Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Just had Hit the Road arrive this morning, only had time to rewatch the first ten minutes but picture quality on my mum's 4K LG OLED is fantastic. Looking forward to watching it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Speaking of Tammy and the T-Rex, did anyone post this cut of the trailer? Saw it a few months ago at the Prince Charles (before Mad God?) and I knew what film it was - thanks RLM - but it got a big laugh from the audience at the reveal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s2TjMvBmKuo

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I picked up two different Empire of Light posters last night from a big charity pile my local Cineworld had of them - being a massive fan of anything Trent Reznor does I'm pretty happy with that. I've now got four UK quads (30in x 40in) to frame - the others are for Men and Nope - and for the frames I'm looking at paying £150+ each with the UV protection perspex and non-acid backing and all that. Plus I've got another six or so of varying sizes from various gigs I went to last year.

Have we got a framing thread in one of the other creative forums as I'm looking to do them myself and would appreciate some pointers?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yep, no region coding, though stupidly the Blu-ray copy and bonus disks probably will be.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
A day in the office, so of course I went to HMV and spent more money - got the 2022 Curzon Blu-ray release of Paris, Texas, which will be my first Wim Wenders film when I eventually get around to watching it (I'm currently on a ratio of buying five films for every one I watch) - on sale for £12 which ain't too bad.

Also picked up on sale the new 4K remaster of Croupier - after seeing Get Carter at the BFI Southbank last year I've been looking to see some more of Mike Hodges' films - it's nice he got to see some of them re-released and to do new interviews and Q&As before his death this year.

And finally got the Arrow 4K special edition of Wolf of Wall Street, down to £20 which ain't too bad when it comes with all the extra bits and booklets.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's not really a thing with Blu-rays and modern TVs which have multiple refresh rate options. One thing that can be an issue is Blu-rays which are only available interlaced, which can look bad on an LCD.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Arrow release of The Long Good Friday turned up yesterday, just in time (along with their 4K release of the good Crash, which I've never seen). I saw it once, years ago, on TV and so all I could remember was the final shot, which I didn't even remember accurately anyway. A fantastic quality transfer and restoration, and really well shot with some inventive camera movements.

A great look at 1979 London, and funny to see Hoskin's character comment on what slums certain London houses were, when these days they'd be going for £1 million easy.

Also featured an early appearance of Pierce Brosnan.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Speaking of blu-ray dot com, I downloaded their app earlier as I've got to the stage of not being able to remember, when browsing at an irl store, if I've already bought a particular film. After scanning in all my discs (currently at 198, with a few DVD/Blu-ray duplicates), I can see I've got 95 unwatched films/TV shows. I really shouldn't buy any more, but HMV have got loads of Arrow releases on sale at £10 :mildpanic:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The idealised fantasy version of British teenage life is Skins, the reality for most was more like the Inbetweeners.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

I've been wanting a setup like that for a while, so I can do raw rips of all my discs - couple of quick questions please: how many films and TV shows does that hold in total, what are you playing it back through, and how noisy is it?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Nice, my copy of the Arrow 4K release of The Lighthouse has been dispatched. Too bad I'll be down in London at the BFI Film on Film Festival when it's due to arrive.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I much prefer the grain on an older film that was finished on film, rather than artificial smoothing being applied over everything - doesn't even need to be 4K if it's a well-encoded transfer, the Arrow Video Blu-ray release of Long Good Friday has some nice grain while still being high quality.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
HMV in the UK currently have Arrow Video releases on sale again, so yesterday I got tempted by the 4K special edition of the Sisters Brothers - wasn't keen enough to pay full price but I'll have it at a discount. Amazingly I managed to avoid buying any more releases, after buying this lot the last time they were on sale.

I've only watched Thief so far but the video quality was great for a 1080p Blu-ray.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well HMV know how to get my money - by having another Arrow sale. King of New York is the first 4K disc I've bought that has the slimmer US-style case which I've had on a few other releases. Of the Blaxploitation genre I've only seen Coffy (watched it last year with Pam Grier herself introducing the film and doing a Q&A afterwards), so I'm looking forward to seeing Foxy Brown. I also bought The Holy Mountain recently so depending on intense El Topo is I might make a double bill out of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
A shame that Memento boxset isn't in 4K, and from the description it's not even a new scan and encode - the bonus disc with the chronological version isn't in HD either.

edit: OK, this is much more interesting, a new Blu-Ray release of Nolan's first film, Following. Plus, as with the Memento set, it's got new interviews and commentary tracks.

edit2: pre-ordered it

Carpet fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 3, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Give us all of PTA's films on 4K you cowards!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Tesh posted:

What should I grab from the Arrow sale at B&N? Are any of their 4K releases a must-buy?

The Long Good Friday
Day of the Jackal
Thief

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I've got two wide and one narrow Billy shelves, bolted together for extra stability - I do keep having to move other things like books off them to fit more Blu-rays on though. Also regarding getting started, after I got my first (4K) Blu-ray player in 2020, I went and ordered 6 4K films to get me started (still haven't watched They Live though). Now I tend to buy in person at HMV stores because I enjoy the physical browsing experience there and the minor thrill of finding a movie I've not seen but heard about (I think the vast majority are films I've never seen before), or one that has a nice cover, or is on sale.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I don't know how many UK posters we have in here, but the BFI store has a 3-for-£20 offer on select BFI releases (which normally retail for £17 each), which means instead of spending £255 on 15 films I've only spent £85 (which does include my BFI membership discount). I do need to broaden my cinematic horizons, especially with films made pre-1980s so I've got a good selection, from Cassavetes, to Bresson, to Truffaut, to Battleship Potemkin.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
In a case of excellent timing I just saw and bought a good condition, second hand copy of the Criterion release of Ugetsu from my local Cex, after seeing Hideo Kojima choose it as one of his Criterion closet picks.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Acquired the 4K of The Driver for £12 and the Kielslowski 'Cinema of Conflict' boxset for £30 at my local HMV, which I think the cashier said was mislabelled but they still honoured the price. Considering it's normally £50 I think that's not bad (though I might have given them the impression I was going to flip it in eBay), if only I could now get a good deal on the Three Colors 4K set.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah the Blu-Ray dot com app works well for me, being able to scan the barcodes saved me a load of time when I first installed the app, though you have to use the desktop version of the website if you want to get any more information on a release, and the un-mutable ads they have on their homepage now are pretty annoying.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I literally checked the Oppenheimer steelbook availability in the UK last night and there was no sign of it, but checking this evening I see it was announced a few hours later and it's already sold out goddamnit

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Second Sight have announced their UK release of Mean Streets on 4K including booklet and art cards, for 50 whole British pounds, which seems excessive. The set looks nice and the booklet has some essays by writers I like but does anybody actually do anything with those art cards? Of all the releases I've bought with them included (MUBI likes to include them a lot) they just stay in the case.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like there's criterion 4k coming soon?

I think the US gets the Criterion, UK gets the Second Sight release. Looks like there is a standard edition for a more reasonable price, but the special still shouldn't cost that much.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It was delayed for two months but my bumper sale purchases from the BFI Shop have arrived - I just need time to watch all of them now. I've got a few that would be good Halloween watches tonight, but I'm already going to the cinema for some mystery screenings.

Also does The 400 Blows go at the start of my shelf with 2001: ASO, or under F for Four?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Shout/Scream Factory are bringing out a 4K HDR release of The Dead Zone, from a new scan of the original camera negatives. Extras include a new audio commentary with Mike Flanagan and Scott Wampler.

quote:

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY:

NEW 4K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE (2023)
DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker Mike Flanagan And Eric Vespe And Scott Wampler Of The Kingcast
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Mark Irwin
Audio Commentary With Film Historian Michael Gingold
Audio Commentary with Film Historian/Author Dr. Steve Haberman And Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr
Audio Commentary With Film Music Historian Daniel Schweiger With Isolated Score Selections
Optional English subtitles for the main feature

DISC TWO - BLU-RAY:

NEW 4K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE (2023)
DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker Mike Flanagan And Eric Vespe And Scott Wampler Of The Kingcast
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Mark Irwin
Audio Commentary With Film Historian Michael Gingold
Audio Commentary with Film Historian/Author Dr. Steve Haberman And Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr
Audio Commentary With Film Music Historian Daniel Schweiger With Isolated Score Selections
"Sarah's Story" – An Interview With Actress Brooke Adams
"Cold Visions: Producing The Dead Zone" – Featuring Interviews With Production Manager John M. Eckert And Associate Producer Jeffrey Chernov
Trailers From Hell - Mick Garris On The Dead Zone
"Memories From The Dead Zone"
"The Look Of The Dead Zone"
"Visions Of The Dead Zone"
"The Politics Of The Dead Zone"
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Behind-The-Scenes Still Gallery
Optional English subtitles for the main feature

One of those films where I've only ever seen clips of the ending, but never the whole thing, so I'm hoping this release is of a good quality.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well I made out like a bandit (but so did my bank account) with the HMV Black Friday weekend sale - 20% off plus through a sneaky method an extra 20% off that discounted price with a refer a friend code - pro-tip you can recommend yourself if your email provider ignores periods in email addresses. So it has meant I went and bought a load of Criterion Collection releases for around £11 each, including Certain Women, which I've been desperate to watch since seeing Lily Gladstone in KotFM, and lots of Wes Anderson films as the packaging on those is usually pretty nice.

I did miss out on Grand Budapest Hotel and the Scorsese Shorts release due to their website being shite, but I suppose it did save me some money.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The people on the forums hate it though, apparently it's over sharpened and had some AI denoising applied, followed by new fake grain being added.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
They're doing a less limited edition set but it's still £45.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Looks like these are the extras for the £45 set - aside from the steelbook case, double sided poster and booklet, it's mostly art cards, which while nice to look at once, I've never found anything useful to do with them - maybe someone more creative than me might create a collage from multiple titles.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Another film being released on Blu-ray in the US before a UK theatrical release date...

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I think the problem is that he does look at them, but demands heavy DNR because he doesn't like film grain.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I do seem to have a knack lately of buying Blu-rays that then get a 4K release 6 months later before I've had a chance to watch them, so you're welcome - it's happened to me with The Lighthouse, Blood Simple, Natural Born Killers, and now Existenz.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
That Primer set looks great, just a shame that buying it means Shane Carruth will make money from it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Arrow's Blu-ray of The Long Good Friday already looks great, interesting to see how the 4K improves on it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
You should watch Gosford Park.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's up on HMV as well so you'd better believe I pre-ordered that as fast as possible.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
On the score, or as a prop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is that a grocery store? Surely you want discs competitively priced so that shoppers impulse buy them, exactly for a "oh let's watch a movie tonight" situation. The Barbie 4k price is ridiculous as well, I paid less than that for the steelbook.