Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

santanotreal posted:

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to play around with building materials and guns without dropping into a game.

I was watching a building edit mode tutorial on YouTube, and the guy kept getting interrupted by the circle and other players. He was good enough that he won the game, all while walking through how to make the pyramid into a ramp, etc.

I said it in the old thread but I'll say it here because it helped me.

The new Sniper mode is perfect for a noob to learn how to build. I would know, as I am green as gently caress in this game.

Land far away, harvest, and practice building. Odds are you won't run into anyone, and if you do they won't have 4 shotguns to spam you with.

The engagements happen slower, so you'll have time to actually plan what you want to build. That said, spamming stairs is always effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I have a question for console players.

I tried adjusting my "Aim Down Sight Sensitivity," yet it seems as though if I increase the bar it actually slows down my ADS?

Does that sound right? it's backwards from every other sensitivity calibration I've seen.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I don't know if I've ever seen a game that handles it that way. No wonder I was confused.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Build if you find yourself in a sweet spot of the circle and are well armed.

Build if you're running around and someone starts shooting you. I usually build stairs in the direction of the incoming fire. Stairs are one of the best panic builds because a surprising amount of people aren't ready for you to suddenly be on top of them.

Build if you're on top of a building and someone starts hurling rockets. Build to create a distraction and get a new angle.

Basically you should be ready to build at a moment's notice. The only reason I could think of is you've found someone afk.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

What in this game is causing my controller to rumble at seemingly random times?

It’s not with explosions that I can hear, or gunshots. It’s not the clock. What is it?!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Cheen posted:

I hear that, and it was what made me wary of the game as well. What I learned was when you take that shot at someone and they start making GBS threads out a castle they lose visibility in pretty much every direction as they build- you can take this opportunity to close in and ramp up. You also just have to accept that long range pick-offs are less of a thing in this game.

This is what I've been doing. If they start making GBS threads out a tower I use the opportunity to rush in and move to a flank. 9/10 times I can lob grenades right into their structure and catch them off guard because they're still looking at where I was.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'll play BR tonight but once I have two glasses of wine my reflexes and nerves are shot. That's when I switch over to something less demanding.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Just lol if you think these young people are making six figures a month playing video games and not doing an assload of drugs with their newly acquired fortunes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

AAB posted:

some of the best spots are unnamed locations too. there are a lot of hills that will spawn with 2-3 chests that people just don't think about going to.

Is it my bad luck or do weapons/crates not really spawn in the little shacks and rundown houses outside of some of the named locations?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Also that easter egg grenade launcher is useless. I played solo rockets a few times and I kept getting that gun. It was impossible to kill anyone with it.

Even people that were inside a building that had no clue I could see them. I'd lob a few eggs into their room and they'd just get away before any could detonate.

It was more effective for me to chase someone down and pickaxe them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Tei posted:

And they have yet to enable fat heroes in BR. I can't imagine what awesomeness await us when they add a Kyle of Penny skin.

I got my money on more custom skins for streamers. If Drake can play as himself then it stands to reason they're working on a Ninja skin. Or whoever else is currently raking in the cash.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The only portable fort I want is a switch port of fortnite.

My hunch and wish for E3 is that Nintendo does a huuuge Fortnite trailer and everyone gets hyped as gently caress.

Then they tell us it’s on the eShop *now*

Man would that be rad.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Xbox folks, I don't totally suck at this game. Please add me. GT: Suede Falcon

Just did. I’m awful at this game, I can make top 25 with a kill but I’m always snuffed our when it gets to 15.

I feel like my biggest problem is none of the guns behave how I expect them to.

That and the bunny hopping.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So I spent a decent amount of time chasing challenges yesterday. Stuff like "Kill 3 players in Tomato Town" and various treasure maps.

I then forced myself into combat and have pretty much doubled my kills. I'm still dying out in the top 10-15 but I'm getting 3 kills a game as opposed to one..

I've gotten much better at gunplay. I'm used to the speed of people falling and bunny hopping so I know how to time my shots. I also made sure to get a gun and test fire it so I understood it's rate of fire and recoil.

This game is a lot of fun.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 16, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I've only played solo and so far I've given up on using a slot for grenades of c4.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Season 3 was when they implemented the 60fps for consoles and added in some other jazz; I've always thought of the new seasons as just 'big updates'

Moving to 60fps on the One X was a game changer for me. I play way better and it's easier to track bunny-hoppers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Diving downwards with both sticks will cause you to free fall faster. I've seen plenty of streamers "wiggle" their character when the chute is deployed.

You definitely fall faster (with your chute) if you are moving forward, backward, left or right.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

99% of the time I laugh when I die. It’s always funny because I know the exact moment I hosed up and then I die.

It’s never unfair, it’s never frustrating. I just laugh it off and jump into another game. I’m not even good at this game.

Fortnite is not like Call of Duty or Battlefield where the enemy team can spawn camp and slaughter your team over and over again.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Do squad challenges count in 50v50?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I don't mind throwing Epic some cash for V-bucks. It's the same reason I don't mind supporting Psyonix through crate keys.

They're both pretty transparent with regards to updates and changes, they're not actively trying to gently caress me over, and their free updates are substantial.

I support them because I want other developers to take notice that this is the level of service I expect. Not bullshit EA cash grabs.

50v50 is fun but the 10 minute storm start is waaaay too long. Should be around 4-5 minutes in my opinion.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

I had several games where 50v50 was a clusterfuck of people stealing supply drops. More than once I'd be waiting on one, or shooting it down only to have someone build over me so they could open it instead. Or I'd open one and then someone would run up and grab the stuff out of it. Or worse, fly over from a jump pad from 100 feet away to steal it. I feel like it'd be better if they would have each one spawn 2 or 4 copies of each item that was in it. Maybe that would calm the loot sniping down some. But not every game was like that, and most of the good ones were where people didn't drop directly on the final circle from the start. It's very painful to run in if you dropped far away and didn't find a jump pad though.

TDIL you can shoot the supply drops down.

I’m such a scrub at this game. I’m 30 and this is the first game that makes me curse these drat kids and their reflexes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The people that go all-in for 50v50 are fools. The other poster is right, it's way more fun to slink around their area doing clandestine missions to gently caress their poo poo up.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

i got into a pickaxe war with someone directly in front of a chest once because we both knew if we tried to open it the other guy would steal the gun straightaway

Fights like these where you can tell that you’re both panicking are super hilarious. I ain’t even mad half the time I die on this game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It means someone on Fortnite's Social Media team is tripping on something.

I haven't thought about Brian Peppers in over a decade.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I survive to the top 20 almost every time by simply staying away from Tilted.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Asnorban posted:

It's one of the few games that I've found fits in really nicely with having a young kid. I can squeeze in a game or two, never worry about having to save, and if needed I can turn it off at any moment without any impact. Also PUBG is depressingly ugly and bland looking. I know that's why I started playing this over PUBG when I wanted to try a Battle Royale game.

I explained this in the Switch thread, but for me it boils down to this:

Much of PUBG is spent looting hideous environments for low reward. Then you spend an assload of time putting red dots on guns and trading friends for the correct ammo type. PUBG is very time consuming and not often rewarding. It is a hell of a rush though.

Fortnite provides similar excitement without the jank, the inventory management, and depressingly long looting cycle that plagues the first 20 minutes of a PUBG round.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'm not on PC, but even with a One X, 4k, and HDR the game is kind of ugly. It's more to do with the color palette than the visual fidelity. Brown everywhere.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It’s definitely because it’s free. As an adult with income I can buy any game I want.

Timmy has to wait for his birthday, Christmas, or until Mom will drive them to trade in 7 games to get a new one.

It being free is huge for kids.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I booted up PUBG the other day and it was way better than the video suggests. Probably 45fps, they put out a patch about twice a month.

It's still a hideous game with no auto-aim on consoles, but they make some pretty solid improvements every few weeks.

I wish I could drop it out of 4k and turn off HDR to get a little bit more oompf out of it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I just got an email from Epic saying there was a series of unsuccessful logins for my account. Changed my password and popped that 2 factor.

Protect ya neck, people.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think my problem is, and I understand that I could be 100% wrong, is that the guns don’t provide enough feedback.

Like, I know how an M16 should work. But every time I use one in this game it puts rounds everywhere but the crosshairs.

To me they just lack oomph. Maybe I’m just legit bad (entirely possible) but none of the guns behave how I would expect them.

Again, this is a personal problem but it’s currently wrecking me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Jesus, that is huge. I'm not all up in the MCU but that is a big deal.

I'd like to know more and I would also like to guess this will make them a bajillion dollars.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

chopstixdiva posted:

Has anyone had issues with chests? I opened a couple yesterday and the loot fell through the floor and I wasn't able to collect it. I was able to see it (the box that provides item description showed up), but when I went to collect it, my character would just shake their head. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

Sorry for the poor description, if I can get a vid or pic, I will share. :(

Not quite, but:

I opened on on the precipice of Dusty Divot only to have the loot fly out, fall off the edge, and land on a slope that I was unable to stop on long enough to pick up the loot.

Then I died.

Seemed more like lovely placement than a bug though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think their comment of “soldier dudes” was more of a indication that a lot of skins seem to be generic military types.

Cargo pants, tank top, pouches on belt. I don’t think they meant it in a sexist way.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So my Xbox account (the one with a pass and coin) is on a nameless Epic account.

My switch account is linked to my Epic account.

Is there a way to get my Xbox moved off the nameless account to my Epic account?

They had a FAQ for doing it online but it would wipe the progress on my Xbox.

Anyone done this “?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

This?

https://fortnitehelp.epicgames.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2915240

tl;dr: Your progress is on a nameless Epic account, if you promote it and unlink your XBL account that Epic account still has all the data (your XBL loses access to it unless you relink your XBL account to it, hence it 'wiping' your XBL's Fortnite data). If you want to play with your XB1 data on the Switch you want to promote the XBL's headless account and log in to the Switch with it. You wouldn't need to unlink your XBL account.

I tried doing that and it keeps linking to some gamer tag my brother made on my Xbox like 3 years ago. I guess I’ll try calling or submit a ticket and wait 100 years.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It seems like the same as the Xbox One version of Fortnite (I haven't played it on an Xbox One X).

The only good platform is PC anyway

It’s pretty rough on Switch. I’m used to 60fps on the One X with a great draw distance.

Switch has some super low res shrubbery and trees. Items fade out and pop back in when you scope (super noticeable in sniper battle.)

All in all it’s a fair trade to play handheld. I played one game and got two kills into the top 15.

Have not tried it docked.

I need gyro aiming though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

interpunct posted:

If you're playing on Switch or mobile, stats still aren't being tracked for either platform.

By the way, I love how the storm circles work at the endgame. I just got my first solo win of the season by killing one dude who was running in an open field while the tower camper got lost in the storm.

I agree. The end game should be less "this person got there early and poo poo out a fortress" and more "you assholes need to think on the fly."

Beastie fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Motion controls for Switch are so clutch. Saved my rear end once or twice where I normally would have been beaten.