Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Curious which weapons the vending machines will give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Putty posted:

I've been thinking of playing this game for awhile now. People play the PvE mode right? From what I've seen it got shafted by the battle royale takeover.

They did get shafted. I was extra salty after reading that they started development of BR 5 loving days after PvE's launch. They're slooooooooowly making it slightly better as of late, but bringing in new major bugs with every patch as well.

They haven't done a single environmental upgrade in the 9 months it's been live. area 2, 3 and 4 are still the same as 1.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Real pro tip: put them on your mouse thumb buttons so you can freely move while switching between them.

This is terrible imo. I find it much easier to keep track of others/my crosshair when I don't have to use my thumb to press buttons instead of stabilizing my mouse. Even the most die hard streamers/players usually only use 1 maybe 2 buttons from their mouse (excluding Fire/ADS).

E: It's not really stabilizing I guess, it just feels weird to me. I'm sure it can be accurate as well but I'd much rather just press a button on my keyboard (and isn't somewhere around the F keys either).

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 3, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

For sure add Kraftyy to the good streamers to watch list. Kraftyy GOAT.

He's really good, but I honestly think HighDistortion is better than anyone out there. Really chill streams as well, which is refreshing.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Streamer betterness comparisons are lame. Anyways, I wouldn’t particularly recommend HighDistortion to OP because his entire commentary consists of complaining.

Much like Daequan who does two things, complaining or clinging to his platonic ideal of Fortnite meta, double pump.

Eh, I don't see how it's any different as saying X player is better than Y player in basically any game. As for consisting of complaining, I haven't really noticed that a whole lot, apart from the few salty games. But everyone has salty games sometimes.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's not about salty games, it's that he always just moans and moans and moans "I wish Epic would drop everything they do and fix bugs". We get it, man, there's not need that to repeat it day in day out every time something unsightly happens. In other words, there's hardly ever anything I'd call positive on his stream, in my experience. I still watch him for plays and strats, but it never has or will be my chill stream.

As for X is better than Y, in my opinion there's no meaningful difference between normal players watching Myth, Dakotaz, Kraffty, Ninja, Shroud, HighDistortion, Daequan, NICKMERCS, KingRichard, etcetera. They all are so far out there that any real or perceived difference in their skill levels is neither observable nor can be taken advantage of past their general styles, like Krafty's 20 second ziggurats on an empty spot vs Ninja's trick shots requiring less fear than water in Sahara vs Shroud's flicks at limit of human reaction times.

Guess we just prefer different vibed streams.

As for the difference for "normal" players, you don't have to be top 1% to see a difference. I agree that they're all way above the average player though.

santanotreal posted:

Yeah, that’s assuming the player base stays this high forever. But new maps detract people while splitting the player base. And instead of learning the new map, a lot of people move on to the next flashy game. And people move on to new games all the time anyways. For long term success, they need to find a different way to keep people playing. And I think new maps are the opposite of that.

PUBG's map is 4 times bigger than the one in Fortnite. If you've played for hundreds of hours already, you'll learn a new fortnite map within a week easily.

I'm honestly hoping the Llamas are a test for chests being randomly placed as well (just not as random). That way you won't have to learn a map so thoroughly because chest spawns aren't relevant anymore. And chests are easily the most time consuming part to learn of a map, imo.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 3, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I challenge anyone to objectively describe how any of the streamers I mentioned is an objectively less skilled player than any other of them, in a way that lends to an arguments for/against watching any of the two. Unless it'll be a comedy aim comparison between NICKMERCS and Shroud.

I didn't actually recommend HD for the OP, as I don't think he's good new player material to watch. As for wanting new strats, Ninja is very chaotic in building so he's not really a good example imo, unless you want to make it work like him as well.

As for actual objectively looking at things, all you can do is look at stats really. But stats aren't entirely accurate either, as there's no ranked matches so it mostly boils down to sheer number of games played.

Edit: It's really easy in CS:GO though, because they face off against each other nearly weekly. And you really don't have to be a top tier player to see some pros are leagues above others.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nallears: So we are saying the same thing after all.

Yeah.. I guess we do. :v:

I do think it's important to make the distinction that HD is really great to watch if you want ~serious~ tactics/insight of the game. Whereas someone like Ninja for example, is pretty terrible to watch if you want to actually improve in the game. Watching someone have just sick aim (and in this case incredibly chaotic building as well), won't improve your own aim/building. Streamers like Myth, Kraftyy and HD are a lot better to watch for improving your own gameplay/decision making.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ninja can play relaxed/tactical and still be one of the best, but he just doesn't really do it on streams. And I can't blame him, if I were that good and playing a game without any ranking system whatsoever, I'd start doing a lot of random poo poo as well just to handicap myself a little bit and get more entertainment out of it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Agreed. I think flashy players like Ninja and Shroud may be somewhat valueable just to try to get your self out of "optimal strats" and try having serious fun, but definitely not mindful learning streams. If you want to learn, Myth/HD/Krafty are all great and well rounded players in my opinion. I would recommend against KingRichard and Daequan because they are Mr. Sniper and Mr. Shotgun respectively. Not sure about Dakotaz, reddit circlejerk likes him but the 5 minutes on his stream felt like Twitch sandpaper to me so I didn't bother much further.

Richard is a chill stream as well imo, but agreed on the preferential weapons. I typed out some poo poo about Ninja/Daequan mostly using shotties and Richard/Lupo being mostly glued to snipe-y weapons, but then I remembered I don't really watch them often enough anymore to actually know if they still do that.

I like Dakotaz when I just hear him on Discord via another streamer, and he's really good as well. But I can't really watch him on his own stream, he honestly cannot keep quiet for even a few seconds, and I just don't really like hyper streams. TimTheTatman is about the only exception, and I still don't know why. I just don't mind his yelling for some weird reason. :v:

(He's no pro player by any means though, not to the extent of other named on this page anyway).

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

teagone posted:

Dakotaz voice is grating as gently caress too. He sounds like he's struggling to hold in a fart when talking.

I've heard people saying he sounds like Badger from Breaking Bad, I thought it was pretty accurate.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Continuing streamer chat, what's the thread's preference for solo/duo/squad streamrs? I have no idea why, but I loathe watching non-solo streams unless it's like Ninja with Drake or Ninja with Shroud or some other hot shot celeb stuff.

I like HD + Dakotaz, they're almost the entirely opposite personality wise, but they average each other out pretty nicely. Tim + Ninja was neat as well, but is pretty rare. Tim + reaver is enjoyable, too. Tim works pretty well with most other streamers actually, a lot of them do.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I mostly just hate non-solos with 1 streamer and filled with non-streamers. If both are streaming then it's generally pretty great to watch.

E: I like Summit + Chad as well. I mostly watch solo squads, though.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Anyone keep up with King Richard or SypherPK? Been watching them while weighing whether or not to get into Fortnite. KR seems pretty chill during his late night streams.

KingRichard is great to watch as well. He does get way too salty at stream snipers at time though. (HD does as well).

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the ratio like of STW to BR these days

No one knows. I'm guessing a few hundred thousand concurrent players vs millions of BR.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Minrad posted:

stw is probably like 10k active players at most

Nah, no way. There's thousands of people in Twine Peaks, which requires hundreds of hours to get to. That and v-bucks missions have a shitton of BR players as well.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

With the money they are making every month with BR, they can pay somebody to make STW players happy, and I think thats what they are doing.

Releasing QoL changes is not the worst a game can do. If they can do that and polish, I don't really need a new biome or recorded Ray voicelines.

Agreed, I'm hoping for the sake of the game that they're going to do the harder QoL changes as well though, soon. Last changes looked amazing, but were also basically slider changes.

Edit: Going F2P would fix a lot of issues as well. As long as they properly address/punish spammers/scammers. They could keep all event maps open and you'd still have plenty of people to match up with. Whereas currently, you'd be player starved in most zones. Having Horde Bash back would be amazing.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 4, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

:siren: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-4-content-update :siren:

Vending machines
Many weapons now have First Shot Accuracy, changed weapons have their fall-off adjusted.
High explosives mode v2, super quick storm shields, more supply drops and more loot on ground.

Main game: reduced variance of resource from objects (was +/- 30%, now +/- 15%). Most wood resource values increasec by 10%.

Edit:

BR now follows PvE's patch rotation:

quote:

Starting this week, we are doing things a little differently. Every other week we will drop new content without the need for an update. These will be called Content Updates. This new cadence allows us to iron out more complex bugs, while continuing to provide fun content every week.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Kind of lovely, but does anyone know of a direct phone number for customer service for this? Some French speaking dick bought $208 worth of fortnite poo poo off my account somehow. I haven't played on PC since launch (I sometimes do it on PS4 but that account is still baseline)

I put in a ticket but it's been a week and they haven't answered it. Paypal won't let me dispute the transaction either. I would have put 2 factor auth on but, well, I haven't played since July 2017 and it was a dead game until they added Battle Royale.

Epic Games is a piece of poo poo company that 1) saves payment info without asking/notifying you and 2) doesn't lock said payment option when logged in from another IP. This results in some random rear end in a top hat on the other side of the planet, connecting via 14 different VPN's and proxies, to still be able to instantly buy poo poo via your payment option, again, without asking/notifying you.

TL;DR: If you can still get in, remove payment options from your account and add 2FA.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is probably the key, and yeah, it's 100% always snipers. it's never super early, it's always around ~30 people leftish.

Zig zag a bit at all times when running between places. And jump frequently (but not too frequently).

Running in a straight line will allow even the worst players to consistently hit you.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's so great about Raven? Am I missing a reference?

It's one of the first skins to be actually unique.

Ignoring the fact that 20% of the playerbase will have the same skin.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

A friend mentioned that the seasonal tokens were being rolled over to next season. Is that correct? The Shamrock Reclaimer seems kinda neat, but I'd bank my coin if there's a summer event on the horizon.

They announce when they remove gold, so I'd keep an eye on their social media stiemshield.one for that. Generally though, I believe they reset gold with every big event. But they change their mind almost daily so it's best to just keep up to date with their latest ramblings.

https://youtu.be/1WDigrm5q0I near the end he says to make sure to get the last goodies feom the store before the 11th.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 7, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Keithium posted:

As a newbie i wish this game had some sort of matchmaking it gets old getting owned by john wicks every game.

BuT iT wIlL sPlIt ThE pLaYeRbAsE.

That's how most of the people against it sound like. Yes, we definitely need a matchmaking system and afaik, they're working on it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

getting to play against people who actually know how to play this game is cool and something that basically no other game with this level of popularity does

PUBG does it. WoW does it. Almost every game does it? Matchmaking, that is.

Edit: Unless you mean that it's cool as a random newbie to see Bob the Builder go at it in a random game, in which case I agree. But that's still no argument against matchmaking, seeing as Quick Match will be plenty popular still, even with ranked matchmaking.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 8, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Otoh with matchmaking, an actual good system, you'd see yourself improving through ranks. And play against like minded people, with a region lock so you don't see some jackass with 300 ping lagging around. You'll still see plenty of players who are way out of your league even in ranked matches. Like people coming back after a break and having dropped a few ranks.

E: I realize region lock could be implemented outside of matchmaking as well, it's just easier to only enforce it there. And in the end it really doesn't matter, if you don't want matchmaking you can just stick with quick matches. It's not like you're going to run out of people with 3m+ concurrent players.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 8, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Feenix posted:

PS4 here. Good to know it's just skill and I wasn't missing something. :)

So do I keep unlocked things from Pass tiers once a season is over? Emotes, skins, models, etc?

From what I've read, Xbox players can rebind keys on controllers. But I'm not even sure you can see those on PS4. But maybe PS4 allows this as well? Either way, Epic did say they would probably allow people to rebind in-game.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is still hilarious to me that Epic is raking in the money by implementing a game style that they never thought of nor wanted when the game game out.

And making it in literally 2 months. :v:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Korhal posted:

Save the World related -
Any suggestions for completing a 3/3 Bluglo Siphon solo? Nothing but people AFKing/farming in my games anytime I try and pub it, or they collect the L1 rewards the second the first stage is over. I've tried and failed 3 times solo because I just can't do enough damage fast enough in Stage 3 before I get overwhelmed by reloading. At this point I'm getting really frustrated farming up 1k metal/a ton of trap mats just to fail because I can't damage fast enough or lobbers break the siphon with AoE through walls. I just want to get past this dumb quest so I can keep progressing.

What platform do you play on?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Sioux posted:

Isn't it some sort of jump pad? (actually it looks like a board with a spring below it)

The patch notes said it has stacks of tires inside the tower to quickly get on top.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

First shot accuracy seems to be gone. Also there's a builder controller layout now? From what I've read each bumper/trigger is a different building piece there.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

keyframe posted:

Haven't seen or found a port-a-fortress in like six games. Are they super rare?

Nah, I've seen people with multiple without getting them from corpses.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Nekrews posted:

I love that the dancefloors have posters of old Epic games, like Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall 2097. Really makes me nostalgic, since I loved those as a little kid!

PvE has a Facing Worlds poster, not sure if BR has this as well.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Blorknorg posted:

Not that anyone here actually plays "Save the World" anymore but I finally dredged up through the Canny quests a bit and made kind of a crap discovery. Previously the unvoiced and unfinished placeholder quests were largely 'eh, just do a mission that's level 46+' or such. They were sandwiched with a few normal-ish quests at the start and end of each tier but the 'do anything' quests served as a large section of 'meat'.

Sometime in the recent patches they changed this, I guess because everyone was just doing the quick and easy quests. They changed it to a rotating set of three options which all exclude the radar building, survivor saving, and encampment destroying missions. They didn't make the quests more interesting or rewarding or anything of course, just vastly more time and resource intensive and tedious!

Think that was changed around December, actually. :v:

My first thought was also that it sucked. But it's good really, because otherwise 99% of the maps played would be those 3, now it's just 75% of them. That being said, it does still suck, but on a longterm kinda thing it was a good change for the game, imo.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I feel like in a competitive scene, the minigun would be way better. Especially since the minigun is already a lot better in squads than in solo/duos.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Beastie posted:

Moving to 60fps on the One X was a game changer for me. I play way better and it's easier to track bunny-hoppers.

Posts like this is why I feel sorry for everyone who's still saying "you don't need/notice more than 30 fps" like loving idiots. :v:

Microsoft is beta testing FreeSync as well. Personally I think GSync is the same huge difference as going from 60 Hz to 144Hz. And I imagine going from 30 to 60 feels the same, too.

Can't wait for the console market to finally adapt to some of the PC race's premium features, it'll help reduce the cost for PC as well I imagine.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

They seems to have a plan for Save the World and is to lure people to pay 40$ where they can get a slow drip of vbucks to buy BR skins. Is not a bad plan and all the QoL changes are wellcome but without level restrictions you can get the equivalent of a level 4 guy afk leeching in a destiny raid. They have yet to address the fundamental problem of save the world: is a coop game where being greedy and lazy pays off, while helping people is decrimental.

Yup, one of the many reasons why I quit and refunded. I almost exclusively pug, and if I didn't pug, I'd team up with people I pugged with often. I easily pugged 1200 maps, and the amount of games I didn't have to carry 2-3 people, are in the double digits. Epic of course keeps posting "We're discussing how we'll address this" for 10 months straight. And people still thank them for posting that for the 998th time. :downs:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I almost always play with pugs and I rarely have trouble. I do almost always get top damage so I sort of feel like I put in more effort during combat, but just having warm bodies doing stuff makes it a lot less miserable than soloing anything. I haven't bothered refunding because I just got the founder's packs and I play enough that I feel they were worthwhile. I'm never spending money on vbucks, I already have too many weapons and heroes that I may never level up. I'm mostly playing to keep my daily quests clear lately, though. Still waiting for Canny Valley to have plot and stuff.

Fortnite is incredibly easy still in Twine Peaks. And Plankerton is basically a glorified tutorial. I don't mean that in a harsh way, just saying that leeches/AFKers don't really matter in Stonewood/Plankerton. Not as much anyway. But it's just the principle of the thing, I shouldn't have to do 90% of the damage in the majority of my games. And that includes non-trap damage. In the time I clear 2-3 smashers solo, the other 3 are still plinking away at a single Smasher. Getting the stats from them does help, yes. But the majority of the time (I'd say easily 75%) you'll have 1 or 2 level 60 players in a 100 map. I get about 0.5PL from those, they get 1-shot etc. they're literally useless. One of the upsides of almost never having a full lobby via pugs though, they're not actually preventing anyone from joining. :v:

That all being said, I wouldn't have refunded either if I had bought 0 V-Bucks.

Edit: They do need to properly address this though, it's going to be so much worse with the next Fortnite discount, or worse: goes F2P.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Feenix posted:

There are definitely people not only falling farther than me (WAY farther) before their chute kicks out, but people who fall faster than me with their chute out. Is this a perk of some kind? I see if EVERY game.

Same in PUBG. It's most likely network related. Tickrates in every single BR game are abysmal so chances are the server is just adjusting their position.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/8d9l3q/the_meteors_audio_spectrogram_produces_this_image

And yes, it's a real thing. :v:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Let's just say, LMG does decent damage at close range.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantOddRavenKappaClaus

Not enough experience yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if people started using LMGs over Shotguns, specifically people who have a hard time tracking bunny hopping people close by. If you miss your pump shot in that situation, you're 100% dead against LMG I'd say.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I wish PvE had BR's monetization system. Like in the alpha before Tencent started spreading its cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

At least they just (25m ago) hotfixed 50v50 storm damage, always deals 10 damage now. Lots of matches were won with people stacking healing and winning 2v30.