Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

That second monkey man trailer felt like it spoiled too many moments and set pieces. Even if there's still probably cool poo poo, it feels like one of those whole movie in a trailer trailers. It did the opposite of hype me up and I wish I didn't see it, even though I'm still looking forward to it.

Yeah I watched the first few seconds and it spoiled the fight where he has a gun pointed at the other guy. The first trailer just teased the beginning of that fight, now I know what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Last Call posted:

Watching some folks online flip out as if it was the worse thing of all time certainly is eye roll worthy.

Not you OP, but the way some are responding to it screams those types are a lot of fun to be around.

Somber cover of a song is one of the most played out things in trailers and it was done completely straight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It seems like that song is sung at the funeral which is kinda funny but the problem is the trailer makes it seem like all these other stupid legacy trailers and beetlejuice, like ghostbusters is not a feel weepy cry when you see the main characters kind of movie lol

Shoulda had some fun doopy do Danny Elfman music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It seems like that song is sung at the funeral which is kinda funny but the problem is the trailer makes it seem like all these other stupid legacy trailers and beetlejuice, like ghostbusters is not a feel weepy cry when you see the main characters kind of movie lol

Yeah, it felt 'reverent' which is not something Beetlejuice should. Dude is a creepy pedophile villain, him showing up should be 'oh poo poo'

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it felt 'reverent' which is not something Beetlejuice should. Dude is a creepy pedophile villain, him showing up should be 'oh poo poo'

I dunno, Lydia certainly didn't seem happy to see him. And the last shot of his face also seems to paint him as a villain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Somber cover of a song is one of the most played out things in trailers and it was done completely straight.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was the best part. It's one of the loopiest song choices to do a minor key cover of. Once it clicked what the song was I laughed very hard. I figured it was a joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was the best part. It's one of the loopiest song choices to do a minor key cover of. Once it clicked what the song was I laughed very hard. I figured it was a joke.

It would've been a joke had the rest of the trailer been a parody but it wasn't.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The IMDB cast list has a few surprises, they've got Willem Dafoe in an undisclosed role and Monica Bellucci listed as "Beetlejuice's Wife"

I also looked around imdb and this is one of the two writers main credits.

So I'm wondering along with the faux reverence for past IP like those Ghostbuster trailers, is having a hack writer the only these movies get made?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It would've been a joke had the rest of the trailer been a parody but it wasn't.

it was absolutely a joke, and honestly a pretty funny one

they segued into a children's choir singing it at a funeral lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s definitely a joke but that trailer is designed to make grown men cry for some reason so idk

Also I freezed frame the tombstone and JJ’s face is there so he definitely got paid for his likeness lol

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Gonna go against the grain here and say I'm hyped for the Alien movie based on the teasers tone. It looks like they're going straight horror movie by a director with at least two bangers under his belt. And against the grain again by suggesting that a huge part of the original Beetlejuice allure was Michael Keaton's insane manic energy, and 72 year old Michael Keaton looks a little tired here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, it was entirely self inflicted, but I assumed I'd be seeing that trailer like every week at the theater. I did not know the film comes out in like two weeks, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Yeah we had a very short runway on this campaign. We're trying to get as many eyeballs on this as fast as we can.

Even if the box office doesn't really have time to respond globally, you can count on this being a franchise moving forward. John Wick had a modest box office for movie 1, just sayin

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The IMDB cast list has a few surprises, they've got Willem Dafoe in an undisclosed role and Monica Bellucci listed as "Beetlejuice's Wife"

My theory is that Dafoe is the new Otho. Wikipedia says his character is a ghost detective who, in life, was a B movie action star

The Last Call posted:

The funeral of....

The father from the first movie. Charles Deetz. You can make out his face on the tombstone. For reasons we are all aware of there was no way they were going to bring him back.

haha holy poo poo you can

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQghiGQi6Lo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Didnt see one animal in that trailer

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What's the point of being the Penguin if you don't have marine birds strapped with explosives.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just make more Batman '66 already. It's what the people want.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Finally a Tony Soprano movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I dunno, Lydia certainly didn't seem happy to see him. And the last shot of his face also seems to paint him as a villain.

I wonder if Jacques and Ginger are going to show up.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I also looked around imdb and this is one of the two writers main credits.

So I'm wondering along with the faux reverence for past IP like those Ghostbuster trailers, is having a hack writer the only these movies get made?

Much like so many MCU level mega blockbusters are directed by people with only a single indie film credit prior, the main criteria seems to be "take all the producer's notes into consideration and don't complain"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Much like so many MCU level mega blockbusters are directed by people with only a single indie film credit prior, the main criteria seems to be "take all the producer's notes into consideration and don't complain"

Who is this true of?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not MCU but I'd be surprised if this didn't apply to Wingard on the Godzilla/Kong movies. Neither the past one nor the promo for the new one look like they have any DNA from his prior work at all.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Saw a double feature of Love Lies Bleeding and Late Night with the Devil on Friday night... and was forced to watch the sasquatch trailer on the big screen.

Those images will never leave my brain.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I can't wait for the squatch movie

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This means a sequel to this gem is just around the corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmmWYyIlBs0

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It's mindblowing to me that's Colin Farrell. He's unrecognizable.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's mindblowing to me that's Colin Farrell. He's unrecognizable.

On the one hand, bothering with all this makeup instead of just hiring an old character actor seemed insane, but on the other hand his performance was the highlight of the movie.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Should have had a somber verion of Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls" as they lower Jeffrey Jones into the grave

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nah, gently caress that nonce.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Who is this true of?

* Colin Trevorrow only did Safety Not Guaranteed before getting Jurassic World and almost got Star Wars before he pissed it all away with Book of Henry
* John Trank had done Chronicle (which to be fair was quite good) before getting the job for Fant4stic and ruining his own career.
* John Watts had only done Clown and Cop Car before Spider-Man: Homecoming
* Peyton Reed only did semi successful rom-coms before Ant-Man

And so one. I guess this doesn't happen as much in the MCU but in a lot of franchise films. I remember at one point the trend was bringing in successful foreign directors to make mediocre remakes of American films (Jose Padilla doing the freaking Robocop remake comes to mind).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Padilla was fairly outspoken about how angry he was at studio intervention with robocop, even publicly said he never wanted to work with US studios again.

Shame, he’d have been a solid fit for the franchise if let loose.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

* Colin Trevorrow only did Safety Not Guaranteed before getting Jurassic World and almost got Star Wars before he pissed it all away with Book of Henry
* John Trank had done Chronicle (which to be fair was quite good) before getting the job for Fant4stic and ruining his own career.
* John Watts had only done Clown and Cop Car before Spider-Man: Homecoming
* Peyton Reed only did semi successful rom-coms before Ant-Man

And so one. I guess this doesn't happen as much in the MCU but in a lot of franchise films. I remember at one point the trend was bringing in successful foreign directors to make mediocre remakes of American films (Jose Padilla doing the freaking Robocop remake comes to mind).

Taika Waititi as well: did the oft-tread path in the NZ film industry, doing TV and ads before appearing in notable local productions in the late 90s, early 00s (Scarfies* - or Crime 101 if you're in the US in 1999, Snakeskin in 2001), does a short film that gains some serious attention (Two Cars, One Night) directs a few episodes of his friends' TV series Flight of the Conchords, and Super City, in between directing Eagle vs Shark, Boy, What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople before he lands Thor: Ragnarok.

*I got to see it last year at a special screening in Dunedin, where it was filmed and set, hosted by the director, and it really, really holds up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

edogawa rando posted:

Taika Waititi as well: did the oft-tread path in the NZ film industry, doing TV and ads before appearing in notable local productions in the late 90s, early 00s (Scarfies* - or Crime 101 if you're in the US in 1999, Snakeskin in 2001), does a short film that gains some serious attention (Two Cars, One Night) directs a few episodes of his friends' TV series Flight of the Conchords, and Super City, in between directing Eagle vs Shark, Boy, What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople before he lands Thor: Ragnarok.

Wow, so Waititi only had a 15 year career including directing four features, one of which (Boy) put him at the top of the Kiwi film industry, before he was sniped as a plucky newcomer by Marvel?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

Wow, so Waititi only had a 15 year career including directing four features, one of which (Boy) put him at the top of the Kiwi film industry, before he was sniped as a plucky newcomer by Marvel?

That's not atypical for Marvel. Cate Shortland had a similar career in Australia, though to less acclaim, before getting Black Widow. The Marvels was Nia Dicosta's third film, and her first feature -- other than a short from back in 2013 -- was in 2018.

The logic I've heard is that Marvel likes to hire controllable directors, so either inexperienced newbies or company men like Raimi.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

company men like Raimi.

:ok:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

He made Oz The Great And The Powerful and Multiverse of Madness. Man knows how to make a big effects laden studio film without putting too much of himself into things. Keeps the bosses happy and takes his studio money.

I'm not making a negative judgement, it's something of a skill. Terry Gilliam couldn't do that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's not atypical for Marvel. Cate Shortland had a similar career in Australia, though to less acclaim, before getting Black Widow. The Marvels was Nia Dicosta's third film, and her first feature -- other than a short from back in 2013 -- was in 2018.

The logic I've heard is that Marvel likes to hire controllable directors, so either inexperienced newbies or company men like Raimi.

I'm wondering if people are even reading what they're saying, let alone what I'm saying.

When Taika Waititi was picked for Thor 3, he'd been directing for longer than Peter Jackson had when he was given Lord of the Rings and had only one less movie on his CV. Someone with over a decade's experience and four features under their belt is not a neophyte.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering if people are even reading what they're saying, let alone what I'm saying.

When Taika Waititi was picked for Thor 3, he'd been directing for longer than Peter Jackson had when he was given Lord of the Rings and had only one less movie on his CV. Someone with over a decade's experience and four features under their belt is not a neophyte.

Ah, yeah, now I get what you're saying. I think I was thrown off by your use of "only", which seemed to imply that you considered a 15 year career to be short, rather than having only directed four films in fifteen years.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Very on track to make a terrible ww2 movie about charming nazis that feels like it should've been made in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ah, yeah, now I get what you're saying. I think I was thrown off by your use of "only", which seemed to imply that you considered a 15 year career to be short, rather than having only directed four films in fifteen years.

I was being sarcastic towards the OP's assertion that Waititi could be included in the list of "journeyman directors". It had already gone from "they'd only made one movie" to "this person had made two but they were small", which is fine enough. But "this guy had only made New Zealand's biggest homegrown box office hit plus multiple other movies when Marvel picked him up" doesn't exactly qualify, does it?