Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

olives black posted:

Yeah, he does appear to have matured a little on that front in recent years. I don't feel like it's my place to comment on the sharing of songwriting credit as I'm not in the biz, but I I like think that I would have been very conscious of the importance of presenting a unified front to the media at all times.
Here's the interview I've cited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLvqzWSRwnA
To his credit, I buy his excuse that he was young and inexperienced. I also get the impression (from this and other interviews) that he did not grow up with means and had a terrible role model in his father.

So for him to ignore the advice he was given at the time seems understandable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Billy is such a weird/dumb person that him being mad that James released an album right before a Pumpkins release and not being present at the studio sessions. Is it reasonable to release your own solo work and maybe not want to be in the studio with Billy Corgan? Sure. But I can definitely understand it getting to Billy.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Youtube rip of the Acoustic livestream is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GbT5Xs51Q

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

Noise Machine posted:

Youtube rip of the Acoustic livestream is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GbT5Xs51Q

Wow this was really good!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Jimmy has the sweetest fuckin drum kit I swear to god

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Jeff left the band. Maybe here’s where we find out he was the one holding them back all along! (I’m joking)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

The Black Stones posted:

Jeff left the band. Maybe here’s where we find out he was the one holding them back all along! (I’m joking)

James must have put his foot down about actually playing something if he's back in the band.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Black Stones posted:

I was reading the Stereogum article about it, and this comment made me :lol:

A Stereogum Commenter posted:

Not saying this is the case but I’m just imagining being in my 50s and sweaty Billy Corgan is dressed like a space pope and chewing me out like JK Simmons in Whiplash.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bilbo Corgins posted:

We thank Jeff for his ceaseless dedication to the band and our great fans. Words can not express our gratitude and appreciation for the friend he is, and being there for SP in the good times and the tough times, too.

This is positively glowing for Billy, even when Jimmy quit the last time Billy's public statement was to call him "a loving liar."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yesterday was the anniversary of Mellon Collie and there was this cute pic someone saved that they did from the 90s. Thought it was great.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Please give me the Machina double album remaster so I can rid myself of this curse

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just go listen to other bands, it's not hard.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

He seems like a really nice guy and very talented, I hope he lands on his feet and can find success. I thought it was ridiculous when the Chili Peppers kicked Josh out the band because of John's ego when returning (and Josh had been their second guitarist on tours so wtf?) but he's since done some stuff that's showcased how talented he is.

They should make a band together with other talented musicians that leave or get booted from decades old bands. I actually can't think of any right now but Nine Inch Nails isn't really doing anything and the live band has some absurdly talented musicians that aren't doing anything as far as I know which seems like a huge waste :(

Seaniqua posted:

Please give me the Machina double album remaster so I can rid myself of this curse

This has been me for so long now. I'm just waiting for that and then I can stop paying attention to the Pumpkins.

In other news, Czech village priest sorry for smashing pumpkins

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My understanding with the RHCP thing was Josh and Flea did not get along once it became a collaborative songwriting partnership instead of an employee "here are your parts, play this" relationship.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

SUNKOS posted:

I thought it was ridiculous when the Chili Peppers kicked Josh out the band because of John's ego when returning (and Josh had been their second guitarist on tours so wtf?) but he's since done some stuff that's showcased how talented he is.

This song rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTb1YAP5B10

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding with the RHCP thing was Josh and Flea did not get along once it became a collaborative songwriting partnership instead of an employee "here are your parts, play this" relationship.

Hmmm, one guitarist killed himself, the next quit after like three weeks, the one after that was an easily controlled child who still quit after the band's most successful album of all time, the next guitarist was an established rock star who quit after one album, easily controlled child came back and then quit again, actual musician lasted one album then was forced out, child back again.

I don't think John is the problem, it seems like Flea might be a huge gaping rear end in a top hat when it comes to rhcp guitarists

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Flea and Kiedis have a very specific working dynamic between them and I think they both struggle a lot to work with someone who can't do that. To be fair, Slovak "killed himself" accidentally with an OD, and I think Klinghoffer (and Navarro?) were fired, or at least the departure was mutual. I think Flea's probably a difficult guy to work with unless it's exactly the right conditions, but that's a lot of rock stars once they hit 30 years into their career.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My one interaction with Flea he seemed like a primadonna and wouldn't let me shake his hand as he just washed... i think? it was about 20 years ago. The rest of the band were chill as gently caress though. Chad Smith and I just sat together listening to John's new upcoming album.

"STRAIGHT TO THE TOP!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yay... Happy (?) one year anniversary to Atum, is guess.

:confuoot:

Edit: I guess I should say "Hooray!"

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yay... Happy (?) one year anniversary to Atum, is guess.

:confuoot:

Edit: I guess I should say "Hooray!"

Even Billy forgot that album existed

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Has it seriously already been a year? Feels like it's just been a few months.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's because it took like 6 months to come out and you've probably still only listened to it once, if that.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's because it took like 6 months to come out and you've probably still only listened to it once, if that.

I've made it through the first 13 songs. I just can't get in to it. The drums are so disappointing to me. Did Jimmy do the drums on the album? I know he's much better than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If I don't hear 8th note hi-hats when Jimmy's playing, it's just not the same.

Mike Byrne was great, very talented, but there felt like there was less expressiveness in the songs he had played on Oceania (did he play on other albums?)

Jimmy is both a wonderful drummer on a technical level, as well as how much feeling he adds to it all.

Jazz + Rock drumming, my goons.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jimmy did play on this but I agree that it all sounds kind of flat and listless. I wonder if it's just them not really opening up or whatever these days, it sounds like everything's set to a click.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I actually can't think of any right now but Nine Inch Nails isn't really doing anything and the live band has some absurdly talented musicians that aren't doing anything as far as I know which seems like a huge waste :(

Some of them are touring with Danny Elfman right now lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't Trent say he's not touring anymore, at least for a while?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Noise Machine posted:

This is good.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I still like ATUM. It's not the greatest record b0lly ever made, but there is a lot going for it.

Jimmy said in an interview that they do in fact listen to the Top 40 before they make a record in order to stay relevant and contemporary. While a lot of fans don't want them, I give them credit for taking the dive to use what they like from modern pop for their own music.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't Trent say he's not touring anymore, at least for a while?

yeah I don't think we're going to see a tour for a while, at least in the traditional sense. He's talked a lot about not wanting to spend too much time away from home and his kids.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

According to Wikipedia this occurred after the last show:

quote:

Reznor posted on his Discord after the show, “When/If we tour again, it will be different. Not like [2018's “Cold Black Infinite” tour] era – It’s over.”

I remember watching an interview about their production of Halsey's album where Trent said they took the project on because they'd hit a wall with writing/recording a new NIN album as well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Random YouTube recommendation ... heard acoustic versions before, but this is cool to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCBWs8j4Wk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Random YouTube recommendation ... heard acoustic versions before, but this is cool to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCBWs8j4Wk

Isn't this the Viewphoria performance? I mean the one that was included into Viewphoria. Still great, I had forgotten about it but still remembered when the "woo" and "uh huh" came in.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't this the Viewphoria performance? I mean the one that was included into Viewphoria. Still great, I had forgotten about it but still remembered when the "woo" and "uh huh" came in.

Yup. MTV Europe.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I always forget that performance isn't from the legendary 666 tape because he's wearing that loving 666 sweater in this video but the isn't in the 666 tape.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Got the MCIS 4LP box set and it's very nice. Nicer than I had expected.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I just saw on Facebook they’re looking for a guitarist (not bass).

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Cemetry Gator posted:

I just saw on Facebook they’re looking for a guitarist (not bass).

I'm gonna apply for real

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bet it's going to be like when they were hiring a piano player for the Adore tour and they just put out an open call for tapes and got about 200,000 tapes of just random mofos playing a piano and Billy was like "gently caress it we'll just hire Mike Garson" without listening to any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
what does he expect to happen? bald moron