Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

dee eight posted:

Man I love Easter. We get to dress up like scary monsters and go door-to-door and say TRICK OR TREAT and people give you candy.

No, that's not Easter. That's Halloween. On Easter you cook a big turkey dinner and your family comes and you are thankful for all the good things in your life.

You're both wrong. Easter is a celebration of the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The romans crucified him and he was put in the tomb and three days later he rolled back the big rock in front and if he sees his shadow, we get 6 more weeks of Lent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

InitialDave posted:

"...ention"

lol

Last job I scored HR said when can you start and I said I can be there in about 20 minutes. They said, um no, Monday is fine.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Darchangel posted:

At a certain point, for example, I'm going to have to decide if I will ever build the unbuilt model kits I have, or if I should just sell them. The good news is that a lot of them are OOP and/or vintage now, and therefore worth at least what I paid for them adjusted, if not more (a lot more, in some cases, it looks like.)

I have an Airfix battleship Graf Spee 1/600 that I never put together. Looks like about 40 bux max value.
The last one I glued together was the USS New Jersey when I was a kid. I sank it soon after, in a kiddies wading pool, with an m-80

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No seriously who the gently caress uses SAE :v:

I have a toolbox with a mix of SAE, metric, and whitworth. I had more than a couple of bikes that needed two and in one case, all three.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

The Locator posted:

I don't ever want to have to move it, drat thing is built into a rolling base and it's loving heavy just to roll it, let alone try to get it into a truck.

I feel ya. We moved house twice with an old upright piano.

e; snipe i guess. I'll dig up an animal pic somehow.

\/\/\/\/ one can never have too many animal pics.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 7, 2018

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I just took a semi drunken stroll to the corner store and back and passed a thing on the way.

A 1966 Chrysler 300. In decent condition, no dings or dents, minimal rust. For sale.

I thought to myself, "This would be the perfect car for me to buy to troll the gently caress out of my wife. I want this car."

then I thought to myself, "You really don't want this car. What the hell are you thinking?" and I was right on both counts.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Windshield chat reminds me of that time when there was a deluge of telemarketing calls here for auto glass replacement. The pitch invariably started with "Do you have a cracked or chipped windshield?".

~~~~~~~~~

"Yeah, but the car is stolen so I don't care"

~~~~~~~~~

"Yes, actually. Maybe you can help. It's a 1963 Jaguar 3.8l sedan...... No, not XKE. S-type. Sedan..... Okay, great. Call me back when you find out.

a week later my daughter answers the phone: "Hello? Jaguar??? boy do you have a wrong number"

a couple days later I answer and, "I can get a windshield for your Jaguar shipped from England for $XXXXXX"
"Oh, thanks but nevermind. I found a good one in the wrecking yard for 50 bucks. Bye"

~~~~~~~~~

and the best: Son answers the phone "Hello?....No, but I have a crack in my rear end. Can you fix that?"

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

LloydDobler posted:

I have awesome memories of that car, my grandma bought one new and had it for 30 years. I had a chance to take it for $1500 back in the 90's but my ex wife said no, and the truth is I had nowhere to put it. But it still makes me sad that I let a one owner family classic go to a stranger. You're not in the Portland area are you?

Montana, same neighborhood as Jamal (I think). The guy wants 7k for it and just from what I saw, it *might* be worth that.

e: fucks given = 0, sig for the sig god

dee eight fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 8, 2018

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

boss sig. i can see why you keep that classic in the garage most of the time

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Earlier someone said eggs are best with/on leftovers.

Cheese is the real champion on top of left overs. Who can resist a nice bit of melted cheddar? Terrorists I’m sure.

Give me Swiss, or give me white cheddar as a second choice, but yeah almost any cheese is good melted on leftover chicken with a side of slaw.

As for the eggs:

hard boil and peel 3 dozen eggs, set aside
In a large pan, heat 3 cups vinegar and stir in 2 cups sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
add 2 cans whole red beets and juice to the vinegar and heat until hot but not boiling.
add the eggs and turn off heat.
when cool, transfer to a big glass jar and refridgerate for 2/3 days.

When they are just right, you cut one on the long axis and there's a cheery yellow yolk with a white corona fading into royal purple. salt and pepper to taste.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I'm mildly jealous. Mrs d8 is cooking a cheap store-brand frozen pizza right now.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

The really best way to hard boil 3 dozen eggs is to put 'em in the water, heat it up to a good boil, turn off the heat and put a lid on. Wait exactly 13 minutes and 4 seconds and then douche the eggs with cold water. They peel easy after that and they're perfectly cooked.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Thats how we did it in the 70s but with the advent of the internet, I found the ultimate method and follow it faithfully.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

This pizza ain't bad with a bowl and a brew.

went to #AI in synIRC and asked do you like NASCAR? and got a rude response.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

spog posted:

how close you came to death when you are in bed

Met the mrs. I see.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I got a daylight and sober look at that 66 Chrysler. Do not want.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

fridge corn posted:

there is zero good food in the uk

ever since thatcher banned milk

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

'If it bleeds it leads' does not apply to commuter carnage anymore. There's usually more and better violence and blood for the Headline God on any given day :smith:

Car death is on pp 3 in the local rag.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Liquid Communism posted:

Where I think the car companies are really missing right now as far as possible efficiency gains is not bringing stronger 4-cylinder offerings in the light truck market at a less than premium price point.

Please yes I want it.

I drove an '84 Toyota pickup for ~25 years and I loved it dearly. Ask ol' gramps to tell you the story of The Dirtmobile.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

High kids. I'm gonna tell you part 1 of the dirtmobile saga just because I like to talk.

Back in 1986, the wife and I decided we needed another vehicle. I worked 25ish miles from home, and she needed to do school stuff. She had a 73 Corona wagon that was a decent commuter, but our only other rig was a 3/4 ton 4x4 which was def not cheap to operate. We agreed that if we found a good used car that suited her, she'd get the new one and I'd get the wagon. If we found one for me, she'd keep the wagon. We also agreed to get the blessing of my brother on anything we test drove before we would even consider purchasing it.

My brother Rebus* was the best wrench in town at the time. Whatever he said about any car, we considered carved in stone. So me and mrs d8 hit the used car lots one Sunday and plotted a dozen or so potential test drives for the next day. Each one we took by Rebus and got his opinion. "This year/model has some power steering issues" he would say, or "That's not bad if you can get it for under $XXXX." He looked at about 8 or so, but nothing quite fit yet.

We took the last car we tested back to the dealer and said nah and turned to leave. Right there by the door was a nice white new looking1984 Toyota pickup. I turned back to the salesguy and said what about that? He told me they took it in trade not 5 minutes ago.

Me: How much?
He: Five thousand.
Me: Test drive?
He: Keys are in it.

Three minutes later we pulled up to my brother's shop and he said, "What are you doing in this?" Test drive I says. He says how much? 5k I says.
He didn't hesitate a second when he said "Buy it right now."

He showed me the work order. "I put a brand new engine in it yesterday. It came in with 22xxx on the odometer." I checked. This engine had all of 12 miles on it. I owned it 20 minutes later. I got the guy talked down to $4995 and called it a win.

I drove that truck for 25 years and loved every mile. It was the best all-around vehicle I have ever owned.

Tune in next week for the next exciting installment of The Saga of The Dirtmobile.

*My nickname for him, taken from Firesign Theatre's 'Everything You Know is Wrong!' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKZtt2yEwfs

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Waaaait.... you were married in 1986?

Whew Im not the oldest here

oh hell no i was married in 1977

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Mrs d8 binged the entirety of lost in space and liked it. I'm almost done with better call saul. We both watched all 6 or 7 seasons of death in paradise and it's a fun show with a fair to middlin' ensemble cast and decent writing/dialouge.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

A dab of brake fluid behind the ear and fingernails carefully done with that little black line under the edge.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I won half a beef in a raffle, 5 dollar ticket, cut and wrap not included. It came out to about 22 cents/pound all in and I had the steaks cut inch and half thick.

I also bought a live cow once and quartered it myself for the trip to the butcher. That's where the 'I cut a cow in half with a chainsaw' in my profile comes from.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I canceled my phone service and took the battery out of the fucker. I don't miss it one iota.

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST. THANK GOD ALMIGHTY I'M FREE AT LAST!

[/martin luddite king]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Rhyno posted:

MY NEIGHBOR LET ME WALK HIS HUSKIES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvs-_PsZ1Q

• Locked thread