Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AAB posted:

that said, I do wish there was a sandbox or shooting range other than the loading island thing

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to play around with building materials and guns without dropping into a game.

I was watching a building edit mode tutorial on YouTube, and the guy kept getting interrupted by the circle and other players. He was good enough that he won the game, all while walking through how to make the pyramid into a ramp, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Seditiar posted:

This is terrible imo. I find it much easier to keep track of others/my crosshair when I don't have to use my thumb to press buttons instead of stabilizing my mouse. Even the most die hard streamers/players usually only use 1 maybe 2 buttons from their mouse (excluding Fire/ADS).

E: It's not really stabilizing I guess, it just feels weird to me. I'm sure it can be accurate as well but I'd much rather just press a button on my keyboard (and isn't somewhere around the F keys either).

My hand is too spazzy in most situations that I’ll end up hitting those side mouse buttons by accident, getting me killed. Much better for me to remap to around WASD

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

I wish they released a new map for BR already.

No. Please no new map ever. New maps is where BR games go to die.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

fargom posted:

Is this like some sort of super bad take or is there a large history of BR type games doing this and then failing that I am completely unaware ever existed?

Mostly hyperbole. I don’t want a new map to learn and deal with, and new maps split the player base.

ColHannibal posted:

I think hes referring to a bad desert map.

And also this.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I wouldn’t mind if different parts of the map were rotated in and out, like removing dusty depot and replacing it with a new place to explore, as an example.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

“Splits the player base” is the dumbest poo poo ever when you’re talking about the most popular game in the world and the maps aren’t paid dlc or something. Every good multiplayer game in the world has multiple maps and modes but people are scared of it in this game because the previous BR games that sucked did it poorly. Even if they were separate queues it would not be close to an issue when you have this many players. They could literally have 5 maps and 5 modes each with their own queue and be fine.

Yeah, that’s assuming the player base stays this high forever. But new maps detract people while splitting the player base. And instead of learning the new map, a lot of people move on to the next flashy game. And people move on to new games all the time anyways. For long term success, they need to find a different way to keep people playing. And I think new maps are the opposite of that.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Tim and Dakotaz are both enjoyable if they’re interacting with another streamer. On their own, they get old quickly

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Basically you should almost always be building or ready to build. It gives you a huge advantage against someone who is worse at building. So if you aren’t the one building, you’re the sucker about to get dropped on by the person building.

Streamers/pros and top players are of course on a completely different level, but some battles between great players sometimes involve close combat building, with almost no shooting for some periods of time. They’re each just trying to get the upper hand through quickly building on top of the other player.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Emron posted:

I posted about it around 9 posts up from yours, detailing that I’d already done the thing you screenshotted :v: :awesome: :iamafag: :coal: :cool: :getout: :getin: :smug: :smugdog:

I thought I’d done that, but could be confusing it with linking my twitch account to my PS4. I’ll look around to see if this is the link I’m missing tonight. Thanks dude.

But did you see The Friggin Epic Maplestory Mushroom Guy’s screenshot? That should solve your problem

Calm down, man. You asked for help, he provided help. If it’s still not working after following all those steps, you’ll have to contact Epic about it. Not much more someone in these forums can do for you.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

StabMasterArson posted:

Firing a single shot at a guy to have him poo poo out a castle sucks

On the other hand, not instantly dying in a field to a guy hiding behind a tree is really awesome.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Withnail posted:

They must put you with better players if you start winning matches, because poo poo just got real

There’s no matchmaking. Just luck of the draw.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Matchmaking is bad and lame. I enjoy having both tougher and weaker opponents in a game. Gives a greater variety and allows you to get better by facing tougher competition.

Constantly playing only around the same skill level is frustrating when you have a bad game (or few games) and less satisfying when you do well.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Beastie posted:

Is it my bad luck or do weapons/crates not really spawn in the little shacks and rundown houses outside of some of the named locations?

I don’t think any of the single square shacks or towers spawn chests. Anything larger typically has a chance to spawn a chest.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I look forward to the creative ways people will use this on enemies

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AAB posted:

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/984395794311733248

lmao

also "more than 45 million players" hachi machi

Who the gently caress puts 14 hours into Fortnite mobile...

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Mini gun generally only works against bad players, and even then not consistently. Way too niche to be worth using a slot that could be utilized by a different weapon, grenades or health.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems like there are a lot of trap weapons in the game. In my person opinion:

- SMG: too much spread to use at medium range, but not as effective as shotgun in close.
- Literally any pistol: I absolutely just walk by purple pistols all the time.
- Pump action shotgun: yes it does 30 more damage than the combat one, but the rate of fire is way lower. If you can land every shot every time it's a beast, but otherwise it is outclassed by the combat shotgun in every way. It also only does 95 damage re wiki, so even a perfect non-headshot requires a double tap.
- Minigun: see above
- Grenade launcher: just my personal opinion, but because these don't explode on contact they are very situational.

I was going to say scoped assault rifle, but I didn't know that it was hitscan and not projectile like the sniper rifle, which can make up for it's terrible damage.

Also, rarity seems to have very little effect on stats? Looking on wikis it seems that it's only a minor bump. Granted any bit helps, but focusing on rarity seems not that effective unless you are breaking some sort of damage gate.

Silenced pistol is decent to hold on to if you don’t have a better alternative, especially since you can medium-long distance plink at someone without them knowing where it’s coming from. Also good for destroying cover without giving away your position.

Deagle is fun for headshots medium-long distance, but again generally if you don’t need that slot for something else or you’re just screwing around

Pump shotty>tac shotty all day. You can one-pump headshot someone with full health and shields. Decent meta is to hold on to one of each. First shot with the pump, then switch to the tac if they’re not already dead

Grenade launcher is better than rockets IF you learn how to use it effectively. Rockets are slow and one shot reload, which means generally are ineffective against even decent players. Grenade launcher can take down an entire base very quickly, with no chance of the other player building up in time. Best bet against a grenade launcher is to abandon base (if your opponent uses it well)

Scoped AR is great for long distance if you don’t have a sniper, but it’s lower damage and low rate of fire mean it’s an after thought compared to any other rifle.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Feenix posted:

Thanks Guys, yeah I was aware of the elevation and forced chute, but I've seen (nearly every game, practically,) some variation of:

1) Deploys chute MUCH lower than me over the same elevation terrain.

2) Chute deployed BEFORE they are in my downward eyesight and they pass me WAY faster heading down.

Best guess is tick rates or latency or whatever, but it looks very much a thing (not all jumpy or laggy) and happens quite often.

I’ve seen the same, including with someone deploying much higher than me, presumably forced. As others have said, the calculation of when to force open a shoot is probably just a wonky mechanism with inconsistent results

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

el B posted:

Tryhards?

People who are good at the game, and thus are clearly putting way too much effort into being good.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
20v20v20v20v20 is much better than 50v50. I was actually pretty bored in 50v50. 20x5, you had multiple teams dropping one location and was instantly fun with continuous fighting between large teams.

50v50 there’s an awkward amount of time where a few people die, but you’re mostly gathering resources with 0 chance of interaction with the other team. Then everyone meets in the final circle for a confusing mess of building, people trolling teammates and rocket spamming.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AAB posted:

can you stick the sticky nades to teammates?

Yup there’s already people sticking them to teammates who then run at enemies to blow them up

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

ptkfvk posted:

just ran into my first squad playing in solos. 4 dudes just running along, i thought they were about to fight and wanted to join in. they turned and focused me and ran off.

I’d report them (or at least the one you spectated when killed)

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’d settle for meteors randomly destroying a named location within each zone.

As long as it also always destroys Tilted

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Here's another million dollar shitpost pitch - make loot lake bigger and place tilted on the island.

Get rid of the island, put TT under the lake.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, fortnite really does not need to worry about "splitting the player base." it's literally one of the most popular games in the entire world. if they split the base, both halves will still loving dwarf every other game's player base except maybe PUBG and Overwatch.

And it will be like that forever and ever, especially if you split the player base while it’s at peak popularity.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

wa27 posted:

It's a game where you can brag to your friends about winning because its fairly rare. Especially when you're just starting out or you're 10 years old.

Or really bad at video games. Don’t leave me out of your categories

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Budget Dracula posted:

finally won a round but the replays on PS4 are corrupt?? :arghfist:

Anytime they have even a minor update, it corrupts all replays. They’re hoping to fix so it only corrupts every two weeks during larger updates.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Meteors randomly crashing through buildings seems like a dumb gimmick. Am I wrong?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

So I'm kinda dipping my toes into this game, but it seems to not like solo players very much. As in, full teams get put in the same games as all the solo guys. Am I correct in thinking this or are people actually forming impromptu alliances?

Through a few hundred solo rounds, I’ve never run into anyone teaming in solos. There are plenty of fights involving multiple people, but as soon as more than three people are fighting, it’s generally smart to find a way to hide/escape til some of the confusion dies down. Aka, there’s only one or two people left in the fight and is now a good time to rejoin the fight.

Too many times I’ll die in a multi person solo-queue fight because I kill one person, which gives a second person a chance to kill me before I can change my aim to them.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I just started playing and it was defaulting to Squads for some reason. I played 3 games and immediately was swamped before I realized I wasn’t in solos.

As for my biggest difficulty, building, is it just a matter of comfort or should I bind everything to my mouse?

Matter of comfort. Most people rebind to the keys around WASD such as Q, E, Z, X, and C with maybe a couple on the mouse if you’re comfortable with that.

At this point, most players are comfortable with the basics of building and strategies with building, so you’ll have some catching up to do. Two easiest things to learn are quickly building a 1 x 1 and always building ramps when starting engagements to get height advantage and cover.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

It’s beautiful

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Feenix posted:

Sorry, I totally didn’t even notice that. :)

I failed to notice it at first as well. I felt pretty dumb when my eyes suddenly decided to notice the new button despite searching for it for a few minutes.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

You are really hosed in this game if you get unlucky and find no shields.

What is the dmg reduction with shields btw? It doesn't feel like 100 shield = 100 health.

Shields are essentially health in every way except in how you add health (bandages, med kit) vs add shields (shield potions or whatever). No damage reduction on shields, just an extra barrier from death. Only way to die while still having shield left is from storm damage or falling.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

For real though? gently caress the open 7 chests at Haunted challenge.

That one sucked so badly. Even when the bus was nowhere near haunted, half the players were heading there.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
As an adult, my choice still came down to “Fortnite is free”

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

PUBG is fine but in no way is it worth the price tag. If it launched either free or for like £10 it'd probably be doing a lot better.

Not quite as well as Fortnite though because it's pretty shoddy in comparison.

Yeah I’ve put about $15 into fortnite cuz I’ve played it enough and hey deserve it, so I’d give PUBG a fair chance for that price. But it just looks too big, too ugly and too janky for me to enjoy as much as fortnite.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Beastie posted:

I just got an email from Epic saying there was a series of unsuccessful logins for my account. Changed my password and popped that 2 factor.

Protect ya neck, people.

I got the same thing, changed to a new longer password. Fortunately already have 2 factor enabled.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

FauxLeather posted:

I've had so many occasions where I've unloaded an entire clip of my assault rifle at an enemy while they were in the center of a Still & Crouching crosshair and had every shot miss. Scoped assault rifles are the only ones I wanna use because those actually hit.

With first shot accuracy, you’re better off tapping instead of spraying when beyond 50m or so unless your enemy is putting up walls as they run. At least I’ve found that works for me, but I’m also not great at keeping the crosshairs on someone while spraying anyways.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
They need a temporary game mode where everyone is on an ever-shrinking plateau and the only weapon is impulse grenades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Tei posted:

Yea. What the hell about that?

Thanos is a puppie. I guess was nerfed for some people, not us?

Since it’s free for all, people have a perception that they should stand a chance solo against Thanos. Temporary teaming up doesn’t consistently happen, and you inevitably have to betray a teammate anywaysso the other person doesn’t get the gauntlet when Thanos dies.

Additionally, 1,000 damage is a lot for people who can’t aim well and whose only strategy to survive in BR is to put up a quick 1x1. Killing Thanos requires different tactics that are more focused on aiming ability since Thanos destroys any building instantly.

Basically, it’s a poorly designed game mode.