Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Willy J Crogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

He has a new Sig from Reverend which looks 800000x better

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

It looks like a still from Team America

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

It's the next teargarden installment

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ballz posted:

Mellon Collie and Machina are two completely different albums what the gently caress even is a "sequel" to both of them?

They are the last two albums with Jimmy and James both in the lineup, and the last time Billy was culturally relevant. He's hoping he can "the secret" that second part into being true again

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

That video just gets more and more cringingly embarassing the further on it goes. Don't put your kids in the video. Don't put your amateur wrestlers in the video. Don't leave the gaff marks on the floor because you don't wanna spend $300 having someone paint them out. Don't put gaff marks on the floor if everyone's going to miss them anyway.

And for the love of everything good in the world, if those two lovely singers who've been all over the last three pumpkins albums haven't hosed you by now Billy, they aren't going to. Stop putting them in everything.

That man needs to be mercilessly bullied.until.he starts having a sense of perspective again.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I feel like I need to design a Smashing Pumpkins fan recovery program for y'all. They loving suck and have for decades now. Think about how lovely RHCP or Weezer currently are and reflect on the fact that SP are way worse and more embarrassing.

Weezer and RHCP never released anything beyond "ok I guess". RHCP's whole gimmick is being embarassing and Weezer are, well, fuckin Weezer.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that was kind of a thing with James at first; I know with the first reunion tour it was just the albums he played on, and I think the next tour the only song from the Jamesless years was Tiberius.

I also wonder if the really static setlists and playing everything to a click, with the entire show timed down to the second was a condition for James coming back. I know it makes it easier, but I've heard comments about Billy and Jimmy bristling at it a little.

Is there anything Tool can't manage to make worse somehow?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm at the sp show rn and Jane's addiction is the opener and it's loving awfulllllk

How many actual members of Jane's addiction are actually left in the band now? From memory Eric Avery quit three seconds after they reformed, Perry Farrell got injured during the first song, and didn't Navarro say something about quitting as well?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yea, this is roughly my opinion. The weirdest thing to me about it is that its not only a Smashing Pumpkins album, but is billed as a sequel to MCIS and Machina when it sounds absolutely nothing like either of those albums. If it'd been a Billy solo album then sure, whatever, but it doesn't sound like the rest of the band was even in the same zipcode when this was recorded?

Billy is hoping it's a financial sequel

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

The only reference I'm not getting is issue number 2.

That's a reference to all the albums after machina

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

He's insufferable.

"My hearing is so incredible it tricks me into singing off key" is the most Billy Corgan statement to ever exist.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Happy Hippo posted:

Beato is such a boomer that his kids are named Lennon, Dylan, and Layla

"Can't think of any female musicians at all, guess I'll name my daughter after a song by a racist pedophile"

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, who's this? I'm not arguing your claim, I guess I just don't follow who's into this poo poo.

I assume Clapton from the Layla reference, but I didn't know about the pedophile stuff.

Edit: nm, I just reread and saw that that you wrote 'after a song written by'.

Again, I didn't know about the pedophile stuff.

It's always a safe bet that anyone who held a guitar before 1990 did statutory rapes on the daily.

The easy way to remember is "holding a Strat? Done a stat".

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Really? I would've thought that'd be Sugar Ray or RHCP.

The only song 99% of the world remembers them for is called Santa Monica hth

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I remember them for Heroin Girl :colbert:

It's infinitely better, which is why it's infinitely less popular

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Djarum posted:

I think Art is the only member of the band from when they are popular. I don't have first hand knowledge but supposedly he is a huge rear end in a top hat and a pain in the rear end to work with.

Personally I have never been able to figure out how if you have a successful band you can't keep your poo poo together. In every band I was ever in the issue was always the stuff outside of the band/music; needing to work a day job to survive, etc that caused issues. If you become successful it should be easy street at that point.

I imagine there's a whole different set of pressures loving up the dynamic when you're relying on the income from it to pay your mortgage and you have a whole bunch of industry fucks trying to ruin everything that made you successful in the first place because they're blinded by greed and stupid as hell.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Holy poo poo Billy posted that there's a reissue box set of the Zwan album coming.

On one hand that would be rad, on the other he posts something that everyone wants that never ends up happening like once a week.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

Devin Townsend is the superior pale white, tall as gently caress Nosferatu musician.

I'm sure Devin Townsend is a less embarassing person then Billy, and he probably writes better songs than current pumpkins. However, no one who doesn't mod an incel subreddit has ever heard of him. Billy C is responsible for 2 very good rock albums, 1 great album, and 2 of the most significant in the entire history of the genre.

At least pick someone relevant to the conversation m8

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Noise Machine posted:

We threw a birthday party for Mary Star of The Sea!

My wife did the cake decorating while I "supervised" as we listened to the album

Send it to him I dare you

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man that would sting if anybody on earth listened to billy's podcast and heard him insult you

Today's special guest: Willow Smith

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Bullet with butterfly wings will be in stranger things season 6 and you will rue that post my friend

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

CherryCola posted:

Jumping in here to ONCE AGAIN say that Empires would be actually an okay song without the backing vocals. I’ve been saying this about every single new song I’ve heard from them. Is it just me??? Completely changes the vibe for me.

I really don't understand this cringe rawk mom backing vocals thing these dudes get into when all their bandmates leave. Jim Ward did the same thing on the new Sparta album and it's awful

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

A 45 second clip of Billy Corgan farting on the Joke Rogan show with guest farts from Willow Smith would be better than anything on atum if he just let Jimmy do his actual thing on it.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I have faith that Billy will circle back around to making badass music with loud distorted guitars and banging rear end drums. Someday.

I think the best we can hope for is a dying forgotten star last ditch acoustic album ala Johnny Cash

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lmao

"I've been cancelled, no one likes my music anymore!!!!!!"

"Write good songs again and for fucks sake turn your vocals down in the mix. Way down"

"Cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*Is so successful he can fly his pet professional wrestlers to Australia for some godforsaken reason*

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lmao when a member of static x is clowning on you musically and they're in the right

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I remember having a dream back in the late 90s where Billy explained his shaved head. He said "God tells me what music to write, sends like a divine radio signal right into my brain. Sometimes, it's scratchy, so I shaved my head to get better reception."

It's because he has male pattern baldness op

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The best thing about each new Pumpkins album is it makes the album three or so before seem infinitely better in comparison. Oceania has now reached "good" status.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oceania has always been good, chump.

Officially tho

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

"I've written an epic tone poem based on the novel Siddhartha and I'll be debuting it at my tea shop slash meatless meatball sandwich emporium."
*proceeds to noodle around on synthesizers for 8 hours straight*

This poo poo got me cackling in the bus stop

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

polyester concept posted:

zwan was good and it made me think maybe post-pumpkins billy would still make great music for years to come :negative:

Like many of us, Billy needs someone to be able to bully him to do his best work.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a thing that actually happened.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though? I just have a vague recollection of Billy loving around making music for a really long time in some tea shop somewhere while people just came and went as usual wondering wtf was going on.

You're remembering correctly lol:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ry4zy6/we-watched-billy-corgan-play-an-eight-hour-freeform-synthesizer-interpretation-of-siddartha

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I can't help but suspect the last thing Billy Corgan would EVER do is pay someone to tell him "no".

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I think Jeff knows where his bread is buttered and that Billy's happy to keep working with him. I remember around when James was first coming back there was some talk of Billy and Jeff doing their own thing, I think they just decided gently caress it let's have 3 guitars instead. I think Billy just really likes working with Jeff.

"Yes Billiam that's a great idea".
"Wow how do you still write banger after banger after all these years?"
"Whoah, Butch Vig DID steal your guitar sound for Nevermind".
"You're right, Courtney should have married you instead".

Seems like a fair price to pay for a Yamaha endorsement I guess.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Framboise posted:

shut UP, billy :nallears:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Support Zwan because David Pajo needs all the help he can get. I love him but like all the guys from Slint he's got the sad kind of brainworms (instead of Bilbo's aggravating brainworms) and I really hope he just doesn't need to worry about money, he's got enough on his plate.

He's in the new gang of 4 line up which is a sadly hilarious story in itself and paints Andy Gill as pretty Corgan esque

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

If that was true there is no way they could have released Atum or even attempted to in the first place. It doesn't make sense and I also really doubt that Gish etc. are still selling like crazy all these years after they were reissued. I mean really? There's just crazy demand for Gish vinyls which were released over a decade ago?

Also I just checked and places have them in stock and for sale so yeah...

It's weird he still leans into being a starving artist while being stupidly rich and obsessively bragging about how many popular artists he's outsold (according to David Pajo who I had to look up after an earlier post) and apparently being a ghost writer of some of the biggest hits of the past decade or whatever, which would only make him even more absurdly rich than he already is if true.

Propping up your partners meat free tea Emporium ain't cheap

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

What's funny is they just announced a new archive release of a random show he played at Madame Zuzu's which is vinyl-only. I wonder why they're dedicating such limited resources to that if the reissues that make a fortune but are also not worth releasing (?!) could be pressed instead? :haw:

This is really backwards reasoning. That show was from 4 or 5 years ago, and was professionally recorded. It's not like Corgan woke up last week and drove the master down to his local pressing plant on a whim, if anything the massive delay between the show and its release indicates he's having as hard a time getting poo poo pressed as anyone else who hasn't hosed John Mayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

olives black posted:

You ever get hit with the thought that you're the Billy Corgan in someone else's life story hard enough that it fucks you up for at least a good 5 minutes

Way worse than that, I know I'm the Billy Corgan in my own life story.