Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
We guard pre-release video games better than we guard pre-release adults.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pooky posted:

I don't think they got traction because of their weapons. They got in the news because of their weapons, then some people liked that they were telling the feds to gently caress off and supported them.

If a group occupied a newly built residential development and demanded housing for the homeless they would get in the news because of the weapons. The public doesn't care about the homeless though so they wouldn't get much public support and would likely be slaughtered.

this is all true, and the inability of the american left to harness anti-establishment impulses makes basically everything subsequent to that so much masturbation including fantasies of class war. which is why i prefer individualistic protect-those-you-love discourse of late, pending literally any toothy resistance to to an armed and militant right wing forming.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Willie Tomg posted:

overthrowing the state isn't in it. you need guns when whatever the Proud Boys and III%'ers morph into in a few years start Doing The Dew for real to people you care about. unless your plan is mute witness to the march of history. which, realistically, it probably is despite whatever you're gonna post to the contrary.

bad news, it's going to be all of us

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Defeatist fatalism is for losers. Grow some balls and defend yourself from nazis.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

make yourself useful and take two brownshirts with you on your way out then.

rudatron posted:

Defeatist fatalism is for losers. Grow some balls and defend yourself from nazis.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's not in doubt that nazis should be resisted and/or fought in any way possible

but non-stop posting about resisting isn't resisting nor is posting about fighting actually fighting

go out and do something that aligns with your loudly posted convictions instead of posting about them

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
And what are you going to do? If nazis start matching down your street, will you give the same limped dick response of "well, at least by refusing to arm myself with a gun, against this very obvious violent threat, i get to keep the moral high ground?"

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Posting is warfare and I'm always wearing a kevlar vest when browsing CSPAM

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Excuse me, but I am making a difference.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

it's not in doubt that nazis should be resisted and/or fought in any way possible

but non-stop posting about resisting isn't resisting nor is posting about fighting actually fighting

go out and do something that aligns with your loudly posted convictions instead of posting about them

i agree completely, and act accordingly. the Actually Existing State Of Things and my IRL compromise with it is my entire point.

you, however, seem confused when forced to modulate reactions to separate statements like "nazis must be resisted" and "the right is armed to the loving teeth and the left isn't and that's scary" and "law enforcement might not be politically neutral in civil strife" and "unmedicated depression and joking aside, it is generally good to live free" and "americans will never give up guns. for real. this is one thing that disparate sects of the Real America will unite about at the drop of a hat"

i negotiate the contradictions between what i'd prefer (a nonviolent disarmed world), and what's gonna happen (not that), and what may happen later the best i can. you don't have a better option.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

but, yeah, im sure the ceo of goldman sachs is totally afraid of your little pea shooter that i'm sure you lock up responsibly as a Law Abiding Gun Owner instead of considering it a pacifier you can suck on and imagine that tom hanks really did blow up the tank

he isn’t afraid right up until he is staring down the barrel of it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

3 posted:

lol read a book

read two books

i read one book on this, negroes with guns by robert f. williams, who ended up fleeing to cuba and then to china, returning only when kidnapping charges were dropped. what actually happened was more complicated: a white couple accidentally drove into a black neighborhood in monroe, north carolina during a gun battle with the klan (that also had light air support), and a black mob was preparing to kill the couple until williams grabbed them and sheltered them in his house.

Willie Tomg posted:

i agree completely, and act accordingly. the Actually Existing State Of Things and my IRL compromise with it is my entire point.

you, however, seem confused when forced to modulate reactions to separate statements like "nazis must be resisted" and "the right is armed to the loving teeth and the left isn't and that's scary" and "law enforcement might not be politically neutral in civil strife" and "unmedicated depression and joking aside, it is generally good to live free" and "americans will never give up guns. for real. this is one thing that disparate sects of the Real America will unite about at the drop of a hat"

i negotiate the contradictions between what i'd prefer (a nonviolent disarmed world), and what's gonna happen (not that), and what may happen later the best i can. you don't have a better option.
the danger with guns is that you can lose sight of the social characteristics of a political struggle. as self-defense tools, they're useful, but beyond that all kinds of complications start to happen.

in charlottesville, there were some people on the nazi side with guns, and some people on the anti-nazi side with guns, and some III%er militia types sympathetic to the nazis had guns, but the outcome was not determined by guns. and the III%ers in particular were more or less hapless. they showed up with all their kit but they mostly stood around not knowing what to do.

MAYO FETISH
Feb 15, 2016
maybe we need to reframe things

guns are now shooty sticks and instead of problem we have "work around"

america has a shooty sticks work around conversation :)

MAYO FETISH
Feb 15, 2016
hope i helped thanks foir welcoming me to your thread

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i stumbled across some far-right militia blog the other day (same crowd in that wildlife refuge occupation), which happens sometimes, and this guy was lambasting the rest of his cause because they kept saying (this post was from last year) how they couldn't wait for the "antifa" to start an uprising so they could gun them down. but this blogger was saying: the commies are already acting, and you've spent all this time collecting guns and drilling in the woods, but you don't know what to do.

and stuff like "so what if they don't have any firearms training? i could train a monkey to shoot with a good standard of proficiency in three days." which is true. guns are easy to shoot. they're scarily easy which is why so many people get shot to death in titty bar parking lots in america every friday night. and he's pointing out how these left-wing crowds are willing to play footsie with police riot lines and get canisters of tear gas in the nuts, which shows some dedication.

but the point being that guns create problems as much as they solve problems. so pointing to guns as a solution to everything is a pretty reductionist strategy for social or political change IMO. that's my hot take.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i read one book on this, negroes with guns by robert f. williams, who ended up fleeing to cuba and then to china, returning only when kidnapping charges were dropped. what actually happened was more complicated: a white couple accidentally drove into a black neighborhood in monroe, north carolina during a gun battle with the klan (that also had light air support), and a black mob was preparing to kill the couple until williams grabbed them and sheltered them in his house.

the danger with guns is that you can lose sight of the social characteristics of a political struggle. as self-defense tools, they're useful, but beyond that all kinds of complications start to happen.

in charlottesville, there were some people on the nazi side with guns, and some people on the anti-nazi side with guns, and some III%er militia types sympathetic to the nazis had guns, but the outcome was not determined by guns. and the III%ers in particular were more or less hapless. they showed up with all their kit but they mostly stood around not knowing what to do.

i stumbled across some far-right militia blog the other day (same crowd in that wildlife refuge occupation), which happens sometimes, and this guy was lambasting the rest of his cause because they kept saying (this post was from last year) how they couldn't wait for the "antifa" to start an uprising so they could gun them down. but this blogger was saying: the commies are already acting, and you've spent all this time collecting guns and drilling in the woods, but you don't know what to do.

and stuff like "so what if they don't have any firearms training? i could train a monkey to shoot with a good standard of proficiency in three days." which is true. guns are easy to shoot. they're scarily easy which is why so many people get shot to death in titty bar parking lots in america every friday night. and he's pointing out how these left-wing crowds are willing to play footsie with police riot lines and get canisters of tear gas in the nuts, which shows some dedication.

but the point being that guns create problems as much as they solve problems. so pointing to guns as a solution to everything is a pretty reductionist strategy for social or political change IMO. that's my hot take.

good posts.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pooky posted:

I don't think they got traction because of their weapons. They got in the news because of their weapons, then some people liked that they were telling the feds to gently caress off and supported them.

If a group occupied a newly built residential development and demanded housing for the homeless they would get in the news because of the weapons. The public doesn't care about the homeless though so they wouldn't get much public support and would likely be slaughtered.

Yup. Turns out no one actually really deeply gives a poo poo about causes other than 'dont tell me what to do'. Completely unironically mean that.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

holy lol amerikkka is loving nuts

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Willie Tomg posted:

you have an awful habit of attacking strawmen, i would love to read my posts where i did this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

holy lol amerikkka is loving nuts
check this out:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126426361

and this:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/The-TSU-Riot-50-years-later-11149852.php

cops stormed a black college in houston, shooting the place up with suppression fire aimed at the dorm buildings, then charging in and bashing the dorms to bits with their clubs, while accidentally shooting and killing one of their own officers with ricochet, then rounding up and arresting the whole study body and marching them off to jail in colectivo.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:21 on May 27, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
me, small weak normal brain: "boasting and posting about how good your convictions are nonstop on a comedy forum doesn't bode well for your credibility"

you, Extreme Brain: how dare you claim that dippin dots aren't the future. you loving moron. you seem confused when forced to modulate reactions to separate statements like "ice cream is messy" and "the flavors are delicious, and better than normal ice cream equivalents", and

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

by allah these americans are so stupid!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

And what are you going to do? If nazis start matching down your street, will you give the same limped dick response of "well, at least by refusing to arm myself with a gun, against this very obvious violent threat, i get to keep the moral high ground?"

friend, once they start preparing the non-white cleansing camps i won't be posting and i'll be doing something else that is more in line with not dying. that said, that's purely talk at this point and honestly i'll have no idea what i'll do. but i'm not going to jerk off as i post about how i would totally hypothetically kill more nazis than you

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

if'n ah dont have mah gun how'm a gunna resist all em uther varmints wut have them guns????

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAW

*shoots kids*

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

rudatron posted:

deefeetest fadalisum is th worse

so don you tryn get ridda dem guns cuz its EEEEEEEmpossible

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ifn ah spend alla my peelitikal capidal on geddin ridda thuh guns n strafin' chud cults with'm drones how'mah gonna affowd m'burger n shake???

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

So what you're saying is why haven't I bought a gun yet?

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Do you still have the link? I love reading stuff where these guys are able to introspect and have a passing moment of clarity.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

friend, once they start preparing the non-white cleansing camps i won't be posting and i'll be doing something else that is more in line with not dying. that said, that's purely talk at this point and honestly i'll have no idea what i'll do. but i'm not going to jerk off as i post about how i would totally hypothetically kill more nazis than you
This is nothing to do mastubatory power fantasies, this is about whether or not you believe the words that come out of your mouth.

Fascist regimes aren't just stories, they're history, and they happened. The political situation in the US is dissolving, and the possibility of real political conflict, of the kind that America has never had in your lifetime, is becoming likely.

If you're not willing to accept even the possibility of violent resistance, you will be shot by people with no such qualms.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

This is nothing to do mastubatory power fantasies, this is about whether or not you believe the words that come out of your mouth.

Fascist regimes aren't just stories, they're history, and they happened. The political situation in the US is dissolving, and the possibility of real political conflict, of the kind that America has never had in your lifetime, is becoming likely.

If you're not willing to accept even the possibility of violent resistance, you will be shot by people with no such qualms.

please link the post where i said i would never arm myself in such a scenario

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
god i can't believe i responded to an Insane Poster, this makes me Insane By Association

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

me, small weak normal brain: "boasting and posting about how good your convictions are nonstop on a comedy forum doesn't bode well for your credibility"

you, Extreme Brain: how dare you claim that dippin dots aren't the future. you loving moron. you seem confused when forced to modulate reactions to separate statements like "ice cream is messy" and "the flavors are delicious, and better than normal ice cream equivalents", and

me a strong smart person that expects the same from people I associate with: What the gently caress are you talking about you idiot?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

i need guns to overthrow the government, I insist violently as I am targeted by a drone

logikv9 posted:

You rejected the possibility of resistance as either ineffectual or impossible.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

A gun in every pot

and a cap in every rear end.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

You rejected the possibility of resistance as either ineffectual or impossible.

the first post mocks maga chuds who plot to overthrow the government while doing army cosplay in the woods

the second post refers to "all of us" as in all of us posters who post non-stop on a comedy forum instead of doing something RL

sometimes what you're looking for isn't there, sorry to tell you this

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

me a strong smart person that expects the same from people I associate with: What the gently caress are you talking about you idiot?

it's a joke about how he is attacking me on things i've never said hth

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's some weak cop-out bullshit, and you know it.

Either admit you were wrong or stick to your guns, 'creative interpretation' specifically designed to dodge the obvious reading, and absolve responsibility, won't fly.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

That's some weak cop-out bullshit, and you know it.

Either admit you were wrong or stick to your guns, 'creative interpretation' specifically designed to dodge the obvious reading, and absolve responsibility, won't fly.

I'm sorry your Masters in Post Interpretation hasn't yielded much in terms of paying back your student loans, but doubling down on being wrong won't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

it's a joke about how he is attacking me on things i've never said hth

alright, I’ll trust you. I’ve been hanging out at an in-laws retirement party all day drinking low abv beer and wine product, so I’m feeling good but not quite in-tune with the forums beat.

• Locked thread