Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I didn't clean the covers/"heat tents" but there was never much directly on the supporting hardware and that's what was lost. And usually just scrubbed the grates with the wire brush to get all particulates off, and they were in good enough shape, though some rust had started on the edges... Still, a good point. I'll have to do that moving forward. Thanks.

They do make replacement heat tent/spreader things. "Universal, meaning they don't really fit, but better than broken/missing. The one on my grilled burned up within a year. Replacement is OK-ish. I've also already replaced the burner from Amazon. Replacement burners at Lowe's/Home Despot were 2/3 the price I paid for the grill ($109 - it was the least expensive grill with an aluminum body, now discontinued, of course.) Replacement burner is better (thicker, stainless steel) but judging by the flames the holes are starting to open up on it, too. Eventually, I'll need to throw down on an actually good grill, I guess. May try making my own burners out of Schedule 40 stainless pipe or something first.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Do what you can here:

https://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com

I bought a Weber Genesis LX 3 burner natural gas grill and I have loved it. Igor the stainless model. The grates are stainless steel too and it has a closed cabinet on the bottom. With all the grilling I do now with my wife’s dietary needs I’m using it two or three times a week. With the natural gas it has no problem getting up to 650+* and it is easy to cook with direct or indirect heat. Just the right amount of cooking area for a pretty good spread too.
Buy the cover. It is 100% necessity for maintaining a nice looking grill.

...Pretty sure I will never be in a position to spend $1200 on a loving grill. I can step up from my $100 shitbox, but not quite that much.
I actually have a gas line outside, but it was disconnected before I bought the house. There was a natural gas grill mounted by the patio, but it was burnt out, rusted, and had been used as a charcoal grill after the gas was cut.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-3034502-Glue-Sticks-45Count/dp/B06X1CZWC5

The original Gorilla Glue and the tape are useful. The other stuff they make is OK, I guess. No better than the competition, really, though their bottles are good insofar as they use appropriate caps and such to keep clogging to a minimum.

QuarkMartial posted:

Did thistothat.com get posted or did I miss it?

Holy gently caress. <bookmarked>

Nylon is...special.

Yeah it is. Part of the reason it's used where it's used is its slippery nature.
Polypropylene plastics in cars are also a pain in the dick when it comes to paint and adhesives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

That loving blows, man. Dash cam catch it at least?

Larrymer posted:

drat, hope you're alright. Did you get the guy's license plate number or anything? That's quite lovely.

Since he seems to be busy, yeah, his dash cam caught it. He pinged me on Messenger this morning, and was on the phone to the trash truck company at the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sorry about the triple post, but my company took Monday off (instead of Good Friday) so I went to the nearly-deserted theater and saw Ready Player One and Pacific Rim 2.
I knew Ready Player One was aiming to mine my nostalgia, and I was OK with that. I am absolutely square in the target demographic age group for what they were dishing out. I loved it. Story was nothing world shaking, but it was gorgeous, and I had a ball noting all the references. Still missed a pile, like where the outfit Parcival was wearing in the nightclub scene came from, though I think that was mainly because I had to go pee when they apparently did the costume change scene.
I was gratified to note not only the Delorean, Akira's bike, and Bigfoot in the initial race, but also the '66 Batmobile, and the Mad Max Interceptor. I missed that there was also Christine, the A-Team van, and a variation on the Mach 5 in there as well. Also, the Delorean has a KITT scanner on the front.
SO MANY movie and video game characters, weapons, and vehicles in the climactic battle. Others just wandering around in the lobby areas of the world.
I won't lie - I want to live in Oasis. They are absolutely correct in how it will go down if such a thing ever actually exists.
The hosed up thing is that, logically, he should have hit the big red button and shut it all down, to force people to address problems in the real world.
I will, in all likelihood, buy a Blu-Ray of this.

Pacific Rim 2 was a solid sequel. Again, fairly standard story. Absolutely beautiful. Some nice twists on the bad guys, and, of course, giant robots fighting. No real complaints.

I got exactly what I expected out of both - action, adventure, eye candy hung on a fairly simple/conventional story. Definitely worth the matinee price.

Still need to see Black Panther, and I think I'll actually see Wrinkle In Time on matinee as well.

InitialDave posted:

Huh. Tried to leave work, Zoe is stone dead. Won't even light the dash up.

I had to use the little emergency key hidden in the remote to get in it, but there's no ignition switch as such, and it's not recognising the keyless fob. About the only thing that's working is the release button for the charge port.

Currently sat waiting for the recovery people.

There's *no* manual key slot anywhere? That's stupid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I also enjoyed both films, especially the huge number of references in RPO. Though Pacific Rim 2 had a few nods to anime stuff in there as well.

Well, yeah. I mean, how could you make a Giant Robot Movie without doing so, even inadvertently? :)

quote:

Yeah, it's annoying. Though I'm not sure having a key switch would do anything in this instance. My suspicion is the 12v battery has died.

OK, but what about in the case of the car being fine, but your fob being poo?

I watched a video a few years ago by the Applied Science, he talked about this adhesives and polypropylene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQp04glQqc

If you can't watch the video, he mentiones that the Devcon "Cream" colored plastic welder is the only one he's found that really works for him for that plastic

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-22045-Plastic-Welder-Dev-Tube/dp/B003NUGL9S/

Oo, thanks for that.

Also, zip tie guns are v. handy. I have a cheap one that works fine. No tension adjustment, though.

edit: actually, the application instructions for Devcon specifically state that "does not bond to Polyethylene or Polypropylene Plastics."
He says the 3M Scotchweld 8005 is for polyethylene, though. One of the comments says "you can buy a super glue activator/etch product that enables normal cyanoacrylate to bond to polyolefins like polyethylene and polypropylene, much more cost effective."

ilkhan posted:

I saw RP1 on Saturday and also quite liked it. I know a lot of the references I missed, being a smidge too young for it, but loved the ones I did get.

Also they shut it down Tuesday and Thursday specifically do people could enjoy the real world a bit.

Oh, I know, but a YT vid made the case he really should have done it the other way, and logically, was not wrong.

quote:

Also I like how they changed the challenges from the books. The new ones made sense and saved a lot of tedium time wasting that existed in the books that would not have translated well.

Haven't read the book. It's on my list.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Black Panther loving owns. Wrinkle In Time... ehhhh. It's not bad but it's also not all that good either.

So I hear. My brother in law is a WIT fanatic, and really wouldn't be happy if the script wasn't exactly like the book, but he... didn't hate it. For reference, he absolutely hated the previous attempt, which of course anyone who ever read the book would. This attempt was light years better, according to him.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 4, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

New star wars makes more sense when you realize that Kylo Ren is every die-hard star wars fanboy ever.

Holy poo poo. That's brilliant.

ilkhan posted:

Yes, let's fight like maniacs to save the super powerful virtual world system just to irreversibly turn it off. Brilliant plan!

Well, there's that, yes, but arguably they were sticking their collective heads in the sand and giving up. The Tuesday Friday thing was a decent compromise, I guess. Also, I actually forgot that it would be permanent.

Rhyno posted:

This is absolutely true.

So is this.

But I still thought it was a crappy flick.

You also didn't like Ready Player One, so your opinions are suspect. Though that could be because of your very close proximity to the worst members of the target audience, until recently, maybe.

edit: just to be clear,

Fermented Tinal posted:

You are completely allowed to have that opinion.
This is true as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

I think I did lunch wrong today :(

Yes, you bought ersatz "chocolate".

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think that the C6 is vastly better looking than the C5. A C5 Z06 is an incredible value right now and hard to argue with.

So Mrs Heroic went to visit the parents for a couple of days and let me catch up on some house projects and spring cleaning. I’ve been tackling the garage at night to make it a haven again.

Why do we as humans keep around boxes? I got rid of the original boxes of so many things. I finally rid myself of the box from our TV. It had the base (tv is wall mounted). Why have I hung on to that for almost five years? I’m never going to table top mount the TV. It’s not going to get taken back to the store. It took up space for five years. Throwing it out felt good.

I have this problem. I really need to go through the attic and chuck the boxes for everything I don't still own. In some cases, it's nice to be able to box poo poo up when selling or moving it, but if you don't plan on doing either, chuck that box after the store return period is up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I keep boxes for Bad Obsession-style CAD work, spray painting stuff in/on, and sending out parcels.

Oh, I have a literal box of boxes in the garage for that. Plain brown shipping boxes of all sizes, mostly, but that pile I can put out for recycling without qualm if I need the space in the garage. This is seperate from the original packaging for my electronics and such. It's mostly toys and electronics I keep the packaging for. Other boxes, especially shipping boxes, go out into the box of boxes, or, right now, since that box is full, straight to the recycling.
I *am* actually working to declutter a bit. I mean, I sold an RX-7 a few months ago, and traded another! Down to 5, now. Picked up that AE86 I traded the '7 for, though. Still a net decrease!
Oh, and selling 2 of my 12A engine kegs as well.

ebay SUCKS! i HATE ebay

Sometime, yes. It's definitely not as good as it was back near the beginning. Too many people just drop shipping crap from China, and thinking their turds are golden. Listen, you dingleberries: I'm not going to pay retail from some rando with a week's shipping when I can get it from Amazon for $2 more, with Prime shipping.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

'sup.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fridge corn posted:

not much u?

Eh, another day. Not bad. Nothing special.

Adiabatic posted:

Everyone should get Pulsar, btw

Got one. Similar to this one, actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar_(watch)

everdave posted:

ok threw the boxes away now what

Oh, uh... hmm. Go through your closets and donate anything you don't/can't wear any more?

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm not a hoarder, I'm just incredibly lazy.

A little of column A, a little of column B.
In my defense, I don't generally keep useless things, like old newspapers or magazines (OK, I keep a small pile of newspaper for masking things, but only about an 8" stack or so.) Trying to figure out what exactly to do with old car magazines that I legitimately kept for the articles and features, but now don't need thanks to the Internet. Those are at least in magazine organizers on bookshelves. I keep stuff for parts, refurbishing, and eventual use. Have to make some hard decisions about what to keep some days, though.

At a certain point, for example, I'm going to have to decide if I will ever build the unbuilt model kits I have, or if I should just sell them. The good news is that a lot of them are OOP and/or vintage now, and therefore worth at least what I paid for them adjusted, if not more (a lot more, in some cases, it looks like.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Easily my favorite part about cheese is how it never expires

You just carve off the greener bits.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

:siren: Incoming STR-sized megapost!:siren:

iwentdoodie posted:

Just found this in my tool box :v:

Mine (and several of the jackstands) is on my desk.

No seriously who the gently caress uses SAE :v:

Those of us who work on classic 'MERICAN MUSCLE.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Definitely not enjoying the harsh ride, but it's the Pro-4X, which has a pretty beefy suspension (and according to Nissan's website, Bilstein shocks), and an electronic locker. I have no loving clue why they'd be renting out 4x4s at a very suburban location, but there ya have it. It's from out of state, so maybe they do things differently where it normally resides.

Well, we are in Texas. If you don't drive a giant pickup or bloated "C"UV (they ain't all that compact any more), you get run over by bros, cowboys, and soccer moms.
Ask me how fun it is to drive the AE86 in traffic. not that bad, really. It's agile, and traffic is pretty slow, so I can keep up.

quote:

No joke there. When they picked me up, my first reaction was ".... I asked for a small car". Second was "seriously? the same color as my car?!".

When they got me to the office to do paperwork, I asked if they had anything smaller. They walked me out back and showed me a collection of CUVs and SUVs, and said they had absolutely zero cars of any type. I kept the truck, by that point I'd realized it'll be handy to haul a bumper back from the JY (if I find another suburban apathy one with the fog light cutouts, anyway).

I intend to use "suburban apathy" as a color name forever going forward, now.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't really figure out how to get it to go into 4x4 either. I can flip the knob over to 4x4 Hi or Lo, but the dash indicator just keeps flashing. I'm guessing I have to do some kind of Konami code (or at least put it in park first).
That. You have to stop, usually.

quote:

Kinda curious what the "hill descent" button does too.
Depends on the truck, but usually sets up the transmission for lots of engine braking, and keeps it in a low gear. Some will automatically apply the brakes.
You could read the owner's manual. I'm betting it's in the glovebox.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No owner's manual in it (but there's a pre delivery manual in the glovebox intended for the lot porters :lol:).

Never mind about the manual, then.

dee eight posted:

I have an Airfix battleship Graf Spee 1/600 that I never put together. Looks like about 40 bux max value.
The last one I glued together was the USS New Jersey when I was a kid. I sank it soon after, in a kiddies wading pool, with an m-80
Mine are almost all car models.
I have an OOP Tamiya series 3 RX-7 that's apparently a bit valuable, and a couple of variations of the Mach Go Go Go Mach 5 from a defunct manufacturer. Mostly a bunch of '80s and '90s vintage Revell, MPC, and Monogram kits, and a scattering of '80s-'90s robot kits (mostly Japanese kits repackaged as Revell "Robotech" kits.) I have, liteally, an entire 4' x 6' x 16" metal shelving unit full of model kits, plus a footlocker. I still want to build this stuff, but the *time*... and I'm afraid that by the time I retire I won't have the eyesight or hands to do it.
Oh, I also have a few vintage spaceship kits - including an original NCC-1701 Enterprise. That one was already started when I got it, so value is decreased.

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo. I just got soft offered a promotion (pending HR agreement) that comes with a massive pay bump.

I'm 3 days shy of 90 days here.

Holy poo poo.

Congrats!
Meanwhile, I'm a permanent contractor, whatever that is poo poo. Will have been here a year in 22 days (I know that because of password reset emails.)
Frustrating. Mostly because healthcare with the company that's contracting me out is hella expensive, and I get no holiday , vacation, or sick time pay... and my host company takes *12* holidays a year. That's $2400 down the drain every year, unless I work 10 hour days, which there isn't enough work to do, really. On the flipside, it's remarkably stress-free, and I work with good folks. I don't want to upset that balance by bitching about not being hired perm. Argh.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Turns out most of the time all you need is a pulse and more than two braincells.

...and it's surprising how many employees *don't* seem to have one or the other.

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo, are you literally me? My unbuilt 1/48 aircraft and space collection has been moved to 5-6 times in 20 years. I have a couple beauties though, but I just know my skill won't do them justice. :(
As noted above, mine are mostly cars, but, yeah, they've moved with me several times. I'm actually not a bad builder, and used to build a lot more, I just ran out of time during college, then the Internet happened, then life and marriage and job and real cars and a house and a kid... but mostly the Internet. On the plus side, it's a lot easier to get the aftermarket detail parts and such now, not to mention reference photos, paints, etc. Back in the day, you hoped you could find a decent hobby shop, or ordered out of the model magazines.

bolind posted:

TT that's a great quote. There's also an excellent negotiation thread in BFC (disclaimer, I helped write the OP.)

TLDR: Good people are hard to find and even harder to retain.

Oo, thanks. Bookmarked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

happy friday everyone, have a listen to one of the best mashups you'll ever hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Upzye9Ctw

That's pretty good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Half off weekend at Pick n Pull.

Couldn't find a matching fender or bumper (in fact they only had one coupe that had the bumper still on it, but it's the right one w/fogs... just orange. don't have the money right now tho).

I'll probably wind up ordering new headlights once I get the insurance check.

If you want to try respraying the bumper, I have gear to do it (HF HVLP gun and a big-rear end compressor). A quart of paint and reducer will probably run you almost $100 though.
MAybe try Row 52 to see if someone has a silver Suburban Apathy bumper: http://row52.com

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The best review of RP1 described it along the lines of: if you're young enough to enjoy the plot, you won't get half the references. If you're old enough for the references, you have better things to do.

I enjoy schlock, especially Spielberg shlock (the terminal is a fav of mine) but I will be skipping what I perceive to be peak wankbait, RP1.

I'm sorry you can't enjoy stupid fun things.

InitialDave posted:

I liked it, but for the same reasons I enjoyed the book: I knew exactly what I was going to get, I like the references to all the old nerd poo poo, and I don't particularly care about the problems with it.

Because that.

Saturday, I replaced the peashooter muffler shop and cheese emporium muffler on the AE86 with a Flowmaster I found in the parking lot at work (no, really. Somebody did an awful job welding, and apparently just shrugged and left it there when it fell off. From the grinding marks on the pipe, it had been dragging for some time). Sunday. I pulled the engine out of my '79 RX-7 to sell to a friend, along with another broke 12A I have. He's trying to cobble up enough 12A bits to make one good engine. This after mowing the lawn and edging, and pulling said RX-7 out of the side yard with the AE86. I hurt. Not a lot, but enough, and we didn't get finished pulling the engine until after midnight, when I have to get up at 6:30 for work. So, I hurt and I'm tired. And old. I'm old. (ouch)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

It is currently snowing and there is snow on the frozen ground
Wednesday is supposed to be just under 70°
Somehow

I hate this so much

It was 36 goddamned US degrees late last week, and 40s this past weekend. In Texas in April.
I hate it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Any war that involves CA vs TX will be a sad and short war for Texas, so keep your powder dry, friend, and your Golden State liberators will be there soon. I'll put in a good word for you.

How do you figure that? We have ALL the guns.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CA has ALL the money and 1/8th the population of the US, though. And money buys drones, and drones supercede your AR-15.

Well, yes, but they're mostly limp-wristed liberal pansies, right? That's what I've been led to believe.
I'm joking - don't hurt me.

Yes, but we have maps of Texas.

You *think* you do. We move everything every few months, and don't tell anyone outside the state.

The Door Frame posted:

And we haven't spent +40 years bombing them, so the locals won't despise us

Actually, about that last part...

nm posted:

We'll just nuke them from orbit. Ever heard of Lawrence Livermore and Jet Propulsion labs? Areojet isn't closing for a bit too. We also have some big Northrop and Lockheed operations We don't need no guns. Hell Lawrence Livermore probably can just aim a big laser at Texas.

I'm not sure what you think is in Texas, or that it's all desert or something, but we do actually grow food and stuff here. We have a near-rainforest on the eastern edge. Only the west bit is a desert.
Also, we have Lockheed, Texas Instruments, and the bit of Lockheed that used to be General Dynamics, not to mention NASA. And oil. We have a bit of that.

I... can't really speak about the tacos, because somehow I managed to never get a Taco while in Cali. I am ashamed.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 10, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

I'd be down for all those fucks to fly that one instead.

If only.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Don't think I've mentioned it here yet, but the 20+ year old JL Audio 10" sub I put in the Crown Vic now has a rattle at low volumes (and probably at high volumes, too - you just can't hear it then). Foam surround looks OK, so I bet the suspension at the bottom of the cone took a dump. I'm hoping it just came unglued and I can fix it. If not, :rip: I bought the thing used from a customer when I worked at a stereo shop in the late '90s, and it lived, unused, in my garage pretty much from then until I put it in the Vic, because I didn't have anything with a trunk, and it needs a 1.5 cu. ft. box. I am completely amazed that the foam didn't disintegrate immediately on firing it up.
Ah, well. I want to step up to 2 10s or 12s anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

The best GW game is not even under their control anymore so :colbert:

I am of course talking about Blood Bowl. I never forgave GW for killing Gorkamorka off so soon.

Oh, hey, I have that video game! :smug:
(really! like, 1994 or something?)
edit: close. 1995. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Bowl_(1995_video_game)

Oh, they have a new one for the current gen consoles and PC!
http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/
Released in 2015. Wow, I missed that, along with the earlier PC and console versions from the same studio.

I'll bet the video game is cheaper than the tabletop, all in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

It seems to vary wildly by region. Any part that is common across every year seems to be common enough, various year-range specific poo poo gets a little more finicky. I've only ordered a handful of things through a dealership and there are a lot of NOS OEM parts on ebay.

May I also suggest https://www.megazip.net
They have parts diagrams and source parts from JP and the UAE. I haven't actually bought any parts from them yet, but they have a bunch of bits that Toyota USA doesn't have. Shipping from JP to US is a bit of change, though. $30 worth of parts, $30 shipping... but they actually have the temperature control cable from my AE86, a common failure point, and some interior trim clips/brackets and bits.
Toyota USA does still have a surprising amount of stuff from a 30 year old car. Not sure about other countries, of course.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Sell it as a going concern, part it out (not likely with apartment situation), or just keep driving it.

Yeah, sell it for $500 as-is where-is to someone who only cares if it will run for a year. The alignment may actually be fixable with "problem solver" bolts depending on how bad it really is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Both are bent, so is the apron.

I may do that, though I can't get the hood to close properly with both headlights on the car.

OK, you're going to need two chains, a tree, and another car...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

One chain, a tree, and some gumption.

Or a 4x4 pickup, a chain, and some blankets laying on said chain. I watched that get done at the dirt track, pulled a 3" bend out of a frame. Then the chain snapped.

I straightened the forward "frame" crossmember on my Cherokee using my oak tree and a ratchet strap, just enough to get a replacement bumper on (previous owner hit something dead center and flattened the bumper.) I used a ratchet strap because I didn't have a come along, but I still used a cargo blanket draped over the strap. Seen too many videos.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I love tow capacity conspiracy theories, I even kind of believe them when looking at the numbers. The 1.5L Toyota Yaris with its weak rear end engine is rated for 1500lbs in the UK, but isn't rated for any weight at all in the US. Most tiny econoboxes are rated for about 1000-1500lbs in the UK, but even small trucks and SUV's are barely rated for 2000lbs in the US

I think the prevailing theory on that is partially due to the prevalence of high speed highways in the US versus the UK, and possibly the litigious environment in the US.

As far as small pickup availability, a young friend of mine was talking about this. His '80s B2000 got wiped out by an inattentive driver, so he was looking at getting a replacement. His dad was being a dick about him buying a used car, so he was looking for a new Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder single cab 4x4. He was having difficulty finding anything. They all seemed to V6 4-doors, with prices approaching a full-sized Tundra, enough so that you would be stupid to not just step up to a Tundra. A coworker had the same issue with Chevy's Colorado. Sort of a chicken and egg problem. Dealers don't order base model 4-bangers because people don't buy them, but they can't buy them because no one has them. Cheap gas doesn't help.
I definitely don't want to pay $35K for a "small" pickup, not even getting into the fact that the Tacoma and Colorado aren't really that much smaller than their full-sized equivalent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Small basic pickup trucks are the best kind because how often do you really need to haul 5k pounds of poo poo in the bed or pull a 10k trailer. My Dad was down a year or so ago and used the Courier for running around while he was in town. The second he heard I was thinking about selling it he asked how much then wrote a check for it. That stupid little thing is a beast.

I get a lot of looks, and poo poo, for towing with my golf but it works great and in Europe it isn't unusual at all. I have a basic class 1 receiver but I've had it loaded down several times and it's performed great while still getting 40+ mpg.

I have a class 3 on my Crown Vic. It's V8 and perimeter frame. As long as I don't overload the rear springs, it'll be fine. Not going to be towing a 17' car trailer with a car on it or anything. Funnily enough, my 2.5L Jeep Cherokee was rated for higher loads, despite being unibody and 2.5L, thanks to leaf springs. That thing once towed a HF 4x8 trailer full of 3 layers of pavers. It towed it just fine. Stopping was... well, it required pre-planning, because that little poo poo just flat out didn't weigh enough, and the trailer would shove the thing across an intersection with the brakes locked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

But you don't really drive that fast, and the average annual mileage people drive is little different.

The average US highway is little different to a UK motorway, really.

Well, *I* don't drive that fast when towing, but you should see some of the idiots out there on the highway.
An, no, a US highway isn't really any different from a motorway, but we ha a whole lot more of them. Whether that figures in, I'm not sure. Your previous post is probably closer to the truth.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, its whatever for me but man I am not looking forward to two days of bitching the household is gonna do. :(

Tell them that they are welcome to contribute for the unlimited plan.

Seminal Flu posted:

There's money that's already been paid, and not delivered. And now we're charged more for it. :911:

Yeah, that's the part that steams me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tonight's the night, boys.

For what?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Some classless gently caress stole the ezpass transponder from my car last night.

I just found out because I went through a toll, the bells went off, and a state trooper nicked me. I'm now late as hell to work. Great.

Thankfully (as much as I can be thankful for toll roads, anyway) Texas toll roads managed by NTTA will use your license plate if there's no transponder. In fact, one of them accept actual money any more. They'll mail you a bill if you don't have a toll tag.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

Finland has 2-day mullets? Awesome!

Seriously looking forward to pictures, though. What motor? Carbureted 305? V6? I4? The terrible engine options are endless! (Hoping for a FI 350 with a manual)

Oh, dear God, I almost forgot they did those with the Iron Duke. First time I saw one I was aghast.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Applies to entire property, but inside a building is probably ok. Don't have a building. Tent style carports run afoul of a different bylaw iirc.

Generally speaking, if it can't be seen from the street (and the neighbors don't bitch) it doesn't exist, but I'm speaking from a USA (Texas) urban experience.
I've had two Mazda RX-7s in my side yard behind a privacy fence for a decade.
"Had". One actually made it's way back to the driveway, and I pulled the engine out of the other over the weekend to hopefully combine the two.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slurry_curry posted:

Yup, used teflon tape. Possibly too much? I don't know if thats possible, but I was pretty pissed by the time I got the new pipe last night, so I am probably going to go take it all apart and put it back together, just to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up in my haste. Maybe I wrapped it on counter clockwise? Again, no idea if that would really matter.

I don't know what "pipe dope" is, but it sounds like something my mom would call weed.

It does matter which way you wind Teflon tape - you wind it the same direction your screw the fitting on, so it doesn't unwind as you screw on said fitting.
Pipe dope is basically liquid Teflon tape, or a substitute therefore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sormus posted:

Thundercougarfalconbird Bird Poop Edition received. Interior is cloth, has an automatic. Theres some seriously interesting PO fuckery with wiring done to it that I need to check out with time.
For example:

The light switch is.. probably borked? so the PO has bypassed it so that lights come on IF you have both A/C and light switch on.
Theres a manual control for radiator fan.

Oh and it has hood pins, because OF COURSE IT DOES.
The stereo doesnt work so i couldn't blast my 80s metal playlist

You forgot the most important part.

...is it a V8?

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone doing this fine Tuesday morning? Everybody get their taxes done?

Not bad. Taxes were done a month ago, and the $3K we got back went into savings. Going to need a roof in a few years now.
Job would be better if the company I'm at would get off the pot and actually *hire* me. They don't know it yet, but "permanent contractor" is not a role I'm going to fill for long. My contracting company's medical is too expensive, and no holiday, sick, or vacation pay blows goats, especially when the host company takes 12 holidays a year. That's about $2500 a year just gone.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Gingerbread House Music posted:

305, so.....technically?

Ah, right. Forgot he'd said it was an L03 earlier. Plus I wanted to post V8 hand signs.

Real question, because I know you guys know everything, or at least someone knows something:
How do I edit my thread's title, or is that just something only mods can do? I'm not seeing anything obvious, and the internet is being surprisingly unhelpful in SA-related things.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

Mods only.

Else it would be abused to heck and back.

OK. I thought maybe the thread owner might be able to change it, NBD,

Adiabatic posted:

Hit me up babygirl.

You got it, daddy.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Well that explains why the old motor was seized, it was doubling as the evaporator drain. Could be worse, but I need to find a right hand drill (Darchangel, you got one I might be able to use in your driveway sometime in the next few days? Should take less than an hour).

Nope, but I got a right-angle attachment for a standard drill. Awkward as hell to use, but i should work in this application. Also have a Dremel.

Rhyno posted:

Always be nice and polite to people who are being drunken assholes in the bar you work at 10 years in the past. Because you never know when the dude who slapped a waitress and has to be tazed out on the sidewalk will end up being the head of the service department where you think you're going to start working and vetoes your hiring with a smile on his face.

Sigh.

Thankfully they're going to float me to another site that also needs people but I have to go through the formal hiring process now.

...seriously? They're going to let a personal vendetta from this guy be the deciding factor? I mean, I guess it would be awkward, but, man, that's unprofessional.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Devyl posted:

Had another heading tech get fired/quit last night. Guy worked on 3rd shift; so now that leaves only 5 of us to run all the M-5 & M-6 lines on two shifts. We were already running 5 10s; so now it's looking like we'll be doing 5 12s to make up for him.

Overtime pay at least, I hope?
Also, what is a "heading tech"?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

bought me one of them new fangled fitbit versa's. I quite like it.

Android or iPhone ecosystem?
I've got an iPhone, but considering the Versa against the Apple Watch Series 1. I actually like the Garmins, but the ones that actually look like watches start at about $300.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

builds character posted:

This is entirely consistent with my experience of how the world works.

Yeah, mine too, truth be told. I don't know why it still surprises me. I must be a closet optimist or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

See, the thing is that it shouldn't be more. in practice no one normal wants to do all that poo poo on a postage stamp sized thing on their wrist when they have a thousand dollar smart phone with a much bigger screen in their pocket. its just like tesla jamming everything into that stupid ipad thing. It's neat until you try to actually use it in real life.

Yes, this, exactly. There's only so much you can do on a watch.

• Locked thread