Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
here's a genius idea for leftists that has never failed before: armed vanguardism woop woop insane clown posse yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Philadelphia proved conclusively this year that if the conditions are right, there is absolutely nothing--not crisco, not industrial lubricant, and certainly not barred gates--the police can do to stop us from storming city hall, or any other part of the city. Comrade Big Dick Nick shall lead us in glorious revolution!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think the folks making those arguments are still thinking about the foco theory which worked in cuba and think it can be applied to the united states while forgetting that the weather underground already tried it

weather underground was not really foco, foco is rural, weather underground were more influenced by urban guerrilla movements (which universally failed)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Hiding in the woods is a powerful strategy that should not be underestimated. Consider, for instance, the saga of the diaper sniper.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

here's a genius idea for leftists that has never failed before: armed vanguardism woop woop insane clown posse yo

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

we can prohibit or ban guns and gun ownership without literally kicking in doors

good luck with that

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

good luck with that

it seems pretty easy to me to just get rid of or massively restrict the huge legally sanctioned armories nearly everywhere in america

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2013/feb/11/markel-hutchins/are-there-more-places-buy-gun-big-mac/

quote:

So what’s easier to find? The golden arches or a gun shop.

The Rev. Markel Hutchins, an Atlanta-based civil rights activist, had an answer during a recent discussion about federal gun legislation on "The Ryan Cameron Show," which airs weekday mornings on V-103 FM in Atlanta.

"There are twice as many gun shops as McDonald’s," Hutchins said.

The ATF does not track how many licensed dealers own a business that they sell guns from as opposed to those who may sell guns at a show. The ATF database has lists of every person licensed to sell guns. In Georgia, most people on the January list say they own a business. There were about 175 people on the list with a license who did not include the name of a business. About 100 of them are retail stores such as Wal-Mart, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Academy Sports & Outdoors.

In some cases, the list contains the name of the person licensed to sell guns and the business
itself.

The leader of an organization of firearms retailers had a lower estimate of how many gun shops there are nationally. Andrew Molchan, president of Professional Gun Retailers Association, believes there are probably 9,000 "real" gun stores in America. His definition of a gun store is a place that regularly sells the weapons year-round. His estimate did not include businesses such as Wal-Mart because some of those stores do not sell any guns.

Molchan said it’s tough to come up with a firm number of how many gun stores there are for several reasons. For example, he said some pawnshops sell only a handful of guns year-round.

"It’s not hard and crisp," Molchan said of coming up with an actual estimate of how many gun shops there are in the U.S.

When told about Hutchins’ claim, Molchan replied, "That’s not necessarily wrong."

Some people, he said, may have a license to sell guns, but they don’t sell any at all. He believes there are probably as many as 25,000 businesses that sell guns.

To sum up, Hutchins said there were twice as many gun shops than McDonald’s restaurants in the United States. There are numbers we found that support his argument.

But this claim, like many we’ve tackled, is not as simple as it seems. His overall point seems accurate -- there are a lot of places to buy guns in the United States.

Our rating: Mostly True.

ownership is a different issue but you gotta dam the river before draining the lake or something

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Apr 4, 2018

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
faygo not firearms whoop whoop

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

only if we do the same for the military and police

Of course, which is why I'm just yelling into the void anyway since neither my idea nor that will ever happen in the US so....

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/981582523489832961

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIGApUmKog

:smug:

real fax though victims of rape and harassment are way more likely just to be shot to death tho

i've never seen newsroom because i hate aaron sorkin.

is this a comedy? is the joke that John News is the kind of faux niceguy dickpic DMing weirdo that women justifiably get guns and tasers and pepper sprays to ward off? and that the Hillary Fan should've kept the piece on her to keep John News from turning it on her?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

shapiro wins because he brings an AR-15 variant

checkmate liberals

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i can't get that clip out of my mind. obviously it creates a text where proactive violence is 100% correct + justified, and the author is unaware of this. that's fine. takes all types to make the world go 'round.

but granting that intent is meaningless, what is the actual intent?!?! *dude pulls a gun on a lady in a sexytime setting* "Hrm yeah, you raise a solid point, check mate. You got her."

What is the pavlovian response supposed to be in a positive sense?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The four branches of democratic power: legislative, executive, judiciary and guns

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

i can't get that clip out of my mind. obviously it creates a text where proactive violence is 100% correct + justified, and the author is unaware of this. that's fine. takes all types to make the world go 'round.

but granting that intent is meaningless, what is the actual intent?!?! *dude pulls a gun on a lady in a sexytime setting* "Hrm yeah, you raise a solid point, check mate. You got her."

What is the pavlovian response supposed to be in a positive sense?

i will not watch a newsroom clip but i'm betting it's the same tired Owned By Their Own Logic sorkin poo poo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

so which is it, are guns weak and useless toys that could never present a legitimate threat when wielded en masse, or are they super deadly killing machines that are way too dangerous and powerful to be allowed in civilian hands??

also ive never owned a gun and dont even live in america but lol every anti-gun argument in this thread is stupid as poo poo, even the really pompous guy who was all AND THATS JUST HOW IT IS after writing a really dumb post

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Wheeee posted:

so which is it, are guns weak and useless toys that could never present a legitimate threat when wielded en masse, or are they super deadly killing machines that are way too dangerous and powerful to be allowed in civilian hands??

also ive never owned a gun and dont even live in america but lol every anti-gun argument in this thread is stupid as poo poo, even the really pompous guy who was all AND THATS JUST HOW IT IS after writing a really dumb post

high schoolers aren't the american military, shooting at one will produce different results than shooting at the other hth

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I don't know how people can think guns are bad when they've now been used to terrorize bay area techies

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

we can prohibit or ban guns and gun ownership without literally kicking in doors

Just like the prohibition of drugs, I'm certain that the law enforcement will be equally distributed among black and white communities.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
guns are bad because they hurt people

but when people hurt people, u need to hurt back so u can hurt the people who hurt people so you can hurt people if they hurt people so that you hurt people that hurt people who hurt people while hurting people

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Dreddout posted:

high schoolers aren't the american military, shooting at one will produce different results than shooting at the other hth

Yeah, apparently the american military are a lot easier to rack up the kill count with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Fort_Hood_shooting

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Lol if you think I'm giving up my guns while the police are still killing unarmed people at random

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Sidakafitz posted:

I don't know how people can think guns are bad when they've now been used to terrorize bay area techies

i used to think guns were cool, and good, but now somehow they're even better???

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

His Purple Majesty posted:

Lol if you think I'm giving up my guns while the police are still killing unarmed people at random

If people didn't have guns maybe police wouldn't think anything they see you hold in your hands is a gun.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

LegoPirateNinja posted:

If people didn't have guns maybe police wouldn't think anything they see you hold in your hands is a gun.

nah this would definitely still happen

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

nah this would definitely still happen

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

police arent paranoid cowardly bullies who mentally separate themselves from the populace of "civilians" because of guns, its because they are literally trained and culturally conditioned to be so

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Wheeee posted:

guns are hyper deadly murder machines which is why only the state can be entrusted with them

people get weird when you say state violence is fine, but nobody in my suburb has ever even been targeted by the state

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Wheeee posted:

I'll explain with an example. The Italian Fascist Party surviving into the upper 2010s, albeit shocking, depressing and technically illegal, is not an existential threat to the country, fragmented as the vile thing is into two parties and a half that barely reach 2% of votes combined. That is, however, cold comfort to the Indian peddlers who routinely get beaten to near death (and occasionally shot or stabbed to death) in Rome

Or, to put it another way: a group of armed people large and organized enough to enact change can almost certainly do so just as well unarmed. Meanwhile, a small group of armed fucktards can, at best, ruin many people's lives

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the only thing that can stop a fascist with a gun is a communist with a gun

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
America doesn’t have a gun problem we have a thoughts and prayers problem. Specifically, you godless liberals aren’t thoughting and prayering hard enough.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

hackbunny posted:

Or, to put it another way: a group of armed people large and organized enough to enact change can almost certainly do so just as well unarmed. Meanwhile, a small group of armed fucktards can, at best, ruin many people's lives

Yeah I bet that the entire armed forces of the Soviet Union would still have defeated Nazi Germany even if they didn't have any guns or tanks or planes :shrug:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hackbunny posted:

Or, to put it another way: a group of armed people large and organized enough to enact change can almost certainly do so just as well unarmed.

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Clochette posted:

Just like the prohibition of drugs, I'm certain that the law enforcement will be equally distributed among black and white communities.

no one is saying total law enforcement reform is not important, but if we’re trying to focus on gun ownership specifically it’s a separate issue

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

drat man someone needs to tell every military in the world they can win wars just as easily unarmed, would save us a shitload of money

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODMuHEwFsI

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

hackbunny posted:

Or, to put it another way: a group of armed people large and organized enough to enact change can almost certainly do so just as well unarmed

this is deeply, deeply wrong, as a cursory inspection of long lasting authoritarian regimes will demonstrate- a state with a sufficiently strong monopoly on the tools of violence and which isn't shy about using that monopoly can easily tell the majority of it's population to go hang (literally)

most of the successful non-violent protest movements of the 20th century succeeded in conjunction with the implicit threat of more radical violent counteparts

while violence is very frequently counterproductive, the notion that peaceful, law-abiding protests are the only way to go about things is pure bunk, especially given how adept governments have gotten at managing them

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jarofpiss posted:

i dont care enough about white high schoolers to justify a confiscation program that will be inevitably used to massacre people of color in their own homes

This is the worst post in this thread that not only a) sets up an incredibly ludicrous false dichotomy but also b) pretends that only white high schoolers are victims of gun violence. Because, you know, when I hear the name Emma González, I definitely think white. But that's okay. we should do nothing and let the NRA, a literal propaganda arm of capital driving people to violence, have the final word, because of a hypothetical scenario that doesn't hold up to the fact that we actually do have records of who holds guns, the majority of which are white, cryptofascist murder fetish hoarders - but fail to have a national gun registry because the NRA, a literal propaganda arm of the arms manufacturers that produce and sell these weapons, has lobbied against it. https://www.thetrace.org/2016/08/atf-ridiculous-non-searchable-databases-explained/

It's not like it manners anyways because the generation that is following ours has had it with going to school in fear of being gunned down by fellow classmates or even supposed adults, and will make these changes within our lifetime. It will be messy, and the mistakes and abuses made must be brought to light and punished, but we can't go on like this forever, and we won't.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Taintrunner posted:

It's not like it manners anyways because the generation that is following ours has had it with going to school in fear of being gunned down by fellow classmates or even supposed adults, and will make these changes within our lifetime. It will be messy, and the mistakes and abuses made must be brought to light and punished, but we can't go on like this forever, and we won't.

lmao, the generation that follows ours is going to see the terminal point of capitalism and climate change arrive hand in hand and will have a far more personal relationship with guns than anyone posting on this forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

there will never be any sort of significant seizure of guns in America in its current form, outside massive social unrest.

• Locked thread