Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
This is why digital media can't be trusted. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

codyclarke posted:

When it comes to new stuff, absolutely. But it's a buyer's market when it comes to used DVDs these days. I regularly find Like New condition used DVDs out in the wild for like $1 or $2, and if it's not some gorgeous movie where I wanna see it as great as it can possibly look, I'll pick it up. Plus, I have more nostalgia for DVDs than Blu-Rays. Currently I'm obsessed with DVDs that have SPECIAL EDITION in a bar across the top of the cover, usually white text on red. I also love when it has W I D E S C R E E N in black on a gold bar across the top. It's stuff I never though I'd get nostalgic over, but nowadays whenever I see it it makes me smile. Oh, and snapcases! If it's a movie I love and it's a snapcase in great condition, you better believe I'm picking it up.

I find this even more unsettling than the resurgence of cassettes.

(Edit: Audio cassettes, that is, although I wouldn't be surprised if VHS is next.)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Good Time: C8RYTE2QCUWEF149

Thanks!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Maybe those aren't US codes?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

FancyMike posted:

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/jackie-chans-police-story-and-police-story-2

New 4k restorations of Police Story and Police Story 2 out in August from Eureka.

Is this sold out or not yet available?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Homeybeef posted:

I'm trying to use mymovies from bluray.com to keep a log of my collection. Does anyone know a way to log more than one disc at a time? Doing this one at a time has not been fun.

I have the pro app for the Android, so I don't know if every version has it, but when I go to scan a barcode there's a toggle between single and multi scan at the bottom right.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Target having a sale in November like they do every year doesn't mean that physical is dying.

It's never going to be huge like before but studios and streaming sites got greedy and hosed everything up.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'll always choose UHD over Blu Ray when given the choice, but I wouldn't upgrade something I already own unless there's some other compelling reason to.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

Venom
3UNY0LKDJ3F2PCD6

Gone also

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Arrow is releasing An American Werewolf in London and The Ringu Collection in the US

Who's releasing it in the rest of the UK?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

IUG posted:

You know, I never noticed that little flag in the search bar until you said something. Thanks.

...The last few seasons all say region B, A/C untested. Guess I won't bother then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/adventuretime/comments/7vu6gz/madman_season_7_bluray_region_b_works_fine_for_me/

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Redeem the digital code and toss the rest imo

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I didn't notice any Criterions in this massive pile of garbage or anything from a boutique label. The only Criterion he had was The Princess Bride, which is not a bad movie or anything but holy poo poo what a boring choice considering their catalog.

I did notice a blu ray of Daddy's Home next to a UHD of Daddy's Home.

e: Okay there's an Arrow section.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 10, 2019

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The eye stab is slightly zoomed in so you don't see the knife penetrating the guy's eye on-screen, and apparently that's the extent of it.

Seems pretty minor, honestly.

If they don't show that on screen how am I supposed to cover my eyes and say "oh god oh god oh poo poo oh gently caress"

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

Tiny Furniture is fine.

Wrong

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Gripweed posted:

SRS Cinema is so loving weird! Every month I get their new releases announcement and it's always microbudget CGI shark movies and microbudget slashers, just unwatchable garbage. But once like every 8 months they get some insane deepcut Kaiju movie that I must have. This time, it's Whale God (aka Killer Whale, aka Kujira Gami), a 1962 adaptation of Moby Dick written by the guy who wrote Onibaba and Kuroneko

https://srscinemastore.com/collections/new/products/whale-god-blu-ray

Thanks for this! SRS was under my radar so I scooped up a few kaiju movies, including that one.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The UHD versions on Max streaming are a horrible smeary mess. I was hoping the discs would be better and saw decent reviews online, but maybe not? :sigh:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

You're supposed to watch Lord of the Rings on DVD

On what now?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
MyMovies works great for me. Scanning UPCs makes adding movies a breeze, and I'd procrastinate it otherwise.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Same here. I got Howl From Beyond the Fog in the same order and watched it first, an interesting kaiju movie using puppets/dolls for all the characters, and a frankly pretty great kaiju suit. It's only 35 minutes but the equally long behind the scenes was fun.

The subtitles were really terribly done though. Like unedited machine translation bad. The puppets are also expressionless and not particularly well voice acted, so it really made the story a struggle.

Hopefully they gave Whale God a better treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

PinkoBastard posted:

I recently stumbled on a bootleg DVDR site that had a bunch of rarities, but also widely available stuff (Godzilla vs Megalon, for instance) and it led me to wonder: Who are the people keeping these sites alive, and what are they buying?

I think the age range of people who know how to download movies and get them on their TV is fairly narrow