Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Veritas posted:

what happens if you can't unlock some of the rewards in the battle pass before the season ends?

Don't worry, you buy your way to the end for only $1 per level!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Emron posted:

Please, someone, help me with my twitch prime gear. I beg of you.

You didn't mention it, but you need to link your PS4 account to your Epic account too.

That said, I know someone who has done all that and it still refuses to give him his Twitch costumes, so I dunno.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Feenix posted:

Hi all, I am new to Fortnite (PS4) and late to the party, but I finally tried it out this weekend and kind of dig it!

I'm super confused by the battle passes, v-bucks, items, tiers, stars, etc...

I am just curious (as I don't mind spending some dollars on enriching the game for myself) if anything is suggested or worth getting. I know it doesn't comprise a tactical advantage... just making sure if I want to have a different look, or get the most bucks/usability out of my purchase, if I should get a Battlepass, or just piecemeal purchase poo poo, or what...

[edit] Also what is it indicative of when my controller lightly vibrates for no apparent reason. Is someone nearby?

The battlepass is worth it if you play enough because it will allow you to earn enough Vbucks to buy each subsequent season's battlepass. It might not be worth getting now though, so late in this season. I'd recommend playing the last couple weeks of this season and decide if you like it enough to drop $10 for next season. It adds weekly challenges and earns you probably 10x the cosmetics than if you play without it.

The vibration is either a bug or a dumb attempt at some coded messages, if you believe reddit. Either way don't pay any attention to it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Feenix posted:

Not really ruining anything for me, but I am noticing if I have someone dead to rights in the open they get into a firefight with me and then QUICKLY build a wall up for themselves. Is there some kind of quick method of erecting a wall or are they just good?

On console, not really. The controls are what they are, so it's just a matter of muscle memory. It might help to just keep it simple for a while. Just select the stairs and keep them selected. If you're in a battle, throw down a few stairs and you can use them as cover, peek over them, or keep building them to get on top of someone.

Eventually you'll want to start switching between stairs, floors and walls quickly, but starting out with just stairs will be a big step up from not building at all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Throw five portaforts on top of each other

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone try the new builder control scheme on consoles?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nullsmack posted:

when were the electric traps in BR?

At launch

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

PSA since I didn't know this either, you don't have to individually click to place buildings, you can just hold down the buttons. So if you are doing stairways just keep running up, if you are building 1x1s then just spin while holding it. It helps SO MUCH.

If it makes you feel better they just added this a few weeks ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Enderzero posted:

In pubg I try to jump when the map marker is exactly perpendicular to the plane. I wonder if in Fortnite it makes sense to jump sooner then that and start aiming down to gain speed and head for valleys?

It's a pretty different strategy from PUBG since you can glide anywhere (at almost the same horizontal speed as no glider). There is no need to get perpendicular to maximize your flight distance. It also means you should be jumping before the plane is perpendicular to get there sooner. There is a sweet spot that varies depending on the distance from your target. I'm sure someone has figured out a formula using the bus' speed, falling speed, and the Pythagorean theorem; but it's easy to get a feel for it if you play squads. The people who jump correctly will beat the people who jump too early or jump when the plane is perpendicular.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

Somebody anybody, tell me why when I just join a squad match I can't be directly joined into the squads mic system...

It would improve gameplay hands down. And if you don't like the person just mute.

I just want to enter the game and be able to chat with teammates who know what the gently caress they are doing.....

It works this way on PS4 if they are using in-game chat.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Space Fish posted:

I absolutely adore how many players dropped shotguns like hot potatoes just because they're not GOLD TIER BEST TIER. The blue shotgun is still legit, you dork!

For reference: https://kotaku.com/fortnite-devs-completely-changed-how-players-use-shotgu-1825393053

This totally worked on me, despite completely understanding the patch notes. It got me using pumps a lot more often.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Epic has clearly been trying to encourage people to drop at unpopular spots with their weekly challenges. It makes sense that they would want Tilted gone. I'm sure people will just collectively decide on a new hot spot if they were to remove it, though.

Personally I'm hoping for a whole new map next season.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

It's weird that a game with no real incentivized reward for winning is so popular. Really makes you think

It's a game where you can brag to your friends about winning because its fairly rare. Especially when you're just starting out or you're 10 years old.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

prom candy posted:

I just can't picture EA choosing a consumer-friendly monetization strategy that favours long-term growth and revenue over charging for the base game, charging for in-game upgrades, charging for DLC that splits the player base, and then letting the game die in 3-6 months. I don't think they have it in them.

Their Titanfall 2 strategy was pretty consumer friendly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

In a game where they could basically do whatever they want with making skins, like 70% of the stuff in BR is soldier dudes

I'm sure it appeals to some people, they wouldn't keep doing it if those skins didn't sell, but it's just so boring

What are you talking about? Most of the skins are wacky costumes, not generic soldier drab.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

Hahaha. I wasn't there for this whole exchange, he was playing with another member when this went down.

He was asking us for our credit card number to get the battle pass...

Like dude we cool but not that cool.

I was going to ask why Epic hasn't added the ability to gift V-bucks, but then I remembered the emails I get every other day. I'm sure that's a can of worms they'd rather never open.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

If someone's that persistent in trying to access your account you should turn on 2FA immediately.

What are people even trying to do by accessing Epic accounts? I assume its fortnite related, since it only started once Battle Royale got big. I guess they would take PC player accounts and rack up purchases, and then use or sell the accounts?

Anyway, I play on console and epic doesn't have any payment info, so I'm not too worried. As far as I know, unlocks are tied to PSN accounts; not epic accounts. I did change the password to a unique, stronger one though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Hi Cody! Turn on two factor authentication immediately! Maybe visit https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and check if your non-unique not-strong password has been leaked via data breach in the past.

Yeah my email is on a million breach lists, which is why I made sure my Epic account was a unique password. There's nothing they can do in my account - my PSN isn't even linked to it (and purchases were made through Sony). I guess they can have my free copy of Shadow Complex that I made the account for.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I only played that mode a couple times and only got to fight Thanos once, but I'm pretty sure the guy who had it was an idiot:
https://streamable.com/y1f14

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

prom candy posted:

How do I get explosive weapon eliminations? I feel like I only get a rocket launcher at all like maybe 1/20 games.

If it's a challenge, you can cheese it by throwing grenades at downed players.

I get most of my explosive kills these days with sticky grenades. I always take them if I'm playing squads.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bango skank posted:

Is there some trick to aiming the clinger that I'm missing? I haven't managed to stick anybody regardless of the range, but I'm getting stuck by people from AR ranges and it's not like I'm just sitting still for them.

Hold down the throw button and it will show you the arc and impact point.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm okay with adding items temporarily and removing them later. I like fresh new stuff being added constantly but don't like the number of available items constantly growing over time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

After they added the wheel they still let you only assign one emote if you wanted, and pushing the button would just do it.

I haven't tried it but now if you assign only one, you get a wheel with only one option? Seems stupid when they had it working the other way before.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I buy the battlepass now is there really enough time to do the things required to earn the next battlepass, or am I better off waiting the couple weeks for the new season?

Hard to say, really. You would be placed at whatever tier you're currently at (and get all the previous tier rewards). You would unlock 7 weeks of challenges all at once, so tier progress would be pretty quick. I don't think it would be too hard if you're playing daily.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How does fall damage work in this game? I feel like sometimes I slide down a hill a little too quickly and take damage, but last night I was playing and came across someone building a gigantic sky fortress, and I mean a crazy tall structure, so of course I did what any sane person would do and I threw a grenade at the base. When it all came crashing down, I assumed the person building it would be dead but they somehow survived to shotgun me while I ran in to loot their corpse with a grenade in my hand instead of a gun.

Lesson learned, but I have no idea how they survived

They probably had one of the new bounce pads up there. Those things will negate any fall damage so they're a good safety feature to throw down if you're high up. A jump pad would save you too, but it doesn't sound like he parachuted.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Seltzer posted:

On xbox the rb1 button isn't being used when not building.
Aren't R1 and L1 used for switching guns?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bango skank posted:

I didn't mean for the challenge, I mean the little progress bar that usually circles the revive button-prompt as you're holding the button down to revive somebody(I've been playing on xbone, so it circles the X button specifically in this case.)

When this happens, you can still see the green circular progress bar above their name, even if you don't see the big timer on your screen. It also shows in the player list in the top left. So you can still estimate how much time you have left.

This is on PS4, at least. I'm sure they will fix that bug in the next major update.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That event was pretty impressive. All the in-game background storytelling they've done the past two seasons has been great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

el B posted:

And lol at people who feel like xims are cheating, and then spend hundreds of dollars for a controller with paddles and 3inch analog sticks.

It's kind of a moot point in this game since it has native KB+M support.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've played 425 matches this season, easily got to tier 100 in the battle pass, and am still only at level 67 out of 80 for that last unlock. :sigh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They're not afraid of throwing together two unrelated themes or subverting people's expectations. After the comet hit, the obvious theme was movie studio stuff, but they slowly turned it back into superheroes and government cleanup stuff.

I wonder if they will do an in-game event to end the season, like the map being swallowed into a time rift or something. The missile launch was such a big success for them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Philthy posted:

The amount of people who simply ignore ammo bins is amazing.

It was even better before they made the tops yellow.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nobody takes the minigun. It's the last thing that needs a nerf.

I'm still not sure I understand this new SMG. It looks like very similar stats but with slightly more damage and a smaller magazine. Did they just want to change the model and had to call it something new?

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 17, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Lower RoF and a smaller magazine is huge. The Tac SMG was flat out overpowered IMO, because the sheer volume of fire it put out combined with its patched improved accuracy and bullet damage meant that you could melt just about anyone by merely holding down mouse1. And despite being touted as the close range shotgun alternative, you could still do more with it at a distance than you'd think thanks to those buffs. Better than non-tap fired silent SMGs, possibly.

Those two stats also fundamentally control how many lucky headshots you can get by madly spraying at someone.

I found this on reddit which seems to show the same RoF and increased damage:

Although comments are saying accuracy is worse, so it's not useful at long range anymore. I dunno, it just seems weird to "vault" the tactical SMG and introduce a brand new weapon.... The tactical SMG! In the end it's just semantics though. I don't mind them making the SMG more of a close-range weapon. I actually preferred the silenced one after the buff so I'm glad they didn't touch that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How gigantic of a dick move is it to group up with console players while on PC? I feel like that's putting them at a pretty huge disadvantage if they normally only get queued with console players. Or is it normally cross-platform anyway?
On PS4 you're typically only matched with PS4. If you party up with pc+PS4, you'll be put against only other cross platform parties. Every squad you meet should have at least one PS4 and one pc player. So it's not that unfair. I play on PS4 and don't mind it.

I can't speak to how other consoles handle matchmaking.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If I'm reading the patch notes right, it sounds like you can destroy any (player-built) wooden wall with two pickaxe wacks, whether you get a crit or not. I'm not sure how long it used to take, but I would guess like 4-5 hits. Taking down towers by pickaxe should be more viable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Squiggles Unite posted:

I made the mistake of looking at the new patch thread on Reddit and the amount of loving crying and bitching is so beyond embarrassing. You would think the patch promised to kill all their pets and families with how big of a poo poo they're throwing. Its a game and its for fun, relax. Not too mention Epic has been changing and experimenting with different poo poo for the entire games existence, so this particular set of "balances" probably won't hang around long.

Epic has been very receptive to fan opinions, and all it's gotten them is an entitled community that knows if they scream loud enough, they'll get the changes they want.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mongoose posted:

Hot off the Press!

So they didn't touch suppressed SMGs? I feel like those have been a secretly OP weapon ever since the big SMG buff a few weeks ago. I hope everybody doesn't just move to those and get them nerfed too.

edit: I missed the line about damage falloff. Still, I think it's going to be the better SMG option over the standard SMG.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 26, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

quote:

The Bloomberg story also reveals one of Sweeney's favourite drinks: 60 percent water and 40 percent Diet Coke mixed together.

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone left the cake out in the rain. :v: