Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BBJoey posted:

i mean there is merit to considering UBI proposals with a critical eye - as noted in the article tech ceos aren’t supporting UBI-esque policies out of the goodness of their own heart.

It was supported by Milton Friedman too.

I get the idea of being skeptical towards a huge social change like a UBI but those arguments are loving weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

I don't get how difficult it is to sell a message of "we are going to give you money and we are going to tax corporations and other people to get it"

Undeserving poor, you shouldn't punish people for being successful, etc etc

Plus it's a huge change to the way society works and that kind of thing isn't an easy sell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Edit: This may not apply to Melbourne and Sydney, but definitely Perth and probably Brisbane, Adelaide.

Yeah, it's pretty much the opposite of what is happening in Sydney; there are a loving shitload of apartments going up along the Bankstown line and around Waterloo / Alexandria.

The Guardian posted:

[M]ore than 350 cranes were at work in Sydney, more than half of the total in the whole of Australia, of which 85% were involved in residential construction. And in contrast to other Australian cities, they are spread throughout the suburbs rather than concentrating in the central business district. In 2016, for the first time, more apartments than houses were built in Australia, and Sydney, where flats now account for 28% of housing, is well ahead of the average.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knorth posted:

Is that the same writer who did that anti-Dutton piece a while back? I thought that was Courier too, maybe I'm misremembering

Yeah, Paul Syvret seems to have generally good takes on things although I assume someone's going to milkshake duck him given I've just said that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

If the government gave me 35k a year for doing nothing I'd work two days a week at some dumb job, crank my hog, play video games and chill forever.

Yeah that's kinda the point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

It shouldn't be. The idea that we live in a world ripe for post-scarcity television watching automated utopia is absurd on it's face. There are plenty of jobs that desperately need doing, the problem is that our consumer based economy doesn't value them. Selling UBI as a means to not end, but prop up consumerism is irresponsible.

I mean we were talking about someone working part-time instead of full-time but sure, that clearly requires the Culture to be sustainable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bigis posted:

I know very little about UBI but wouldn’t CPI go up and everyone’s buying power stay relatively the same?
It's a sensible question to ask.

One trial in Mexico suggests that the effects would be measurable but not dramatic, and similar results were seen in Kuwait and Alaska.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This might stop us replying to Amethyst
https://twitter.com/AndrewJaffrey/status/981764639603109893

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Booo

Can we still use it as an excuse to ignore Amethyst?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hobo Erotica posted:

You guys are being really weird and mean here

quote:

Someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/RHT_ebooks/status/981782457270730752

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

not to mention week after week of "will kevin rudd take back control of the labor party this week", even after he tried and failed

That's what we're in for. Turnbull needs to fall further before they get rid of him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bigis posted:

Another question - wouldn’t a traditional welfare system be better at wealth redistribution? If I’m poor does my UBI get topped up through other welfare programs or is that it?
It's not explicitly designed to redistribute wealth, and this has been borne out by some of the actual examples; the funding in Alaska and Kuwait was (directly or indirectly) from oil revenue rather than progressive taxation.

It's hard to say whether it's better given nobody's actually implemented it on the scale being talked about. It's got some promising aspects (both in theory and, crucially, in practice) and that makes it worth considering.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

a war of unfriendship
This is a great phrase.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/982081881544974336

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Konomex posted:

Someone explain it to me? How does listening to a didgeridoo in Australia make her feel like a second-class citizen? Or is she just upset that she gets told to shut her idiot face when she says racist things?
We've done so much for them and they're ungrateful, uncivilised bastards who just want more and more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/PollBludger/status/982952857518292992

Oh wow what a shock

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/982955177048064002

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/leighsales/status/983264037994561537

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ewe2 posted:

A particularly lazy "yeah nah" on UBI Seems he couldn't even be arsed to summarize one of his key sources properly. If the tax system is so bloody amazing, how come government revenue is way down and large corporations pay nothing?

The article he links about "robbing people of agency" is even worse

quote:

Thirdly, a UBI robs people of agency. It completely ignores the value of work beyond earning an income. Too often progressive advocates of the UBI fall into the trap of believing, as many conservatives do, that people don’t want to work.

The fact is, work is critical to people’s sense of identity. We are inherently wired to want to create, to contribute, to make something of our lives. Most people want to provide for themselves, rather than rely on support from the state.

The element of the UBI that most progressive advocates rely on to defend against these criticisms is that, where it has been tried, there is evidence that providing a living income to people who are out of work, or retired, or unable to work because of disability or caring duties, and not requiring them to jump through hoops to get it, allows them to be productive, happy, contributing members of society.

This is, indeed, a compelling argument – but it’s not an argument for a UBI. It’s an argument to stop taking a punitive, stigmatising approach to welfare across the board, and ensure that our targeted tax and transfer system is more fairly and benevolently applied.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 9, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AgentF posted:

Christmas is ages away. Sounds like setting up for ditching the leader a comfortable 6-8 months before the election.

Or you could have a pre-Christmas election and it wouldn't even be considered particularly early.

It's an empty threat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

If you are acting poor by living waterfront and saying you now have 10k less a year, then you aren't very good at acting poor. The median house price for that suburb is over half a mil, cry me a river.

The median price for a parking spot in Gladesville would be over half a mil.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

I just can't fathom how anyone can't reconcile earning $40-50k as a good income and buying a $90k house in 1985 with earning $80-90k now (also a good income) but being faced with paying $1m for a family home.

Like it isn't loving rocket science. Not to mention the price of that house is probably inflating faster than you can save even if you save $1000 every month.

*In a very Stephen Koukoulas voice*

average repayments aren't high and therefore

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

Is "virtue signalling" some sort of red pill poo poo for describing people with a conscience?

Yes.

At one point it was used to mean things like slacktivism but then the right / alt-right fuckwits took it over. Political correctness had a similar trajectory, going from a term used in internal left-wing criticism to attacking someone for being polite and decent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Want an idea of how popular Dutton is?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605439236489216

Okay sure, but that includes a bunch of left-wing voters who obviously prefer Turnbull over the others. What if you remove them?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605722704314369

People tend to support the current leader because they're the leader. What if you take out Turnbull as an option, surely some of those Turnbull supporters would have Dutton as a second choice.
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983606172572835840

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HBomberguy has a few hilarious videos about soy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dfiDeJeDU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

Huh, I thought Morrison would've been more popular with the LNP.

He was never that popular to begin with and then he disappointed his main group of supporters by throwing his lot behind Turnbull and he hasn't picked up any new supporters because he's a poo poo treasurer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah being opposition leader straight after losing government is a thankless task. Shorten's done the best at it in decades, and that's mostly because the big internal shitfight happened before they lost government and everyone was sick of it. The Liberals are in for a rough period the next time they lose government.

Les Affaires posted:

Best of all it won't be anybody who's in the ministry at the moment because they're all basted with the taint of an unpopular and harsh government, both this one and abbott's.

Someone like Porter has a chance I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/junkee/status/984266916041666560

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

It's cool how we all filled out and discussed a buzzfeed style personality test that amounts to little more than a mood ring simply because it was hosted on abc dot net dot au

I'd have filled it out if it was on BuzzFeed too :smug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

In the past the ABC would've referred to the ALA as a neo-nazi group but now they are 'right wingers'

smh

Seems like an accurate description of the current political climate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jibs Monteef posted:

Since when is he the multiculturalism minister? Last I saw he was in charge of harrassing poors via robodebt into suicide.

There was a reshuffle in December last year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/985851710093475841

Some level of self-awareness, for a change.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/sallymcmanus/status/986359822281932800

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/987182981428142080

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 22, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

I think he's implying that the banks failure will allow rampant leftism to ruin the country? Idk I never get beyond the headlines with him

Yeah that was my guess too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elisabeth was more talented than either of them but she got the shits with Rupert (who for some reason never really thought she was as capable as James or Lachlan? :iiam:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Auspol April - It's all loving hosed

• Locked thread