Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got a lot of fun (and nutty) recommendations reading these pages, thanks folks.

I'll say, since Phantom of the Mall reminds me, I recommend Shock Treatment (1981) to everybody. That movie rules, top notch Harper joint.

I just bought The Killer (1989) one of my favorite movies, from this cool looking fan restoration bootleg site. Hong Kong Rescue. Will it come, who knows, but it's nice that somebody is putting that out there without it being all messed up. Worth the 20 dollar try.

I don't understand what's going on with a lot of these great movies. Criterion remembered them 20+ years ago for DVD, why no blu-ray release. Plus The Killer only had one shoddy release here 10 years ago, so probably not much competition on that front.

Also, the lack of Stephen Chow classics is baffling. Where is the drat 20 film Stephen Chow (with Wong Jing and co.) Criterion mega box. They are asleep at the wheel here.

If it has Stephen Chow, Chow Yun-Fat, Maggie Cheung, it has to be on Criterion and preserved in pristine condition. Andy Lau too. At least up to the year 2000. We gotta preserve this stuff for the next 1000 years of film fans.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's true, for sure. I figure some of this stuff would compare favorably popularity wise to some stuff Criterion releases. But I am biased, since talking about some of my favs. Rights stuff is probably a quagmire, true true.

Having some more of these movies for rent on amazon and vudu would be something even. In any format, keep these neato films in the mix. A 2004 cd-r xvid by ECHiZEN (shouts out) is just not gonna do it forever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

codyclarke posted:

As many of you know, on June 4th Amazon is ending its Media on Demand department, which means all CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays produced on demand will become instantly out of print. Before this happens, I think we should share some titles that are worth picking up before they disappear. Not to toot my own horn, but I've made eight feature-length films, all of them released through Amazon MOD. I have lowered the price on every single one of my titles to $5 each, including the 6-disc collection that has six films. If you purchase any of these, I make $0, because I've set the prices to the absolute lowest I can. I just want the discs out here in the world before they disappear. Here's a complete list of my MOD titles:

- Shredder
- Rehearsals
- Ramekin
- Bed
- Mute Date
- The DVD
- Strummer
- Attack of the Giant Blurry Finger
- The Cody Clarke Collection, Vol. 1 (6-Disc Collection) (Shredder / Rehearsals / Ramekin / Bed / Mute Date / The DVD)
- Shredder / Strummer (2-Disc Double Feature Collection)
- Artifact of a Love (Alternate box art version of The DVD)

Very cool, kudos on getting your movies out there. That's rad.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fair enough there. Did you like the subtitle translation? They advertise their new translations, so I'm curious to hear about those. I recently got Peking Opera Blues from elsewhere, I think English subs from an HK blu-ray, and the subs were really messed up. On subscene I found somebody who fixed them up a bit, but they still seem a bit sloppy and loosely translated. As you'll often find.

So if the subs are genuinely an improvement in translation, for me that'd be worthwhile too. At least for that one. Also they mentioned including some text at the beginning and end of that movie from theatrical that isn't in other releases, that sounds interesting.

This release of The Killer is based on the same source as the US blu-ray, a 1080i master of some sort. They aimed to fix it up and deinterlace it etc, and color graded the shots. It sounds promising. That said, I also like the HK blu-ray of The Killer which is really really grainy, less DNR, and also a big improvement over the US dvds like Criterion and WinStar. Though that has a bad revisionist audio track, and nobody else seems to like it's video as much (I guess because of the grain and maybe color choices).

If I'm getting picky, I would've loved it if they used that version as a source for an extra disc version instead of the Taiwanese TV vhs rip or what have you.

If these are upscales from a DVD master source (which may well be the case), they at least look a whole lot better than any DVD releases of these. I don't mind movies looking a little soft, I definitely take that above too much DNR and other crisp kookiness.

I haven't seen their Peking Opera Blues, but the blu-ray versions of that movie around look pretty good to me. Better than SD DVD's of 80s HK movies I've seen anyway. This sort of thing is pretty much a "best we can get" kind of thing until hopefully a company picks these up and does them even better.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on.

On a side topic, I was reading about how SD content can look really bad on a big 4K TV. Apparently the bigger the worse it is, though they say some high-end ones have good algorithms. I still have a 40 inch HDTV from many years ago, and I still watch lots of old anime and obscure or foreign SD (or comparable) movies. So for me it might be a downgrade if I got a 4K TV, if it made this stuff look worse.

Plus I could probably only fit a 43 inch 4K TV here, which they say doesn't benefit much from the 4K at that size anyway.

I just need Ted Raimi's masterpiece Lunatics: A Love Story to look good until the end of time essentially.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd probably love Overboard, I've gotta see that. Kurt Russell just can't miss. Also I've gotta watch Captain Ron too, haven't seen that since I was a kid.

Hey, I've got a new complaint (like in that Nirvana song). The Criterion blu-ray of Mulholland Drive doesn't look great. There's this light colored grain even in daylight scenes that looks like noise, in the background of shots etc, and it feels like it changes "freqencies" a lot. It's like random storms of odd looking sandy stuff on the screen. Here's a reddit thread mentioning that grain thing as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/4s6krc/mulholland_drive_disc_problem/

I'm pro-grain, I love the stuff, and the worst is waxy overly DNR'd stuff. I just don't know what's going on with this Mulholland disc though. It's distracting. And my TV settings are all good, no sharpness added or anything. I may have to go with a rip of the Studio Canal version, since I don't have a region player for that. Have the ol' DVD as well.

I do love the Criterion edition of Blue Velvet though, that looks dynamite. Also liked the previous blu-ray. No complaints about the Lost Highway blu-ray from KL. In general I think I have low standards for blu-ray, I just haven't encountered this particular annoyance before. Plus it's like 26 bucks discounted, you gotta get it right for 26 bucks.

Looking up my complaints, I also saw some rumblings of people noticing compression and various complaints with Criterion's authoring. Also I previously sent back those two Lynch discs and got replacements, which I don't do often, since there were little production issues like a bunch of nicked edges on the plastic and stuff like that. So just saying, their nutty prices and perhaps lower than their competition's video quality at times, I don't hold Criterion in a particularly high position in recent years. They're just another company coasting on their former glories. I'd prefer other companies get these licenses.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that's good to know.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can vouch for Rappin' (1985) among those Shout sale titles, that's a good flick. Underrated fun gem that would sit on a shelf between Breakin' 2 and The Last Dragon, though not quite on their level. It's at least on par with Purple Rain, narratively. I just think Rappin' needs to be seen.

And always echo the love for Streets of Fire, and of course Eddie and the Cruisers.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FLCL and Gunbuster, there's a Gainax. That's how I like to Gainax. I've still gotta see that Nadia show. I did have an ebay VCD bootleg of Evangelion, after renting the first few tapes. Blue Seed was the champ series of that rental shelf though quite frankly. And Fatal Fury of course.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

I wish I could say my first UHD was Tammy and the T-Rex, but that was my second. My first was Halloween.

No lie, I just clicked on this topic to post about that fine film. Thank you to this thread for mentioning it over the months, finally got some friends to watch it last night. Glorious! What a movie. B-movie magic, so good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I finally have a working VCR again and am getting back into VHS collecting, god help me.

I've got two words for ya: Banzai Runner

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've still gotta see that. Jimmy Stewart rocked.

Say, on ol' Italian spaghetti movies etc, what language track do you use? And is it known if any notable actors didn't end up up providing their own voice on the track, including the Italian actors in Italian? One example is I'm pretty sure it's not Udo Kier in the Suspiria English dub, but that track is a must for Jessica Harper.

For me I tend to go with the English track if the main stars are English speaking, so I've mostly watched English tracks. But at the moment I'm dipping into more spaghetti Westerns, and it's getting more confusing.

The Mercenary stars Franco Nero, so I figure he provides his voice on the Italian track, is that right? Would be nutty if they got somebody else. I assume it's not him on the English track. Though that movie has Jack Palance too. Which track do you prefer?

If a movie has Lee Van Cleef, I'm going with the English track. There aren't any movies he starred in where they had somebody else dub him in English instead did they?

Plus some movies have a hybrid track, where it's mostly English but with some scenes in Italian, for an uncut movie.

For stuff like Companeros, I guess Italian would be better? I'm not sure which language tracks Tomas Milian is on, wiki suggests he has done both languages at times.

Bonus question, Mondo's The Good the Bad and the Ugly is 4 minutes shorter than the US extended, and I've glazed over reading a few articles. Anybody have a preferred version of that movie?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Splint Chesthair posted:

Most Italian movies are weird about dialogue because for a long time they filmed without sound and dubbed everything in later. A lot of Italian movies with international stars would have everyone reading their lines in their native languages as a result.

I have not seen Suspiria with the Italian language track, but it’s entirely possible that Udo Kier was dubbed by someone else in that one as well.

Right on, that makes sense. But they wouldn't cheap out on say having the star Franco Nero not on the Italian track or Lee Van Cleef not on the English track or something? Or would that depend on who distributed it in English? I think I've heard something about actors not dubbing themselves for some reason in some films.

(For example, wikipedia says this guy Ferruccio Amendola usually dubbed Tomas Milian's lines. The article also says in some roles he "spoke in his real voice", pretty confusing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomas_Milian)

And nice to see some Lupin, CIty Hunter, and Cat's Eye (still haven't watched that), very cool. Episode 0 is some great Lupin, in general those yearly specials were on fire around the late 90s / early 2000s.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 7, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Origami Dali posted:

Movies pitched as being in English were able to sell better, so even though guys didn't speak much English at the time, depending on the movie, they'd be mimicking English during the shoot by phonetically mouthing the dialogue so a dub could be added later to match the lips. You have some shot "for Italian", but in a majority of cases like TGTBATU, The Big Gundown, etc, you have the leads speaking English, others mimicking English, and bit players speaking Italian, so the lips won't always match no matter what. And for TBG, which was shot "for English", parts of the English audio are missing for the uncut version, so the only available audio for that cut is Italian (why they didn't do a hybrid thing like the extended cut of Deep Red, I have no clue). It's weird not hearing Van Cleef's voice in the Italian version, but apparently it isn't Thomas Milian's voice in that version either, but rather a good soundalike, lol.

Classic, wild stuff. They sure were cooking with gas, so many movies made a year for a while there too. For say The Mercenary and Companeros, going Italian for Franco Nero seems like the move. Although if he also didn't dub himself that would be funny. I suppose I don't really need to know, if it sounds cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love vintage anime music.

So what's everybody's preferred version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Both the movie cut, and the release for color choices etc? Rewatching it for the first time in long time soon. (Don't have a 4K TV)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Big Bizness posted:

Kino Lorber's 4K release from last year is beautiful. It includes a regular Blu-ray from the same new transfer and restoration they did. I don't think just the regular Bluray is available separately. Their Bluray from 2017 is a different, older restoration and is fine but not as nice as the new one.

Right on thanks, that's good to know. I missed they had done two different color grades in the past five years, they're keeping busy! Just to double check, this release with the redone color grading only includes the international theatrical version on both discs?

The 2009 Mondo Italian theatrical cut coupled with English mono, that sounds like a nice way to watch it for me. The color looks pretty inoffensive too. But that combination isn't readily officially available. Just saying, even as specialized as these boutique releases may be, they're not quite covering all the bases for this great movie. I read that Kino picked which cut for their new release with a Facebook poll, which is kind of funny.

That said, it's been so long since I've watched the US theatrical cut, it's possible I'd prefer that, options aplenty.

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished rewatching Suspiria (the original), first time on UHD. Jesus, that movie is gorgeous. It's such a surreal and vivid nightmare.

Righteous, my favorite horror, so good. Dario is the king. I got the Synapse blu-ray a bit ago and haven't watched it yet. It is cool/wild that there are so many releases and variations to choose from with all these classic flicks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 9, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't beat classic Cage! He's on another level.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lotta movies! You may have Short Circuit 2 on blu, but a friend of mine has a signed photo of Steve Guttenberg. He's no Fisher Stevens, but who is.

I quote CHUD quite often. "It doesn't wash, Bosch!".

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ultraviolence123 posted:

Grabbed the Arrow 4k for Phenomena from Grindhouse Video. I wanted it to match the other Argento 4ks I have versus the Synapse edition, which has cover art that I don't like as much, and also isn't out for another month versus Arrow's set.

Very cool! Dario is the king. I dig that one, and what a soundtrack, Goblin, Motorhead, Maiden, you name it. I love that era of 80s Argento and co. where they'd throw badass fun metal music on there with the carnage. It's like a delightful celebration of evil, I'm into it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

Sent the UHD player back, but then my Phenomena 4k arrived today. Probably just going to keep it? It's a "limited" release and it's probably never getting a second print.

Plus it has Motorhead, Goblin, and more! Any movie with that is a keeper.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just a bit devil's advocate (Pacino style), that blu-ray is great. I don't see the slight open matte as a bad thing, and this is the first I've heard of it being too warm. Usually it's the other way around and things are too cold. I think sometimes something is more of a side grade stylistically, but it's gotta be framed as a big positive to hype the new release.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Latest for me is Mega64's Last Laugh blu-ray, it's got their live show and a doc and stuff. Pretty pimp.

https://shop.mega64.com/products/mega64-last-laugh-the-official-tour-movie-blu-ray

My holy grail is still somebody doing a collection of all those cool comedies starring Stephen Chow. Would be worth it for the upgrade to subtitle translation alone. What a bunch of cool gems.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Robocop is one of the great films. I wish I had a Robocop statue in my town.

(Also, my fav comic is Judge Dredd, very comparable vibes of satire and calling people creep by John Wagner, if you want more.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tell me about these Virgin Suicides. Good times? I took a peak at it on Letterboxd once or twice, but it hasn't quite made the ol' watch list.

edit: ok I put it on the list, it's right above The Emperor's New Groove. Sure are a lot of movies.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 19, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig a nice sad movie. But it could be pretty much anything in tone, style, dialogue, haven't heard much about this movie other than the title.

River's Edge is a cool movie, just to show how you can have a bit of an oddball tone with sad subject matter.

I see Michael Pare is in Virgin Suicides, that's unexpected. Streets of Fire and Eddie and the Cruisers, that guy rocks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 19, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Devil in a Blue Dress is good stuff, so many cool hard boiled thrillers in the 80s and 90s.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love Dudikoff! Throw Avenging Force and Radioactive Dreams in there too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love Eternal Sunshine, gets better with age too.

Casimir Radon posted:

Radioactive Dreams sounds like the greatest movie ever made, on paper anyway. In execution it’s a mess.

I can dig, still worth a watch for the B movie fans in this thread I'd say. I found out about Tammy and the T-Rex in here, good times. Dudikoff is really good and funny in Radioactive Dreams. Pyun in his prime!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lumbermouth posted:

Ah yes, the Six String Samurai Situation.

I say take the Radioactive Dreams challenge! I did find Six String Samurai boring, for comparison.

(Here's the Michael Dudikoff megathread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780872 )

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One of the best movies ever. That, Blue Velvet, River's Edge, nice trilogy of 1986 Hopper classics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Walk Hard rules for sure. Saw that and Sweeney Todd in the same day at the theater, always fun when that kind of thing happened. Punisher and Kill Bill Vol 2, and also Scott Pilgrim and the Expendables are another couple occasions where just had to see both flicks that day.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cloks posted:

We have very different tastes but yeah, nothing like seeing two great movies back to back. My favorite was the lighthouse and parasite.

Love those Korean flicks etc as well, it's just usually at a smaller theater, less likely to get two hyped releases on one day. Just funnily enough those particular movies were some times my friends were up for two new releases on one day.

Haven't been to the theater in a couple years. But some friends have cool outdoor projector setups going on.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't beat UHF. I still think of Kevin McCarthy as the UHF villain, even though I love Invasion of the Body Snatchers. He is insanely funny in UHF. We need more villains like that in cinema today.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to include both, I like the director's cut myself.

I forget, is this VCR line director's cut only or theatrical? I remembered there being some quality RDJ stuff in the longer version.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/52d4b950-9155-4ad4-8bfd-ea7673c960b8

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lotta fun sounding pics there, never heard of Surf II for example!

Just to Siskel & Ebert a bit, I thought Raw Force was pretty blah. Didn't stand out in the sea of fun trash to me.

(Edit: new page, well, everybody see Evil Cult starring Neil Stryker, also Max Knight Ultra Spy)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 26, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ultraviolence123 posted:

My 4Ks for A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More (My favorite of the trilogy) shipped. Can't wait to have a marathon of all three.

So good! Rewatched those myself lately, dig those more than ever. Leone and spaghetti Westerns in general, glorious as hell.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

New York Ninja is one that goes down smooth.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

checkplease posted:

Is the final cut of apocalypse now the best cut? Or simply what’s available now? I actually have yet to sit down and watch all of apocalypse now, so haven’t kept up with the various versions.

Another vote for the theatrical version, so good.

codyclarke posted:

If anyone's taking advantage of the Synapse sale over at MVD going on right now, I highly recommend Jim Wynorski's Sorceress. My second favorite of his after Chopping Mall. Very Vinegar Syndrome kind of movie.

Right on, so many nutty entertaining gems from Jim. Deathstalker 2, Sorority House Massacre 2, and Hard to Die are too good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

David Lynch is beloved, that's for sure. I saw that when it was in theaters way back, memorable experience, don't feel I want to see it again. I think we would show up to see him read a phone book, and that's because we love him. Seeing Inland Empire is this memorable legendary feat my friends still reference, and one friend we still can't get to try another Lynch film to this day. It was a nutty nutty film.

I look at Inland Empire as a thing I was happy to see one time, but I love ya David. The bunny shorts are always good.

He usually has more cinematic language to grab onto, the noir influence, the comedy stuff, sharp writing, those unique instincts. When he's making a movie in his usual way. Inland Empire is a different thing, it feels like a creative project he was doing, like it was Lynch's hobby at the time. More like his painting than his movies. Not to say painting is a hobby for him, I know he lives the art life, just it sounded like a looser project than his other movies.

I don't dislike it, but I also don't see why it would be expected that a Lynch fan would necessarily like it. I do think everyone's opinion is genuine, but also if you love Inland Empire, you could probably love many of those long non-narrative or similar experimental mood films out there. I don't think I myself would, even though I love David Lynch.

I also don't like The Straight Story, though I love Harry Dean Stanton. Love all David's other movies and TV though, and his audiobooks and docs. Hell, as much as I love his movies, he himself is probably even cooler than his work. Whatta guy.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Franchescanado posted:

Physical Media thread gangtag

Sign me up! I'm happy with the Kino one. Lost Highway was my #1 fav movie for a while in my 20s, even listed this in my AIM profile. Now it's probably like #15. But it's still up there! Masterpiece.

Full disclosure, The Dark Knight was #1 for a bit, and even Watchmen briefly (shamefully). It was quite the time in AIM profile movie lists.