Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jingleheimer posted:

In case you were wondering what to name your RTTS player, they went through the trouble to record first and last name audio for the name Bobson Dugnutt.

He can even be randomly generated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the cap system isn't explained that well. You have a max cap based on your archetype, which is the absolute highest you can ever get the stat barring equipment boosts. Then you have a current cap, which is how high the stat can go right now. You have to wait for the training that increases your current fastball caps.

Also maybe I'm just an idiot but I'll point it out for others because it took me ages to realize: you learn new pitches by scrolling down in the options, either in training or field drills I can't remember which. There's no indication you can scroll down but you can, and you'll get a list of "learn x pitch" with the caveat that you can only learn pitches that teammates know and have at a fairly high stat level; the idea being that you're "learning Kershaw's nasty curve/Miller's nasty slider/etc". Also maybe because of said narrative you can't learn new pitches until you make it to the majors.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been playing through RTTS and I reached a point where I just jacked up all of the sliders so that even as a like ~65 OVR I'm still launching balls 450+ feet

Maybe other people play it for different reasons but in RTTS I basically just want to be Barry Bonds and hit 5 dingers a game

:same: I'm garbage at hitting and really don't play online so I just jack the sliders up so my guy is insane. It helps that it's actually significantly easier to walk on lower difficulties in this year's version.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Waffles Inc. posted:

I wish there was just some sort of way to force a trade in RTTS; I know it's not "realistic" or whatever but gently caress it, I don't want to play for Dbacks

You can go into Options > Adjust Sliders and set Trade Frequency to max, then sim until you're traded. The caveat is that it increases trade frequency for everybody, so if you don't get moved quickly guys are going to be flying all over the place in the league.

Also there's a way you can kind of choose the team that drafts you (or at least give yourself some options) but it's fairly tedious:
1. Turn auto save after games on if it isn't already (pretty sure it's on by default)
2. Make a character, play your showcase games
3. If you don't like who drafted you, tell your coach "So what's next?", then “I could delay a year, huh?”, then “Yes I’ll wait and try my luck at next year’s draft.” Pick whatever development bonus you want, it doesn't matter.
4. Once you're dumped back in the locker room back out to the main menu and reload the save.
5. You'll immediately be put back into the draft, and can repeat steps 3 and 4 as much as you want until you get drafted by somebody you like.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

alpha_destroy posted:

Shane Greene or whoever the closer is.

Also, unrelated, it is absolute loving bullshit how often the CPU successfully picks you off. I don't even increase my lead at all and I swear it picks me off at will. Like, what the am I actually supposed to do? Not lead off at all?

It wouldn't piss me off so much if I could ever pick of the CPU myself.
Stealing/Not getting picked off in The Show 101:

1. Use analog baserunning controls, not buttons
2. Don't look at the pitcher. Seriously, he doesn't matter. Look at the catcher. If he moves, a pitch is going to be delivered which means you can try to steal. If he doesn't, there's going to be a pick off attempt
3. Hold the analog stick to the left at all times and take your lead. Watch the catcher. If a pick off attempt occurs in this time, you holding the stick to the left will cause you to dive back to the base and prevent the attempt every time unless you have a stupidly huge lead. Seriously if you do this it functionally makes it impossible for you to be picked off ever.
4. Rinse repeat until you see the catcher shift a bit. As soon as he moves, jam the stick to the right and you'll be able to steal. If you don't want to steal then just let go of the stick once the catcher moves.

As for picking the CPU off yourself as a pitcher, that is indeed bullshit luck. Only advice I can give is that if you quickly press R2 + Circle you do a "quick pick off" that works better if the runner has a huge lead, and if you hold R2 + Circle you do a "deceptive pick off" that can sometimes trick a runner closer to the bag into going. It doesn't make a huge difference in my experience, but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think it's L2, yeah. :downs:

• Locked thread