Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Coohoolin posted:

yeah yeah I play mandolin, very funny, etc. I just wanted to pop this here as I think some of you might enjoy it, it's probably my favourite thing I've recorded with this band so far. A Graham Moore classic, Tom Paine's Bones.

https://soundcloud.com/cominupthrees/tom-paines-bones

Sorry I only listen to a fusion of dubstep, psytrance and the tortured screams of the bourgoisie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a Subway voucher book through the door on Saturday. I can feed 2 for £5. I am feeling pretty classy right now.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The beeb are such shite. Top story today: repeating the Times 'hate factory' stuff verbatim, complete with no actual examples of hateful posts but trust us thousands exist they're everywhere. And to top it off the 'analysis' remarking that the breaking of this story now 'makes a bad Easter Sunday for Labour' without any mention of how this campaign to mark Labour as antisemitic is clearly coordinated across the right wing media for the local elections.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

They really are giving this poo poo a full court press. How many more days have they spent on this than they spent on cambridge analytica by now?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

The beeb are such shite. Top story today: repeating the Times 'hate factory' stuff verbatim, complete with no actual examples of hateful posts but trust us thousands exist they're everywhere. And to top it off the 'analysis' remarking that the breaking of this story now 'makes a bad Easter Sunday for Labour' without any mention of how this campaign to mark Labour as antisemitic is clearly coordinated across the right wing media for the local elections.

Well, I mean, the beeb is part of that rightwing media, so how is this surprising?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I enjoyed this, good job. You're no Chris Thile but you can play a mandolin

e: Now cover a couple Bad Religion songs (Sorrow pls)

Tbf no one is Chris Thile, the man is a freak of nature.

Cheers, we've got some punkier ideas brewing there. My bouzouki player was a founding member of Toxik Ephex, we've got some ideas.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

Tbf no one is Chris Thile, the man is a freak of nature.

Cheers, we've got some punkier ideas brewing there. My bouzouki player was a founding member of Toxik Ephex, we've got some ideas.

I'm not kidding by the way. There's black metal with a banjo which is freaking rad, so why not black metal with a mandolin? It's truly the most diverse artform out there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Of course the rightwing media is also staffed entirely by idiot hacks who are both unable to comprehend that this poo poo won't work anymore and unable to do anything except double down on it, so there's that.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It's just so loving tiring.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not kidding by the way. There's black metal with a banjo which is freaking rad, so why not black metal with a mandolin? It's truly the most diverse artform out there.

Tremolo picking is very large technique in mandolin playing because the instrument has almost no sustain. I'm sure there's some folky black metal dudes using mandolins and lutes, but it's probably a bit tricky to do with a (soon to be trio, getting a bodhrán in) duo playing mandolin and bouzouki.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TomViolence posted:

It's just so loving tiring.

The trick is to read this stuff and think about how loving cool it would be if it were true.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
A left wing leader who the press weren't dedicating their power to crush wouldn't be one worth having, I've decided.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

jabby posted:

The beeb are such shite. Top story today: repeating the Times 'hate factory' stuff verbatim, complete with no actual examples of hateful posts but trust us thousands exist they're everywhere.

They do exist, because this type of poo poo is part of what drove me out of being active in the trade union movement. Just because some useless opportunists are taking this opportunity to go after Corbyn does not mean anti-semitism is fake or that it's all a big shadowy conspiracy. It's possible to support Corbyn and push forward without denying the problems faced by Jewish people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thorsilver posted:

They do exist, because this type of poo poo is part of what drove me out of being active in the trade union movement. Just because some useless opportunists are taking this opportunity to go after Corbyn does not mean anti-semitism is fake or that it's all a big shadowy conspiracy. It's possible to support Corbyn and push forward without denying the problems faced by Jewish people.

It bears repeating, there is definitely anti-semitism in left wing politics.That there's far more of it in the right wing doesn't mean we should brush it under the table. Howevert would be nice if just occasionally the Beeb actually looked like it was doing balanced reporting.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Easter Sunday? Nah, a 9 hour shift for me today. As soon as I get home,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

CptAwesome posted:

Easter Sunday? Nah, a 9 hour shift for me today. As soon as I get home,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

...SPACE!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I saw half the new Ricky Gervais netflix show last night and it's absolutely dire

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Braggart posted:

I marched at Trans Pride in Edinburgh yesterday, and it was pretty awesome. The police estimated about 400 people marched, and if anything turnout was probably depressed by the weather and by people just not knowing it was going to happen, given it was Scotland's first ever trans pride march. After a social nearby, we joined the main crowd on the Royal Mile, then marched to the Scottish Parliament, then around part of Holyrood Park to finish at the John McIntyre Conference Centre, where a bunch of workshops were held. As a newby enby, it was a lot of fun hanging out. So much colourful hair!

This is good to hear! I didn't do this year's one as I am still inside a few closets irl but hopefully next year it will be at least 401. Btw given all the trans chat yesterday I should probably mention there are a couple of trans threads hidden away on This Very Website if that's a thing anyone wants to look at.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thorsilver posted:

True enough, but it's more that I'd prefer to see references and stats on the "hate farms". I do hope that Anti-Semitism is manoeuvred out of Labour, though the practise of doing that will probably be very hard.

Does anyone have any experience of Anti-Semitism in labour and how/what to do in those instances?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

Anti-semitism is a society wide thing. It's not confined to Labour. Or Labour supporters. They can and should make it unacceptable. But that won't stop people on the street from being anti-semitic. That's why this new bullshit is so outrageous. They're trying to make Labour the nasty party. When the actual issue is that the UK is a nasty country with a nasty population. Isn't it just wonderful that we've confined this horrible bigotry to a political party. Why if Labour disbanded, anti-semitism in the UK would be ended forever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

I saw half the new Ricky Gervais netflix show last night and it's absolutely dire

That was a worse decision than riding out that hurricane.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

Jose you could have been playing Stellaris or insocuiantly sitting out natural disasters or something, why did you do that to yourself

EDIT - ^^^^ lol

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Jose posted:

Someone sounds...

offended :smuggo:

*ricky checks a box on a form and moves on to next google search result*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i was round friends to watch the anthony joshua fight and they had it on before. even ignoring everything thats been said about him picking easy targets to offend people and not actually being funny he does a huge amount of setup that its hard to tell if he's just talking about stuff that matters to him leading to a poo poo joke. it was very much the stand up set of someone who hasn't spent time doing shows to work out whats funny and cut out the bits that aren't

he does admit during it though that david brent is actually him though i don't think he actually realises that he does. i caught the second half so didn't see any of the stuff picking on trans people or whatever

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, I mean, the beeb is part of that rightwing media, so how is this surprising?

I know it's the day for it, but don't be a fool.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

HJB posted:

I know it's the day for it, but don't be a fool.

You're right - the news outlet that's displayed repeated and overt rightwing bias in its political reporting surely can't be counted as rightwing media.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

thorsilver posted:

The point is the actual offensive posts are a minority and are swiftly removed by moderators. One of the groups has near 70k members and if you log in at 3am there will be maybe five problematic posts and four of those will be blatant trolls or bots regurgitating the same thing every day. By 7am those posts are gone and you'll get a couple people asking why they were removed by people who swiftly throw in slurs and end up getting kicked from the group for posting "lolz triggered libtards". Every so often you'll get a longer post where someone blabbers on for ten paragraphs or so on a subject they feel passionate about and drops a mindfuck of a slur or misdirected rant in the middle that takes a few days to spot. People are working to stamp out bigotry on the left every single day but it's a never ending challenge.

The worst cases of anti-semitism I've seen have been from libdems. Specifically a welsh guy whose kid sister was killed in a bombing nearly two decades ago and he blames Israel for it to the point where every time he gets drunk he starts ranting about nuking zionists. Meanwhile you have more right wingers going to nazi theme parties, calling for the castration of the lower classes, asking if the unemployed and disabled deserve the right to vote, calling left wing Jews "kapos", and cheering on the Israeli military as it guns down fleeing civilians. Those are just examples from the past few weeks and they never even try to hide it.

On the same topic, is there any legal recourse for members of these groups to sue the papers pushing this story? Imagine working in an office where facebook usage is permitted on break and you suddenly get called in by your boss for visiting a hate speech group when they find "we support jeremy corbyn" in your internet history.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Not Operator posted:

Someone sounds...

offended :smuggo:

*ricky checks a box on a form and moves on to next google search result*

On a related matter, while not entirely false in all contexts I guess, the poo poo people justify with that stephen fry quote about not caring about people offended should make him liable for some number of weeks of some kind of community service

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Conservatives are going to be up poo poo creek when the Times discovers it's own comments section.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Conservatives are going to be up poo poo creek when the Times discovers it's own comments section.

Nah, that's freeze peach because they are commenters on their website, while Jeremy Corbyn is Labour leader.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
misc facebook groups being a hive of scum and villainy is not something I question, tbh

the take-home here should really be that John McDonnell MP should not let his staff add him to the member lists of uncontrollable groups + the party should devote more resources to a social media team that can monopolise the largest groups through superior resourcing and nonetheless enforce the party line du jour with a whip hand. Dirtbag left activists are useful but they must always be a deniable resource, not a route up the org ranks

if you think this coverage is bad, anway, wait till the CLP motions in response to the past week start hitting the press. the party will have its hands full just doing damage control

e.g. https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...4b0f112dc9c121c

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/980393999063289856

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jBrereton posted:

Izzard was not voted into his position and there should be an extraordinary election so he gets nowhere near power, imo.
drag this car crash out even longer. what’s the worst that could happen?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

state of this oval office in the comments

https://twitter.com/Iagos_monster/status/980400130699464704

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lol actually "the tories are upfront about being racist and homophobic". Amazing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's OK to be racist if people expect you to be a racist and you don't correct them

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

He identifies as an "Alt-Centrist" so haha.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also "not running on a kinder gentler platform" is an interesting way of looking at david hamerons explicit attempts to detoxify the nazi party

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Not Operator posted:

He identifies as an "Alt-Centrist" so haha.

lol he also appended an ian mccoll lyric to that, what a scum bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Angepain posted:

This is good to hear! I didn't do this year's one as I am still inside a few closets irl but hopefully next year it will be at least 401. Btw given all the trans chat yesterday I should probably mention there are a couple of trans threads hidden away on This Very Website if that's a thing anyone wants to look at.

I hope you feel able to exit those closets at some point :)

• Locked thread