical difficulty of the combat, but about the real sense of fear and wonder as you're going through a new zone, or a zone at night, or are deep in a dungeon miles from your bind point. You and 5 other dudes are deep in some poo poo that could wipe you guys all out at any moment if someone was not on top of their role as CC, healer, tank, or puller, or if you just took a wrong turn.

The idea that you could suddenly lose the last few hours of progress, and your corpse, and you'd then have to figure out some way to get all the way back to it from across the continent while naked and not die again in the process. That made you sit on the edge of your seat and made the encounters and exploration meaningful.

Your first time, hell even your 50th time in a zone, you had no idea what was in the majority of it, and that lack of knowing made it feel like there was always something out there to explore.

I think that's some of what a lot of people miss.

I have been thinking about those boss and raid mechanics, and wondering how that could be translated over to a game with harsh death penalties. Maybe they could come up with some kind of system that allows people to dull some of the death penalties that occur to them while in the radius of raid mobs? Otherwise I'm not really sure how you could set up encounters that are so technically challenging that groups/raids are expected to wipe dozens of times while learning them (and this is without all their abilities and phases being understood ahead of time).

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
On second thought, I don't want to completely dismiss EQ's combat as being less challenging than WoW's all around.

Given that the dungeon/raid boss encounters were much more challenging, engaging, and elaborate in WoW, I do think the day to day combat in EQ was oftentimes more challenging and strategic.

Charm soloing as a necro or enchanter in Howling Stones, for example, is far more challenging an experience than any soloing I've done in another MMO. Like, if you're trying to break into a room with 6 mobs that can each individually kill you in 5 seconds flat, you have to do some creative poo poo and know what you're doing, but you can pull it off with the the right approach. Even with that right approach, poo poo can go wrong, and your ability to adapt and respond quickly to that means the difference between life and death.

When trying to break up a spawn, or fear kite, or set up a camp, you have to be very careful about when you pull what, where you're pulling it to, what abilities you're using to pull it, what mobs are pathing around, the timing of your pulls and kills, etc.

You also had so many different approaches you could take: face tank a mob, root rot, AoE kite, fear kite, charm solo, reverse charm, swarm kite, FD pulling, etc.

That kind of complexity simply doesn't exist in games like WoW.

It might be more accurate to say that the combat in EQ had more of a strategic challenge to it? Either way it definitely feels more meaningful, strategic, and rewarding than the AoE button mashing that WoW seemed to have turned into from the base leveling experience up to Mythic dungeons in Legion.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 17, 2019

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So, they're hoping that with their entire team working for a month, they'll be able to "block out" a single encounter, meaning it won't even be fully completed at that point.

As long as the game only has 2-3 encounters total, and nothing else left to complete, everything should be fine not sure why anyone has doubts.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

People pining for those types of “features” aren’t remembering the game itself, but a moment in both gaming and their lives.... neither of which can be recaptured because 1) we all age and 2) the modern internet ain’t the turn of the willenium internet.

It’s not really just that, otherwise P99 wouldn’t have a player base. I got a necro to 60 on p99 last year, and honestly loved every second of it.

The crazy corpse runs provide a genuine feeling of danger that puts you on the edge of your seat in a way that’s completely non existent in modern MMOs.

I will concede that these extremely punitive game mechanics run counter to what the majority of people enjoy, and will likely never allow a game to see the kind of mainstream success that WOW has. However, I think there is a demographic out there to whom they’re genuinely compelling, even when you discard nostalgia.

The multi day long camps are pretty miserable tbh. Not sure there’s much that could be argued is compelling about that. Not sure what the solution would be in a non-instanced game world though other than just not having items/spawns of that degree of rarity.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Ehud posted:

They’re supposed to show something about Faerthale on Thursday night during the Cohh stream.

If it’s just concept art and unfinished assets I’m going to lol

You are going to lol

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Poor guy.

Thanks for the memories.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

It's gonna be concept art.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Ehud posted:

Behold, the castle of Felwi...Aradune!

I'm hearing this in Aqua Teen Hunger Force voices.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
P99 exactly as it is, just with better graphics, and maybe a few more abilities for pure melee classes, would be the biggest hit MMO in years.

At least in my heart.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I feel like there's nothing sad about a game that looks like this 7 years into development y'all are just negative nancies

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I honestly feel like I, with no gaming or software development experience, could do a better job of delivering on a crowdfunded game than these guys.

I’m guessing this is what everyone feels before they launch their own crowdfunded mmo.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

I do recall that as soon as the KS failed they set up a donation page and encouraged everyone to donate the amount they submitted through Kickstarter. I know this because I’m a sucker.

Can you do an ama?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

cagliostr0 posted:

Who could have predicted a game made by a man most famous for telling all his staff their was an ice cream party in the carpark only to go lol reversal of Fortune and give them severance documents instead of ice cream while rifling through their desks looking for pills to scarf would be a colossal fuckup who couldn't deliver on a project.

I can not fathom treating your employees like that.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

Ah yes the gloomingdeep mines or w/e they’re called. I miss the days of newbie gardens being chock full of new players and old players making alts.

The newbie garden I think of most often is Misty Thicket, while I feel most nostalgic for Innothule Swamp. In 1999 as a 12 year old I was blown away by EQ and I’ve not felt the immersion I felt after making my troll Shadowknight ever again. I think that’s most people’s experience with MMOs though. We look back with rose tinted glasses and want to feel what we felt again, but we never will.

Honestly, I went into P99 expecting all the magic to be gone but it wasn't. It was still there, and possibly just as strong.

I'm not even sure it's entirely nostalgia. No other MMO that I've tried has the sense of danger, mystery, and community that P99 has.

To this day you will run around in dangerous zones, and get lost because it's night time and you don't have an in game map. This is when the fear starts to set in because you're bound halfway around the world and you're gonna lose your level if you die. God help you if you die deep in Kaesora during a charm soloing session that has you clenching your butt cheeks the entire time so hard you could forge diamonds.

Everyone in the game tends to develop a reputation, you see the same people setting up shop in the same zones day after day and week after week and everyone gets to know each other.

Every button you press as an enchanter or necromancer while soloing has actual weight and meaning to it and can make the difference between life and death, there's no meaningless button spam (unless you're a melee), and those potential deaths are legitimately brutal and create a real sense of danger.

Pulling, CC, carefully managing hp and mana throughout your fights are all nontrivial affairs and critical to success.

Outside of the few classes who can solo effectively, you need people to accomplish anything in the game, so you have to socialize, people actually chat nonstop in parties and that act of socializing is oftentimes more than half the fun.

Based on how creative and good you are with your class you can pull off crazy poo poo, soloing or duoing stuff that the developers never intended you to.

Getting level 60 feels like a legitimate accomplishment, hell every level you get past level 2 feels like a legitimate accomplishment.

Game is still loving awesome and magical and sucked away every free minute of my life for the better part of a year or two.

Too bad raiding loving blows, and outside of that you end up without much to do at level 60 aside from farming high end items given that there will never be another expansion.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 16, 2021

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

quote:

We know with our current team size that this would take some time to complete. So a big part of this year is exploring options on how to finish Alpha One in a reasonable timeframe.

I think I like these sentences the most.

"We will be spending the next year thinking about how we're going to do this thing"

"The year after that, we may even start to write some of those thoughts down"

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

FrostyPox posted:

I think there's almost no chance anyone's going to make what the people chasing the EQ dragon want. I suspect then even if a game was literally a carbon copy of EQ with better graphics, it still wouldn't be the same for a lot of people.

Agreed on the first point, but you overestimate my intelligence if you think I wouldn't throw my life away to play a carbon copy of EQ.

I spent over a year playing P99 and it was my favorite gaming experience of the decade.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
It can be daunting to spend days or even weeks tracking down a buyer or seller for an item on P99.

That said, what that translates into is you having to talk to a bunch of people, getting leads from your guild mates and strangers on people they know who have or want that item, tracking that person down, getting that rush when you know that you're about to get this thing you've been looking for for days, or about to unload a pricey item you've been trying to sell for as long, the disappointment when the lead falls through, eventually haggling with people, agreeing to meet up somewhere at some time, getting a great deal or getting screwed over.

This is a lot of player interaction and interdependence, the process is dynamic, it can end in frustration or a feeling of great reward, it really makes all this meaningful and you genuinely build relationships with people throughout the process, and ultimately this poo poo is memorable.

I legit have memories like walking from EC to Solusek A, encumbered to hell with 10-15k pp on me, walking about 2 feet per second, constantly recasting invis so I don't get killed, just to eventually make it to a vendor to buy a guildie some tinkerer's bags. That guildie hooked me up, we became friends, he gave me tons of poo poo afterwards and we ended up playing together a bunch.

I remember looking for spells for my enchanter for over a week, and then a total stranger messages me in EC, and he ends up running all over the world checking vendors for the spell components, gets them together, then comes back to EC to combine the spell for me.

I have tons of memories of me making friends with strangers and guildies in the process of trying to track something down, or getting something for them. Nobody is selling that thing you need? I know how to get it, we can duo it, let's go I'll show you.

You lose all that when you just drop in an auction house that anyone can pull up, drop items into, or buy whatever they need, without having to interact with anyone.

Yeah, it can be a pain in the rear end. So can putting together a group, having to compete for limited mobs or wanting to do a camp that's already taken, taking 6 months of consistent play to get to max level, losing the last 3 hours of progress with a death, getting lost in the dark in a dangerous zone and having no map or any idea where to go, having to do a corpse recovery naked in said zone on the other side of the world, having to rely on druids and wizards to port you around or facing hours of running and boats...

When you start to get rid of all the friction between players or with the world itself, and replace these things with vastly simplified/streamlined/automated systems, the world starts to feel empty, easy, shallow and meaningless.

My brainworms lead me to get bored quickly in modern MMOs in large part because this steady stream of streamlining changes have turned the MMO from a living, breathing, challenging, meaningful world filled with other people that you really get to know over time into what is essentially a single player game that poses no challenge whatsoever in 95% of its content, where your player interaction consists primarily of instance lobbies filled with strangers you couldn't give less of a poo poo about.

Granted, this doesn't mean that EQ did everything right and that nothing about it should be subject to criticism or change, just that any suggested change that removes player interdependence and makes the game easier or more streamlined may risk eroding the essence of what makes classic EQ/p99 great.

I really need to stop writing long rants about 20 year old games and the golden years of MMOs.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I've been wondering lately whether an MMO actually needs the classes to be all that balanced.

On P99 the classes are unbalanced as poo poo, yet not everyone is an enchanter. There are people playing every class just because they like the flavor of that class.

There are probably arguments to be made that pure melee could be given more skills to make them more interactive, rangers and paladins could be tuned a bit to be better at something, but ultimately none of those things will ever make them as powerful as an enchanter. Is that okay?

Like, pen and paper D&D, not all the classes are balanced, and yet millions of people have still been loving playing that game for decades.

Can we have an MMO where each class is fun and has its own genuinely unique capabilities, it's own flavor and niche, and forgive the fact that maybe not every class will be equally powerful as a result?

Are we just taking it for granted that MMOs need to be balanced like a competitive game when that may not be the case?

I start thinking about WoW, and how its approach to balance has been to make all the classes kind of samey. I think that's a pity.

If I were to start my own kickstarter scam MMO, I would want bard swarm kiting to be a thing, necro and enchanter charm soloing to be a thing. I think it's really cool when you have all these unique approaches to playing the game come out of people figuring out what they can do with the tools they've been given, when those tools are actually powerful, and when class selection actually has weight and really feels like a unique identity.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

I don't want to post a bunch of boring poo poo no one's interested in (too late, :rip:) but I can do deep dives about the following topics if anyone wants:

-Other unfinished PoP encounters
-The PoP mystery mechanic that almost started a player revolt
-PoP's busted rear end pathing that was both a boon and a curse

Pretty sure a lot of us would love to read these stories.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

hobocrunch posted:

To be fair kids that listen to Queen and ACDC are better than the ones that listen to [Insert Youtube Trending Music]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7WMqns_k4w

Monthly update. And we're back to texturing zones again. Well at least they say there's a part 2

This is like watching a Unity/Blender tutorial.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I can't believe nobody has posted their February update, which consists of a 1 hour video of them interviewing their HR Director and Internal Communications manager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia6Y0xV-d9U

Edit: My bad, the much less funny reality is that they also had a typical newsletter for the month - https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/_2022/february/

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 6, 2022

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Going back a couple pages I'm actually all for zones because that allows kiting in all its glory and does away with the necessity for leashing. Plus it brings back the concepts of trains and escaping with a sliver of your life if you can only just make it to that zone line. Lots of fun/heart pounding gameplay around zones actually IMO.

As for instances, I think the only way they should be allowed in an EQ clone is to deal with the shitshow that is raiding, and it should work like this:

Raid zones have both an open world shared version, and instanced versions.

Those instances work like WoW instances. So if you choose to zone into the instanced version, you get locked to an instance ID, resets every week, blah blah blah. The instanced versions are a little easier, and maybe even have mechanics like letting you pop back up at zone in with all your equipment and a reduced/no exp hit on death, in order to allow for actually challenging boss encounter designs that take dozens and dozens of attempts.

The open world version is harder, drops better versions of loot (Legendary Helmet of Bullshit instead of Helmet of Bullshit), doesn't have those easy mechanics, and is subject to all the competitive poopsocking and nerdrage that P99 raiding consists of for those who want it.

The instances are there for those who want to avoid it, and still want to play end game, but they don't get quite the level of uber gear and glory that the open world raiders achieve.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

hobocrunch posted:

Eh, you can do all this with zone lines that don't have loading screens- which is what they're doing.

Hmm, so what happens at the zoneline, do all the mobs just disappear from your screen? Can you still hit them from across the zone line? Can you like just run back and forth over it causing them to yo-yo?

I'm not sure how you make it work smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

PrinnySquad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0RlCrqbQXM

Chainmail and diaper sure is an aesthetic.

Asheron's Call is looking good.