Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It seems like that song is sung at the funeral which is kinda funny but the problem is the trailer makes it seem like all these other stupid legacy trailers and beetlejuice, like ghostbusters is not a feel weepy cry when you see the main characters kind of movie lol

Shoulda had some fun doopy do Danny Elfman music

Yeah, it felt 'reverent' which is not something Beetlejuice should. Dude is a creepy pedophile villain, him showing up should be 'oh poo poo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Thor 4 would get more of a pass from me if it wasn't for the screaming goats. If the movie was for toddlers I'd get it as a joke but since the rest of the movie is clearly not for that age group it seems more like contempt for the audience.

I haven't seen Thor 4 but if they are Thor's goats that is just like a mythological thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

So Harley is just an inmate now? Seems like a pretty big change to her character.

I know this is a what if series, so they can do whatever, but if she’s an inmate and not a psychologist, she’s not really Harley anymore, she’s just random woman who likes Joker. But whatever.

Harley has been both psychiatrist and inmate. No reason she can't have been one before.

It does mean she isn't corrupted and broken by the Joker in the same way but, uh, clearly not what they're going for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, that looks so loving bad. Lego stuff is charming and basic enough that it can translate easily into that kind of thing, Funkopops are just so uuuugly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I feel like I'm on a different planet than the folks in this thread, I'm pumped as hell for Furiosa and don't understand not being pumped if you were a fan of Fury Road

Because Fury Road looked beautiful and had amazing practical stunts and this appears to be 95% bad CGI?

Like the van being pushed off the cliff, without irony, looks like a Playstation 1 FMV. It is unbelievably bad for any major motion film, let alone a followup to Fury Road.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean seriously compare these two shots.

Maybe the color in the trailer is way off or something but it looks way worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah, compressed to hell youtube stills of motion blurred images do tend to look like trash

ImpAtom posted:

I mean seriously compare these two shots.

Maybe the color in the trailer is way off or something but it looks way worse.

I took both of those shots from Youtube trailers.

I hope it actually is genuinely good but none of the trailers have gotten me hyped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I mean admittedly there is a lot more obvious CG in this one and Fury Road's CG was for the most part integrated in a less noticeable way. I just don't really have an issue with it since I can tell there's still a poo poo ton of practical stuff going on and some great looking performances. I just don't see it as some huge departure from Fury Road, it looks to have maybe 20% more CG stuff in it but otherwise looks pretty similar.

The fact that there is a lot more obvious CGI is a departure. For the most part the CGI in Fury Road was used alongside practical effects or in ways that were surprisingly seamless. (Like Furiosa's arm was incredibly well done.) The CGI in the trailers distracts me where it didn't in Fury Road. Maybe in context it will flow better but a lot of it just lacks the sense of physicality that made Fury Road so much better than a lot of other modern action films. (I have no idea what is going on with the truck going off the edge, it looks shockingly terrible. Like I half wonder if it is a practical effect that got so much aftereffects slapped on it that it looks fake because it just looks so frigging bad.)

I hope I'm wrong and when I see it I go "oh poo poo this is incredible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

this is the whole point. good CGI shouldn't have you thinking "isn't that good CGI!?" you forget it's there.

Yeah, this is the key.

CGI isn't bad. There is absolutely incredible CGI usage out there. CGI is bad when it becomes distractingly obvious. The best CGI is so immensely well done you don't realize it is there and usually in conjunction with other things, Nobody cares Fury Road has CGI because there's precious few moments where it really stands out in context. (Which is what I hope Furiosa ends up doing.)