Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Episodes 4 and 5 are apparently out in :filez:-land so watch out for spoilers I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The very first scene of the show overtly establishes that we are not dealing with just any fuckin bear here

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost bear owns because Inuit mythology is super underutilized and badass.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh I guess the episodes leaked because Amazon Prime Japan or something put them online. According to Wikipedia, the rest of the series will be online tomorrow?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Octy posted:

Bugger me, I find this show to be unbearable to watch. It's not so much the violence, but the implied, always unexpected threat and the creeping claustrophobia of being trapped by the ice. But then, I've spoken to others about this show and none of them find it remotely scary.

I wouldn't say it's scary per se, but there's definitely a constant sense of dread that can be overwhelming. I think it would probably be too much if every character wasn't like "well that's what we signed up for, stiff upper lip boyos".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

May I also add this show makes me want to find out more of the sailor terminology and tech of the era. For example, double steering wheels with one guy in-between them, covered entrances to get below deck, and the whole discussion about what the dog's rank was was tops when I saw a chart somewhere that shows what a mess rankings was back then.

It's a bit earlier obviously, but the whole Aubrey-Maturin novel series (of which Master & Commander is a part, good movie also) is a crash course in all this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Christ ep 9 was hard to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Counterpoint: Inuit mythology is dope as poo poo, and the Tuunbaq added a sense of mystique, antagonism, and colour to a show that would otherwise have just been a depressing slog about a bunch of white men dying horribly. A few bad CG shots aside, the horror was very effective, and it legitimately heightened the overall feeling that they were treading in a place they had no right being in.

I have no opinion about the season 2 stuff yet, I've only seen the first episode, but Tuunbaq fuckin owned.