Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/990828839914754049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
you win the repost contest

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten rubs a magic lamp.

What comes out?

Several more Bill Shortens.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

AgentF posted:

Dear God, please grant Labor the ability to message effectively come election time.

Shorten has started doing town halls so it begins I guess

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten rubs a magic lamp.

What comes out?

A blue suit and a red tie?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Media Watch: apparently channel nine is trying to sell Myanmar as a tourist destination (lol.)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Media Watch: apparently channel nine is trying to sell Myanmar as a tourist destination (lol.)

so that's what happened to soag

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Several more Bill Shortens.

Oh so a dusty fart basically.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Can't knock em up if they're post-menopausal *taps own head*

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Why the gently caress would he do this after it’s come out that he’s chased women into the toilets at these events when pissed.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Oh boy. Four Corners is banging the drum about a sugar tax.

I used to be for it despite the fact it's regressive as gently caress, but now I'm ambivalent because the evidence hasn't proven it works the way it's meant to.

I'm not sure what the government can do about it, though. We're at a point where a large portion (see wut I did thar) of the population live in a noxiously obesogenic environment and I don't see any mechanisms the government can force it out.

You can't ban the stuff, and you can't go back to ration books like in world war 2, all the associated industries would go beserk. It's political suicide.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like the biggest culture shock I'll get when I return to Australia will be seeing all the fatasses around.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

increasing the price of something doesn't make people stop buying it. see: tobacco, alcohol

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bell jar posted:

increasing the price of something doesn't make people stop buying it. see: tobacco, alcohol

Uh, you gotta source for that? Because all I've heard is that ramping up the price of something decreases the number of people using it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

bell jar posted:

Preeeeeeetty sure smoking and drinking rates are down in Australia, worldwide not so much

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-30/business-council-to-ramp-up-role-in-politics/9710190

quote:

The Business Council of Australia (BCA), the lobby group representing Australia's largest companies, has decided to do politics.
The BCA is embarking on an unprecedented level of political campaigning in the run up to the next federal election, committing to a program of television advertising, television programs, town hall meetings and direct grassroots campaigning in marginal electorates to promote business-friendly policies, like lower company taxes.
7.30 understands the peak business lobby group is asking its 130 members to pay $200,000 each towards a fighting fund for the campaign.
Under siege from senior figures in the Liberal Party for failing to promote business-friendly policies — and support the Coalition — and seeing the prospect of company tax cuts for the big end of town ebbing away, the BCA has decided to go on the front foot.
It is now spending big on political advice and political campaigning and is targeting marginal seats.
It argues it has no choice but to take on groups like GetUp and what it sees as a destructive, anti-business sentiment rising in the community.
"To not do that means we will surrender our country to, I think, an inevitable set of very poor policies which will be bad for the country and to be honest, bad for the poorest people, not the richest people," the BCA's chief executive, Jennifer Westacott said.
This is the first time the BCA has ever undertaken such a comprehensive or assertive public approach to politicking.
There's more in the article

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Prepare 130 guillotines.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
As a result of the UK soft drink tax manufacturers put a lot less sugar in their drinks. Whether that leads to lower consumption of sugar remains to be seen but it's a good start.

bell jar posted:

I agree, we shouldn't price carbon emissions.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

quote:

The Business Council of Australia (BCA), the lobby group representing Australia's largest companies, has decided to act openly about doing politics.

fixed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lid posted:

Preeeeeeetty sure smoking and drinking rates are down in Australia, worldwide not so much

I can only wonder how much of that is a price thing vs a cultural thing? Can still get cheap booze of some description in most places if you really want it. Tobacco on the other hand shows that crippling the marketing for a product, basically, is ridiculously effective. Smoking isn't something all the movie stars and celebrities do now, it's your dorky parents and gross old people. And all the cool kids are smoking weed anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny watching the fat cats actually buy into their own 'job creator' myth, which seems like no faster way of discrediting it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xerxes17 posted:

I feel like the biggest culture shock I'll get when I return to Australia will be seeing all the fatasses around.

Happened to me when I got back from SEA. It's kind of insane.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I love how Auspol gets up on the moral high ground then goes yeah nah and goes back to being white men on the internet fatshaming.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I love how Auspol gets up on the moral high ground then goes yeah nah and goes back to being white men on the internet fatshaming.

Saying Australians are fat isn't fat shaming. They're a fat nationality.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

I'm the first to admit I'm a fat nerd on the internet (surprise, I'm a goon).

The lady on the show did have a point - we have an alcohol strategy why don't we have an obesity one? Probably because the answers are (hurrr) unpalatable.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

CrazyTolradi posted:

Fatshaming is good.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tys im the 'leftist' supporting regressive sin taxes on the poor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
subsidise cigarettes

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Nah mate go back to WW2-style rationing. Watch manchildrens go beserk when they find they might have to eat something green or starve.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Fat people should be shamed though. :confused:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'd fully support a sugar tax if 100% of the proceeds went to programs to improve the health of the poorest parts of society. But that'll never happen cause they'll just use the extra money to fund tax cuts to the rich or politician wage increases.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Ban soft drinks.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

CrazyTolradi posted:

CrazyTolradi posted:

If you're so incredibly loving stupid as to eat everything that's put in front of you, then you deserve everything you get.

That's just plan A grade loving dumb, it's what everyone gets told never to do.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

tys im the 'leftist' supporting regressive sin taxes on the poor

this thread would 100% jump aboard welfare quarantining if it had a loophole for buying steam cards

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I agree, we shouldn't price carbon emissions.

ah yes carbon emissions, that regular product that consumers can purchase for their consumption at their leisure

i'd like to see any info that shows alcohol consumption in this country going anything but up (increased drink prices at bars leading people to buy cheaper alcohol from places like dan murphys, get slaughtered on pre drinks and then go out to save money)

increased prices on cigarettes stops people from being able to afford them easily, but i would argue that a decrease in tobacco consumption is directly related to bans on tobacco advertising, health warnings, and plain packaging. arguably an increase in price along with those measures helps reduce purchasing of tobacco but ultimately it just shifts all that purchasing to a black market instead (black market tobacco in this country is fuckin booming my friends)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Also there is a lot of research that demonstrates that fat shaming does not help people get healthier in case anyone wasn't just shitposting about it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bell jar posted:

ah yes carbon emissions, that regular product that consumers can purchase for their consumption at their leisure

i'd like to see any info that shows alcohol consumption in this country going anything but up (increased drink prices at bars leading people to buy cheaper alcohol from places like dan murphys, get slaughtered on pre drinks and then go out to save money)

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4307.0.55.001/

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
But I want to be cruel to someone with a medical condition and I find it very important that I morally congratulate myself for doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Zenithe posted:

Also there is a lot of research that demonstrates that fat shaming does not help people get healthier in case anyone wasn't just shitposting about it.

In a world where the fat acceptance movement exists, fatshaming is not only good but is a moral duty.

• Locked thread