Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I saw that Bob Ludwig mastered it and.... :psyduck: That guy is legendary, so I'm really surprised with this. I do love the guitars, though.
When asked about the loving awful sound of Metallica's Death Magnetic, masterer Ted Janson responded, "It was brickwalled when I got it."

quote:

I have to wonder... what went on with the mixing that a) put Corgan's vocals so much in front, and b) that did this to the drums?
I suspect part of the answer to that is contained in your question. :)

Thanks for the reminder about Strays. I've been slightly craving JA lately and that's a good place to revisit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
God drat.

I don't know how I missed it when it comments came out, but now hearing Krist doing a "gotta hand it" to Trump for any reason outweighs any lovely thing I've heard Billy say.

:(

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
After doing a search on "when did krist novoselic become a libertarian" I found this article: https://reason.com/2014/06/19/krist-novoselics-alternative-politics/

I remember reading it and my reaction was mixed at the time, like he'd been watching too much South Park and got infected with their "the truth is in the middle"

And then the gun poo poo at the end of the interview. :rolleyes:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
"Smashing Aumakins ?"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I miss Melissa Auf Der Maur :smith: :canada:
Me too.

Her solo stuff is incredible. I think she's currently doing some kind of arts school while raising children.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
The Smashing Pumpkins: Oh So Sleepy

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Vintersorg posted:

He looks terrible and way overboard on plastic surgery. Plus his voice is shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qXNJtWYGg
As a fan of the original version of Jane's Addiction, I must defend this slander.

Perry's voice has been dogshit since at least the Psi Com days.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

olives black posted:

Still sounds like working with Billy is creatively stifling as gently caress, though.
Back in the early 90s, I was surprised by the Metallica (black album) singles that included demos for the songs along with catty commentary from Lars on the sleeve, like "Jamez and Lars only; Jason and Kirk not around as usual!"

Based on that and other examples (although few so loudly obvious), I grew to understand that it wasn't uncommon for many bands to really be one (or two) person's vision and instead of any kind of democracy. Of course it's always been Billy Corgan's Smashing Pumpkins, James & Lars' Metallica, Kurt Cobain's Nirvana, Dave Grohl's Foo Fighters, Rivers Cuomo's Weezer, Josh Homme's Queens of the Stone Age etc. A degree of control that goes beyond, "Well they're the lead singer so of course the band wouldn't exist or continue without them."

In a Joe Rogan interview, Billy claims he understands that a lot of the Pumpkin's discord was sowed by him not going along with the "social currency" of a band and at least presenting the public the illusion that everyone equally matters. Like instead of taking up a magazine's offer to use only him on the cover, he felt he should have said, "Nope, the entire band or nothing". Another was not sharing songwriting credit so he pulled out far, far ahead of them financially.

Obviously that's his musing and I'd be curious if the other members would agree with those points or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

olives black posted:

Yeah, he does appear to have matured a little on that front in recent years. I don't feel like it's my place to comment on the sharing of songwriting credit as I'm not in the biz, but I I like think that I would have been very conscious of the importance of presenting a unified front to the media at all times.
Here's the interview I've cited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLvqzWSRwnA
To his credit, I buy his excuse that he was young and inexperienced. I also get the impression (from this and other interviews) that he did not grow up with means and had a terrible role model in his father.

So for him to ignore the advice he was given at the time seems understandable to me.