Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisDeckard
Mar 30, 2018

The Lore Explorer

Well, my first post did not go so well because I am a green P.O.S and was possibly/definitely dropped on my head as a child, so here goes a real attempt at making a proper forum post.

Hello and welcome to the DOOM 2016 Lore Explorer series. This is a new take on the Let's Play genre, mixing the fun, personality and gameplay side of Let's Playing and the interesting and intriguing side of Lore and History.

What, or better yet, Who is The Lore Explorer? I am Chris Deckard, the Historian and Explorer. I take snapshots of interesting things, talk about the significance of certain places and objects, find secrets in the game and point out interesting Easter Eggs. I absolutely love story telling, lore and game history and I love video games. I wanted to create an atmosphere of an Expeditionary team, with me as the leader traveling the digital worlds. My Discord is themed as a "Base Camp" and my style of commentary is themed that way as well. I've been trying to make it as "Exploratory" or "Expeditionary" as possible because I think it's a neat idea, a guy running around video game worlds with an A.I shouting at him and trying to learn and archive all the cool stuff that he finds.

It takes a lot of time to create each episode because of the extra flavor I've added into the mix known as A.R.C.I.S (Arcane Reconnaissance Central Intelligence System), the Artificial Intelligence I artificially made. I've edited in a Pseudo A.I to bring information to the screen and have a back and fourth conversation with. I give him voice commands and he takes pictures, records audio clips from the game, runs environmental scans so I can talk about the levels. It's all a flavor enhancer to the formula of Lore Exploring. I love stories, I love writing and I love video games, so this was the best way I could think of to bring something new to the table with my set of skills.

ONTO THE GAME

What is DOOM? Okay, do I really need to explain to everyone what DOOM is? The single most influential game in the VG industry? No, but I will. Doom was developed by id Software, and published by GT Interactive in 1993. It is without a doubt one of, if not the most influential and significant games to have ever been released. Today's FPS games, hell most PC games, can thank DOOM for pioneering the genre and platform. In DOOM you play as "Doom Guy" who goes around mercilessly slaughtering poor helpless demons, leaving a bloody wake of demon guts and badassitude in his wake. He can't be stopped not for you, or your mother. The only thing he cares about is his now ex-pet rabbit. Daisy.

But the game that I will be Lore Exploring is...

DOOM 2016.

In DOOM 2016 you take on the role of the "DOOM SLAYER," woken up from your nap after murdering demons through space and time, by a super smart robot guy named Dr. Samuel Hayden. Okay, so you weren't technically napping by choice. The demons were so scared of you they decided to set a trap and collapse a temple on your head, seal you in a sarcophagus and make sure no one ever touched it.

It's never officially stated whether or not the Doom Guy from the original games is the same one here, and I am inclined to believe he isn't, even though some people point out Quake Champions lore.

More importantly there is a crazy woman named Olivia Pierce, she made a deal with the Devil (she should have known better) for infinite power! Unsurprisingly they have reneged on their word and she is left to feel foolish and crippled due to her sudden onset of scoliosis. Yes that happened. Her ultimate goal is to tear open a portal to Hell and let the infinite swarm of demons overrun the UAC Base, and that is where we come in. We need to stop Olivia Pierce and push those demons back into the gaping vaginal crevasse they spawned from!

Now I could spend quite a few pages just explaining the characters and lore but that's what my LP series is for, so here you go.

EPISODE LIST

Episode 1 was where it all began, the idea, the spark. It's way different than the others, but still a fun introduction to my style. Personally I'd say Episode 3 Is where it really kicks off.

Episode 1: Let's Go On An Adventure

Episode 2 was not something I was particularly proud of, it was the first time I tried A.R.C.I.S and it just didn't come out quite as I wanted.

Episode 2: Meet The Players

Episode 3 was the first EP I really enjoyed and thought it was coming together. Probably my favorite one so far.

Episode 3: The Foundry Trial

Episode 4 was where I was trying some new things with A.R.C.I.S, I was pretty happy with this one as well.

Episode 4: Dr.Hayden Seems Maad

Episode 5, there was a bit of trouble with the recording which forced my to play the level twice, I wasn't happy and I was only mildly okay with the results.

Episode 5: Opening The Portal

Episode 6, things are going smoothly and I am feeling more confident, a pretty decent episode, some new things were introduced here.

Episode 6: Hell is Lovely This Time of Year

As a note, the series isn't finished, so all your feedback and criticism gets added into each new episode so don't be afraid of telling me how much one thing or another sucks. I'm an artist, I can take the criticism.

I've created a public Discord (Please don't hock your discord here) for people to come by and chat about their favorite stories, anime, books, video games, movies, whatever you enjoy.
In the future I hope to have a great community of people who are passionate about their favorite mediums and enjoy talking and sharing what they love about them.

I update the series every two days, the next EP is due out tomorrow, so I will be working on EP 8 soon. If you find anything that sucks horribly or even something that you like, let me know and I can work with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisDeckard
Mar 30, 2018

The Lore Explorer
I see a lot of people posting a reservation, so, I guess so.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, let me crack out the rule book here, shall I?

Fedule posted:

Rules for posting LPs:
  1. No YouTube dumps or reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already started elsewhere if it's a significant way through already. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around.

So that's swing-and-a-miss. Strike two.

• Locked thread