Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

Watched the first two episodes. Show looks really good.

Except for this. It's really not selling me on the cold. Everything on the ships looks great but outside not so much.

Those Peacoats are pure wool. Craftsmanship, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Victorian Hubris Level: 10/10

You can't freeze a stiff upper lip.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

I have decided that the monster attacking the ship is a Wampa

You haven't seen the size of a pre settler Polar bear.

They'd eat Wampas for brunch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

11 -12 foot tall easy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

11 -12 foot tall easy.

I feel like Joe Rogan.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

The very first scene of the show overtly establishes that we are not dealing with just any fuckin bear here

It's an upperty Spirit Bear.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quixotic1 posted:

May I also add this show makes me want to find out more of the sailor terminology and tech of the era. For example, double steering wheels with one guy in-between them, covered entrances to get below deck, and the whole discussion about what the dog's rank was was tops when I saw a chart somewhere that shows what a mess rankings was back then.

I can answer those questions. The reason for the double wheels are two fold. Steering is basically ropes wrapped around a barrel between the wheels, down to pulleys and on to the rudder. If you have a big loving wheel on one side of the barrel and tension from ropes away from the center, it creates torsion and the the deely is horribly unbalanced. The bigger the wheel, the bigger the barrel and the more wraps around it, creates a lot of fine adjustment.
Secondary it gives a boat two helmsman in bad weather or in an emergency, holding course in a storm with following seas or a crashing up and down big swell and your helmsman ends up banjaxed, you have a backup. Going beam on to the waves is pretty much game over. Hence why the rudders and steering systems where overbuilt like motherfuckers.

The hatch/companionway is to keep water out.

Naval ranks were a clusterfuck. I can't help. If you didn't have a stateroom, you didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread became G14 Classified real quick.