Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

It's perfectly appropriate. Ian Flynn's stuff is always accessible and never gets heavier than a saturday morning cartoon.

Except maybe the parts when he took over involving the Egg Grapes, those things were hosed up by regular comics standards, let alone something meant for kids like a Sonic The Hedgehog comic is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Eh.

It's nothing harder than stuff from Justice League Unlimited, which was still a kids' show at the end of the day.

JLU was a rare exception for the era

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you seen kids shows these days? They're pretty candid about people dying. DuckTales even.

These days sure, this was more than a decade ago though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nigel Kitching and Lew Stringer were writing her like that in 1994. :v:

Too lazy to look those guys up right now, are you talking about Archie or Fleetway here?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Fleetway

I've heard good things about that version of Amy, although whenever I've looked up anything Fleetway related, the art is just almost universally mediocre

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Caidin posted:

I don't really understand how Tangles tail works, like she wraps it around some robots and pulls on it and they just sorta explode?

I like to imagine that if she ever appeared in a game she'd play like Stretch Panic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, the story's escalating pretty well. I'm sure we all saw what was coming after seeing the testing for the Metal Virus, but what happened to Rough and Tumble still affected me more than I thought it would.

They'll probably be back to normal after this arc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The problem is if we don't allow Archie stuff to be discussed than this thread will probably see maybe four or five posts a month tops as there isn't really all that much to actually discuss regarding the IDW comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Veotax posted:

Yeah, this thread is pretty dead most of the time. It's normally three or so posts every time an issue comes out and then no discussion.

Personally I think it would be better served as a general Sonic comics thread.

Agreed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the thing that most amazes me about Ken Penders is that he hasn't gotten stabbed or shot by a crazed fan yet*

*heck I'll fully admit that if I were to find out tomorrow that I had terminal cancer, I'd be very tempted to do it myself

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Dude. Not cool.

I was joking, admittedly I probably should have made that more clear

Besides Penders is a jackass

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly this is probably Eggman's most evil plan yet.

I dunno, The Egg Grapes are kinda a hard thing to top in terms of evilness

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forgot about the Grapes, but this is also pretty bad, right up there with them.

Honestly I'm not really seeing it, it's basically just a repackaged version of Robotification from the Archie/SATAM universes, not to mention it is definitely going to get undone by the end of this arc anyways(they made it too virulent in nature to be a long term threat)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Egg Grapes were a Power Source he created. Person goes in and their life force is drained to power his machines until they die. Also they get poisoned and memory wiped while in the grapes.

Notably Charmy got stuck in one and came out literally retarded, in a really hamfisted way to reconcile their version(who was a teenager) with Sega's version(who is like 6), at least until they retconned everything after the second Mega Man crossover

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Keeping in mind that he was basically in charge of putting out the eternal tire fire that was Penders’, leavings one screwup like that was probably inevitable.

That said one has to laugh how he’s the first non bg character casualty of the outbreak.

Which automatically takes any real sting out of it, the moment they had a Sega character get infected it became obvious that it will get undone

Basically they were kinda screwed in making anyone really care about this arc either way, cause if they had kept it to just background characters and OG characters sure they could have higher stakes but no one really gives a poo poo yet about any of them except maybe Tangle since the comic has only been going for a year, and there was no way that Sega would let anything permanent happen to any of their characters either

Basically Ian should have waited another year or two before doing this sort of arc to give people more time to give a poo poo about the non Sega characters so that there could be some real tension

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't had the chance to read the last two issues, but considering this thread is dead, I'm going to assume not much happened.

This whole arc has basically been filler, which is a pretty horrid thing considering how long it's been going for and how much longer it's probably going to last

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

It's a zombie story except there's a 100% guarantee everyone will be turned back to normal at the end with no major consequences. There are neat stuff but I don't think this arc was a good idea with the restrictions given, also doing it so early.

Exactly, this should have been 2, maybe 3 issues tops

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

To be fair, characters quoting song lyrics about them is kind of Ian Flynn's thing. It happened a few times in World's Collide and the Mega Man comics too, like when Protoman quoted "I'm not the Breakman" before fighting Mega Man in the Mega Man 3 adaptation.

Or Doctor Light quoting the robot hair line

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly at this point I wouldn't be all that surprised if this arc gets resolved through a time travel reset or something, well either that or basically everyone gets turned into a Zombot and it turns out that the cure inflicts some minor amnesia and wipes most everyone's memories of this whole mess, feels like it's otherwise going to leave things too broken to really do anything with afterwards

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Whatever the resolution is, much like Forces itself it'll kind of have to involve something Silver did, otherwise the future he returned to comes to pass.

Hence why I'm hedging on Time Travel Nonsense being used to resolve this arc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Mask posted:

These are the old Sega Mandates that seem relevant to the new IDW comic. Do you think they all still apply?

Based on the comic so far.
Slashed out ones are ones that don't seem to apply anymore
Underlined ones are debatable.

If I remember correctly these mandates are something we've never had full confirmation that they actually exist as a hard set of rules, well besides the ones involving probable rights issues like characters from any of the shows besides the first two that Archie is derived from, like we've had Ian talk about when SEGA told him he couldn't do something or had to make a change and those line up with most of those mandates

Though if they do in fact exist than it's prime evidence that SEGA are a bunch of overly controlling morons(not to mention it's ridiculously inconsistent that they're so controlling with the comics when they are so loose with literally every other Sonic adaptation that exists), like no wonder the IDW comics have been so stagnant, at least the Archie universe still had a bunch of characters not tied down by those restrictions that Ian could actually make a story with(when you reread them you quickly come to realize that while Sonic and the other SEGA characters would seemingly get the most focus, all of the actually interesting stuff involved the non games characters, with a slight exception regarding Eggman), while with IDW he's still mostly stuck with the game characters who he can't really do anything with, like it probably won't be able to be actually good long term for at least another two to four years until the IDW universe has built up a large enough roster of OC's who are as restricted in nature

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to give them the benefit of the doubt the last time they stopped paying attention to the Sonic comic you got Penders.

Well that's more a matter of him being poo poo than anything actually requiring that ridiculous amount of restrictions

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Perpetual Motion posted:

IIRC, most of what Ian Flynn has talked about in recent years is limitations on what characters he's allowed to use. Mighty, Ray, and the extended Sonic the Fighters cast are all "Classic Universe" exclusive because of their appearance in Sonic Mania, for example. There are also some smaller things like Metal Sonic having to be mute in his base form, and a lot of guesses and inferences with regards to Shadow's portrayal and personality, given some off the record remarks Ian has made and the stark contrast between Archie Shadow and modern game/IDW Shadow.

Other than that, we don't really know, and there haven't really been any explicit dodges around these ideas in the stories, or at least not any that get in the way of what's being portrayed.

Again see my point about SEGA being morons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Onmi posted:

the mandates came about as a direct response for what happened in the comics before, due to Penders, Bollers, and Archie as a whole. To ask them to remove them, would be to go "Yeah yeah just trust things will be fine again, just because the last time you let them have free reign, you wound up with an utter shitshow of a comic that was damaging the brand. And then you got involved in several lawsuits. You definitely don't need to care."

Of all the things Sega is being, stupid isn't one of them with having a strict list of "poo poo you aren't allowed to do." After the last time. Yes, it may have been different people that trashed the house, but if it were you, you'd keep the rules on them anyway, because you've seen how bad it can get.

Honestly I'd say the mandates are more damaging to Sonic as a brand than anything Penders did, cause sure Penders stuff was terrible but at least it was an interesting kind of terrible, meanwhile IDW Sonic has been almost entirely bland mush that is not really worth reading in any respect at all

Or to put it another way the worst thing Sonic as a franchise can ever be is boring or bland and that's basically all that IDW Sonic has been

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Right now the biggest thing hurting the brand/franchise right now is Sega's games, am I right? :downsrim: heyooooooo I'll be here all week folks

I think we can all agree that SEGA should have died years ago, almost any company would handle it's IP's better than them

Also what games, it's been several years since Mania and Forces came out and not counting the newest one of those Olympic Games crossovers with Mario*, we haven't heard a peep from SEGA about the next game in the franchise, like I think this might be the longest the franchise has gone without there either being a newly released game or one that's been publicly announced to be in development

*honestly it's weird that they've been doing those games for the better part of a decade now and yet they still haven't tried doing a more conventional crossover between Mario and Sonic(not counting Smash)

Kurui Reiten posted:

These mandates aren't coming from Sega as a monolithic company that is of one mind. They're coming from the marketing department handling a licensed comic, with the addition of a legal department that has already been burned due to negligence. The point of the comic to Sega's side of the equation is not to tell deep, meaningful stories. It is to have another way to market Sonic to kids.

Saying Sega is being dumb is completely ignoring what the situation actually is. These are very clearly the rules of a marketing rep protecting the marketable characters' images. To have Sega tell IDW "do whatever you want" would be just inviting trouble, because the purpose of the comics is to sell Sonic, and sell his merch, and sell his games.

This isn't a Transformers situation where the primary purpose is to provide fiction for a toyline. This isn't a Megaman situation where the franchise was all but dead, and the comics were essentially retelling the story of the franchise but expanded.

The Sonic comics are part of a living franchise, with a cast of characters that Sega wants to keep reasonably consistent across media. He just had a movie that made a gently caress ton of money, they don't want to rock the boat.

Nah they're still being morons, besides the comics have honestly been really lovely at being advertisements for the games basically their entire existence, often because SEGA wouldn't allow Archie, Fleetway, or IDW to do it right

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Mask posted:

Well to be fair they were about to announce the next sonic game, but the outbreak caused South by Southwest 2020 to be canceled so they had to reschedule their accountant. It was pushed back to this month, but its hard to say if that will still happen or in what format it will be revealed. I wonder if they would try a Sega Direct kind of thing.

Oh didn't know that

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, uh, what exactly do you consider to be "right", when it comes to Sonic comics? It sounds like none of the companies' approaches have appealed to you. Considering the massive coverage of the styles of all three combined, I honestly have no idea what you want.

Honestly I actually do like most of what Archie was doing once Ian took over and cleaned up the mess Penders had left up through the cancellation, and I've only read a little Fleetway in truth(really hard to read due to how much of a prick Sonic is in that version), I just also know that Ian could be doing so much better at IDW if he wasn't so bound by the Mandates(though it probably would have been better if he had avoided any long arcs for a couple years so he could build up more in the way of an OC cast that he can actually do interesting things with rather than dive right into doing big arcs)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I'm also hoping that since they are using the mobians have their own world, and humans have their own world concept from sonic x.

They should do a storyline that takes place between sonic unleashed and sonic colors where it shows sonic and friends going from earth back to mobius. Because I'd like some clairifaction about the events of SA, Sonic Battle, SA2, Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Unleashed. I think it be really lame if they removed Maria and Gerald Robotnik from shadows history in this contunity, and having a story that explains them being on earth for a while from sonic adventure 1 up till sonic unleashed would be nice since humans were important to those games storylines.

Maybe thet went to earth to get the chaos emerald that some how got sent there, and they manged to get there by warping angel island there to explain how chaos and the master emerald would be on earth for sonic adventure 1.

Oof I'm getting all fan fictiony now.

Don't worry about it, I have fanfic thoughts occasionally too, like what I would do if I were in charge of a Sonic reboot(that presumably is under less restrictions than IDW Sonic is), regarding Humans in such a scenario my take on it would probably be something along the lines of having them be present on the same world as Sonic(as it makes things less convoluted) but they aren't native to it either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skeletome posted:

So what was the point of that amnesia bit if it was so simply resolved lol?

My guess is that before COVID caused all sorts of delays that the original plan was for Sonic to spend several issues in Blaze's world before coming back, but they had to cut it short because of that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I know it's a laser gun but I got a kick out of Eggman just pulling out a loving gun to shoot at everyone when the mech started failing. Also poor Gemerl just cannot get a win, huh?

Not to mention said gun basically being a slightly scaled down version of the gun from BLAME

As for poor Gemerl, I'd say it's less getting Worfed and more that Eggman had specifically planned for him with a countermeasure that would not only remove him from the fight but also give his rushed and ramshackle robot a needed boost

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Veotax posted:

I didn't know Bad Guys was out, thanks for posting about it!

I enjoyed it, did sigh a bit when I saw that Zavok was part of it, but then I never played Lost World so I have no connection to the character. I dunno', the Deadly Six just don't really feel like Sonic characters to me, they just feel out of place.

I'm guessing Zavok was a SEGA mandate to be included as otherwise the team would be only OC characters, and Zavok is basically the only villain from the games that was really usable since SEGA doesn't like having dead villains show up, not to mention the restrictions on using Classic era characters and most other Modern villains are a bit too large scale in nature to be on a team like this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

As best as I can tell, Sega simply does not want the cast to be characters. It wants them to be icons a la Sanrio.

Or to put it another way Sega are morons and always have been

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Have we ever had a bad Robotnik/Eggman?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

In the newest issue there's a panel where Sonic talks about how everyone wants to just forget about the Metal Virus and pretend it hadn't happened and that felt kinda meta like that even IDW is indirectly admitting that story arc was a mistake

Overall an okay issue but it's really obvious how badly the people working on these comics are dealing with all of Sega's insane and inane mandates that are crippling the comic and indeed this entire franchise's potential

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Ian's talked about how he doesn't like the term Mandates (which was first mentioned by Penders) because it implies a set in stone 10 commandments sort of deal rather than a culmination of the notes he's gotten on his scripts that change priorities over time. The impression I've gotten from the bumblekast is that since Sega are more directly involved with IDW than Archie, that ironically means that there are some things they're more lenient on (though it also means a lot of the loopholery that Ian did back at Archie at times can't really be done anymore); multiple times on the Bumblekast Ian's mentioned how he's be surprised with what he has been allowed to do in IDW that he wasn't in Archie. The one real sega request that's really gotten in the way is how to write Shadow, and even then it sounds more like it messed up the Crisis City story specifically (since that story was probably planned with how Ian wrote Shadow in Archie in mind) rather than IDW as a whole; all Ian had to do to change how he wrote Shadow in issue 31 was make an external monolouge into an internal one, and while Evan's mentioned that she did have to do rewrites wrt Shadow in Chao Races and Badnik Bases, the fact that she went into it with Shadow's new characterization in mind seemed to make things go a bit smoother.

Honestly that's always just come off as him being political cause he'd get fired if he told the truth but he'd gain the ire of the fandom if he just ignored those kind of questions

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Ian definitely comes off these days as being excited over the fact that he's no longer the writer and has another fellow main writer to bounce off of (mentioning that Zeti Hunt would've turned out differently if it weren't for what Evan's written). The fact that he now has a gig working at Aether studios as the head writer probably helps offset the less work he's getting otherwise.

like he has mentioned as an example of Sega changing their mind on things that Sega's changed their minds on him over the years on whether or not Charmy was wearing a helmet or if that was just Part of His Head

Which one is the current one?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

IIRC it's a helmet but I'd have to relisten to that bumblekast

Also I doubt Ian is lying when saying Sega lets them get away with more than you'd think because he's pretty openly grumpy about their take on shadow specifically, to a level that he'd likely tone down if he was trying to play nice.

It's less that he's lying and more that he's probably being very careful with his words

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly hope SEGA uses this as a chance to just ruin Penders life with litigation

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I just realized that no one in this thread has said literally anything about the Trial by Fire arc (i.e. the story from issues 45-47). I say I really like Matt Froese's ink work; IDW artists usually do their own inks (though it seems like separate inkers are starting to pop up more often), as opposed to Archie where it was a rule that artists couldn't do their own inks outside of a few exceptions.

It was okay but it really felt like blatant filler, like it's the kind of thing that back in Archie would have been a single issue plot, maybe two if it was a backup feature

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Ian Flynn himself has mentioned that he dislikes the term "mandates" (which was first used by Penders late into his run) because it implies a hard set of rules that must be followed, when in reality the situation is more that (as standard with any licensed piece of media) whenever Sega reviews a comic script they generally note if there's things they want changed, and Sega's exact whims can vary and shift over the years. Notably the change in publishers gave an opportunity for Sega to form a different dynamic with IDW than they had with Archie (whose dynamic hadn't actually changed that much from the 90s to when it was cancelled; though notably when the Sonic Universe book was launched, since it was a "new" book, it was being overseen by Sega of Japan vs the main book being overseen by Sega of America); Ian has noted that while there's some ways where IDW Sonic is more tightly controlled than Archie, the closer involvement with Sonic Team has actually allowed for a lot of other factors being loosened, with there being a bunch of things that Ian said he wouldn't be allowed to do back at Archie that they're okay with at IDW. Not to mention the closer relationship with Sega means that actual Sonic Team artists have involvement and input on the designs of the major new characters.

That's always felt like a lie on Ian's part as the character writing and world building since the IDW jump feels way more constrained and limited in what it can do than Archie ever was

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

One of the most direct examples Ian's cited is the fact that Sega was open to having Sonic be infected with the metal virus in the first place and for such a long term period of time.

Like with the major exception of Shadow (in issues 19-20; all Ian needed to do to tweak how Shadow was written in issue 31 was make what he was saying into an internal monologue), the Metal Virus saga as a whole apparently didn't require too many notes and revisions from Sega.

I feel like it's worth noting; a decent amount of the differences in characterization between Archie and IDW were actually present back in the Archie reboot

If anything I feel the whole Metal Virus Saga was a mistake both in how long it was(which made it a miserable slog to endure) and how early into the run it was done(that's the kind of story you do when you're 4 to 6 years into a comic's run, not something you pull out barely a year into a comic's run when the world is too unestablished for the audience to really give a poo poo about it possibly being destroyed, especially when by the very nature of it being a licensed comic meant the threat had no real fangs to begin with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly outside of 06(which retcons itself out of existence anyways) most of the games have so little in the way of plot I see no reason why one would need to remove any of them from continuity

Indeed if it weren't for that idiotic and artificial divide Sega has between "Classic" and "Modern" Sonic and how that mucks up what can be used it probably would have been best to do the IDW series as a from the beginning reboot instead of placing it post Forces and resulting in them not actually being able to use much from the games at all