Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Good job on the April chat thread, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

an AI regular non-poo poo poster

:lol: like such a thing exists.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Why can't both be true? I've made peace with both of them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

I regged here as a joke.

It was p funny

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323168620961

Got to make sure your Ebay listing has photos that show the best aspects of your car.

Technically it's not the car that sucks, but still posting it here.

The car doesn't suck, but it's definitely a sucking auction.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I wonder if the shooter at YouTube was recently demonetized? :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Can you imagine if that's the cause?

Regardless, time to get some thoughts and prayers queued up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I bought a Weber Genesis LX 3 burner natural gas grill and I have loved it. Igor the stainless model. The grates are stainless steel too and it has a closed cabinet on the bottom. With all the grilling I do now with my wife’s dietary needs I’m using it two or three times a week. With the natural gas it has no problem getting up to 650+* and it is easy to cook with direct or indirect heat. Just the right amount of cooking area for a pretty good spread too.
Buy the cover. It is 100% necessity for maintaining a nice looking grill.

I don't know my exact model, but I've got a stainless Genesis 3 burner that I've had for about 7 years. Outside with no cover. Still looks nearly new. Some flaking of the Weber logo, other than that, nada. Quick buff up in the Spring and it sparkles. Get the stainless one with all stainless interior parts. So nice. Also, go natural gas. It's so loving convenient and so nice to never worry about propane bottles.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-3034502-Glue-Sticks-45Count/dp/B06X1CZWC5

Thanks. Don't need them, but bought them anyway... I'll use them some time!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All I'm hearing is that somebody doesn't believe in our lord and savior, Titebond.

Fermented Tinal posted:

There is only Elmer's and Probond is his messenger.

Lol. Look at these guys that haven't heard of CA glue.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seminal Flu posted:

I wonder if the shooter at YouTube was recently demonetized? :ohdear:

http://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/what-do-we-know-about-the-youtube-workplace-shooter-nasim-aghdam/1099679131

:vince:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 4, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Of course my fuckin hard grad class assigns a lab due the 13th, same day I'm taking the PE. Coupled with the 12 hour days I'm working during an outage at a power station and, well, this is gonna be a fun few weeks.

My 8 year old just got a cast on her broken arm yesterday and I'll tell you the same thing I told her -- you can do anything for a couple weeks. Focus, push, know that it's a short-term crush and you'll get through it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

back up a copy of that video to a few copies of physical media and get it stored in a safe deposit box

I already told him that and he was already ahead of me. STR knows how to safeguard valuable evidence.

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks bud. I'll be in my nerd hole if anyone needs me.

:coal:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I'm not having the best day.

I started a new workout routine on Monday. A 3 day a week weight program, very low weight to get back into the swing. Got help from an actual trainer to prepare, my form is great, ready to go. Did 1 set of deadlifts Wednesday night, no issues at all through yesterday, woke up today and my right shoulder is jacked. I worked so hrd to get to where I was, lost all that weight, then regain a fraction of it and I can not lose any of it for the life of me.

Change your horizon. You did a lot without complications -- that's rare. Normally our bodies or life circumstances gently caress with us in some way. Even though you think it's a reasonable goal to do the program, don't view it as a failure to have to modify your participation.

Push hard, but only monitor your self once a week... you're looking at long-term change, something not measured in weeks or days.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I'm just upset because I am literally on the baby beginner setting and I can't seem to do poo poo.

No, if you were baby beginner, you'd be where you're at now, only fat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My point was as you get older

That's the problem, Rhyno doesn't want to admit that he's old now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

diiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Go yell at clouds, old man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Geico called me and said they won't let me keep collision on my car, and very pushy about removing comprehensive. Agreed to removing it. They said once I get the car fixed up, I can have them inspect it to see if they'll cover it for more than scrap value again.

.... then realized "wait, I still have a rental car with a MSRP around my gross income per year". Called them back to make sure it'd be covered. lol nope, with a hail storm coming in, even. At least I got them to undo the changes until I turn in the rental. Thankfully the hail storm went north, but mom wasn't so lucky.... loving baseball size hail at her place (~25 miles away). She had her car in the garage, but it looks like she has another homeowners claim for hail damage. Roof is about a year old.. :sigh:

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the title. Both times I've dealt with a total, the insurance company has require the title to be branded. It makes sense for them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

They do, but the claims rep told me it'll keep a clean title since I'm keeping it.

Remains to be seen, of course, but I haven't signed any power of attorney or anything.

When my CJ-8 got totalled, I had to take the title to the BMV myself, change it to a salvage title, then take the title to the insurance company and they wrote the check.

Then the whole re-certifying deal started. It was a big pain, but I got paid for the truck, fixed it for less than $1000 and got paid for the truck again when I sold it after re-certifying, so it was worthwhile.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gently caress the steaming pile of cancer that is YouTube targeted to kids.

I've got a traumatized 8 year old, because my dumbfuck brother-in-law and his wife don't pay any attention to what their kids watch.

We were at a family gathering on Saturday and my 8 year old girl ran off to play with their 10 year old girl. Just like they always do. Except, after that, she's been inconsolable with her crying about this scary video the 10 year old showed her.

What did she describe? The exact scene of 4:30-ish here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tjd8no-9Eo

Holy gently caress. That whole douche bag's channel is a steaming pile of cancer. And that video should NEVER be seen by anyone, much less a 10 year old.

I've got my kids on a pretty solid supervisory system. They know I watch what they watch and I search their history. They have NEVER strayed... it's just not in them right now. But now I'm uber-pissed off about this, because I don't even know how to deal with an absolutely innocent 8 year old having seen that poo poo, explaining it to her that it's meant to scare adults, and it's only makeup and scary camera shots, and then have her say "I know that in my brain, but my eyes keep seeing it" as she sobs.

gently caress people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

the scene at 4:30 isnt nearly as bad as the one after it

the whole genre of 'reaction' videos is entirely traaaasshhh

i think your kid will be ok soon but i did see poltergeist at a pretty young age and it scared the poo poo out of me for a long while

I didn't watch past the 4:30 scene, apparently the 10 year old had already seen it and determined that the scene that followed was too scary. :fuckoff:

I talked with her about it some more and she said that knowing it was a mask helped her make sense of it. She's tough, she'll figure it out... I'm just pissed that she has to.

LloydDobler posted:

Are you saying that was available on the kids filtered version of youtube? Or is it not caught by the regular 18-up filter? I monitored use with my daughter very heavily too so I never used any of their filtering. I also started showing her scarier PG movies at around that age but nothing like that clip.

I had a similar problem when my daughter saw the walking dead for the first time, around age 10. She'd seen lots of action movies and blood/gore never bothered her even when I showed it to her too young. She figured out the "it's not real" detachment pretty early on. But there was something different about the walking dead that just hosed her up, she had nightmares for a few weeks straight. I felt terrible, I was sure she could handle it but was wrong. Ironically she still loved the show and refused to stop watching it, and it became a joke between us soon after. We'd have exchanges like this: "Are you sure you want to watch this?" "Yes Yes Yes". "You're not going to have nightmares?" "Oh I'm definitely going to have nightmares."

I went through the same thing when I saw the head exploding scene in Scanners back in the early 80's. Of course it was at a friend's house, it seemed all my friends had cable TV and no supervision when I was in junior high. I was either 11 or 12 and it took me about a month to stop having serious nightmares about that one.

Which I guess is the only consolation, you could just reassure her that the more time that goes by, it will bother her less, until one day she tells stories about how scared she was when she saw it. The other thing I do with my daughter when she gets worked up is a go-to thing to think about that makes her feel really good. I usually talk about family vacations to the beach and it takes her right to a happy place. But yeah, sorry you're going through that, probably the worst feeling a parent can have is watching your kid suffer in any way.

This was not on kid's youtube, it was on regular. I know it's unmonitored and unfiltered, that's why my 8 year old doesn't have access to it. (I know there's problems with kid's youtube, too, but from what I've seen, that's more of a fringe problem... my girl watches Dr. Squish, puppy vids, DIYs and these weird "family" shows that are just a camera in front of a family of attention whores doing stuff... not my thing, but no real harm in any of that).

I made the mistake of assuming my in-laws had some kind of control or oversight of what their kids watch, and their response was a virtual shoulder shrug, so that's a problem for me... hell, if a parent comes to me with an issue regarding my child, I assume it's the truth, just because poo poo happens in life... I can't stand people that stick their heads in the sand and pretend that their snowflakes are the mostest preciousest things out there. A little bit of responsibility-taking goes a long way.

I was into scary stuff early on, Fangoria, the Dawn of the Dead series, stuff like that, but even that was ~12 years old or so... the line between something young kids should see and what they should really not see can be super thin now.

I talked to her about it and last night was better, she'll be okay. I'm still pissed, though.

Edit: Followup -- just got a text from my BiL. His 10 year old came to him crying this morning and copped to everything. So now he believes her and he apologized for the situation. That makes it okay with me, but it's still not cool that he couldn't see through his 10 year old's bullshit, in spite of overwhelming evidence. :shrug:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 12, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Not surprised at all with that. A neighbor of ours whos child was kind of friends with my son never did anything wrong, even tho I myself witnessed him blast another much younger kid in the face with a soccer ball point blank and told his idiot mother, she refused to believe it happened because the kid denied it. Ok, you want to play that game? From them on, any time the kid sneezed in the wrong direction I sent him home and he eventually just stopped coming around. Buh-bye!

Really tho man, you have to expect poo poo like that to happen and just be prepared to deal with it because it's not good to be a helicopter parent, you just have to hope they learn from it.

Yeah, it's frustrating, but it's passing. I don't think I helicopter, hell, she broke her arm a couple weeks ago doing gymnastics in a friend's basement and that barely raised my pulse... kids are going to be kids. But the internet now is not something kids (sub-teens) should have unregulated access to. Too much stuff out there that can impact development.

LloydDobler posted:

Oh wow, you didn't mention that they were denying it. That'd piss me off too. At least if everyone's on the same level you can all talk about what is ok and what isn't, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

It ended up okay, but the initial denial of responsibility was tough to take.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

builds character posted:

This drives me crazy. Lying is developmentally appropriate behavior for kids. Don't be surprised when your kid lies or pretend they always tell the truth. They're literally supposed to be lying to their parents and then those parents are like "nah, not my kid." Yes, yes, your kid. And all the other kids too.

I must not have been clear. Of course a child that age is going to lie, I agree... That's typical development. The problem I had was the child's FATHER assuming his snowflake could do no wrong and his lack of responsibility-taking. Or maybe we were saying the same thing. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cheap Ring doorbell if anyone's looking.

Amazon bought them and dropped the base price to $99. The warehouse price is $89.99, but for some reason there's a 20% off discount that kicks in on the satin nickel one, bringing the Prime price down to $77 delivered after tax in my case. I needed a replacement doorbell anyway, so cheap upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00N2ZDXW2/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

There's money to be made

There's money that's already been paid, and not delivered. And now we're charged more for it. :911:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Thank gently caress that's over.

I have no idea if I passed or not, but I don't find out for like 10 weeks so time to put it completely out of my mind I guess.

First thing on the agenda: nap.

Wagering -- you passed.

Go nap, you've earned it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sormus posted:

I may have bought a 3rd gen firebird from internet sight unseen.

That's the only way to do it. Pics of car and your hair, please.

I hope it has t-tops. It'd better have t-tops.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sormus posted:

I haven't had a mullet since i was like 15. We agreed that I'd get it Tuesday so pics then.
It doesn't have T-tops, because I live in Finland where it rains ALL THE TIME... and those would've cost extra

Finland has 2-day mullets? Awesome!

Seriously looking forward to pictures, though. What motor? Carbureted 305? V6? I4? The terrible engine options are endless! (Hoping for a FI 350 with a manual)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

Borrowed some space heaters from friends, and they work well enough in my tiny townhouse that I can just use them for the next few weeks. I forgot that winter's basically over and this is the time of year that I shut my furnace off anyway. So the pressure is off there, I can replace it in August or something.

Have you taken a look at what specifically broke? Any chance of repairing in the off-season?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

If you go with pex, make sure you either use the full plastic stuff that has the expansion tool for the crimps, or use the ring crimps (typically copper) and not the gear-clampish ones with the nub (typically stainless steel). My basment flooded this winter because of a stainless steel ring clamp failure where the crimp nub opened up and released tension on the crimp, that was rectified by just using copper ring crimps instead. Basically if the crimping tool doesn't look like a space gun or a really big pair of old-style coax crimpers (but with round holes instead of hexes), and instead looks a bit like end nippers, don't use them.

I thought the way to do PEX was with the new robo-tools that expand the tubing and let it contract around the barbed fittings?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Read the first sentence. That's expensive though, and the tools are crazy not-cheap. You can still get the older style of pex and it's easier to retrofit with that.

We're looking at different things. From what I've seen, there's a crimpless/clampless fitting type that expands the tubing and it re-shrinks over a barb. Seems to be the best way to PEX.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sormus posted:

Yea, 305 TBI. 350 engines are available here and there are few companies that regularly ship car parts from US to here so it shouldn't be impossible to do that 350 swap over winter

I've never seen headlight washers like that on a Transmaro. Is that a Finnish Domestic Market requirement?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

iwentdoodie posted:

Can't get the gently caress ahead for loving losing, and no matter how much I loving try to keep a level head and stay calm and try harder I'm like a stubbed loving toe away from just goddamn losing it.

God drat, I've been right loving there. :smith: Goonspeed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The gently caress? Friend that finally got his license, a bit late in life, and linked me to the car he just bought.

2005 Grand Prix Supercharged. $800. Paint looks like rear end. But a loving supercharged 3.8 for your first car, for $800. WITH WORKING AC. :argh:

I'm sure it's just as much of a basketcase as Negative Ions, but that Grand Prix is going to be a shitload more fun to drive. I'm a bit lot jealous.

It's okay, the transmission in the Grand Prix won't last very much longer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Breakfast Feud posted:

The best moped ever made is probably the Puch Magnum,

Are there specific ones that are rare? 'cause there's a Magnum on my local CL for cheap... https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/d/moped-1978-puch-magnumxk/6558414622.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

Let me know if you found the TSB #. I found something close but doesn't sound exactly like this. Also PM me an email address to send info.

What's the story on the new av?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

Job chat: current employer pulled the "you can't quit because you're fired" routine when I went in to work today - a stunning display of professionalism that is no less than I would expect out of them.

Already been in contact with my new employer, they have to confirm it but they're pretty sure they can start me next week :toot:

Fortunately we have just enough in the bank to cover all the bills through the end of the month in the event of a worst-case scenario.

Larrymer posted:

Somebody offered a terrible av in the MTB thread, so I inquired. :v:

It's not a great story, but I went into the MTB thread with an issue on my new bike: the crank kept falling off. People were big condescending meanies to me about it when I was asking for advice on what to check since I reinstalled and it happened again. I got a new one and eventually took it to a bike shop who didn't find anything weird with the bike except the BB was a little loose, and they reinstalled. I've only ridden it a few times since but it hasn't come off again (yet). I posted that picture in the thread when trying to get advice.

You should have asked here, there's a lot of bike overlap in AI.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Android. I'd be tempted by an apple watch if I liked iOS but I don't and I'm still not completely sold on a full on smart watch.

I wish there would be some smart watch development, but it seems utterly stagnant.

Last year I got a Huawei Watch 2 and it was really nice, but limited in its functions. I sent it back and got a Motorola 360 Sport off of eBay for $50 and, for most purposes, it's comparable... meaning... it doesn't do much.

I'd like to have full fitbit-level biometrics, along with good cell phone integration and good battery life, but really it's a watch that happens to notify me of texts and emails and can control the media I'm consuming. There could be so much more...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

Fill your locker with ping pong balls.

E: or a dead hooker.

Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Amazon's warehouse is having a tough-to-pin-down 20% off sale on some things. It's very hit-or-miss, but but I just grabbed an LG G6 for $265 delivered, which I think is p. good.

Now, is the phone crap? I'm replacing a Nexus 6p.

• Locked thread