Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApSmPvxz1o
A cooperative gameplay experience from the director of Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons. Out now for the PC, XBox One and PS4. (no crossplay)

A Way Out is an action-adventure game played from a third-person perspective. It is specifically designed for split-screen cooperative multiplayer, which means that it must be played with another player through either local or online play. In the game, players control Leo and Vincent, two convicted prisoners who must break out of prison and stay on the run from authorities. As the story of both protagonists is told simultaneously, their progress may not be synchronized, which may result in one player being able to control their character, while another watching a cutscene. Players need to cooperate with each other in order to progress, and each situation can be approached differently, with both characters taking different roles. For instance, during a prison escape scene, one player needs to distract the guard, while another player needs to find a tool to aid their escape. These roles are not fixed, so Leo and Vincent can swap their roles in another playthrough. Players can interact with many non-playable characters, and there are dialogue options for players to choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCya6xD1Qio
This game is multiplayer-only. There is no way to play it by yourself with an AI taking over the other character. There is also no lobby system, so you'd best find a buddy who's into this sort of game to play with. The whole game is setup to be played as couch co-op with the split-screen allowing both players to game simultaneously. You can play online, and will still see what the other player is doing at the same time. However, only one person has to buy the game. Using the friend's pass, the other player can join in for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I finished this game last night after three 2-hour sessions and was really surprised not to see a thread about this game. Don't want to head into spoiler territory too much yet, but we really enjoyed it from start to finish. As the title says, the game itself pretty much feels like a Heavy Rain/Telltale type game, except you're playing it together with a buddy at the same time. The fact that the multiplayer is mandatory is a key to the success to the game for me. As a single-player game, it would've been a pretty forgettable experience, but the fact that we went through this together just made it a memorable one that we will likely bring up from time to time. There are some incredibly awesome action sequences with some impeccable timing, but also enough quiet moments where we were just trying to figure stuff out or just tinkering with the environment. Although the story does take itself seriously, the game provided us with enough moments off the side so where we were just goofing around. I do think some of the minigames came up at the worst moment, but it also added a certain amount of charm.

The game is also really forgiving with checkpoints and the gameplay is relatively easy to the point that I think you could also play it together with a non-gamer. It is really meant as something to do when you want to hang out. At about 5-7 hours of gameplay, it's a relatively short experience, but it was also enough for us. It never wore out its welcome, and the credits started running at just the right time to give us closure on the story.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
I've gotten about 1.5 hours into the game, and I think telltale style games might just not be for me. It feels like it's mostly dialogue choices + some QTEs? For some reason I thought this would me more like the Uncharted games.

I will say, though- the directing is seriously impressive. They do a great job making splitscreen work really well, and the coordination in set pieces is super cool.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

a_good_username posted:

I've gotten about 1.5 hours into the game, and I think telltale style games might just not be for me. It feels like it's mostly dialogue choices + some QTEs? For some reason I thought this would me more like the Uncharted games.

I will say, though- the directing is seriously impressive. They do a great job making splitscreen work really well, and the coordination in set pieces is super cool.

The dude behind it is originally a movie director, so that probably accounts for some of it. He was also involved with the game Brothers: a tale of two sons that came out a couple of years ago, so he definately seems to have something of a holistic point of view. BTW, one of the escapees look just like his own brother.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I remember this game, it looked really cool when I saw the clips for it but there was a big break between me being excited for it and it coming out.

Hearing it's only 6ish hours long, and the lame ending (I just spoiled it for myself) is a deal breaker. I'm sure the story isn't as dumb as it sounds while you play it, but it certainly sounds like a cinema guy directed it. I hate it when games don't tell you all the information about your character as a plot point. The distinction between games/choose your own adventure is player agency. Taking that away from me is aggravating. Like I'm fine with linear stories, but if you're going to market your game as having some choice and then throw some plot contrivance at me that I as a player had no way of knowing to force conflict is dumb.

I know I haven't played the game and I'm sure it's fun, but story issues bother me to the point where I don't think I'd enjoy it. I look forward to seeing an LP of this to see if I'm right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Haven’t played this but Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons is flat out one of the best games I’ve ever played so I reckon i’ll definitely pick it up.

• Locked thread