Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I always forget about the new monthly thread then get confused when I haven't seen the ai chat thread in my subscription list for a while

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh doggo update

https://twitter.com/FAT32_SHAMER/status/980555172819750912

hes a v big boy

e; oh yeah there are two more pix in the tweet above the one with the lil boomerang

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

Boy you really like that username huh

my SA stuff is all under the same username :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

ugh put a wig or a hat on that mandel-head of yours

he knocked my hat off :saddowns:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Went up to WI to visit my parents over Easter. Bunch more family surprised us and showed up for the feast. Real reason we went up there is one of Mom's dogs had puppies four weeks ago and we wanted to play with them. Spent most of the weekend in with the puppies and of course fell in love with them...so in four weeks we're driving back up to bring this little guy home. He should be ~16-18lb by that point at eight weeks old. He's the runt of the litter, born not breathing and had to be bottle fed for the first couple days but he's doing good now other than being a little smaller than the rest.

He needs a name...something auto related would be pretty cool otherwise the rest of the litter is Minnesota/Norwegian themed.

Also got the good news that wife won't be deploying thanks to essentially a clerical error.

Omgggg

Call him Øl or Thor

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

STR may i interest you in my redline? i will literally drive it down to u :3:

(:rip: ur car tho)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

STR is about to move from Sewage Street to McMansion Street :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

where could you even get an auto loan for a 30 year old rv anyways?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo. I just got soft offered a promotion (pending HR agreement) that comes with a massive pay bump.

I'm 3 days shy of 90 days here.

Holy poo poo.

nice dude, congrats!

i had salary negotiations this week and they wanted to give me 4%. i countered with 12% because without me 3 projects that are currently happening would not be doable since nobody else has my experience

my theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn-6eOxnEMI

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Pay negotiations are one of those things people are terrified of just like most money things. I was offered 4% this year and countered with 13% and they gave it to me. Just have to know how much you are worth because your boss probably doesn't want you to walk over an extra few grand.

exactly

fukkin read this and live by it boyos
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

quote:

Salary negotiations are very asymmetrical. Companies know this and routinely exploit it. Job seekers don’t, perhaps because they think doing so would be unfair and the word “exploit” makes them acutely uncomfortable. So we often default by pretending that the employer is evaluating the negotiation like we would. This is not true, and acting like it is true will harm both your interests and the interests of your future employer.

For example, many people’s mental model of employment is that an employee with a $60,000 a year salary costs about $60,000 a year to hire. If they negotiate $65,000 instead, that’s $5,000 extra which has to come from… somewhere. If the negotiation breaks down, then that is $60,000 saved. This mental model is broken.

First, get into the habit of seeing employees like employers see them: in terms of fully-loaded costs. To hire someone you need to pay for their salary, true, but you also have taxes, a benefits package, employer contributions to retirement, healthcare, that free soda your HR department loves mentioning in the job ads, and what have you. (Trivia: for a US employer of professionals, the largest component after salary is usually healthcare, followed by payroll taxes.) The fully-loaded costs of employees are much higher than their salary: exactly how much higher depends on your locality’s laws, your benefits package, and a bunch of other HR administrivia, but a reasonable guesstimate is between 150% and 200% of their salary.

The fully loaded cost of an engineer receiving market salaries these days in California or New York is close to $20,000 a month. It is “only” $10,000 a month if they’re receiving a heavily below-market salary, such as if they’re working for a startup. If you have a kid brother who majored in Flemish Dance and got a modest full-time job at a non-profit, his fully-loaded cost is still probably $4,000 a month or more.

This is a roundabout way of telling you that companies are not sensitive to small differences in employee wages because employees are so darned expensive anyhow. You see $5,000 and think “Holy cow, even after taxes that’s a whole new vacation. Five thousand dollars. Five thousand dollars. It would be so very, very greedy of me to ask for five thousand whole dollars.” The HR department sees $5,000 and thinks “Meh, even after we kick in the extra taxes, that is only about 3% of their fully-loaded cost for this year anyhow, or seven hundredths of one percent of that team’s hiring budget. I wonder if the cafeteria has carrot cake today?”

Virtually any amount of money available to you personally is mouse droppings to your prospective employer. They will not feel offended if you ask for it. (I received a comment that this is untrue for startups by someone today. For a funded startup which has enough engineers to warrant a foosball table, the company payroll is well north of $100,000 a month. Making a new hire is a big commitment, but they still have a lot of flexibility on the details because the details do not shave months off of their runway.)

We’ve been talking about your employer as an abstraction, but in the instant case you’re talking to an actual person. Let’s call him Bob. It is Bob’s job to get you signed with the company as cheaply as possible, but Bob is not super motivated to do so, because Bob is not spending Bob’s money to hire you. Bob is spending Bob’s budget. Bob generally does not get large performance incentives for shaving money off of his hiring budget: you get a new Macbook if you convince Bob to give you $5k extra, but Bob gets (if he is anomalously lucky) a dinner at TGIFridays if he convinces you to take $5k less. In fact, there are many organizations (and Bobs) for whom power, status, and money come from asking for more budget every year. If you turn out to be on the expensive side, that is great for Bob, because a) he manages a high-powered peon so he must be a high-powered manager and b) this will help Bob get more budget next quarter. So if you’re worried about what Bob will think of your moral character, or you want to compensate Bob because you feel you owe him for this job opportunity, do Bob a solid and negotiate in a spirited fashion with him.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

speaking of saabs, what ever happend to viggen?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yanno what is great about this Friday?

I'm not working tonight. :smugdog:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

What's it like to have a job where giving raises is a thing that happens, rather than being endlessly told "well its just not in the budget, maybe next year"?

im of the mindset where if they say that once i begin looking for a new job because if they arent able to afford the costs involved in retaining their employees with incentives and rewards then they shouldnt be in business at all

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

happy friday everyone, have a listen to one of the best mashups you'll ever hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Upzye9Ctw

someone should get the av of rob zombie and the devil cruising while headboppin from the dragula music video

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it is april 9 and also snowing outside

global warming is looking better and better

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Global warming could be a reason it's snowing outside on april 9th. The polar jetstream getting all fucky is ruining everything.

On the plus side, the North Atlantic Current getting destroyed is gonna turn England into Canada, and that's going to be pretty funny.

nah yeah I hope Michigan becomes Florida so I can open a scooter rental shop and day drink all day

the other option is that Michigan becomes a contested territory in the coming water wars and we get annexed by Texas but then California invades

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

CA has ALL the money and 1/8th the population of the US, though. And money buys drones, and drones supercede your AR-15.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, sell it for $500 as-is where-is to someone who only cares if it will run for a year. The alignment may actually be fixable with "problem solver" bolts depending on how bad it really is.

there is no way that it will run for longer than a month before it nukes itself or a wheel goes flying off

take the money and run i guess

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/JUrKKIJ.mp4

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i have WOW! and get 150/50 with no data caps and 200 tv channels for $99/month

comcast was going to give me a terabyte cap and i told them to go gently caress themselves

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bolind posted:

When I'm done fixing computers and explaining poo poo all day, I'm happy to come home to an Apple ecosystem that Just Works*. Yes, it's expensive and a lock in. Dontgiveafuck.

this and especially for family members who are technologically challenged

love too spend my free time computer janitoring my poo poo at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

STR posted:

Would this guy have been better? :v:

https://giant.gfycat.com/SlushyPlaintiveErmine.webm

• Locked thread