Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Generic advice for new players:

Save The World.
- Build a list of people you have fun playing with. Its a better game when you play with like minded people. Even another warm body you know you can trust is better than be left to the randomness of randoms.
- Don't build the stop the husk. Thats the wrong mindset. And don't build with torret defense games in mind. This is not a torret defense game. Build so that defenders are happy defending. You are building fortress, and the players are the ones defending it. Make their work easy.
- If somebody build something that seems stupid. Wait to see how it works in actual combat. Some people have weird building styles that do work. If it don't work, fix with your resources. Getting into a fight to build "right" will just waste everyone mats.

Battle Royale.
- Stay in the borders of the circle.
- If you don't have shields, your priority #1 is getting shields.
- Asume somebody is camping somewhere with a sniper rifle, so don't relax in the open in the middle a field.
- Learn when be aggressive and when to rat around.
- Camping is a valid strategy
- Play to beat your own records. Most of the game is luck based, not skill based, so don't get too angry if you get killed in a unfair way. It happens even for high skill players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ben Me Lowtax posted:

That also reminds me of my third favorite time in this game. I was playing one of the "expand your sheild" PvE missions and I decided before I went searching for other players, I would harvest the entire area and build walls along my borders, all of them, every inch. When I brought people in to finish the mission, they were very confused. I basically got to sit and do nothing for two and a half minutes and watch some bewildered pubbies run around for 100 Vbucks.

GOTY 2018

The game don't have glass, but you can somewhat make something like glass by making metal walls and weakening them.
With this idea you can build a box around the spawn, and without edit rights, they will not escape this.... terrarium.

If thats your thing. I would prefer them trying to help, even if they die every few seconds.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

With the money they are making every month with BR, they can pay somebody to make STW players happy, and I think thats what they are doing.

Releasing QoL changes is not the worst a game can do. If they can do that and polish, I don't really need a new biome or recorded Ray voicelines.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

IT tooke them 20 days to solve my vbucks problem. Giving them money now is a gamble for how saturated is their service. They are making money so fast (120 million dollars/month, number pulled from my rear end) that they have problems counting it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I finished all the science nodes in Fortnite. (lets ignore the two vehicles ones, not gonna wait two days to post this)

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/981954071505637379

This is the neares thing to beating Fortnite, so Yay me. I won Fortnite.

Whats next? Do I get to wait for Fortnite 2?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Were you on PC or PS4?

PS4. Why? I dropped money on the Battle Royale on my cousin account so he can play with a skin of his preference. They ended adding the vbucks.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

:stoked:

I need to figure out how to get my PS4 share videos on YouTube, I've got a great one where I did roughly the same thing but at a building; I threw up some walls and a single floor, dropped the trap on it but it was still setting up as the guy ran over it, so I whacked him a few times with my pickaxe to get him to back into it. Lucky he was trash with the AR, but drat did I feel badass.

Just link your account. That alone is enough to start uploading.

I use the SHAREFactory app that come with the console to edit the video. Mostly trim the boring parts to make has small video has possible.
Getting used to SHAREFactory is a good investment of your time, probably.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is amazing the things that people can do in Fortnite.

Like that dude that won a game by landing in a tree and staying in that tree the whole game.
Or today, a guy that managed to cross the whole map by riding rockets (firing a new rocket and flyiing that one every few seconds).

And they have yet to enable fat heroes in BR. I can't imagine what awesomeness await us when they add a Kyle of Penny skin.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The StW event.... nothing groundbreaking. But I just love me some Fortnite event shenanigans. The survival map is surprising big, they probably want to show us that they are working in the biome, and that maybe some year in the future we will get to play this biome. Or maybe BR will get a desert map. Whatever.

I got the neon blade. Like it, like it based on the perks I got, seems promising. Then the attack sound is fun, and the strong attack seems that will be useful (the character move in to or three circles dashing).

Got the neon constructor and is very unique. I have to try it. The perk (explosion from the base that send the husk flyiing away) require 30 kills, and thats too much, but it can still kind of fun. Also got the soldier. Nothing broken, but seems fun too. Looking forward for he sniper.

Nothing I see seems too OP, but I think the devs may have made a mistake somewhere and allow some OP combo nobody has found yet. I like when games add stuff with unique properties for the potential. Also, for fashion purposes alone would be cool to use neon weapons with a neon character :D next thing we will ask will be a night map :D

The increase of size of stacks is something out of this world. I will have to learn the game again. By grinding easy and dumb my metal stack is already 5000. Feel realy good about that.

Looking forward to put a lot of hours in this event, despite not having any carrot that I believe will be a must have. Everything seems kind of tame.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The minigun is useful has a tool to punish players that build something that can't defend it (very rare, niche usage).

Two possible solutions:
- Remove the movement restrictions, and it comes with 600 bullets (his own ammo).
- Cause some suppression effect, making the aim of people off while they get shot.

I don't think it's worth it, minigun is not how people want to play the game. Minigun when it works, feel cheap, when don't works, feel bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Another supernoob advice is the mode (forgot how is called, is in setting) that let you override the enviroment so small objects don't block building. Is a no brainer.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

They seems to have a plan for Save the World and is to lure people to pay 40$ where they can get a slow drip of vbucks to buy BR skins. Is not a bad plan and all the QoL changes are wellcome but without level restrictions you can get the equivalent of a level 4 guy afk leeching in a destiny raid. They have yet to address the fundamental problem of save the world: is a coop game where being greedy and lazy pays off, while helping people is decrimental.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

When I play, I do camps and survivors so I dont contribute with my traps and hard earned mats to some guy levelling so he can afk in even higuer levels.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My comet theory:

In every game, after the minute 8, the comet will destroy tiled towers. So people can still jump in tiled towers, but have 8 minutes to go somewhere else.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 18, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I haven’t played much but I feel like especially early on a lot of deaths are just poo poo luck that someone else got the drop on ya. Of course I can’t finish anyone off with my terrible aim so I am the exception.

Unrelated, but I feel like Fortnite and now mobile PUBG may carve the way for how many games are priced. I’d like to think they’ve struck a happy medium between completely F2P and greedy like EA was for Battlefront 2. Although they just might have been in the right place with at the right time by being the first BR game to be free and then charge for cosmetics. While I don’t think $25 million is going to be kept consistent, I feel like staying power comes from making good changes and interesting game modes.

poo poo, if people realized this is how you should monetize or buy into a game then mobile gaming as a whole would benefit instead of companies pumping out simple anime titty candy skinner boxes.

Some bussines models only make sense if you are one of the top 2 games in a genre, but not solid enough for others

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

gently caress e-sports.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

New favorite theory:

The meteor is just another box with loot, but will include future themed weapons/space weapons/melee weapons. Will hit randomnly in the map and attract looters from a wide radio.
Opening the meteor box could unlock random skins/decoration props.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 26, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My spies say that Fortnite made 223 million dollars in march.

Titled towers was a mistake, and not one with a recover solution. Is planetside 2 indar base "The Crown" all again. But since people like it, oh well.

Maybe moving it a bit to the side of the map would help,... apparently thats what "save" PÜBG from the same problem.

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 27, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In my headcanon Viva Piñata exist somewhere in Fortnite universe (maybe in a alternate dimension)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPPbVnDoFE

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I gifted my cousin a truckload of vbucks, and he bought some crappy skin and I don't know what else. None of the good stuff.
At least he will look unique from the now on.

Also failed the mark to buy a cool skin for myself. I don't play BR often, but I still did not wanted to play has a noskin.

You would have trough that founders get one free skin. But no.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

if is like other mod replays in other games, is because it works by recording the network communication, and the id's may change from a update to the next

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I feel that Fortnite has been raising the bar constantly since somebody found a glitch to mount a rocket, and instead of nerfing it they embraced the silliness of it.

The bar is so high just now, than it will be very hard to "pay" for the hype the whole meteor thing have created.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I killed 200 survivors to make space to all my new weapons.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Man and his dog posted:

I'm just like how do you not have a mic....

You know how much easier the game is when I can TALK to you.

I got the headset that CAME with this console!

Oh you lend it out. Jesus. Ok.

Thanks for your interesting feedback on this issue.

In my experience 90% of french have a open mic and a conversation with their girlfriend, wife and mother at the same time.
10% of germans are 11 years old with fun but hysterical attacks.
20% of british are high on weed and have the time of their life.

I don't know how is open mics in USA, but in europe you often get people from 4 different countries. And if you don't speak 4 different languages, good luck.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cluncho McChunk posted:

It's obvious the developers care about a quality product whereas PUBG's developers are over there charging for their game that's still janky as gently caress while they're trying to sue people for making other Battle Royale games and citing their generic rear end frying pan and red bull ripoff drink as iconic elements of their game.

Their lawyers are better than their programmers, and their lawyers are loving dumb.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I use to be a modder, and a few of my friend modders have ended game developers, but most of them not. Modding and professional developers are two different types of people. I think. Modders are just like hackers, trying things to see how things break. Professional developers are more ..... well... pro.

So is a surprise to nobody that a game build by modders feel like a mod. And I have to asume the skills that make you a good modder don't make you a good manager of your company, so maybe is a poorly run company too. It seems like that, from the outside, maybe we are wrong.

But I am happy PUBG exist, because represent a flavour of Battle Royale that I am not interested in, but other people do like. Once others Battle Royales hit the market we will see how PUBG deal with it, I am sure Fortnite will always have a large population. Epic is killing it with all the upgrades and updates. Too bad bugs are starting to stack on each other and .... Epic has killed other games before.

/rant

Edit:

Even grognards are getting Battle Royales clones

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 4, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

prom candy posted:

love to pay $120 for a full game

This is actually a good point. EA believe games should cost 200$ and include micro and macro transactions. How the hell they are going to compete with PUBG or Fortnite with these retarded ideas. I guess they can sell a lot of preorders of a game that will sink in 3 months.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This game, heheh.

Sometimes I group with a dude. He is not very good at the game. Me neither. But when I group with him we coordinate without mic so funktastic that we always get top 10 in every game. This game have some secret qualities that run deep.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Woah, dude. This game is art.

Today I won a game where the randoms almost wiped, then I rushed in to different occasions with success.

Heres me rushing against a dude with a gold scar.

A good way to get better in this game is playing and just getting into it. Losing fear to try things, and learning what works and what not. Cooperate in squad helps a lot (sharing health potions, ammo and weapons).

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tomorrow we will have game devs jumping from the 23th floor in all other game companies.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Started playing this again because my main gaming buddies are favouring this over Overwatch right now and I felt left out, played it a while ago but didn’t do much for me. This afternoon I played some random squads matches and it was ok, so hilarious almost instant deaths and failed to kill anyone. My best return was making it to the final 10 purely by virtue of never encountering anyone until there was ten of us left and the first person I met owned me.

I do enjoy the concept I just wish I sucked a lot less at the combat.

Is a silly game. Continue a bit more, trying different things, laughing at "that just happened".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

So thanos can restore shields by killing enemies. Good.

But I don't see how can regain health. So taking it too soon can be a bad idea, you will die to chip damage.

Thanos gameplay seems similar to "hulk" in that he jump and smash. He have a ray beam, but I have not see it destroy buildings (I have seen a short gameplay video).

Thanos will be much more powerful in consoles, since aiming is harder. In PC thanos life will be way short because sniper making his life very hard.

Pro mode is jumping and using the ray beam from the sky.

I want to see a video of thanos destroying tiled towers and one video of thanos dancing all the game dances.

Edit:
I was wrong. With good management thanos is unkillable. You only have to play smart.

Edit:
My second wish was fullfilled. Thanos on TT. He just fly trough buildings like they are not there. You can't hide from Thanos in TT.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 8, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seditiar posted:

To be fair, Thanos isn't really OP except for the start. 2 decent players can easily kill him in a few seconds if they use a scar. There's not enough bloom in the world to make you miss him. :v:

Aim to the head.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I killed Thanos.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/993949349708214275

Kind of easy. The movement options are limited, and you only have to do chip damage until it dies. You have a huge strategy adventage in that you always know where is him.

I ambushed a Thanos, put 3 clinky grenades on him, and then finished him with a gold scar.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/993949229948329985

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seditiar posted:

Which is also big as hell. Thanos is way too weak and they decided to nerf him anyway.

Yea. What the hell about that?

Thanos is a puppie. I guess was nerfed for some people, not us?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Kyle and Sarah deserve to be in BR.

Johnesy is goofy and I dumb his hate face.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

An opportunistic rear end in a top hat strategy for the LTM event:

Since the storm advance so fast. If you land far from the circle you are literally dead.

My strategy is to land in a town in the opposite side of the crater and the circle, so I can farm a city that is empty or mostly empty, then use the hop rocks to avoid the storm.

I pay special attention to people that land in this empty town, or that are in the crater. I may sacrifice myself to get 2 or 3 quick kills this way. People that is running from the storm are easier to kill than others.

This strategy is not very good because other people have the same idea.

Another strategy is to camp the lake, when Tilted Towers is outside the circle. The theory is people will abandon the city and have to cross a lake while the storm is behind him. Again, is not a good strategy because most people that drop in TT die theres, and the survivors are smart enough not to try to use the lake in his escape route.

I think this game would be 500 times better If they removed the ugly burst rifle. Nothing worse than opening a chest and getting it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

prom candy posted:

One thing I realized is I don't really understand how cursor placement affects building.

I think the wall just snap to grid to a imaginary grid you don't see but exit in the world. If you move the cursor the game will suggest the wall that is nearest from the cursor to that imaginary line. Measuring the distance in your screen, not on the map.

Or thats how I presume it to work. I just build and don't think much about it.

It may be even one of these things were different people have different appeals.

---

BR map ignores the grid and hills and other mountains are softed ignoring it. thats why in some places when you build the wall appear undeground, while in other places seems to hover.

On STW the maps are generated on the fly before the first player join and strictly follow the grid system (they still look great. Fortnite map generator is one of the great ones ever made, next to Minecraft).

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 10, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

I know BR is the hotness but what's the best way to get into STW and make friends?

About making friends:

It use to be helping people do SSD missions.

People try to solo SSD to avoid terrible teammates, and fail. try again and fail again. When they get a useful and cooperative teammate, they are so grateful they want to help you on whatever you need.

Problem is, you find that kind of people in chat, and chat is now wasted with trade request.

I guest the best way to find people searching for help doing SSD missions is discourse or maybe some thread here in SA.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is good that we are getting this, but it seems to come pre-nerfed and will probably (no doubt) have horrible bugs. Anyway another cool thing to do in the game and grind is always good.